PDA

View Full Version : Silly RAW interpretation

Lordmonkey
09-02-2009, 13:34
After sailing the fantasy rules threads for way too long I have begun to see loopholes where there probably aren't any, but could be if you wanted to get really, really pernickety.

There is a Dark Elf magic item that is wording as follows:

"...makes the bearer and his unit immune to psychology"

Does this mean if I give it to a sorceress (implicitly female) it has no effect? :D

Meriwether
09-02-2009, 13:53
:rolleyes: Last I checked, in the English language it is still appropriate usage to use male pronouns (as opposed to "his or her", "their", or "his/her") for gender-neutral or gender-ambiguous people.

*Checks his 'Elements of Style'*

Yup. Still true.

Meri

theunwantedbeing
09-02-2009, 13:55
Berserker sword.
+X attacks based on the number of enemy models in base contact.

Enemy models in units are all in base contact with each other.
I get an additional attack for each of them.

Lordmonkey
09-02-2009, 14:01
Berserker sword.
+X attacks based on the number of enemy models in base contact.

Enemy models in units are all in base contact with each other.
I get an additional attack for each of them.

Ah, that one doesn't count - Phil kelly wrote it. :rolleyes:

EldarBishop
09-02-2009, 14:03
ah, that one doesn't count - phil kelly wrote it. :rolleyes:

roflmao...

Faust
09-02-2009, 18:03
Meriwether is correct. In the English language the male pronoun assumes the female as well. An example commonly used is "You guys want to get some food?" (When talking to a group of girls). In other languages the feminine takes precedence.

Lugburz
09-02-2009, 18:38
Armour of Morrslieb confers a 4+ wardsave against magic, but it doesn't say that the bearer gets it, so actually it doesn't do **** ;p. (all other items says if it benefits the bearer, character, or model).

I might even try this on a friend playing Chaos xD, hahaha.

The Rulebook also say that only warriors gain the armor bonus from handweapons and shields... to bad there's not many models that are named warriors ;p.

Harwammer
09-02-2009, 18:46
Beasts of Chaos
"Beasts of Chaos characters can ever use enchanted items" (Page 62)

"Skull of Mugrar... The Skull is an enchanted item... this item is part of Gorthor's Chariot" (page 71)

Sorry Gorthor, you can't use your pimped out chariot today.*

The Rulebook also say that only warriors gain the armor bonus from handweapons and shields... to bad there's not many models that are named warriors ;p.
Maybe warriors of chaos aren't as suck as previously assumed... they have ninja skills to use TWO weapons AT THE SAME TIMES!!!1

*Thankfully the item gives Gorthor permission to use itself, thus the magic item rules take precedence over mundane rules.... Phew! Close shave!

sulla
10-02-2009, 03:32
The main rules differentiate between 'cast' (the amount rolled is equal or higher than the 'casting value') and 'cast successfully' (the 'cast' spell is not dispelled).

The VC spell 'curse of years' wounds every model in the target unit on a 6 when 'cast', not when 'cast successfully', so you should apply the effect before the enemy even rolls his dispel dice...:evilgrin::evilgrin::evilgrin:

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 03:38
sulla is my new best friend. :)

Ah, that one doesn't count - Phil kelly wrote it.

man, what will we do when we dont have him to kick around anymore?

Lordmonkey
10-02-2009, 06:48
The VC spell 'curse of years' wounds every model in the target unit on a 6 when 'cast'

Genius! :D

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 07:24
man, what will we do when we dont have him to kick around anymore?

Reflect back and think "Well, it could be worse."

sulla
10-02-2009, 09:32
sulla is my new best friend. :)

Yay! You can never have too many best friends...:D

gaiaterra
10-02-2009, 10:53
Might as well add my favourite DE RAW screw up to the list.

The spell soul stealer states that a sorceress can not go past double her starting wounds. Malekith is not a sorceress, (Hag, High or otherwise), when we realised the Witch King was about to go to 15 wounds we invoked common sense.

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 11:00
Might as well add my favourite DE RAW screw up to the list.

The spell soul stealer states that a sorceress can not go past double her starting wounds. Malekith is not a sorceress, (Hag, High or otherwise), when we realised the Witch King was about to go to 15 wounds we invoked common sense.

FAQ for DE erreta'd that so he did have the Sorceress rule.

EDIT:: or maybe it was the dark magic rule, can't remember. Either way, the rules all refer to "sorceress". Maybe that's why "he" never takes his armour off.

gaiaterra
10-02-2009, 11:55
The FAQ gave him the Druchii Sorcery rule.

Sorceress is a descriptive term or 'charachter type' (not a game term, but its the best I can think of) that covers Sorceress, High Sorceress and the Hag Sorceress.

Of course in the end it makes no difference, we play the rule as it was intended and just go to double wounds and laugh at the end of the game when we work out that the Witch King by the rules would have more wounds than the large infintry unit facing him.

invinciblebug
10-02-2009, 12:15
In the spirit of posting silly RAW interpretations:

OnG, Size matters:

Trolls only take panic tests caused by other trolls and giants

Immunity to terror, loosing 25% of the unit from shooting etc. unless it's caused by giants and trolls, nice.

OnG, brimstone bauble:

When the bearer is slain, all units (friend or foe) in base contact suffer d6 str 6 hits...

Nothing about units in base contact with the bearer, hits all across the board :p.

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 19:47
Nothing about units in base contact with the bearer, hits all across the board :p.

woot, WE skirmishing army-autowin button is held by an OnG item. :)

Dooks Dizzo
10-02-2009, 20:05
Some of these are just brilliant. If this thread gets big enough we should compile them and send them to GW as a joke book.

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 20:11
we can just send them the WoC book with like 4 other pages added to it.

W0lf
11-02-2009, 00:16
LMFAO @ Necckutter.

That was win. but yeah great idea...

Lord Dan
11-02-2009, 03:03
You know we're all laughing about how ridiculous these ideas are, but there are some lurkers who are musing their hands together and taking notes...

W0lf
11-02-2009, 22:28
Yes and those lurkers will likewise have fun not getting games and losing out to tourny refs.

decker_cky
11-02-2009, 22:34
woot, WE skirmishing army-autowin button is held by an OnG item. :)

Doesn't work too well against skirmishers, as they rarely have other skirmishers in base to base contact with themselves.

Lordmonkey
11-02-2009, 22:40
Yes and those lurkers will likewise have fun not getting games and losing out to tourny refs.

But they won the one game, and it's that one game that they will remember forever more while everyone else goes down the pub...

Shamfrit
11-02-2009, 22:41
we can just send them the WoC book with like 4 other pages added to it.

You absolutely 100% just redeemed yourself :D:D:D

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 00:32
i didnt know i was in trouble! :)
/wink

Asmodiseus
12-02-2009, 16:00
Ok how about this one.

Frost Blade

If a model suffers one or more wounds from the frostblade (after saves etc), they are slain outright and lose all remaining wounds.

So if anyone is having a dragon problem no worries, do a single wound to the dragon and the entire model is gone!

Lord Dan
12-02-2009, 18:21
Hey, that's the same as the Venom blade!

Harwammer
12-02-2009, 22:18
Ok how about this one.

Frost Blade

If a model suffers one or more wounds from the frostblade (after saves etc), they are slain outright and lose all remaining wounds.

So if anyone is having a dragon problem no worries, do a single wound to the dragon and the entire model is gone!

Kill a skink, steggy dies!

Darkmaw
13-02-2009, 03:08
How about this one...

Stubborn rule ignores break test modifiers. Stubborn rule modify break tests so it is a break test modifier.

Stubborn ignores itself and round and round goes the loop. :rolleyes:

Griefbringer
13-02-2009, 08:59
That stubborn interpretation reminds me of a certain recent Crimson Death discussion. In which some of the participants proved to be very stubborn. Until the not-so-unexpected Warseer inquisition showed up to bin the loop.

havoc626
13-02-2009, 09:15
I was just about to bring that one up.

Whoever it was that was saying the bearer couldn't die, are you psychic? 'Cause this popped up not long afterwards.

For those of you who don't know, one of the posters kept claiming (jokingly) that the model with the Crimson Death couldn't die, because that would be a modifier to the model's S.

Neckutter
13-02-2009, 09:36
that person is still around somewhere... just by a slightly different name.