PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts new lizards

19LiamTaylor90
08-02-2009, 19:04
Been out of the hobby for a long time so go easy on me, first attempt at a list with the new army book. My plan is to go magic heavy and focus on doing as much damage as possible before my troops get into combat.

Anyway the list

Characters
Slaan Mage-Priest The focused Rumination, The Becalming Cogitation, Plaque of Tepok, Battle Standard Bearer
Skink Priest Lvl 2 upgrade Cloak of feathers
Skink Priest Lvl 2 upgrade Rod of the Storm
Skink Priest Lvl 2 upgrade, Ancient Steg with Engine of the Gods

This is the section where im most unsure, possibly drop the ancient steg it
ties up a lot of points in one model and without a second stegadon im worried it will draw too much fire and die too soon to be worth it points.

Core
12 Saurus Warriors Spears, musician
12 Saurus Warriors Spears, musician
12 Skink Skirmishers - Blowpipes

Special
20 Temple Guard Full command
3 Terradons

Rare
2 Razordons 7 handlers

Overall it seems to be very thin on actual troops, but if I do drop the ancient stegadon this will free up quite a few points to use on more troops.

C & C are much appreciated, dont wory about being to hard on the list :)

thisisntnotjt
08-02-2009, 19:26
I'd say you're going overkill on magic without a lot of heavy hitting ability. The stegadon is nice to cover flanks; just don't stick it out in the open. If anything I'd drop a priest and add some saurus cav or another stegadon. If you need to shave some points, take off some temple guard.

My two cents.

Lafkak
08-02-2009, 19:42
Yeah, I agree with the previous poster. I don't play LM but I've played against LM a lot and especially if this is an army you're going to be playing in friendly games, 10 levels of magic might get you slapped in the face. Either that, or people just won't want to play with you, especially when you're so very light on actual troops.

If you want to be magic heavy, a Slann and 2 lvl 2 skink priests are probably more than enough. Get a hammer for the Temple Guard anvil (Saurus Cav?) or get some other cool stuff for the points of the skink priest (skink skirmishers, Kroxigor, etc). Drop the Ancient Stegadon and then you have even more points to bulk up on some actual troops, and would still probably have a fairly dominant army in the Magic phase.

therisnosaurus
08-02-2009, 21:16
while the amount of magic may get you slapped a bit, it's actually not going to help a good deal. The slaan is the only lizzy caster with a good, reliable output. The EOTG+ Slaan combo is good, but just take that, you don't need the other two skink priests. if you roll up a comet on your priest EOTG priest you can throw three dice at it a turn without worrying about taking dice from your slaan, or doubleteam a heavens slaan and priest, drop the -1 to cast effect and let rip with seven or so spells a turn.

Dead Man Walking
09-02-2009, 02:46
The Heavens lore is not really a great lore as 2 spells effect re-rolls, 1 spell is defencive and only 1 of the 3 direct damage spells is on the upper end of dangerous.

Portent of far is great for kroxigor, carnosaurs and sallamanders/razordons. Otherwise its a miner buff.

Second sign is even less useful as it only helps on d3 dice. (Kill this spell GW, give us something useful)

The shield is good defencively, not really worth casting on skinks though.

Of the two magic missile lightning spells only the one that ignores armor saves will actually get really good results.

Comet of Cassadora is a double edged sword and NOT useful if you field a fast moving army (as your skinks cant survive it and you will end up getting in range of it.) or your enemy is a fast moving army like brittonians (you have to cast it at your own feet to hit them.). Awesome vrs dwarves though.

So what spells do you really want to cast there?

19LiamTaylor90
09-02-2009, 16:36
Well just been thinking about my list and had a total rethink, seeing as to make the magic phase work I'm going to have to invest a lot of points into it I thought possibly the following lest may work better for an allcomers list .

Old-Blood- Light Armor, Maiming shield, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendant, Carnosaur Pendant, Carnosaur
Possibly change the scimitar for a bit more defense here
Skink Priest – diadem of power, dispel scroll
Scar-Vet – enchanted shield, sword of the hornet, cold one

12 Saurus – Spears, musician
10 Skink Skirmishers - Blowpipes

4 Terradons –
5 Saurus Cavalry – musician

2 Razordons
2 Razordons

Just a bit cautious that iv pumped a lot of points into my lord and once again am left feeling that I could do a lot more with my points. Suppose thats a by product of having played orcs a lot of the time. So which list do you think will work better.

blackjack
09-02-2009, 16:46
Why put a cload of feathers on a level 1 priest with a diadem? Just hide him in a bush and spend the cloak points on a scroll.

19LiamTaylor90
09-02-2009, 17:05
Oh yeah, didnt think of that thanks.

Lotl Botl
11-02-2009, 03:42
um if u want to go back to ur first list, one slann and a EofG gives u actually great magic o and d, with the addition of a great general and a hardhitting unit with both offensive and defensive abilities
and 20 TG=overkill

Emissary
11-02-2009, 13:51
In the 2nd list, drop the carnosaur pendent on the oldblood. You already get that effect from the carnosaur. Also, I think I'd drop a unit of saurus and try to make some of the blocks 18 plus they need standards. The diadem on the skink shaman really needs him to be level 2 to get it's full effect (it can only store his dice). The scar vet on the cold one could use light armor. I'd also trade out 2 razordons for salamanders.

Dead Man Walking
11-02-2009, 17:08
You only need 16 temple guard because the slaan fills in the spaces for the 4 missing templeguard, giving you a unit that is the size of a 20 man unit but only costing 16.