PDA

View Full Version : Force Organisation Chart question, what happens when...

Adeptus Mechanicus
09-02-2009, 10:55
Ok, here goes. If you fill out ALL the slots of your force organisation chart and want more awesomeness in your army, what are the rules for this? Do you add a second chart with the compulsory 2 troops and 1 HQ or what?

In before someone asks me to just play Apocalypse ^^

Tarax
09-02-2009, 11:05
I think so. Just agree with your opponent beforehand and let him do also.

ankara halla
09-02-2009, 11:12
As said, agree about it with your opponent before hand. Then again, you can just as easily agree with your opponent to play with 8 troop choises or whatnot.

For pickup games, as the rules only cover the rules for a single FoC, this is what most people expect to face. Just don't surprise your opponent by coming to a game with 2 FoC's.

Angelus Mortis
09-02-2009, 11:41
Usually if your going to play more than one FOC, you arrange that before the game with your opponent so he can make a similar list. Once you pass one FOC though, you start bringing more and more heavy hitters into the battle (HQ, ELITES, FA, HVY) and you may as well go play Apocalypse because its in effect going to come out the same.

ehlijen
09-02-2009, 12:02
Generally, it's expected that games up to 2k don't use more than one FO chart. Every army is quite capable of reaching that points limit with just the one.

Past that (or below if you really want to, but it's not advised) you have to agree with your opponent and grant him the same number of FO charts.

Each FO chart needs to fulfill all the requirements (usually 1hq and 2t). And a somewhat common house rule is that the first FO chart needs to be full before you get to start a second one, but not everyone plays it that way.

Xelloss
09-02-2009, 12:14
There were a rule stating that you can have one FOC per 2000pts (does it still apply in 5th ed ?)
Usually, you reach 2000pts before filling all your FOC, so the question doesn't really need an answer... (For the same reason LRCs as transports for the Black Templars isn't that great because you reach 2000pts before giving a LRC for every choice that can take it)

The_Outsider
09-02-2009, 12:18
There were a rule stating that you can have one FOC per 2000pts (does it still apply in 5th ed ?)
Usually, you reach 2000pts before filling all your FOC, so the question doesn't really need an answer... (For the same reason LRCs as transports for the Black Templars isn't that great because you reach 2000pts before giving a LRC for every choice that can take it)

No, though the rulebook does admit that past 2.5k the FoC starts to become very restrictive.

Spacker
09-02-2009, 12:54
See rulebook page 87, right hand side under "Multiple detachment games".

It wasn't a rule in 4th ed either, it was a guideline just like it is 5th ed.

Gwedd
09-02-2009, 13:02
One house rule regarding the FOC I always liked was this: A player may take more troop selections than authorized by the FOC, by exchanging them for any other non-troops slot. In other words, if you want 8 troops choices, then you have to give up 2 choices from either the heavy support, fast attack, etc, or a combination of them.

arch_inquisitor
09-02-2009, 13:04
In before someone asks me just play Apocalypse ^^

Are you saying you just play apocalypse, if so don't worry about it, as the FOC is largely ignored.

In regular games though just work out something with your opponent before hand, as many have suggested.

Adeptus Mechanicus
09-02-2009, 14:24
Spacker: Thanks, will check that out later. Must have missed it completely.

Gwedd: Sounds a lot like the rules for Word Bearers/Iron Warriors/Night Lords in the old Chaos 'dex.

arch_inquisitor: No not all. Havent even tried apocalypse. ^^

Blue Orphen
09-02-2009, 15:03
Gwedd: Sounds a lot like the rules for Word Bearers/Iron Warriors/Night Lords in the old Chaos 'dex.

Well, close. That was the special rule for the Word Bearers. They could take up to 9 Troops choices by sacrificing an Elite, Fast Attack, and/or Heavy Support slot.

Iron Warriors could trade 2 Fast Attack slots for a 4th Heavy Support...and that's an ENTIRELY different thing, mainly on account of balance issues.

Night Lords could trade 2 Heavy Support slots for a 4th Fast Attack slot...not nearly as devastating.

Xelloss
09-02-2009, 19:48
It wasn't a rule in 4th ed either, it was a guideline just like it is 5th ed.

Just checked the 3rd edition rulebook, it was implicited then (sorry I skipped the 4th ed - too busy at the time)

silentsmoke
09-02-2009, 21:16
Er Apoc game anyone??

Nostro
09-02-2009, 23:25
The whole point of the OP was to get an answer other than that...:rolleyes:

Angelus Mortis
10-02-2009, 02:10
The whole point of the OP was to get an answer other than that...:rolleyes:

Never the less, its still the most appropriate answer to his question. Multiple FOCs will come out with similar results if you just played Apoc, except more unwieldly and more cumbersome.

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-02-2009, 03:09
Some armies can get units outside the FOC. WH get Zealots, Chaos have Summoned Daemons and Spawn.

Not that adding Spawn would be beneficial to your army. But still. Principle is there.

Adeptus Mechanicus
05-03-2009, 14:15
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's tops 2K for normal 40K and above for Apocalypse. Now, time to get some stompas XD

Master Stark
05-03-2009, 14:28
Ok, here goes. If you fill out ALL the slots of your force organisation chart and want more awesomeness in your army, what are the rules for this? Do you add a second chart with the compulsory 2 troops and 1 HQ or what?

In before someone asks me to just play Apocalypse ^^

I always thought that both the 40K and WHFB force org charts were a bit lacking, but in different areas.

I love the way that the 40K FOC classifies units by function.

I love the way the WHFB FOC scales with the size of the battle.

Some kind of combination of both would be ideal for both systems, IMO.

Templar Ben
05-03-2009, 14:45
I agree. That would have made a lot more sense than the Troops only as scoring rule now.