PDA

View Full Version : When you can't get your entire face in the battle.

vamp
08-02-2009, 18:06
How do you work this out.

You have a unit of twenty ghouls lets say. You have 4 ranks of 5. A hero is in the second row in the front rank. You charge and the best you can come up with to meet your enemy with is the last three ghouls in the front rank. ( leaving your hero and another ghoul out of the combat.

Im pretty sure in the next round the hero can move to the fighting because of the rules for moving characters inside units. But what about the left out ghoul in position 1 of the front rank? Can I ever reposition my unit in combat so that all 5 of my units front rank are in combat even though they only were able to meet up with 3? If so how is it done? Where do you find this in the rule book. Searching. Any specific answer is appreciated.

theunwantedbeing
08-02-2009, 18:12
Whn you charge you are supposed to maximise the amount of models in base contact on both sides.
Assuming this is not possible then your stuck in a situation where things are out of combat.

During a combat you can only turn to face the enemy and add ranks if you won the combat.
Chracter's are moved to a fighting position during their movement phase, if not already in one.

In your example that end ghoul is basically stuck out of combat unless the enemy expands their frontage to allow contact with him.

There is no sliding of units.

vamp
08-02-2009, 18:58
That doesn't make any sense. You say Im stuck unless he expands his frontage? Why could he expand his frontage and I cannot?

nosferatu1001
08-02-2009, 20:21
Vamp - you can expand frontage, as long as it brings more models into combat.

Braad
08-02-2009, 20:59
There is 'officially' no sliding of units.

But we do, as there is already to little actual fighting in this wargame.

semersonp
08-02-2009, 21:49
stranded ghoul and...

There is no sliding of units.

this is as close as gw has come to bellying up the bar of 'mea culpa'...

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m470856_Warhammer_FAQ_2008-02_Edition.pdf

pg 6 - appendices

:)

Neckutter
09-02-2009, 02:36
ive heard that there is a "sliding of units" grand tournament rule once, which i find intolerable. but yeah, your one ghoul is stuck out of combat, and your character is stuck out of combat until you can move him during your move phase. also note that lets say that ghoul was your wizard, since you arent in HtH you can shoot magic missles. this was covered in a FAQ, which is kinda neat.

and if you expanded your frontage, it would make you at least 6 models wide, and would screw up your static combat res for your ranks. just be happy that you got the charge off, and have 3 ghouls fighting.

vamp
09-02-2009, 02:49
I understand that tactically the additional rank is better. Im just trying to have a clear understanding of the rules is all.
but I can expand my frontage? Do I have to win my combat to do so?

Example: say, Im marching down a skinny road and my twenty ghoul unit is in a column formation of two rows of 10. I get charged in the front. Next turn I want to fight back with more guys. I can expand my frontage? Up to 5 models or what is the limitation?

Neckutter
09-02-2009, 02:54
yes, after you win combat you can. this is detailed in the rulebook.

example: sort of, you haveta win combat, so being 10 wide and 2 deep, you probably wont win combat.. thusly not being able to add ranks. it will all be clear to you once you read and reread the section. i know that ive read the rulebook something like 20 times so, you always miss a small detail here or there.

and i hope my posts arent coming off like im a jerk. read them and know im not trying to be snarky. :)

The Red Scourge
09-02-2009, 07:30
There is 'officially' no sliding of units.

But we do, as there is already to little actual fighting in this wargame.

According to the BRB FAQ, GW encourages for sliding 'realism and fun'.

The best solution is normally to slide sideways the chargers

The section also talks a lot about gentlemanly conduct and how clipping (when two units do not have maximum contact in a fight) isn't in the spirit of the game and how you should do everything to avoid this.

It is possible to abuse the use of both sliding and clipping, so I'll prefer sliding anyday. It is officially 'in the spirit of the game', and indeed the game doesn't work when you don't.

And then I'll spare you a rant about gentlemanly conduct, rules nazis and sizes of ... erm, army cases :angel: