PDA

View Full Version : Best mark of chaos

Inquisitor_Ra
09-02-2009, 00:53
i have been reading the codex for the chaos space marnies and iv been wondering on what other people thought the best mark was. if you dont think that there ise 1 that is better then the rest or that certain ones are only good in certain places, just say which one you use the most. i think the best mark is the Mark of Tzeentch since it gives any unit that has it a 5+ invulnerable or if they do have it, it add +1 to there invulnerable throw. i love this mark since it makes your units not die against power weapons so easyly and makes terminators have a 4+ invulnerable, making them even better against stronger things.

incase you dont know.
khorne confers a +1 attack
Nurgle a +1 T
slaanesh a +1 I
tzeentch a +1 invulnerable or a 5+ invulnerable

Ordo Malleus
09-02-2009, 00:57
Nurgle - Toughness 5 Terminators for the win :P

Goq Gar
09-02-2009, 01:01
I'd have to go with Fluffy. He was one of the lesser known gods...

GW have tried to cover him up, but I remember.... oh yes... I remember Fluffy...

But seriously, i'd have to say Nurgle. The idea of "super" space marines is utterly terrifying.

Grimtuff
09-02-2009, 01:02
If a single mark were the "best" everyone would take it to the exclusion of all else, yes?

What exactly are you trying to prove from this?

Inquisitor_Ra
09-02-2009, 01:08
Im just wondering what peoples opinion of the best mark is, i know that people like different marks for different reasons, like toughness 5 terminators, or like me and terminators with a 4+ invulnerables. i just want to know what other people think. still no 1 like the god that gives you +1 I .

Silverbullet5774
09-02-2009, 01:09
If a single mark were the "best" everyone would take it to the exclusion of all else, yes?

Maybe he isn't trying to prove anything.

And I voted for Nurgle.

gamer2456
09-02-2009, 01:10
obviously Khorne because BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

Captin Korea!
09-02-2009, 01:11
Slannesh. Terminators with twin pairs of LC's at I5 are scary.

Inquisitor_Ra
09-02-2009, 01:13
Some one goes for I5 over Toughness, a higher invulnerable, or even more attacks!?

Drgn
09-02-2009, 01:15
Slaanesh, yes your tougher, yeah you have more attacks, and a higher invulnerable save but that means nuttin when you get killed before you get to attack back. i-5 terminators with lightning claws that eat slow i4 space marines for breakfast. or the i-6 lord with daemon weapon works too

Inquisitor_Ra
09-02-2009, 01:16
as long as you dont role a one with the lord, then he eats himself

Drgn
09-02-2009, 01:17
yes if you roll a one he eats himself but he does it faster then you would.

Inquisitor_Ra
09-02-2009, 01:20
I guess u win that one.

tacoo
09-02-2009, 01:59
im a big fan of the 4+ invulnerable, its saved my a** more then once when they were in combat against power weps. 2nd favorite would have to be nurgles mark though

Cypher, the Emperor
09-02-2009, 02:04
I vote for Fabius "the 5th chaos god" Bile

Inquisitor_Ra
09-02-2009, 02:05
woops, forgot about him

quigglebert
09-02-2009, 02:09
3rd edition tzeench, 2 wound beasties with slow and purpousful, that was the best 4th ruined all the marks

Adyger
09-02-2009, 02:18
This is a very interesting question...but honestly, I think it really depends on the unit. My chosen are given the khrone mark, since that way they can infiltrate with a nice mixture of flamers and meltaguns and still do awesome in close combat too. My terminators get nurgle, since I just love making them extra tough. My possessed get the tzeentch, since their 5+ goes up to 4+!!!, and my raptors get Slanesh, since it means they'll almost always get to assualt first. (which as some have pointed out combos nicely with the aspiring champions lightning claws!)

Inquisitor_Ra
09-02-2009, 02:24
which unit usually makes the most impact in your games Adyger?

Chem-Dog
09-02-2009, 02:36
As much as I hate to say it, Slaanesh is probably the weakest unless it's up against other Marines/CSMs. If I5 is your only advantage, you are royally screwed up against Eldar CC units as they'll invariably have a higher I than you, same with Tyranid stuff, it'll be hitting first usually.

Improved Inv is of negligible use 90% of the time (and utterly essential the other 10%).

+1 S is ok, useful if you're assaulting vehicles, often overkill.

+1 T is the win, less wounding hits means less dead models, simple.

Hicks
09-02-2009, 02:49
I commited heresy by answering this pole, but what the heck, I voted Nurgle.

maelstrom66669
09-02-2009, 03:29
I usually take khorne, but I can see all of them having their uses.

Sanctjud
09-02-2009, 03:39
It depends.

That's the only answer one can give you. The OP's question is too broad.

Also, we are talking about ICONS not just marks.
Therefore there's teh Icon of Chaos Glory, and IMO, it's the most economical and no-brainer if you do not take another icon.

Generally, the 'marks' vary in usage and quality depending on the unit you use them on. So there is no 'best', there is only 'it depends'.

Anyway, I voted for Nurgle, cause he's my favorite god.....

My 7 Cents.

Rioghan Murchadha
09-02-2009, 04:21
I believe as a Thousand Sons player, I'm contractually obligated to vote for Tzeentch... Mainly because I can't really use any of the other marks ;)

I will say this though. MoT beats everything in apocalypse. With all that superheavy crap flying around, a wicked invuln saves the day far more often than not.

blackroyal
09-02-2009, 04:37
I have to say that of the chaos Gods, I like Slaanesh the best. Never have been a fan of Nurgle but his is probably the "strongest" from a gaming standpoint.

I voted for Slaanesh.

Johnnyfrej
09-02-2009, 04:41
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!1 :skull::skull::skull:

Reinholt
09-02-2009, 04:44
Slaanesh.

How the hell else are you going to abuse Lash? Yeah? That's what I thought.

Born Again
09-02-2009, 04:51
yes if you roll a one he eats himself but he does it faster then you would.

Nice, that one made me laugh :p

Orkeosaurus
09-02-2009, 05:25
My friend has had some success with Tzeentch. It makes for an army that doesn't have a glaring weakness.

Personally though, I just like that basic mark of Khorne. Fairly cheap, and it gives chaos marines as many attacks as slugga boys.

CbmH2xX
09-02-2009, 06:33
Khorne. Nothing is better than beating orks at their own game! :D :skull::skull::skull:

TheDarkDuke
09-02-2009, 06:34
Based off of points cost to upgrade I think the rules are telling us which mark is best. Then if we need to take a second look at cult troops points costs and abilities, it shows up even more.

Nurgle
Tzeentch
Khorne
Slaanesh

Orkeosaurus
09-02-2009, 06:36
I assumed it was best for the points.

Otherwise Khorne and Slaanesh might as well not even be here.

Inquisitor_Ra
10-02-2009, 01:24
never would have guessed Slaanesh would be beating Tzeentch as best mark

Bloodknight
10-02-2009, 14:35
If it's about Icons, I'd rate Khorne the highest for general points efficiency. Second is Slaanesh because it is the cheapest after Glory, and provides a serious boost to the units, ie they can kill stuff before getting hit back.

Nurgle is the second worst, IMO. It's severely overpriced on anything but CSM (on a squad of 10 it's ok, but you'd still be better off buying real Plaguemarines point for point), and not worth it on Terminators at all (they tend to get killed by plasma etc, and then T4 or 5 makes no difference). Raptors of Nurgle suck as well. They fight like normal CSM, but cost a lot more and are not much harder, but pay a stupid price for the mark. With Raptors and Terminators, I'd go for Khorne and Slaanesh every time.

Tzeentch is the worst one unless you take it on terminators. It's expensive, and while a 5+ inv sounds good, it usually isn't with all that cover on the board. Termies profit from it because it makes their inv better and chaos terminators tend to end up in CC where that can make the difference. It's pretty overpriced on everything else.

As for character marks, I'd go Slaanesh, Nurgle, Tzeentch, Khorne

Zanzibarthefirst
10-02-2009, 15:01
slaanesh sorcerers are rather nice when using force weapons although str4 isnt the best

take19
10-02-2009, 17:51

You'll probably find he means in your own opinion.

Nurgle for me anyway!

Lord Damocles
10-02-2009, 17:54
Wot?
No Chaos Glory?

Levett
10-02-2009, 17:58
Khorne do it better than anyone.

You want to use a daemon weapon? Take Khorne! Not only will it roll high on a biblical level, but it will also manage to kill your lord in an epic fashion!!

Khorne... doing things more extreme than everyone else since time begun.

FraustyTheSnowman
10-02-2009, 18:37
My vote is nurgle. Though, I do have to admit (and I feel very dirty for this) that if chaos glory would have been up there it would have come down to a coin toss. Nurgle will always hold a place in my heart, but if we're talking about buying icons for things in the chaos codex, blaggghhh. Fifty points for +1t? No thanks...Plaguemarines are one of the most amazing troop choices in the game (second only to battle sisters in my own humble opinion), but chaos marines with MoN suck sweaty khorne khernals.

Griffin
10-02-2009, 19:27
Tzeentch! no slaanesh! no Khorne! no Nurgle!

aaah buggerit millenium shrimp - I'll go with Icon of Undivided or mark of Tzeentch or Mark of Nurgle or you get the idea.

For different units I give different marks - depends on what kind of fluff the force has and what they will get used for.

Bellygrub
10-02-2009, 19:37
I have a Death Guard army so....Khorne it is!

I kid I kid. Nurgle.

Ganymene
10-02-2009, 19:39
Slaanesh.

Always take the initiative boost, always.

LordofWar1986
10-02-2009, 19:52
I think that the marks are all good and dependent on the units.
-Khorne for Reg. Chaos Marines and Raptors (those attacks are stacked up so fast for how cheap the mark is)
-Tzeench for Termies (works best for the plasma and PW/PF attacks that will surely be directed to them)
-Slannesh/Nurgle for HQ's (face it, who doesn't like the extremely hard to kill/light on his feet Lord or Daemonprince)
-Slannesh I feel is one of those I would not use. Noise Marines

LordofWar1986
10-02-2009, 19:55
-Slannesh I feel is one of those I would not use. Noise Marines

Sorry forgot to finish it completely lol :)

-Slannesh *mark* I feel is one of those I would not use for anything besides the HQ's. Noise Marines with Sonic Weapons I see have always out-performed the Marines with Mark of Slannesh.

Lexington
10-02-2009, 20:03
I'd say that Slaanesh certainly has the most points-efficient Mark/Icon. It's amazingly cheap for giving you the edge in combat over, what, 90% of all opponents?

Vaktathi
10-02-2009, 20:07
Most of the icons are generally pretty terrible for their points costs and the fact that once the icon bearer dies, the squad loses the benefit.

Glory is by far the best one, Tzeentch is good on Terminators but little else, Khorne works well on Raptors and Termi's, but is expensive. Slaanesh is ok for assaulty units, but again not hugely great, and Nurgle is just too damn expensive really for anything.

Turok117
10-02-2009, 20:12
Got to like the T5

Imagine; lasguns only wounding on a 6...

And, no instant death from nasty guns for the lord!

Vaktathi
10-02-2009, 20:21
Got to like the T5

Imagine; lasguns only wounding on a 6...

And, no instant death from nasty guns for the lord!

it doesn't affect base toughness, so a nurgle lord is T(4)5 and still able to be killed by a meltagun.

tacoo
11-02-2009, 00:44
alot of people love the bunus toughness!

Bloodknight
11-02-2009, 00:58
Seemingly. They also seemingly don't care that the MoN is seriously overpriced and that they'd fare better with spending those points on more Marines and other marks ;)

tacoo
11-02-2009, 20:08
Nurgle is a little expensive, alot to buy when most weapons that hit turminator, im my experience, would still wound on a 2+ (las cannons and the such)

LunarCruiser
18-05-2015, 22:16
The marks I use depend on the squad.
Little squads of CSM (Chosen or a reserve squad for grabbing last turn objectives) I give Khorne just for the death and glory charge hitting a bit harder.

My Havocs I give, points allowing, Khorne as well. My heavier Heavy Support tend to draw fire more so they do not need the toughness of Nurgle and since they tend to be behind the main battle line anyway they can deal with that pesky deep striking unit that is running around behind you by going and clobbering them with your Khorne Havocs

Big Squads either have Khorne for shed loads of attacks or Nurgle for bullet magnets.

I personally use the other two for pretty much the same units. Tougher Terminators with 4+ INV saves or I5 Lightning claws are both tempting as are possessed.

Slannesh Must go on raptors. They are big Loud and quick. Their champion has Lightning claws (there is no other option really they just look too cool)

Sadly my HQ are fixed Typhus because he looks b****ing and a Termie Khorne lord to deep strike behind the lines and smash as much as possible until he croaks.

Asura Varuna
19-05-2015, 00:34
Unmarked is usually the strongest option for cheaper units like vanilla marines, havocs and cultists. For anything expensive and multiwound that is at risk of being ID'd then Nurgle should be the go-to.

Doesn't the Mark of Khorne give units +1 attack, doesn't it just give them Rage and Counterattack? And doesn't Tzeentch give you a 6++ save (not 5++)

Ssilmath
19-05-2015, 03:13
Doesn't the Mark of Khorne give units +1 attack, doesn't it just give them Rage and Counterattack? And doesn't Tzeentch give you a 6++ save (not 5++)

This is a five year old thread. We've had a new book since then.

Okuto
19-05-2015, 05:09
most effective......most deff grandpappie nurgle:shifty:

But I like slaanesh for fluff purposes and I like their troops and daemons more. Like the idea of dubstep guns and vibrating your foes to death...its just so much more classy than clumsy khorne and ugly nurgle.......

edit: Oh crap.....necromancy! had to be nurgle

WarsmithGarathor94
19-05-2015, 08:45
most effective......most deff grandpappie nurgle:shifty:

But I like slaanesh for fluff purposes and I like their troops and daemons more. Like the idea of dubstep guns and vibrating your foes to death...its just so much more classy than clumsy khorne and ugly nurgle.......

edit: Oh crap.....necromancy! had to be nurgle
Nope more likely Nagash's spirit did it

Polyglot
20-05-2015, 10:36
I like Tzeentch, because I'm a magic-y sort of person, though objectively, Nurgle.