PDA

View Full Version : am i the only one... ?

semersonp
08-02-2009, 22:57
who paints his models before assembly?

theres just something about having every inch of my models brought to life, even if no one else will ever see it...

so - is this just me? or is this a somewhat common practice? :p

sulla
08-02-2009, 23:04
I don't generally. I dislike that part after you have assembled the parts where you have to touch up all the joins and parts where they were cut off the sprue.

I make a few exceptions like the ridiculously complex corpse cart and leaving shields/riders off steeds to paint in the saddles, back of shields etc, but generally, I prefer to assemble as much of thye model as possible to give me inspiration for colouring and details.

SuperArchMegalon
08-02-2009, 23:17
It depends. For big models with big, separate parts I'll paint them individual. Anything smaller than an Ork Warboss, though, and it's 1 piece for me.

Ivellis
09-02-2009, 00:10
I prime them on the sprues, then put together, then paint.

mweaver
09-02-2009, 00:50
A friend of mine did that. He convinced me to try it. Didn't like it at all.

ChaosVC
09-02-2009, 01:15
No advisable, unless you like double jobs like touching up the sprues unpainted bits.

lcfr
09-02-2009, 01:23
I prime the sprues, then paint the pieces that will be assembled, and then assemble. I've done this only for the most recent GW plastic box I purchased (thunderers/quarrelers), and it worked excellently. I do a fair bit of trading, and it's a real pain having to paint already assembled models with hard-to-reach places (I sound like I'm selling a cleaning product), especially when the former owners used crazy glue or something to assemble something like a plastic fig.

Desert Rain
09-02-2009, 09:11
I always assamble my models before I paint them, with the exception of shields which I paint separately. When I'm painting cavalry I paint the rider and the steed separately as well. When I'm painting large monsters, such as the new Stegadon, I'm painting the big parts separately. So for the stegadon the parts are: the crew, the Stegadon, the 2 parts of the howdah, the engine of the gods and the priest.

havoc626
09-02-2009, 09:22
You're not the only one who does it, as I know some people who do it. I don't, but like many I will leave the shield/rider odd to paint those parts of the model.

It does, however, mean that I have a hell of a lot of Clan Rats, with no shields, because I'm not done painting them.

Sometimes, I hate the hoard aspect of Skaven. That is, until I see a squad of Grail Knights get pulled down by some Slaves. Then I laugh my head off.

The Red Scourge
09-02-2009, 10:06
Depends on the model. I usually paint mounts (assembled) separate from characters.

I usually assemble the model before painting, leaving covering parts such as shields off to paint separately. I just recently took over a horde of fully assembled undead and getting to reach those places behind the shields is a royal pain.

The models will usually be assembled (excluding shields) and their bases been given a coat of sand before I prime them.

Scythe
09-02-2009, 10:24
I have done it a few times. It can help a bit when assembling large models (my Bio-Titan as most extreme example) or if you intend to put your models in strange dramatic poses on scenic bases, at which point it becomes difficult to reach every part of the model after assembly.

Standard models are always assembled first though.

lybban
09-02-2009, 12:52
I´ve even started glueing on shields as you never really see the hard to reach parts anyway. Isn´t that why they´re hard to reach?

Neckutter
09-02-2009, 12:55
i absolutely assemble every part of the model first, then paint it when i get around to it. when i invest in a new army i like to play it a few times to get the feel for it, then make a tournament list, which i will always play and always like to play, then paint from there.

Arbas
09-02-2009, 12:59
For those that paint before assembly how do you keep primer off the areas you want to glue? Masking, brush prime or what?

EldarBishop
09-02-2009, 13:59
Assemble as much as possible (no shields, or riders/mounts), but other then that... and then prime and paint...

Underground
09-02-2009, 16:45
I prefer to assemble as much as possible, as it helps me to visualize the paint scheme.

galad
09-02-2009, 17:10
I used to do this but I got tired of touching up the places where I clipped it off the sprue. Not a big deal if you aren't doing a great paint job anyway. As I got better I turned to a hybrid. I paint with shields and any other tiny bits left off and I do my cavalary with the rider off.

AdeptusOverton
09-02-2009, 17:13
Always paint after assembly but im entertaining the idea of painting on the sprue

Calibretto
09-02-2009, 17:15
I never used to but i have gotten in the habit of priming/basecoating on the sprue and its sped my time up considerably. When i cut them off and trim them up i only have base coat to touch up. I attach the bodies to bases, highlight them, attach arms to body, highlight them, attach heads to bodies, highlight them. Its worked well.

zak
09-02-2009, 17:48
Always preferred painting off the sprue. I do paint large miniatures in pieces as I find it easier. I often paint the first stages of block colouring an then add shading and highlights as the parts often the same colour and two different shaded skin areas look strange.

Tohellweride
09-02-2009, 18:01
I clip all the parts i want to use off the sprue then prime and paint them. Once they are finished i glue them together. It can be tricky but i like the finish i get as i know even those hard to reach places have a nice look despite the fact nobody will ever see them. I just would not feel right about my models if i knew there where unpainted sections as i could not get a brush in there.

Nomad
09-02-2009, 18:48
I always assemble before painting, partly because it's what I've always done but also because it makes the highlighting easier to visualise if you can tell which parts of each component in shadow.

Crazy Harborc
10-02-2009, 00:40
I have always painted as much as possible while parts are on the sprue. I do some pre-painting assembly. I do normally glue the legs/body onto the base. It is a good handle for holding a minie as I paint it.

Coragus
11-02-2009, 21:03
The one and only model that I've ever painted like this won "best Paint Job" with 5 votes out of 10 players at a local event about a year back. It was an Ork in mega-armor, and I didn't do it like that just to get an awesome painting job, it just worked out that way.

I realize that it leads to better painting, but I like assembling way better than painting.

R Man
11-02-2009, 21:15
I generally don't do it because it requires me to touch the pieces of model being paineted. By keeping it as one model I can avoid this. I have enogh trouble trying to keep paint of my fingers as it is.

Also, how do you use highlights and blends this way? One of the reasons I like to put the whole model together is so I know where shadows will be and what will be in the sun etc.

Neknoh
11-02-2009, 21:30
well, currently staring down a converted Archaon, and with that cloak, and that shield, and those reigns, I fear the model will basically be painted as:

Steed
Shield
Arm with Reigns
Torso with sword and head

and then put together... gonna be plenty of work, luckily, it is all sanded and pre-drilled already

bomblu
11-02-2009, 21:30
I used to use this method with my first couple of boxed sets. Now what i do is assembel most of the model (Sometimes excluding an arm, shield, maybe cloak or extra tiny bits) and then unit everything at the end :)

Crazy Harborc
13-02-2009, 02:40
IMHO, whichever method is used by who(m)ever....successfully....IS the best method for who, whom ever.;)

N810
13-02-2009, 02:52
Yep it's just you :p LOL

The Samaritan
13-02-2009, 04:49
Nah I assemble then paint. For my big or important things i will paint before assembly.

Lord Dan
13-02-2009, 05:12
Tried it once. I painted up a unit of HE spearmen, and I thought they looked fantastic. Then I clipped them off the sprue and shredded my paint-job well beyond the small "dot" where the piece connected to the sprue.

I try to leave shields off before I paint, but generally I get in a bunch of games before I finish painting an army so it's not really practical.

starlight
13-02-2009, 05:26
Prefer to prime on sprue, then assemble and paint...okay I hate the painting part, but that's another whole Thread. :p

My favourite part is the conversions, so that's where I spend the time. :)

Lord Dan
13-02-2009, 05:28
You should start converting my models for me then, Starlight. I'd be content just painting them up.

The Red Scourge
13-02-2009, 06:26
Hmm.. Priming on sprue.. Interesting..

Think I'll try that with the gazillion zombies and skeletons I have coming up :)

Neckutter
13-02-2009, 10:04
priming on the sprue doesnt make sense, since each bit will have a "bellybutton" from the place where it was connected to the sprue.
good luck with archaon neknoh, archaon's arm holding the reigns is horrible to glue together, and then painting behind it.... ew!

Neknoh
13-02-2009, 10:10
As said, that arm is left off and I am in the process of putting in the pins, just need to shave off the metal bellybutton on the connecting surface of the arm itself.

jason
16-02-2009, 20:11
Does it make a difference what models they are? For instance, skeletons or other models with alot of the same color (like bloodletters) might be easier to paint on the sprue due to the "sameness" of the model, while other models require more detail work. I just ask because I have always based, primed, base coated, then painted my models. However, I am looking at starting Tomb Kings, and am seriously contemplating the paint on the sprue method.

TheMav80
17-02-2009, 00:26
I prime while on the sprues (or just laying there in the case of metal multi parts). Then I paint them as I put it together.

So with Saurus Warriors for example:
Prime the sprues.
Clips out all the pieces for a Warrior.
Paint the Torso tottally.
Glue head on and paint.
Paint left arm then glue on.
Paint Right arm then glue on.
Paint right weapon.
Paint shield then glue on.

Tadaaaaaa.

O&G'sRule
17-02-2009, 12:48
No too fiddly. Unless areas are blocked by other areas (but still visible) once stuck together theres no point, you can't get highlights to match either

MindTheGap
17-02-2009, 13:08
Wait! You're not alone! I'm painting up some SMs at the moment - the only assembled parts so far are the legs / torso / head. The arms / shoulder pads are a seperate entity, and the weapons are sepreate again. Everything is being painted as they are mentioned above and will only be assembled into the full model once everything is completed. I hate trying to paint stuff that is still on the sprues - tried it once, never again!

Captain Micha
17-02-2009, 15:12
who paints his models before assembly?

theres just something about having every inch of my models brought to life, even if no one else will ever see it...

so - is this just me? or is this a somewhat common practice? :p

I do it with my armies. It cuts down on painting time considerably.

Crazy Harborc
19-02-2009, 02:29
As complicated as the poses many minies needing assembly come in......Some pre-assembly painting is what I've done for several years. For me it started with GW's WHFB metal and or plastic minies.

These days, several companies have complicated poses on needs assembly minies.

Tarax
19-02-2009, 09:46
When I first read some responses I thought the OP talked about painting before cutting the parts from the sprues. But reading the original post again you can also assume that you cut from sprue -> paint -> assemble.

I usually paint before assembling, but some parts are assembled beforehand, like bodies to legs.

To me, at least, it gives the image that I also painted on the awkward places, although you couldn't see it once assembled.

badgeraddict
19-02-2009, 10:21
I paint shields still on the sprues. Thats about it.

Everything else is assembled, or at least part assembled when painted.

DeathlessDraich
19-02-2009, 12:06
Isn't there a reduction in adhesion when glues are applied over paint instead of directly to the metal or plastic parts?

Crazy Harborc
20-02-2009, 01:45
With a little practice AND dry fitting parts before painting, (once a box full of parts;) I learned to not get paint on the joints/glue points.

If you do get paint on a glue point/joint it is easy to scrap it off (I learned that the hard way too).

Dark_Knight
20-02-2009, 05:19
You all sound way more detailed than my painting. I always put the miniature together and don't glue on the shields (etc) until I have painted the would be hard to get places.

MordainThade
20-02-2009, 06:09
I used to paint everything in pieces... everything. Shoulder pads separate from arms separate from body separate from weapons, etc. Nowadays, I either entirely assemble, or mostly assemble a model... it all depends on how annoying certain areas would be to paint.

The best example I have is the Bloodletters I'm working on now; the heads completely cover either the center of the back or one shoulder, and so the heads stay off. Similarly, some dudes have a two-handed grip on their swords, and some have their sword uncomfortably close to their legs... so the sword arm stays off so I can get in there with paint.