PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Lizardmen list for review

infernus31
08-02-2009, 22:08
Hi folks
Am currently attempting to use the new lizardmen book for a few upcoming local tournaments, having received the book early via preorder, I have had a chance to test this out 3 times vs vampires, dwarves and high elves and 1 draw and 2 wins so far (the draw vs Vamps), it looks to do well, but would like to see what the warseer communty makes of it and any suggestions?

Slann mage priest
Becalming Cogitation
focus of mystery
focused rumination
Cupped Hands of the Old Ones
Battle Standard Bearer

Skink Priest
Level 2
Engine of the Gods

Skink priest
Level 2
Engine of the Gods
Cube of Darkness

Saurus Scar veteran
Hide of the Cold One
Great Weapon

19 Saurus Warriors
Spears
Full command

15 Saurus Warriors
Spears
Full command

10 Skink skirmishers

15 Temple Guard
Full command
War banner

Thats it- pretty small but so far packs a nasty punch- 3 rock hard units of saurus supported by the engines for ward saves and margical defence and offense provided by the slann and priests (the slann normally uses beats as it really benefits the engines and is really good to cast amny spells thanks to low casting values. I did originally use the war spear ancient steg combo but found that it was all to easy to counter charge, so thoughts on this would be most appreciated, thanks.

Khaos
09-02-2009, 00:50
looks pretty good, only thing I noticed is that your scar vet has the cold one hide and light armor, the cold one hide counts as heavy armor so he cant have both. past that I think it looks pretty good, was the dwarf army you played a gunline(or at least have a healthy dose of warmachines to threaten your engines)?

Dead Man Walking
09-02-2009, 02:33
I think some salamanders would be well appreciated in your list, you need to do some long range damage before getting into combat, to pick off a handful in a unit before saurus get into combat to give them the edge (or equal out if they are doing ranged damage to you.) You cant rely on skinks poison to do this for you.

infernus31
09-02-2009, 09:18
looks pretty good, only thing I noticed is that your scar vet has the cold one hide and light armor, the cold one hide counts as heavy armor so he cant have both

d'oh your right, ah well 3+ save it is :p

was the dwarf army you played a gunline(or at least have a healthy dose of warmachines to threaten your engines)?

it had 2 organ guns, 2 units of ten thunderers and a cannon. I simply hid one of the stegadons behind terrain until the slann neutered some warmachines with his magic (i was using lore of metal) and the other ran down the flank where it couldnt be seen until it was too late(and then proceded to destroy a unit of iron breakers, impact hits plus burning alignment= dead dwarves)

I would like to try salamanders my 2k list is going to replace the 2nd engine with salamanders, but i wouldnt know what to drop to include them.

Dead Man Walking
09-02-2009, 11:22
I'd drop a priest, a slaan and a priest will give you good returns and the salamanders will make thier points back. I would probably field 2 salamanders, 3 may be diminishing returns.

blackjack
09-02-2009, 14:06
I think some salamanders would be well appreciated in your list, you need to do some long range damage before getting into combat,

If that is the case then Lizardmen are out of luck, only the very expensive giant bows on stegadons give LONG range fire support.

Dead Man Walking
09-02-2009, 17:56
Yes, they do offer long range damage, of which hit on a 4 at best, and not at all if your marching toward your opponent or charging something. Moved and over half range? 6. Then your guaranteed 2 wounds but after 2 its iffy. If you shoot something that doesnt have ranks then its 1 wound.

Salamanders will rack up more kills for the points. Espeacially on blocks of infantry. Your hit ratio won't be 50/50 when you shoot 2 or 3 at a time.

Great Bow Stegadon? I knew Salamander, Salamander was a good friend of mine, and you sir are no Salamander!

infernus31
09-02-2009, 20:54
My firepower over 12" is magic, which with this list i think should be helpful (especially if i can get one of the heavans unlimited range on a priest) its a lizzie weakpoint though, and something i will have to deal with.

Any more comments citiques would be greatly apprieciated thanks for those so far.

Conotor
09-02-2009, 22:08
Looks pretty solid, but why the cube of darkness? You have what, 6 dd?

Also, How wide are your sarrus units? IMO, spears are best 6 wide. I'm not sure about the guard, though.

infernus31
10-02-2009, 05:48
8 dispel dice- 2 from slann 2 from each skinky priest and 2 basic. (think im right there?)
Cube has always been my magic defense even in the old book, works extremely well vs certain armies, mainly vampies and magic heavy high elves.

Worth keeping, or with becalming cogitiations and my dispel dice, would that be enough, or simply swap for a scroll?

Lotl Botl
11-02-2009, 03:37
yeah no need for cube, also just be a little cautios of cold-one armor