PDA

View Full Version : quick question! need quick response

woodulikeanother
09-02-2009, 01:15
can a wizard on foot attempting to cast a spell that needs line of sight, behind a unit of skeletons see a unit of knights directly in front of them?

EldarBishop
09-02-2009, 01:20
The skeletons are between the caster and the knights, and you can not draw LOS... then no.

woodulikeanother
09-02-2009, 01:20
the knights are taller models than models on foot though?

woodulikeanother
09-02-2009, 01:29
how can a wizard cast magic whilst on a horse or mount similar sized, over a unit that of foot troops, but yet a wizard on foot cant see a unit of knights that are taller than the foot troop...doesnt seem fair

Nurgling Chieftain
09-02-2009, 01:32
The mounted wizard can't see over foot troops any more than the foot wizard can see mounted troops over foot troops. Basically, the only times you can "see over" intervening units are:

To/from a Large Target
To/from a hill

Simply being a bit taller doesn't count.

Dokushin
09-02-2009, 01:33
how can a wizard cast magic whilst on a horse or mount similar sized, over a unit that of foot troops, but yet a wizard on foot cant see a unit of knights that are taller than the foot troop...doesnt seem fair

Woah, woah.

A mounted wizard cannot cast over foot soldiers. Any model blocks line of sight, and if a unit of anything is in the way -- regardless of mounts of the wizard, the unit, or the intended target -- and you can't see the target to either side, you do not have line of sight.

'Large' targets specifically are an exception to this rule -- they have line of sight over normal models and models have line of sight to the Large model. This applies only to creatures that specifically have the 'Large' rule.

Placing a unit on a hill allows it to target as if it were a Large model.

Forests greater than 2" deep always block line of sight, even to large models.

EldarBishop
09-02-2009, 01:34
^^ both right.. I was looking up pg references :D

LOS on pgs 8-9. In particular see "interposing models" on page 9.

Neckutter
09-02-2009, 02:24
it doesnt matter if you can see the model, it matters if you can see their base. fantasy is like 40k with its 3d LOS rules.

Necromancy Black
09-02-2009, 02:48
it doesnt matter if you can see the model, it matters if you can see their base. fantasy is like 40k with its 3d LOS rules.

40k has true LOS sight rules, completely different to Fantasy.

Basically absolutely everything on the board is teh same height and can not see past or over each other except for....

- Units on Hills
- Large targets
- Swarms

These have slightly different rules for LOS.

Braad
09-02-2009, 08:16
Swarms? Not as far as I know, though I believe there are exceptions...

I think... Were are the swarm rules? I can't find them. Page ref anyone?

Asmodiseus
09-02-2009, 09:06
Swarms? Not as far as I know, though I believe there are exceptions...

I think... Were are the swarm rules? I can't find them. Page ref anyone?
The rules for swarms are in the BRB on page 53. No where in the rules does it state that you can see over them. Most swarms have an additional special rule called "small" that allow you to see over them but not all do. Bat Swams for example are a swarm that you can not draw a LoS through.

Gorbad Ironclaw
09-02-2009, 10:51
It's simple really. There are three size catagories in Warhammer.

Large (all the models with the Large Target special rule)
Normal (everything without a special rule)
Small (everything with the Small special rule. Pretty much just a number of Swarms)

A model block line of sight to everything it's own size or smaller no matter the physical size of the models.

So a goblin blocks line of sight to an Ogre or a Chaos Knight just as the Ogre or the Chaos Knight can't see what's behind the goblin.

grhino
09-02-2009, 10:55
So it's done then. Rules do not always comply to how you'd imagine reality, but that's still what rules are for... they make reality more comprehensive for wargaming by making consessions!

nickdahkwik
09-02-2009, 16:27
I say well put easiest and quickest interpretation is Gorbad Ironclaw's response....I am the brother of the person whom asked this question and new to this site i really like it need to post so i can make a thread! all great answers thanks to all!!!

nickdahkwik
09-02-2009, 17:16
WAIT!!! what about a flying unit:example, i would use DRAGON vs. PEGASUS if i have a pegasus that is not a "Large Target" with a wizard on it trying to cast or charge over a unit of foot troops or knights can he do this because he is "flying" or can he not see because he does not benefit from the "Large Target" rule? And the Dragon would then be able to charge over foot troops/knights directly in front of him? because he is a "Large Target" right, is this right?

Dokushin
09-02-2009, 17:36
If I am understanding you properly:

D

TTTTT
TTTTT
TTTTT

P

D = dragon, T = troops, P = pegasus

The Dragon is a large target. This means that it has line of sight to the pegasus. It also means that the pegasus has line of sight to the dragon. Either can charge the other. Note that if they were not flyers they could not charge as there would be something in the way. Since they are flyers they can just fly over.

Chicago Slim
09-02-2009, 17:56
But in another example:

D P

TTTTT
TTTTT
TTTTT

CCCC

The dragon can charge over the troops to the cavalry, because it is a Large Target and therefore has LOS. The pegasus cannot charge over the troops to the cavalry, because it lacks LOS.

EldarBishop
09-02-2009, 18:02
Yes, those are correct.

woodulikeanother
09-02-2009, 19:05
thanks to all of you for answering my question, and for the addition by chicago slim very helpfull!!