PDA

View Full Version : Briohmar's Batrep Blog, The continuing saga

Briohmar
09-02-2009, 14:32
Well, I've decided to start consolidating all of these reports into a single thread, this way I've not got too many open. This week's installment involves another epic (or slightly less than) conflict between the Daemons and the upstart mortals of Chaos.

If there was one thing that Briohmar couldn't handle, it was copy-cats. Sriahdcat's Mortal force was ranging through Ostland as the outriders of the larger invasion, but in his follow-on role, Briohmar encountered a new force of Chaos mortals that were taking advantage of the situation, and pillaging through the region without his express permission so Briohmar sent his daemonic followers to put down the incursion.

OK, I went ahead and kept the same list from last week, again in the hopes that I'd be facing one of the hardcore Tourney lists, but none of the lads turned up. Instead I ended up facing a guy I had played against before, but who was fielding a list that looked remarkably similar to that of the only other Warriors of Chaos player in the group (me.) I consider this to be sincere flattery, so I offered him the opportunity to show me how well he could use it.

The Lists:

Daemons of Chaos
Keeper of Secrets: Lvl 4, Siren Song, Ether Blade

Herald of Slaanesh, Level 1

Herald of Tzeentch, Spell Breaker, Flames

12 Daemonettes, Alluress, Banner of Ecstasy

11 Daemonettes, Alluress, Banner of Ecstasy

11 Horrors, Icon of Sorcery

5 Furies

5 Seekers of Slaanesh, Siren Standard

5 Flesh Hounds

2 Fiends of Slaanesh

Warriors of Chaos
Exalted Champion of Slaanesh, Barded Steed, Sword of Might, Shield, MoS

Sorcerer of Slaanesh, Lvl 2, Barded Steed, Dispel Scroll, MoS

Sorceror of Nurgle, Lvl 2, Spell Familiar, Dispel Scroll, Chariot

Sorceror of Chaos, Lvl 2, Power Familiar, Chariot

5 Marauder horsemen: MoS, Flails, Musician

5 Marauder horsemen: Flails, Musician

5 Marauder horsemen: Flails, Musician

6 Chaos Hounds

6 Chaos Hounds

5 Knights of Pleasure: Full command, MoS,

5 Knights of Pleasure: Full Command, MoS

Giant of Slaanesh

Set Up

The battlefield was rather sparsey populated for this battle with just three hills and two forests. Terrain wasn't really going to matter that much as the battle looked to be an outright slugfest anyways. The Warrior Player picked his side and deployed from my left to right: Marauder Horse, with Fire Sorceror on Chariot behind, then 6 hounds with Knights of Slaanesh and Sorceror of Slaanesh behind, Then the Slaaneshi Marauder Horse, then another unit of 6 hounds screening for the Exalted Champ and his unit of Slaaneshi Knights, and finally the other unmarked horsemen screening for the Nurgle Sorceror on Chariot. I deployed across from him, the Furies, horrors and Herald of Tzeentch, the Seekers, the Fleshhounds, the Keeper, both units of Daemonettes, including the Herald, and finally the Fiends on the extreme right flank.

Turn 1
The Daemons were eager to come to grips with the interlopers, and moved to get into position. When I moved the Fiends up 20" directly infront of his far flank Marauder Horse he was rather shocked, and it got worse when he realized I had three more units that could move that fast. The Daemons then unleashed a barrage of pent-up magical destruction. The Horrors blasted the left side hounds, killing all six, followed closely by the Herald of Tzeentch hitting the Knights, but only causing a single wound. Then it was the Keeper's turn, and he let loose with Pavane against the Sorcerer of Slaanesh, who failed to stop the spell with three dice, and then failed to pass his leadership test, taking 4 wounds, and erasing him from all memory. The Keeper then tried Slicing Shards on the other unit of hounds, but it was stopped with a scroll. At this point, I want to go on the record as recomending that he use at least one scroll to stop the flames of Tzeentch, but he was insistant that he wanted to save them for later phases, unfortunately one of his scroll carrying mages was demolished before he even had the chance. I have not had such an effective magic phase in a very long time. The Warriors of Chaos responded with equal fervor, declaring four charges on turn 1, Marauder Horse on the Furies, Knights and Slaanesh Horse on the Fleshhounds, and Horsemen on the Fiends. He tried to sneak the Nurgle sorceror past the Horsemen/Fiends fight, but ran out of movement leaving the Fiends the option to hit it in the flank should they defeat the Horsemen. The Giant knights and hounds also moved forward, though, for some reason, a bit more cautiously. With now only two mages, the mortal sorcerers were unable to manage anything resembling a counter attack. Close combat saw the Marauder horsemen run clean through the furies, the Knights and Slaaneshi Marauders caused three wounds to the Fleshhounds, who returned the favor killing three horsemen and 1 knight resulting in a draw, but the Marauders had a musician, so the hounds lost, but easily passed their instability test. The Horsemen on the right also caused 2 wounds on the fiends, but lost four in return, and legged it right through the Nurgle Sorcerer's chariot, and were run down, leaving the Fiends solidly in his flank. OK, Ouch! That turn really didn't go so well for my opponent, and left him with even worse prospects for turn two, I was considering being a bit merciful with the charges for the next turn, but I realized that he didn't quite grasp how dificult the all mounted Chaos army could be to play, and not just play against. Most of my experience with the army has left me in an all or nothing scenario, either winning big or losing big, with very few in-betweens.

Turn Two

The Seekers merrily charged the flank of the CHaos Knights, and the Daemonettes tried to charge the hounds, who, understandably, ran far; ran fast. The Horrors turned around to face the threat from the Marauder Horsemen, and then Keeper repositioned himself to have a better line on the Exalted and his Knights. Magic was less impressive, with the Horrors failing to wound the Sorcerer's chariot (whoohoo, three S2 hits) and the Herald only killing one horseman. The Keeper did even worse, miscasting his first spell, though failing to wound himself, and then killing a single Chaos Knight with Slicing Shards. The Slaanesh Herald was still out of range to cast his Caucophonic Caress. Close Combat saw the death of the Nurgle sorcerer and his Chariot's destruction as it ran smack into the side of the hill. The Seekers managed to kill a chaos Knight, and the Fleshhounds di the same, and also killed one more horseman, but neither unit fled the fight. This I found remarkable, as my horsemen have a tendency to run at the first sign of danger, and his roll insane courage, and then his Knights roll a three. The Exalted Champion touched his spurs to the flanks of his mount, and he and his Knights went straight into the Daemonettes. In true fashion, the Exalted challenged the Aluress, and sent her back to the abyss in a whiff of ozone and perfume. The knights killed four more 'Nettes, but the banner kept them safe from further harm. The Giant charged the Herald and her 'Nettes, and caused three wounds, while taking three in return, but he neither ran nor fell over. The other Knights and their remaining Horseman had a bad round, and all of them were reduced to either dog food, or had their heads hung from the Siren Standard. The Left Flank Marauder Horsemen charged the Horrors, but much to their detriment, The Daemons finally started making some saves, and they were beaten down and chased away.

Out of time this afternoon, so I'll finish the report tomorrow.

lcfr
09-02-2009, 15:34
At this point, I want to go on the record as recomending that he use at least one scroll to stop the flames of Tzeentch, but he was insistant that he wanted to save them for later phases, unfortunately one of his scroll carrying mages was demolished before he even had the chance. I have not had such an effective magic phase in a very long time.

Great report so far. I thought Flames of Tzeentch was a daemonic gift, not a spell?

Briohmar
09-02-2009, 16:59
Good point, but I didn't have my book with me at work, and I couldn't remember the name Flickering Fire as I was writting it.

Briohmar
10-02-2009, 09:17
Turn Three:

There was only one charge for the Daemons at this point, and the Keeper was definitely going to make it. Right into the Flank of the Knights, and into direct contact with the enemy general. The Fiends moved away from the hill to line up for a flanking charge on the Giant, the Horrors and Herald reformed to take a shot at the Fire Sorceror on Chariot, and the Fiends and Hounds lined up to try to get a charge on the Chariot as well. Flickering Fire from the Horrors dealt 4 S7 hits to the Chariot, and reduce it to matchwood, while the Herald rolled horribly, and failed to wound the Sorcerer, but the sorcerer did panic after the destruction of his chariot, and legged it right to the edge of the board. The Keeper once again failed to cast Phantasmagoria, and Caucophonic caress was displled on two dice, while the Herald failed miserably to cast caress himself. Predictably, the Exalted Champion challenged the Keeper who dealt him a quick four wounds, dividing him and his horse into four equal pieces. The Knights killed a couple more 'Nettes, but lost the fight, and ran with the Keeper in hot pursuit. The Herald caused another wound on the Giant, as did the 'Nettes, while taking three in return, resulting in a win for the Giant, but no wounds for the 'Nettes. The Chaos Knights and Sorcerer both rallied, and the Sorcerer managed to fireball two Seekers. The Giant Yelled at the 'Nettes, who failed to wound him, but again they refused to give up a single wound to instability.

Turns Four and Five:

The Keeper charged the recently rallied Chaos Knights, The Fiends charged into the Giant's flank, and the two remaining Seekers charged the Sorcerer, who easily passed his fear test. Yet again, the Keeper failed to cast Phantasmagoria on 4 dice, and failed Caress on 2 dice. The Horrors had no line of sight or range on anybody, so they withdrew back towards their own deployment zone. In Combat, the Seekers completely missed the Sorcerer, and lost one in return, but the Sorcerer refused to run. The Keeper mecilessly chopped up the Chaos Knights, and the Fiends and Herald finally brought down the Giant, who naturally fell over on top of the Daemonettes, reducing the unit to Banner, Aluress and Herald. For the Warriors turn, the sorcerer managed to kill the other Seeker, and capture the Siren Standard. In response, the Fleshhounds rushed in and slaughtered the mage, and trampled the Slaaneshi standard into the dust.

Final scores: Daemons 2600, Warriors 420; Massacre to the Daemons.

I was actually stunned by how well that first magic phase went for me, and it really set the stage for the Warriors' ultimate defeat. I gave my opponent several sage pieces of advice through the course of the game, but he seemed loathe to take any of it. Also, I talked with him after the game about putting marks on his Horsemen, and explaining to him that direct frontal charges with the horsemen was equivalent to suicide, and in his second game, he seemed to take that advice to heart. I think his play style would be better suited to Khorne or Nurgle, As both would have a bit more survivability for him. Finally, it was one of those victories that I kind of felt bad about, because I literally took him apart one unit at a time, and there was nothing he could do to recover, especially with the errors he made in turn 1.

Briohmar
12-02-2009, 13:11
So, My next couple of reports will not feature me playing either of my preferred Armies. I am trying to Familiarize my son with using the Warriors of Chaos Army, in preparation for an upcoming Doubles Tournament. That being said, I am going to take him on at 3000 points using both Empire and Greenskins. The Empire Army will not have a Tank or a WAltar, but will be led by the only Special Character I ever use, the Reiks Marshal. The Basics of the army include two Battle Wizards, a Griffon BSB, a Priest, and Engineer, 2 Cannons, 1 Mortar, a Hellblaster and a rocket battery, two blocks of 20 infantry each with full detachments, 3 or four small Knights units (yes they are all Reiksguard, and most of them are the metal Reiksguard Knights,) Greatswords (you guessed it, Reiksguard footknights), and 6 pistoliers.

The Greenskins will have An Orc Warboss, Orc Great Shaman, Orc Shaman, Night Goblin Shaman, Goblin Shaman, and Goblin BB BSB With The extra Dispell dice banner, Core will be 3 Blocks of Orc Boys (one each with Choppa shiled, Spear Shield, and 2 choppas) 30 Night Goblins with Spears, nets, fanatics and shields, 30 Goblins with Hand weapons, Lt Armor and shields, 20 Night goblins with bows, 16 arrer boys, 2 small units of wolves, and one of spiders. For special we'll have 5 Boar Boys, lobba, 2 chuckas, and 20 Black Orcs, for rares, doom diver and Giant.

There may be some stuff I'm forgetting at the moment, but I'll post full lists with the batreps.
The Chaos List will be pure Slaanesh (all marked except the hounds):
Sorceror Lord Lvl 4 with Power Familiar, Biting Blade, Dispel Scroll, Collar of Khorne, Soporific musk, Barded Steed

Exalted Hero, Sword of Might, Barded Steed, Shield

Exalted Hero, BSB, Barded Steed, Banner of Wrath, Shield

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Chariot, Cojoined Homonculous, Dispel Scroll

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Barded Steed, Puppet, Scroll

12 Warriors, Rapturous Standard, Full Command

20 Marauders, Flails, Full Command

12 Marauders, Musician, Great Weapons

5 Marauder Horse, Flails, Musicians

5 Marauder Horse, Flails, Musician

5 Marauder Horse, Spears, Shields, Musician

6 Hounds

6 Hounds

5 Hounds

5 Knights, Full Command, Banner of Rage

5 Knights, Full Command

2 Spawns

War Shrine.

Malorian
12-02-2009, 14:30
That was quite the slaughter against the WoC...

Wish my kid was old enough to enter into a doubles tournament...

Briohmar
12-02-2009, 14:38
Chris just turned 13, and he is interested, but lacks focus, so I want to get in as many battles as I can with him. This way he knows the army well, and won't make too many mistakes during the Tourney, but playing as partners, I'll be right there beside him to keep him focused and going in the right direction.

Briohmar
15-02-2009, 13:34
Well, dispite what I said earlier about 3K games, I forgot I had to work this weekend, and work early. Had to be in at 2am on Saturday, and 4am on Sunday. That being said, I decided to play 2K instead.

The Forces of Chaos:

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Cojoined Homonculous, Dispel Scroll

11 Warriors, Rapturous Standard, Full Command

6 Hounds

5 Hounds

5 Knights, Full Command

5 Knights, Full Command

1 Spawn of Slaanesh

War Shrine.

The Empire Heroes:

Grand Master, Mace of Helstrum, Crimson Amulet

Captain, BSB, Griffon Standard, Full Plate

Battle Wizard, Lvl 2 Doomfire Ring, Talisman of Protection, using Heavens, had Forked Lightning and Portent.

Warrior Priets, 2 weapons, Heavy Armor, White Cloak

5 Knights, Full Command (general went here)

5 Knights, Champ and Musician

5 Knights, Champ and Musician

20 Spearmen, Full Command

Det1 10 Swordsmen
Det 2 6 Handgunners

12 Handgunners, Marksman with Hochland

Cannon

Mortar

12 Greatswords, Full Command (Priest went here)

6 Pistoliers, Marksman with Repeater

Hellblaster.

Set Up:

Terrain: Standard Tourney Set, hills in opposite corners, woods in opposite corners, and a lake in the middle.

From Left to right, Chaos: Marauder Horse with Flails, Warshrine, Marauder Horse with Spears, 5 Hounds with Warriors and Sorcerer behind, Hounds with Knights and General behinds, Spawn, Knights and Sorcerer with Marauders behind, and Chariot.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010815.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010816.jpg

Empire from left to right: Pistoliers, Knights, General's Knights, Swords det, Spearmen with Wiz and BSB, guns det and Hellblaster, Greatswords with Priest followed by Handgunners and Mortar, Knights follwed by Cannon.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010818.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010817.jpg

OK, a little about the plan. Knowing the Chaos list as well as I do, I had a distinct advantage. I was scared of the Chaos Knights, because I've had them tear through units many times in the past, last edition even regular Knights were scary, but even more so now that they're all chosen. So I decided to deploy in a castle on the right, around the hill, and keep the faster/harder hitting elements on the left, to try to break through and envelope. On the right, I was going to focus fires on one unit of knights, and try to reduce the threat, at least a bit. All Slaanesh Marks means no panic for the Chaos army, so I just wanted to shoot as much as I could and hunker down. Chris' plan was to smash through my army just as hard as he could.

More to follow.

Briohmar
17-02-2009, 12:35
The main body of the army began moving into the Empire, and as the vanguard crossed into Ostland, they encountered an Empire force sent to block, or at least slow, their progress. Exalted of Slaanesh Christoph brought his forces up short, and arrayed them to punch through.

Turn 1

The Warriors lost the roll for first turn, but I obligingly allowed Chris to go first. In an uncharacteristic move, the Warriors advanced rather uniformly, maintaining a battle line. Only the Hounds on the left moved fully forward. With almost all of his magic out of range to do anything, he cast Hysterical Frenzy on my General's unit (the boy is learning.) The empire responded emphatically, the Pistoliers and knights moved up on the left, the General's Knights charged the hounds, the Knights on the right moved forward just a bit, and everyone else stayed put. Magic was a no-show, but hopefully shooting would do better. The Cannon attempted to blast the Chariot and misfired, the Mortar scattered 8 inches off target and fell harmlessly between the two forces, and the Handgunners, all at extreme range, managed to kill 3 hounds. (So much for shooting.) The General's Knights did a little better, smashing clean through the hounds, and over-running into the Chaos Warriors. (OK, maybe he's not learning just yet. The hounds should have been positioned to divert, not to bring Frenzied knights into the warriors and Sorcerer.)
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010819.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010820.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010822.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010821.jpg

Turn 2

The Marauder horsemen unleashed. The Flail wielders charged the pistoliers who decided to stand and shoot, and the spear unit charged the knights. The main body still stayed relatively on-line as they gradually approached, except for the hounds who ran forward towards the Greatswords and Priest. Magic was a no-show for either sorcerer, while the Shrine granted the flail horsemen, now depleted by two from pistol fire, an additional armor save. The three remaining flail horsemen cracked three pistolers down, and lost one in return. The Pistoliers took off running (this was my first flee roll of 4 inches for the game, there will be more,) and the marauders ran them down before they reached the forest. The Sorcerer challenged, and the Knights Champion accepted, promptly stabbing him twice with his lance and killing him. The remaining Knights mowed down three more Warriors, and the General accounted for two. Even the Rapturous Standard was not enough to keep the remaining few warriors in place and they were run down. The spear Marauders met with a similar situation, unable to penetrate the armor of all but one of the Knights, who inturn shish-kebabbed two. The Marauders turned their horses around and ran past the Warshrine with the knights in hot pursuit. The Empire was cheered by the events unfolding on their flank. The General's unit turned around and moved towards the main Chaos line. The Greatswords charged into the hounds, and the Knights slammed headlong into the Chariot. Magic was again a dismal failure. The guns opened up, but the cannoniers overloaded the Cannon, and watched their shot fly over the Spawn and into the Chaos Knights killing one, and a Marauder behind them as well. The Mortar, however, was dead on, and sent 10 more Marauders back to the realms of Chaos, but only in spirit form. The Hellblaster took a bead on the Knights and pulled the lanyard, resulting in exactly nothing (misfire on the first barrel.) The Handgunners unleashed hell on the Chaos knights, killing three (yes, he botched a lot of armor saves.) The Greatswords chopped down the hounds, but decided to stay put, and brace for the impending Knights charge. The Knights severly damaged the Chriot, and chased it back towards the woods, and the other Knights bounced off the Warshrine's Ward Savesm but stayed in place to continue the fight.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010826.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010824.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010827.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010828.jpg

Malorian
17-02-2009, 15:44
You played those empire like a dwarf player ;) hard to blame you though.

Looking at the end of turn 2 I'd say you have it in the bag.

Briohmar
18-02-2009, 12:35
Thanks for the comments Mal. Yes I did use the standard Dwarf tactic, that's where I learned it from; playing against Dwarves all the time. At any rate, moving on:

Turn 3

Chaos continued its stedy advance on the Empire Position. The Flail Horsemen rounded the forest and moved towards the flank, the other Horsemen, however failed their rally test and ran off the board. The recently reduced in strength Marauders reformed to face the Empire General, while the Spawn and Sorcerer's Knights moved forward, and the Chaos General's Knights charged the Greatswords. The Sorcerer attempted a Hellshriek, but miscast, allowing the Bright Wizard to cast forked lightning on the Sorcerer's knights, but with no damage. Close combat saw the Warshrine defeating and running down the remaining few Knights, and the Chaos General killing the Greatswords champion in a challenge, but the "Eye was closed," it being only a champion, and the other two knights killing 2 more, but the Greatswords stubbornly held their position. The Empire General and his Knights charged into the waiting flails of the Marauders, the small unit of Knights came around to threaten the Chaos Knights rear, while everyone else held position yet again. Magic saw Forked lightning again ineffectively cast on the Sorcerer's Knights, and second sign dispelled. The Cannon seriously overshot the Spawn (roll of a 10 on the artillery die) the Mortar decided there was no clear target to shoot at, and the Hellblaster unleashed on the advancing horsemen, reducing them to a gooey mess. The Handgunners all took aim, but failed to injure any of the Sorcerer's Knights (Chris rolled awesomely for his armor saves this turn, making 6 saves at 3 plus.) In CC, the Priest accepted the challenge and was laid low, while the Knights killed another 2 Greatswords with no wounds in return, but again, with the pressence of the Battle Standard, the Greatswords held.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010829.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010830.jpg

Turn 4

The Chaos Spawn rushed in to help his General's Knights, while the Sorcerer's knights leveled their weapons and charged the Handgunners, and the Warshrine moved closer to the fight. The Chaos Sorcerer again miscast Hellshriek, and ended the magic phase. In Close combat I got to see yet again why I rarely play my Empire army. The Chaos Knights slaughtered the handgunnerswho failed to hit on their stand and shoot, and as they ran, the entire hill, minus the mortar crew panicked off the board, but don't worry, the Chaos Knights were able to clean up that oversight by pursuing into the gun. OK, the Hellblaster didn't run off the board, but they were close until they rallied up. The Spawn and Knights slaughtered all but the Banner of the Greatswords, who miraculously held. The Small unit of Knights and the General's Knights both lowered their lances to charge the Spawn and Chaos Knights respectively, but the the smaller Knights naturally failed their fear test, and remained in place.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010831.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010832.jpg

Turn 5

The Spawn, no longer in contact with the Greatswords moved forward, but fell short of the Spearmen, while the Chaos Knights did what they do best, slaughtering the last Greatsword and the Mortar Crew. The Empire Knights were able to overcome their fear, and charged into the Chaos General's rear, while the Spearmen, tired of sitting on their thumbs charged the Spawn. The Swordsmen also moved away to face off with the Shrine. There was no longer any magic, but the Hellblaster let fly against the Warshrine, causing an unprecedented two wounds (the Knights in Turn three wounded it once as well.) CC saw the Empire Knights Skewering the Chaos Knight Champ, but losing their champ in the return challenge, however, the Chaos General failed his break test, and ran into the waiting spears of the Empire troops, while the Knights followed up into the rear of the Spawn, causing a wound on it, as well did the BSB, but the Spearmen lost one man in return (can you believe it, the Spearmen actually made a 6+ armor save.)

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010833.jpg
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010834.jpg

The Final Turn

The Warshrine Charged and ran down the Swordsmen detachment, and the Chaos knights came around to face off against the Empire General. The Chaos Sorcerer finally cast Hellshriek, resulting in the Hellblaster panicking and running another four inchesThe Empire failed to wound the Spawn, and lost a Knight in return. In a fianl act of Glory, the Grandmaster charged into the Chaos sorcerer and his Knights, Slaughtered the Sorcerer in the ensuing challenge and ran the rest down. The Hellblaster rallied yet again, and the Spearmen and remaining Knight held against the Spawn.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/P1010835.jpg

After Game Thoughts

Massacre to the Empire with a total score of 2191 to the Empire and 1159 to Chaos. The Panic Bomb on te hill was what I truly dread when playing Empire. I never make panic tests in a situation like that, which is probably the most significant reason I play Slaanesh. The Shining stars of the Empire were the Greatswords, holding for as long as they did against the Chaos Knights, while my Pistoliers, as usual, were my biggest disappointment. Chris is getting better, and just a couple of rolls going his way could have turned this game into a win for Chaos, we'll see how he does against the Greenskins on Saturday.

SevenSins
18-02-2009, 16:13
nice rep, you sure showed him who's the master of the manor :p

fine job with both diagrams and pics (but could you get larger pics please?)

Malorian
18-02-2009, 16:24
Panic bomb is a pain, but it wasn't enough to save him.

Good game. With Peegore being AWOL yours are now my favorite reports to read :)

Briohmar
18-02-2009, 16:56
For some reason the photobucket shrinks down my pics, and I get get them to enlarge. I even used the good camera for this report, instead of my little Sony 3.2 meg pocket camera. The pics I have on my computer that I loaded from the computer look good even at full page.

Thanks Mal, I am honored.

Briohmar
23-02-2009, 17:46
The Fight For The Border Outpost

As the Slaaneshi invasion force continued to pour through the passes into Ostland, a force was dispatched to take out one of the border towers that the Empire troops used to light warning beacons. As the Chaos Warriors approached, something didn't appear right. Clearly, there were the remnants of a fire burning near the tower, but the smoke smell wafting through the air carried with it the stench or burning flesh as well as woodsmoke. As the Marauder scouts drew closer, they could see a great deal of activity around the tower, as a large force was encamped around it. The scouts moved closer still, coming in downwind of the encampment, and detected even worse smells than those of charred flesh and hair... Orcs! It had to be. Apparently, the border tower was no longer a threat to the forces, but there was now a large mass of smelly green things sitting in a location that could threaten the flanks of the army as it advanced.
The Slaanesh Commander held a quick council of war, and decided that they needed to take out the greenskins, or at least drive them howling into the forest.

Right, as promised, I took on Christopher's Chaos Warriors using my greenskins. the Chaos army had no changes to it:

The Forces of Chaos:

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Cojoined Homonculous, Dispel Scroll

11 Warriors, Rapturous Standard, Full Command

6 Hounds

5 Hounds

5 Knights, Full Command

5 Knights, Full Command

1 Spawn of Slaanesh

War Shrine.

The Great Green Tide:

Black Orc Warboss, Heavy Armor, Martog's Best Basha, Enchanted Shield, Warboss Um's Best Hat, Imbad's Iron Gnashas.

Night Goblin Shaman, Staff of Sneaky Stealin'

Orc Shaman, Staff of Baduumm

20 Orc Boys, Full Command, Shields

19 Orc Boys, Full Command, two Choppas (Orc Shaman here.)

30 Night Goblins, Full Command, Spears, Shields, Nets, 2 Fanatics (NG Shaman Here)

24 Night Goblins, Full Command, Short Bows, 2 Fanatics

5 Spider Riders, Musician, Bows, Spears, Shields

5 Wolf Riders, Bows, Spears, Musician

11 Black Orcs, Full Command, Gork's Waagh Banner (Warboss here)

6 Squig Hoppers

2 Spear Chukkas

Doom Diver

Giant

The Cunning Plan

As the Warboss instead of the Chaos Knight, I had to really think this thing through carefully. I realized that by taking the giant, several of my units weren't nearly as big as they used to be, I hope he's worth it. Still, I'd have liked to have some more Black Orcs, ad maybe boost the Orc boys to 25 each, oh well. With the tower in my deployment zone, there was no question I had to put the shooty things there, so all three warmachines were deployed at the top of the tower. Both fast cav units went on the extreme left flank, as I figured they'd be facing off against Marauder horse, and if they got the charge, could actually do some damage, and the wolfs, with the extra charge distance had the best chance of getting the charge. There was a pond in the middle of the field, so I put one unit of Night Grots on either side of it, figuring that the Fanatics would have their best opportunities from the middle. The Hoppers would be set at the base of the tower, and move towards whatever looked the most dangerous on that flank. As Orcs like to fight, I figured it would be in character to take the fight to the Chaos boys, but I really didn't think I could carry the fights very well without some support. The Giant had the chance of wiping the floor with some Chaos Warrirors, so he would go where the Warriors went, and the Black Orcs, with Warboss would be where they could get a charge off on the Chaos Knights when the Night Goblins ran. At any rate, that was the plan, but it went considerably different, as is wont with the Great Green.

Briohmar
26-02-2009, 12:38
Set Up:

The Terrain was similar to last game, except in the Orc Deployment zone there was a large tower, and a smaller tower in the Chaos Deployment zone.

Chaos set up from left to right, Marauder Horse with spears, Chariot, Warriors with Sorcerer, Spawn, Hounds screening General's Knights, Hounds Screening Sorcerer's Knights, Marauders, Marauder Horse, Warshrine.

The Orcs set up from left to right: Wolfriders, Spiderriders, Giant, Night Gobs with Bows with Orc boys with shields behind them, Black Orcs with Warboss, Night Gobs with spears and Night Gob Shaman, Orcs with Shaman, Squig Hoppers, and the two Spear Chukkas and Doom Diver in the tower.

The Orcs won the first turn.

Turn 1
Animosity was a mixed mess for the first turn. The Spiderriders and Wolfriders both moved forward 4 and 5 inches respectively on the left flank, while the Orc Shaman and his Boys and the Squig Hoppers squabbled on the right flank. Most everybody moved forward from there, with the Night Goblins with bows leading the attack. Magic saw an Irresistible force casting of Hand of Gork on the Night Gobs with bows, who mcharged forward and released their fanatics, killing three Chaos Warriors, but falling short of the Marauder Horsemen. With the Orc Shaman squabbling, magic ended. Shooting began with something equally spectacular; the Doom diver scored a hit on its die roll, but was 2" short on the guess, adjustment for the batwinged loonie scored a direct hit on the marauders killing 3. The Spear Chukkas also shot at the Marauders, but only one hit and killed two more Marauders. The Night Gobs with bows couldn't shoot as they had marched. Chaos responded violently. The Warriors charged the Night Gobs, who promptly fled. The Chaos Hounds moved forward to spring the other batch of fanatics, and ended their movement on one, yes they died, but the damage was done. Magic saw Titilating Delusions cast on the Night Gobs, so they would be marching towards the Sorcerer's Chaos Knights.

Turn 2

The Warboss called the WAAGH! OK, maybe it was a bit premature, but I rarely have a Warboss alive past turn 2, so I like to call it early. Even still, the Orc Shaman and his boys insisted on carrying on with their argument from the previous turn, and 4 Orcs died to finally restore order. The Wolf and Spider Riders charged the Marauder Horsemen, The Giant charged the Chaos Warriors, the Night Goblins with bows continued running, the other Night Goblins marched towards the Chaos Knights, and the Squig Hoppers charged the other Marauder Horsemen. The Fanatics moved araound with only one of them causing damage to the Marauders (killing 3.) Magic was a dismal failure with the Orc Shaman still squabbling, so on to shooting. The Doom Diver fired its lunatic at the Chaos Sorcerer's Knights, but scattered 8" off target, and to within 2 inches of the other hounds, the loonie's adjustment roll brought him down clean on the hounds and he killed all five. The two Spear Chukkas shot at the now exposed Chaos Knights, but one missed, and the other killed a Knight. Close combat saw the death of three Chaos Warriors to a club swing, and three wounds in return. The Giant stubbornly held, and didn't fall over. Hey, its nearly a miracle, my Giants usually fall over the first time they lose a fight, and then continue to lose. The Spiders and Wolves killed three Marauder Horsemen, and lost two Wolfriders, but the Horsemen broke and ran right through the fanatic who slaughtered the remaining two. The Spiders attempted to restrain pursuit, but failed, and also ran through the Fanatic, resulting in all five dead. The 3 remaining wolfriders ran smack into the Chariot. The Squig hoppers ate all but one of the Marauder horse on their side, and chased the last one into the woods. Chaos responded by charging the Sorcerer's Knights charged headlong into the Night Goblins. Magic on the Chaos side was dismal, with only one spell getting cast, and then dispelled by the Orc Shaman. Close combat saw the death of 6 Night Goblins, including the Boss, but thanks to the nearness of the Warboss, they held firm. The Giant however, after taking two more wounds, and only causing one, decided to run away (12") with the Chaos Warriors in rather cold pursuit (3".)

Turn 3

A turn without Animosity is like a day without sunshine Actually, its pretty good to have every unit in your army agree to do as they're told, and they surely did as they should. The Orc Boys Charged the Chaos Warriors, the Squig Hoppers charged the Warshrine, and even the Orc Shaman's Boys marched forward with a much happier step (having slaughtered the four trouble makers the previous turn.) Even the Night Goblins and the Giant both rallied. The Fanatics had a rough time of it. The first one sun through the chariot, and into the hillside, the second spun straight into the woods and wrapped himself around a tree, and the third one hit both units of Chaos Knights and the spear wielding Night Gobs, resulting in the death of 3 Night Gobbos. Magic saw the Orc Shaman roll up his sleeves and get down to business, casting the Waagh with irresistable force. Bringing the recently rallied Giant charging into the Spawn, and the Night Gobs forward towards the fight in the center. None of the Warmachines were in a position to move, and so were safe from the Waagh. OK, in retrospect, the Giant shouldn't have gotten the charge, but we got caught up in the moment. Shooting saw yet another miraculous shot by the Doom Diver Killing three (count 'em 1,2,3!) Chaos Knights from the General's unit, and a Spear Chukka killed another, leaving only the General and Champion. Again, no bow shots from the Night Gobs. Close Combat saw the Orc bows slaughter the few remaining Chaos Warriors, even wounding the Sorcerer in the challenge, and then running them into the ground. The Night Gobs, however were unable to hold for a second round, and were run down as they turned, resulting in the Chaos Knights hitting the Black Orcs head on. The Chariot Warriors finally saw off the Wolf Riders, and the Hoppers caused two wounds on the Shrine, lost three in return, but refused to break. The Chaos General and his Knight Champ charged into the flank of the Giant, while the Marauders and Chariot moved into position to attack. Magic saw the Orc Shaman's Boys deluded to move as fast as they could towards the Marauders. While the ensuing combat saw the Black Orc Warboss killing the Sorcerer in the Challenge, but the unit losing and being run down by the remaining 4 Knights. The General and the Champion completely whiffed their attacks, with only one horse actually hitting and no wounds caused, and the Giant Thumped the Spawn for "10!!!" wounds. Finally, the Warshrine chopped up the three remaining hoppers.

Briohmar
26-02-2009, 14:45
Right, Onto the second half of the battle.

Turn 4
The Greenskins were looking a bit short on things to charge. The Shaman and his Boys were just in range to be march blocked by the Chaos Knights, so, under the influence of Delusions, they trundled forward. The other Orc Boys discovered that they were facing the wrong way, and with much shouting, arguing, punching and coercing, they reformed to face the depleted chaos knights, not caring one iota about the enemy Chariot sitting off in their flank because the Night Grots were there to protect them from the big cart. I actually considered the Chariot to be less of a threat because it couldn't break ranks by itself or claim a flank bonus which meant it had to do more than 5 wounds to cause me any danger. Ok, lets face it, I was accepting some serious risk on this one, but the grots were moved forward to flank the chariot if needed. Magic saw the Orc Shaman come out big yet again with the Waagh spell, this time cast on a 13 on three dice plus one for Baduum, and Chris, having lost both Sorcerers was now down to two dice. He rolled anyways in the hopes of Boxcars, but alas, it was just not to be. The Orc Boys rammed into the flank of the Chaos Knight Champion, the Night Grots strolled 6 inches forward, and for whatever reason, the Shaman's own unit tripped and stumbled a grand total of 3 inches, not even enough to contact the marauders. Shooting saw the Doom Diver score yet another adjusted direct hit, this time causing 2 unsaved wounds on the Warshrine, and the Spear Chukkas causing one more wound on it, just one to go. In their turn, the Chariot charged the flank of the Orcs, the Marauders charged the other Orcs and the Warshrine and Chaos Knights moved to a better position to get back into the fight. The Chariot caused three wounds total, but lost combat and ran with the Orcs in hot pursuit. The Marauders also lost combat and ran.

Turn 5

The Orcs boys both charged their respective fleeing enemies, and both fled again, with the chariot running far away, but the Marauders stopping short of the table edge. Not ready to risk a miscast, the shooting phase went into full swing with the Doom Diver scoring yet another direct hit, this time killing the remaining 4 Chaos Knights. The two Chukkas shot at the Shrine, but failed to wound it. In the Chaos phase, the Marauders rallied, and the Warshrine moved to try to get to the Orcboys one more time.

Turn 6

The three remaining units all passed their animosity checks, and the Shaman's Boys charged the Marauders. The Doom Diver and Chukkas shot everything they had at the Shrine and managed to knock off its final wound. The Orc boys killed two marauders and ran the rest off.

End results, Orcs by a massacre. Some thoughts on the game. I realized after the fact that the Waagh spell would make the artillery have to move forward, but at the time, I was thinking that they had no place to move to, since they were on top of the tower. I guess I need to read the rules for buildings more closely. The Goblin of the Match was definitely the Doom Diver Catapult, having personally accounted for one and a half units of Chaos Knights, Three quarters of the Warshrine, a whole unit of hounds, and more than half of the Marauders. Even if the Diver hadn't fired the two turns the Waagh was cast, it would still have been an ugly loss for the Chaos Warriors, and the Diver would have still had four direct hits.

Malorian
26-02-2009, 15:13
Go green skins!!! :)

Your report isn't all the way up yet but the pictures tell the rest of the story. Those warmachines sure did their job.

The only problem is when you use the Waaagh spell it moves up the warmachines too so they can't shoot :(

Briohmar
26-02-2009, 17:13
I realized that after the fact, as I forgot the rules for buildings in this edition. I assumed that the war machines on top of the tower were incapable of moving, as they were basically bunkered in.

I think the worst thing that happened to Chris was the case of rubber lance that the Exalted and Knight Champion experienced against the Giant, out or 9 attacks, only one hit, and it failed to wound a 1 wound giant.

lcfr
26-02-2009, 17:30
Which Chaos sorcerors were Slaanesh-marked, both? Looked like a good game, poor Warriors were just waist deep in a green tide though.

Briohmar
26-02-2009, 18:32
Yep, both Sorcerers were Slaanesh marked. This was a day where everything went right for the Greenskins, its a rare thing, but it happens. I was actually expecting to lose this game, as it would give Chris a bit more confidence in what he is doing, but alas, the green tide got to rolling, and it just kept going.

Briohmar
04-03-2009, 09:38
So this week's Battle was between my Daemons and Chris' Warriors. Our local club was hosting a 40K tourney, so we couldn't go. The points were immaterial, as Chris had over 3850, and I came in at around 3540. I figured the extra 300 or so points would give Chris the advantage he needed.

The Lists:

Warriors of Chaos:
Exalted Hero, Barded Steed, Sword of Might, Shield, MoS

Sorcerer Lord, Lvl 4, Barded Steed, Biting Blade, Collar of Khorne, Bronze Armor, Power Familiar, Diepll Scroll, MoS

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Barded Steed, Rod of Torment, MoS

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Chariot, Cojoined Homunculous, Dispel Scroll, MoS

Exalted Hero, BSB, Barded Steed, War Banner, MoS

12 Chaos Warriors, Full Command, Banner of Wrath, MoS, Shields

12 Chaos Warriors, Full Command, XHW, MoS

20 Marauders, Full Command, Flails, MoS

5 Marauder Horse, Flails, Musician, MoS

5 Marauder Horse, Spear, Shields, Musician, MoS

6 Hounds, Scaly Skin

5 Hounds, Scaly Skin

5 Hounds, Scaly Skin

5 Chaos Knights, Full Command, Rapturous Standard, MoS

5 Chaos Knights, Full Command, Banner of Rage, MoS

3 Dragon Ogres, Great Weapons

Chariot, MoS

Spawn, MoS

Spawn, MoS

Spawn, MoS

Warshrine, MoS

Shaggoth

The Daemons

Keeper of Secrets, Lvl 4, Siren, Etherblade

Daemon Princess, Many Armed, Wings, Lvl 2 MoS

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1, Torment Blade

Herald of Slaanesh, BSB, Steed, Banner of Despair

Herald of Tzeentch, Lvl 2, Flames, Spell Breaker

Herald of Khorne, Armor of Khorne, Torment Blade

17 Daemonettes, Aluress, Standard of Ecstacy

12 Daemonettes, Aluress, Standard of Ecstacy

17 Bloodletters, Full Command, Icon of Endless War

9 Furies

5 Seekers, Siren Standard

6 Flesh Hounds

3 Fiends

6 Flamers with Pyrocaster

Game was played on the 4' X 8' table this time, with 11 pieces of terrain including 4 hills, 3 forests, the lake, a rock formation, and a wall (see graphic for locations. The hills are orange, the forests are green, the lake is blue, the rock is light grey, and the ruined temple is dark grey.)

Before I jump in with the writing, it has dawned on me that Chris is still not realizing certain things. As I was drawing up the graphics, it dawned on me that he always deploys the same way: He starts with Chariots and the Warshrine on the outer edges, and Knights in the middle, Horsemen are usually out on the flanks as well, but inside of the chariot wings. The infantry too, is more center. What this creates is a W formation as he advances, and it is no wonder I am able to break through his forces relatively easily, as his units do not mutually support. I am going to have to alter this tactic, as we have three doubles tournaments coming up in the next four weeks. I think I'm going to try to teach him to line up the infantry in the middle, the Chariots and Shrine to either side of them, then the Knights, and finally the horsemen out on either wing. This should create a more stable battle line for him, with double enveloping forces available. That, or go for a single enveloper, and all the infantry to one side.

Deployment: The Warriors deployed from left to right as I saw them: Sorcerer on Chariot, Marauder Horse, Marauder Horse, Marauders, Spawn, Dragon Ogres with Wrath Banner Warriors behind, Spawn, hounds with Rage Banner Knights, Sorcere and Exalted behind, Spawn, Hounds with XHW Warriors behind, Hounds Screening for Rap Stnd Knights Sorcerer Lord and BSB, Marauder Horse, Marauder Horse, Shaggoth in the ruined temple, Warshrine, and Chariot.

The Daemons Deployed, also left to right from my perspective, Flesh Hounds, Seekers with BSB Herald, Bloodletters, Daemon Princess, Small Daemonettes unit, Keeper, Big Daemonettes unit with Herald, Horrors with Herald, Furies, Fiends, and Flamers. Looking at the graphic and the pictures, I was pretty seriously outnumbered. If it was me on the other side of the table, I would have actually been pretty scared of what I was facing. Chris had 6 or seven more units to deploy after I was done placing.

Briohmar
05-03-2009, 10:30
Well, being outnumbered by quite a bit, the Daemons received the +1 to go first, and effectively rolled a 7.

Turn 1, Positioning:

The Daemons advanced rather cautiously, knowing that their mortal opponents could defeat them in 1-on-1 fights in many instances. Everyone moved up less than their total movement capabilities, but close enough to potentially charge next time. Magic saw the Keeper cast Phantasmagoria, but no other spells were successful. The mortal's response was measured as well, with only one unit of marauder Horsemen breaking formation to charge the Seekers and Herald of Slaanesh. The rest advanced to position themselves better to fight as well. Magic was a no-starter for the Warriors as well, except for the Warriors themselves getting a blast through from the Banner of Wrath, which killed 1 Daemonette, first blood to the Warriors. In Close combat, however, the agility of the Seekers and Herald proved too much for the Marauder horse, who were obliterated to a man.

Turn 2, CHAAARGE!!!
Well, with the scent of human blood cascading across the field, the Daemons all were taken by the need to kill. The Flesh Hounds Charged the Sorcerer's Chariot, the Seekers charged the Marauder Horse, the Bloodletters hit the Spawn, the Daemon Prince and Daemonettes hit the Dragon Ogres in the front and flank, The Daemonettes with Herald Charged some hounds, the furies slammed into a unit of marauder horse, and the Fiends hit the other chariot head-on. The Keeper and the Flamers maneuvered to better positions as well. Magic was dismal failure for the Daemons who failed to successfully cast a single spell. With shooting, however the Tzeentchy Daemons were a little more successful. The Herald managed to kill a Marauder Horseman, and the Flamers managed to cause a single wound on the Warshrine. Close combat was short and decisive. The Fleshhounds broke the Sorcerer on chariots, and ran him into the ground just before colliding into the flank of the Marauder horsemen. The Seekers and Fleshhounds were able to turn the horsemen into a light lunch, and both over-ran. The Bloodletters chopped the Spawn into little pieces and continued on into the big unti of Flail wielding Marauders. The 'Nettes and Princess broke the DrOgres and ran them down before nearly colliding with the Bloodletters. The Herald and 'Nettes chopped up their hounds and overran into the Sorcerer Lord's Chaos Knights. The furies managed to kill three Marauder Horsemen, and lost one in return, but the Horsemen weren't done yet, and the Fiends caused 1 wound on the Chariot but took 2 in return; Draw. The Mortals responded as best they could. The remaining unengaged Marauder Horse charged the Furies in their flank, and the two remaining Spawn slammed into the Keeper. Magic was again un-eventful. Close combat was less violent than before, but the Furies were destroyed, and sent popping back to the Aether, the Marauders fled after much blood was released to Khorne's greater glory, one of the Spawn laid its life down on the Etherblade of the Keeper, and the Fiends and Chariot Drew combat yet again.

Briohmar
05-03-2009, 14:26
Turn Three: Batting Clean-up, number 24 Briohmar Sriahdcat

The Daemons had nobody to charge at this point, so everybody who could repositioned to try to get back into the fight. The Keeper of Secrets lashed out magically with a Cacauphonic caress that killed 2 hounds from one unit, 1 hound from another, two Knights from the Sorcerer Lord's unit, and failed to wound the Warriors or spawn, then S/he followed up with an IF casting of Phantasmagoria. The Herald leaves the Horros unit, and casts Flickering Fire at the Shaggoth which does 4 S2 hits, all of which fail to wound (big surprise there.) The Horrors follow that up with a 2, not enough to cast Flickering Fire. The flamers adjusted themselves to avoid being charged by the Warshrine, and then let fly at it causing an additional two wounds, and the herald took aim at the Marauder horse, killing one more of them. In CC, the Keeper made Spawn puree, the Herald of Slaanesh wounds the BSB, and takes a wound in return, while the remaining knights and Sorcerer Lords reduce 6 Daemonettes to clouds of perfume and ozone; losing three more to instability, and the Fiends finally off the Chariot. Under the effect of Phantasmagoria, both units of hounds attempt to charge the Keeper, the first fails its terror test and runs right through a Daemon unit, resulting in its utter destruction, while the second just quivered in fear, and refused to move forward. The Chaos Warriors did succeed in charging the Flesh Hounds, and the Shaggoth had no hesitation charging the Horrors. Finally, the remaining few Marauder horsemen try to charge the Flamers, who opt to stand and shoot, wiping out the bold horsemen before they can even get their steeds to a gallup. The only effective bit of magic for the warriors is the Rod of Torment which blasts 2 Bloodletters. CC sees the Chaos knights chop down a whole lot more Daemonettes, including the Aluress in the BSB's second Challenge of the fight, and the last four fell to instability. The Warriors killed one Flesh Hound with no wounds back, and three more vanished in a particularly nasty Instability test. On the other side of the battlefield, though, the Shaggoth discovers that his Great Weapon isn't really so great, as he whiffs four attacks, fails to wound one Horror, and another passes her Ward Save. Naturally, the Horrors can't wound the Shaggoth, but with a rank, banner and number, the Shaggoth has to test, and that third die really came in big time, as the Shaggoth runs off 6 inches. With a look of utter confidence in their eyes, the Horrors give chase and trip while going over the fence. (The horrors rolled a 3 for pursuit.)

Turn 4: What the hell is going on?

The Keeper charges into the Chaos hounds, who pass their fear test, even on three dice. The Daemon Princess Flanks the General's Chaos Knights in an attempt to hold them in place until the Bloodletters can arrive. The Horrors charge the Shagoth again, and he obligingly runs another 9 inches, well out of the Horrors range. Magic sees the Keeper botch both Caress and Phantasmagoria, and the Warriors managed to dispel both flickering fires. The Herald missed all his shots at the Shaggoth, but the Flamers blasted the Warshrine into its component atoms. In CC, the Keeper chopped up all the remaining hounds, and overran into the Warriors. The Princess killed a Chaos Knight, and held in place, and the Warriors finished off the Flesh Hounds. The Sorcerer Lord, BSB, and remaining Chaos Knights charged the Horrors, and the Shaggoth rallied. The Chaos Warriors reformed to prepare a charge on the Bloodletters. The Sorcerer Lashes 1 Bloodletter, but no other magic succeeds. The Knights, and characters kill a lot of Horrors, and instability kills off even more, leaving only the Icon bearer in place, while on the other side, the Princess kills the Knight Champion, and again holds fast.

Turn 5: Nothing left but the crying.

The Bloodletters charge the General's Chaos Knights, and the Seekers charge in to assist the Keeper against the Warriors. The Keeper chose not to risk magic this late in the battle, so the only spell attempted was Flickering Fire by the Tzeentch Herald, which was easily dispelled. the Flamers unleash an immense volley against the Shaggoth, and when the smoke finally cleared, there was nothing left but a charred skull. CC was the most inetense phase of this turn, with the Keeper killing three Warriors, and the Seekers killing two more. The Warriors legged it, but were easily run down. The Herald of Khorne challenged the Mortal General, and with the re-roll, manages a killing blow. The Blood letters kill a Knight, the Daemon Prince Kills the last two, but the Sorcerer kills a Letter, and his horse gets another, however, the Sorcerer is compelled to run for the hills, and is run down, and trampled under the feet of the Bloodletters. The Warriors, had nothing left to do, so we called it there.

Final Score: Warriors 1150, Daemons 3078, extreme massacre to the Daemons.

After thoughts, well, turn two was definitely the decisive turn of this fight. With 8 Daemon units charging on turn two, and breaking all but two of the enemies, it just wasn't looking good. To top it all off, Chris' Warhounds refused to panic, or give in to fear or terror, and so blocked his ability to effectively counter charge. I am justifiably nervous about Chaos Knights, as if and when they get loose, they just mow through Daemonic units, but if you keep them contained, you can have the advantage. Thanks for reading.

Briohmar
25-03-2009, 13:11
Wow, after three weeks hiatus, I can finally resume. I did use the time to get some painting done, and I'll say right now, I hate (HATE! HATE! HATE!) the new plastic marauder horsemen. I say this not because I hate the figures themselves, or because I hated painting them, no, I hate them because their horses are so much cooler than anything else in the army at this moment. Now I am going to have to shop around and find at least two more sets of the horses to replace the crappy older horses my other units are mounted on. Just to top it all off, I had to finish the Marauder horse quickly, so off I set to speed paint (which to me means I took less than 4 hours per figure to complete, and I really wanted to spend more time on those horses,) because I had to finish a unit of Marauder Horse, a unit of 5 of the new plastic dogs, finish the remainder of my Daemon army and get them all based, and paint an additional 3 Daemonettes for the tournament coming up this Sunday. I am almost finished, just need some touch ups on the 'Nettes, and finish the bases, so I'll make the timetable. Having been fairly successful at this painting, I figured I could pop off to the club on Sunday and get a game in. Actually, I managed to get two. So on to the Batrep.

Dwarves With Anvil Vs Daemons of Slaanesh(ish)

Ripping through Ostland proved to be a fairly simple task, so some of the army elements turned off to find other opponents. The Daemons moved into the foothills of the Gray Mountains after hearing about a Dwarven mining colony. As the Daemonic host approached, the stunties began to rapidly deploy the few meager forces they had on the surface, but all this was done under the watchful eye of a Runelord sitting atop an Anvil of doom.

The lists

The Daemonic list hasn't changed as thus far, it seems to perform just as I want it to, so:
Keeper of Secrets, Lvl 4, Siren Song, Ether Blade

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1

Herald of Tzeentch, Lvl 2, Flames, Dispel

11 Daemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

12 Daemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

5 Furies

5 Flesh Hounds

2 Fiends

The Dwarves:
This list is very unusual for Lionel. He normally plays a more combat oriented list, complete with Oathstone equipped Iron Breakers, and Organ guns. This list was kind of new to me, as I had no idea how things were going to play out.

Runelord, Anvil, 2 Dispel Runes, other stuff, but I forgot.

Thane, Great Weapon, MR 2, Gomril Armor

Thane, some runic stuff, Great Weapon.

20 Clan Warriors, Musician and Banner

12 Thunderers

12 Thunderers

Bolt Thrower, Rune of Sharpness

Bolt Thrower, Engineer

14 Miners, Full Command

14 Miners, Full Command, Great Weapons

2 Gyrocopters.

The Battlefield was set up a little differently than normal, with a couple of ruined buildings (we'll call them the mine shaft openings,) a defensive position on the other edge of the Dwarf deployment zone, a couple of small woods, and a ruin in the center, but on the dwarven side of the table. The terrain as it was set could be a help or a hinderance to either force.

The Dwarves deployed from left to right, Bolt Thrower with Rune inside the first mine shaft, 12 Thunderers with a Gyro Copter behind them againts the wall of the second shaft opening, 20 Clan Warriors on the other side of the second shaft opening, the Anvil was behind the Warriors, 12 more Thunderers, and the other bolt thrower set against the side of the defensive emplacement. Both Miners and both Thanes were deep below the earth's surface.

The Daemons deployed with the Seekers on the far right flank, then the Daemonettes with Herald, the Fiends, the Keeper in the center, then the other 'Nettes, the Horrors with Herald, the Furies, and finally the Flesh Hounds.

By some remarkable trick of fate, even with the plus one for the Dwarves, the Daemons got the first turn.

Turn 1

All of the Daemons moved forward, though some chose not to move their full speed, thus maintaining some form of battle line, and presenting the Dwarves with an abundance of targets for shooting. The Keeper felt for the winds of magic, but they were flowing very weak this day, and she failed to cast Phantasmagoria Yep, once again this spell proves to be my nemesis. With only 4 dice plus one from the pool, I try to get it off on three dice, and fail nearly every time, or I do manage to cast it, but it gets dispelled. The Herald and Horrors both unleashed with Flickering Fire, and managed to score a grand total of 3 S2 hits, neither of which wounded a Thunderer. The Slaanesh Herald went for Slicing Shards, but it was easily dispelled. Finally, the Keeper managed to cast Acquiessence on one of the Gyro Copters, big Whoop, Stupid on Ld 9. The Dwarven response was predictable, the Warriors, repositioned a bit, and everyone else opened fire. Obviously, the copters moved to safe places before doing so however. The end result is that the Engineer's Bolt Thrower managed to cause a single wound on the Keeper, the two copters caused some of the Daemonettes' and Seekers' hair to frizz, and one Daemonette from one unit, and two from the other died to gunfire. The Runelord managed to kill of a single Fury, and they were grounded as well. Without a doubt the worst shooting round I have ever seen from a Dwarf line. I didn't even have to make many saves, though I only managed to save 1 out of 5 rolls. To make it worse, the bolt Thrower that hit the Keeper managed only cause a single wound.

Turn 2
The Seekers invoked the Siren Standard and charged into the ThunderersThe Fiends and Daemonettes attempted to charge the Thunderers who voluntarily fled. No other charges were possible however. The highlight of the magic phase was that the Herald of Tzeentched managed to miscast Flickering Fire on 2 dice, allowing the Dwarves to cast one of their own spells :wtf: Close combat saw three Thunderers and one Seeker die, and combat continuing. The Thunderers managed to rally (like that wasn't going to happen.) The Keeper used Siren on the Gyro Copter who elected to flee instead of charge, but who fled just far enough to land amidst the Horrors, who smashed him to pieces, and flayed his soul. The Bolt Throwers opened up, and the first one, after taking careful aim, failed to pierce the hide of the Keeper, the second one launched its missile straight up into the air, and it has yet to land (boy did they ever miss.) The remaining Copter gave the Herald and Daemonettes a pleasantly warm shower, which they thanked him for by blowing kisses his way (just about as effective and deadly.) The Anvil failed to wound the Keeper, but it did cut her movement in half. Combat saw the Seekers kill two more dwarves, but lose another of their own, the fight would continue.

Briohmar
25-03-2009, 13:40
Turn 3

Figuring it was safer to be in combat, the Keeper charged the Clan Warriors. The Daemonettes charged the Thunderers again, who had to hold this time, and the furies charged the Bolt Thrower. Magic was again a dismal failure, but combat was showing promise. The Keeper killed 4 Dwarves, but lost by one, which he easily made the test on. The Daemonettes killed a couple of thunderers, losing one in return, but the Dwarves held. The Seekers finally chased of their Thunderers, and ran them to ground. The Furies and Bolt Thrower crew failed to dent each other. At this time, the ground burst beneath the feet of the Daemons as both units of Miners emerged. The Runelord thumped the Anvil to bring his people into the fray, but the Miners discovered that Horrors were actually kind of frightening. (One of the few times I've ever seen a Dwarf fail a fear test, whoo hoo!) The Gyro finally managed to steampress a single Daemonette, and the Bolt Thrower crew missed the Daemonettes again, point blank range. Close combat saw the Thunderers waver, but hold, the Clan warriors lost to the Keeper, but also held, and the bolt Thrower crew killed off a Fury, but the fight would continue.

Turn 4

The Fiends slammed into the Clan Warriors flank, and the Hounds hit the Miners in the flank as well. The Horrors reformed to face the Miners bearing down on them. The 'Nettes and Seekers played a little cat and mouse with the other Bolt Thrower. Magic saw the Keeper miscast Phantasmagoria, allowing the Dwarves to cast yet another spell. The Horrors discovered, much to their dismay, that the Thane had a rune of Magic Resistance, and their attacks fizzled out easily. The Fiends were enough to break the Warriors, who ran just as fast as their short little legs could carryu them, but sadly, the Fiends easily outdistanced them. The 'Nettes finished off the Thunderers and and pursued into the Miners. Even still, the miners held on. The Bolt Thrower crew finally defeated the Furies. The Miners were just out of charge range, but the Anvil saw to that easily enough. The Bolt Thrower lined up the Keeper in its sights and whiffed. Meanwhile, the other bolt thrower and Gyro fired everything they had at the Seekers, and still failed to wound. (Its about time I strated making some ward saves. Anyone who whines about the 5+ ward has obviously never seen me play.) The Hounds and 'Nettes wiped out the Miners, almost to a man, and pursued them towards the Anvil (actually the 'Nettes didn't pursue, but the Hounds did.) The other Miners chopped up several horrors, but the Thane failed to wound the Herald.

Briohmar
25-03-2009, 15:54
Turn 5

The Seekers and Daemonettes charged the Bolt Thrower, the Fiends continued on back towards their own deployment zone, and the Keeper moved closer to the remaining Bolt Thrower. The Hounds held themselves in a threatening posture against the Anvil. Magic was again a non-entity, with the only spell getting through being Gift of Chaos on ireesistible force, but the net effect was that the Miners got really angry, and killed more Horrors. By the end of the combat phase, the Tzeentch unit was reduced to a 1 wound Herald. The Seekers and 'Nettes slaughtered the bolt Thrower crew. The Dwarves responded with all they had left, the Runelord struck the anvil for all he was worth, but hit his thumb instead of a rune. The Bolt Thrower, now sensing very real danger from the Keeper missed (on a 2+ to hit.) The Thane managed to kill off the Herald of Tzeentch however, and the Miners found themselves all alone, a long way from the main battle.

Turn 6

The Keeper charged and killed the Bolt Thrower Crew, The Gyro failed to wound the Seekers yet again. The Hounds thought better of charging the Anvil, but the anvil managed to kill a single dog.

The end of the battle left the Dwqarves devastated, and the few Miners who managed to be away from the destruction fled to the nearest clanhold to report the defeat.

Final result: Solid Victory to the Daemons.

I was really expecting a lot more out of Lionel's Dwarves than I got this time. Normally when we play the result is a bloodbath, and a close finish, but this list was definitely not the best choice to face fast Daemons.

Cheers for your time.

Malorian
25-03-2009, 16:15
I deleted my message to keep your report together.

Those dwarfs just could do anything with their shooting. The only thing that saved them was your equally bad magic phase.

I think his biggest downfall was the miners. Against a fast opponent he was lucky they both came in right away, and even then it was too late. Had those been regular warriors to guard his line they would have done much better.

Like your list and glad it did well.

Briohmar
26-03-2009, 11:10
I agree with all of your points Mal. As I said, he normally uses Iron Breakers and more warriors, which would have made a lot of difference in this battle. His shooting was truly off, and in a way, I'm greatful for it because of my inability to make a single ward save through most of the game. It wasn't so much rolling to hit that was hurting his shooting, but he botched bucketloads of wounding dice. He hit the Keeper 4 times with the Bolt Thrower, and caused a single wound.

Briohmar
26-03-2009, 16:14
So, the second game of the day came about because Christopher was still busy getting slaughtered by a magic heavy Orc and Goblin Gunline (I am not kidding on this one. The core units were Night Gobs with bows, Arrer boyz, and wolf riders with bows. The specials were 2 bolt throwers, a lobba, and 8 squig hoppers, and the rare was a doom diver. the characters were a Shaman Lord, and 3 Shamans. but I digress.) So at any rate, as I was waiting for Chris to get done, one of the newer guys challenged me to a quick 1500 point game against his Tomb Kings.

Though the main effort was still Ostland, several elements of the army were dispatched on special missions. One small Daemonic force was ordered to find an artifact believed to be located in the northernmost Nehekaran outpost, just on the edge of the Ogre lands. Two Slaaneshi Heralds were tasked with the recovery mission, and they and their force popped into existance just outside of the ancient outpost. As they advanced, the Ancient Nehekarans rose from their tombs, and arrayed themselves to defend their treasures, just as they had in life.

The Forces:

Tomb Kings:

Tomb Prince, armor of some sort, and a magic weapon

Hierophant, Casket of souls

Priest, Some rot of magic item

15 Archers

15 Archers

15 Archers

15 Tomb Guard with Banner of the undying legion (or whatever its called)

3 Ushabti

1 Scorpion

The Daemons:

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1, Ether Blade

Herald of Slaanesh, BSB, Steed of Slaanesh, Banner of Despair

15 Daemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

12 Daemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

12 Horrors, Icon of Sorcery

6 Furies

5 Flaesh Hounds

2 Fiends

Pre-game thoughts: Well, this is truly a pick up game. I don't know why he wanted to take me on, but I'll give it a go. Tomb Kings really aren't the army to face daemons with, and this one lacked most of the good stuff such as Chariots, Horsemen, and such. I should have no problem taking out the Casket and the Archers, and if I can get the Hounds over to the Ushabti, they stand a reasonable chance. Avoiding the Prince in the Tomb Guard is top priority.

If the terrain looks similar, we played on the same table, he won the roll for sides, and picked the side the Dwarves had for last game.

The Tomb Kings dployed with Archers followed by the Priest, the Tomb Guard and Prince, The Casket of Souls, more Archers, still more archers, and finally the Ushabti.

The Daemons arrayed: Horrors slightly behind the Flesh Hounds, the Fiends, the General's 'Nettes, the other 'Nettes, the Furies, and the Seekers with BSB.

Turn 1

The Daemons won the roll to go first, and came on like a flock of bats out of hell, though not without design or purpose. The Herald cast Slicing shards against a unit of archers, but it was dispelled, so the Horrors cast flickering fire, killing two archers. The Tomb King response was slow and deliberate, the Prince and his guard advanced, while everyone else prepared to fire. The prince cast urgency on his guards, but it was dispelled, the Hierophant also tried Urgency, but was also dispelled, which left the Priest casting shooting on his archers, who unleashed on the Flesh Hounds killing 1 outright. Then the casket killed 1 Daemonette from the General's unit, one from the other unit, and 1 Fury. Shooting saw the Archers kill another Flesh Hound, the second group killed one Fury, and the third group killing 3 (count them THREE!) Seekers. This was amazing! in one turn of shooting, a bunch of skeletal archers caused more damage than a dwarven army did in a whole game.

Turn 2
Once again, it was safer for the Daemons to be locked in combat (how ironic, kind of like why I joined the army: it was safer being in the Army than a white kid in East Los Angeles.) Thus saying, the Hounds and Fiends Charged the Tomb Prince front and flank (so much for that battle plan,) The [remaining] Seekers and Herald charged the Archers, the Furies charged the Casket, and the 'Nettes in the center charged their group of archers. Magic was a wash, but this force really wasn't meant to do magic very well anyways. Combat saw several archers from each group, and three Tomb guard killed respectively, but all of the combats would continue. The Prince did kill a Fiend however. The Furies, somehow managed to kill both of the Casket Guardians, and win combat by three, reducing the Hierophant to a pile of dust and bone fragments. The Tomb kings response was to crumble, alot. The Scorpion came up, and charged the rear of the Daemonettes, who saw their opponents to the front crumble away (8 wounds), the Seekers also had their enemy vanish before their eyes (7 wounds, thanks to the Icon of Despair) but the Tomb Guard, Ushabti, and remaining archers were all fine. Magic saw the Prince cast attack spell, but it was dispelled, the Priest tried to get the Archers to shoot, but it was also dispelled, and the Banner brought three Tomb guards back, only to be killed again in the following CC. The Scorpion killed two 'Nettes, but took a wound for its trouble, and a second wound to CR. The Prince killed the remaining Fiend, but lost combat again. The Scorpion killed two more 'Nettes, and took another wound, but not enough to lose its last one to CR.

Out of time tonight, I'll finish up tomorrow, though you can probably guess the outcome at this point.

Briohmar
27-03-2009, 12:17
Turn 3

The Horrors decided to charge the few remaining Archers, especially since these guys were so devastating. The Seekers, Furies and General's 'Nettes all moved to better position themselves to help out in the fights. Magic didn't go anyywhere since neither spell would have done any good. The CC resulted in another win for the Flesh Hounds, but not by much, however, the Tomb Guard numbers were dwindling. The Horrors managed to kill a couple of Archers, and won their fight by 4. The Scorpion again killed 2 'Nettes, and this time combat was a draw. The leaders of the skeletal forces managed to hold there constructs together for another go, but none of their magic was successful. The Horrors again won combat, but not by much, and the Daemonettes, after losing only 1 of their number won their fight again, but not by enough to remove the Scorpion's final wound.

Turn 4

The General led a charge against the Scorpion's flank, determined to get rid of it before the few remaining 'nettes from the other unit vanished. The furies decided that they didn't want to do anything else, and headed back out towards the town outskirts, while the Seekers moved to assist the Hounds. The Scorpion was crushed in the charge, but the Herald thought better of moving too close to the Ushabti. The horrors won their fight by 2 more, leaving just 2 Skeleton Archers to their front. The Ushabti moved closer to the Daemonettes in the center. Again, The Prince and Priest were unable to make things magical happen, though all of the remaining units passed their crumble tests. The Horrors finished off the remaining Archers, which left them in line to charge the Priest, who had tried to back away from the fight.

Turn 5

The General and her 'Nettes made a determined effort to march out of Ushabti charge range, and were barely successful. The other 'Nettes moved towards the center of the outpost to recover the artifact. The Horrors charged down the Liche Priest, quite easily, and wiped him out. Meanwhile, the Flesh Hounds reduced the remaining Tomb Guard to bone dust, leaving only the Prince remaining.

The end of the Battle

The General and her troops continued to move away from the Ushabti, who finally took a wound from crumbling. The BSB charged out of her Seeker escorts to kill the Prince, while the seekers moved to assist the 'Nettes in artifact recovery. This left only the Ushabti, with no controlling influence to slowly crumble to dust. The Daemons recovered their artifact, and returned to the Aether to rejoin the main force far to the North.

Post Game Thoughts: Well, this fight certainly didn't go according to my initial plan, but was very successful none the less. This was potentially the weakest Tomb King force I have ever faced, and I was able to utterly destroy it, with very few losses (the 2 Fiends, half strength Daemonettes, half strength Seekers.) Some games you actually feel bad about winning, and this was one of them, but it did give me a chance to see how the 1500 point tournament list would play. I am hoping it can do as well this Sunday, especially working in conjunction with Christopher's (my) Warriors. I am not thrilled with only two level 1 casters, as this seriously limits my ability to do anything in the magic phase, but the rules for the tournie specified only three total casters, and since Chris will have a Lvl 2 Sorcerer, I chose to keep mine down. Final score by the way, was 1600 or so for the Daemons, and 300 or so for the Tomb Kings, Massacre to the Daemons.

Briohmar
30-03-2009, 10:01
So the results from yesterday's tournament were pretty predictable. I took the painting award, though it was unspecified if it was for the Daemons or the Warriors. Both armies got ogled all day, though still no one would approach me about painting any units for them. Pity.

Game 1 was against the Skaven and Warriors of Chaos (Khorne.) This is a good example of be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. I was lamenting just last week that I hadn't faced a rat horde since leaving California almost 5 years ago, and voila, a rat horde unpacked across the table from me in the hands of a veteran gamer, and the Warriors of Khorne under the command of his new protege. To make this long story short, we were obliterated. Not a single model left on the table. There is no excuse to be made for the loss, just that a rat horde supported by three units of Khorne Knights was just more than our fragile armies could take. Neither of us was able to make a single save that game, Chris lost all of his knights, not to close combat but to shooting and lightning, while my frail Daemonettes got run over by frenzied plague monks. The armies against us were 3 Engineers with full kit, 3 units of Clanrats with Ratling Guns, 2 Units of Plague Monks, (each of these 5 units was 30 strong) 10 Jezzails, 2 Exalted Heroes of Khorne, one on steed and one on Jugger, 3 units of 5 Khorne Knights, 3 Units of Marauder Horse, and 20 Marauders with lt armor and shield.

Game two was against High Elves and Bretonnians. The High elf list had a Dragon Mage, a Commander, 10 Archers, (well he needed his minimum of 1 core, didn't he,) 5 Dragon Princes, 3 Tiranoc Chariots, 2 Lion Chariots, and a Bolt Thrower, and Paladin, BSB, and Damsel with 5 KotR, 10 Skirmishing Archers, 8 Questing Knights, 8 Grail Knights, and 4 Peg Knights. We did better against this force, but again things just didn't go according to plan. with a 6- Ld test to charge, my BSB and Seekers got zapped front and flank by Tiranoc Chariots, who after my weathering the impacts, proceeded to get better rolls than me for the ASF of equal In battle that followed. His Character was in one of the Chariots, and challenged, so In 7 vs In 7, then the chariot crews In 5 Vs my Seeker In 5
On the other side, my Flesh Hounds died en masse to, of all things, Dragon Breath. To be fair, we wiped the floor with his Knight, reducing the Grails to 1, killing the Damsel, reducing the KotR to one plus a wound on the Paladin, reducing the Questers to 1 plus the BSB, eradicating both units of archers, destroying 3 of the five Chariots, and killing half the Peg Knights and all the Dragon Princes. However, we lost all the Flesh Hounds, all the Seekers, the BSB, one unit of Knights, The Sorcerer, the Marauders, two units of Marauder Horse, with the 3rd reduced to half strength, all the Horrors, half the big unit of 'Nettes, and all but three of the Chaos Hounds. End result, Minor loss to us, which when I think about it, might not be correct, but there it is. Basically, these guys tried to cheat the whole game, and Chris saw it and commented to me more than once. It didn't help that they stopped the game at turn 4 (time) when we were in position to finish off the Pegs, the Grails, the Questers, and the bolt thrower. But, C'est la Guerre.

After the second game, I was out having a smoke, and Chris kept commenting on how bad those guys were cheating, plus he wanted to know why we were losing so bad, when we weren't really making any mistakes. I responded that I made the lists to be fun and fluffy, and to look good on the table, instead of these other guys who bought the best and toughest models, assembled them, and if we're lucky, sprayed them with primer. (That is correct, there is no requirement in Belgium for an army to be painted to play in most tournaments.) To which Chris responded that next time we need to take the hard armies, instead of the Fluffy kind.

So the final game was against an Empire and Orc Alliance. (OK, this one seemed a little off to me too. But we had already lost two games, so how better to finsh out than by massacreing the only other players in the tournament with proper, balanced lists.) This was by far the funnest of the three games. The Orc player had a Big Boss on Boar, an Orc Shaman, 2 units of 20 Boys, 20 Night Goblins with 3 fanatics, a wolf chariot, a boar chariot, 10 Black Orcs, 3 Trolls, and 10 wolf riders. The Empire player had a block of swordsmen, a block of spearmen, a block of Free Company, two units of Knights, a Priest and a mage, 10 Flagellents, and a hell blaster. Chris' hounds sprung the three fanatics on turn one, and they spun through the middle of the table for the three turns we actually could play (again lack of time) so the Warriors were pretty much held up, meanwhile, the majority of my daemons swarmed down the left flank, wiping out the wolf riders, both blocks of boys, the Black Orcs, and the Boar Chariot, while on the right flank my seekers chased the wolf chariot off the table, and flank obliterated the 10 flagellents. At the calling of the game we had killed 1300 points, possessed three quarters, challenged the fourth quarter, and held 4 captured banners, against a grand total of 85 points of damage sustained (half the Fiends, and 5 hounds.) Massacre win.

Briohmar
07-04-2009, 09:44
This week's Batrep comes from Sunday at the club. We played a warm-up game for next week's partners tournament. Unfortunately, my partner was not present, so I played both lists on the Chaos side.

The combined forces were marching deeper into Ostland, and were preparing to lay siege to the capital, but all of the forces had broken apart into independent raiding bands, with orders so sow chaos and mayhem, then converge on the city for the siege.

Not surprisingly, other raiders were taking advantage of the invasion to carve out their own little piece of the pie. Not least among these was the Vampire lord Lionel Hellin. Hellin sent one of his minions out to attack a rather quaint village, but the Vampire encountered a group of reinforcements sent to assist the Empire. The band of Lizardmen was the vanguard for a larger force moving up from the south.

As the Lizards and undead began to array for battle, two chaos warbands converged on them, one mortal, and one daemonic. The vampire, realizing he was in deep kimchee, hastily proposed an alliance with the skink chieftain, who accepted.

The Lists:

Lizardmen:

Skink Champion on Ancient Stegadon, with the nasty spear of 2D6+1 impact hits

Skink Priest, Lore of Heaven, 2 dispel scrolls.

12 Skink Skirmishers, Javelins

10 Skink Skirmishers, Blow Guns

2 Salamanders

5 Teradons

The Vampires:

Vampire, Lvl 2, dispel scroll, barded steed, magical armor of some sort

20 Zombies

20 Zombies

5 Dire Wolves

5 Dire Wolves

9 Black Knights, barded steeds, Banner

Black Coach

Warriors of Chaos:

Exalted Hero, Sword of Might, Shield, Barded Steed, MoS

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Co-joined Homonculous, Power Familiar, Dispel scroll

19 Marauders, full command, MoS, flails

5 Marauder Horse, flails, musician, MoS

5 Hounds

5 Hounds

5 Knights, Full Command, Rapturous Standard, MoS

Daemons of Chaos:

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1

Herald of Slaanesh, BSB, Etherblade, Icon of Despair, Steed of Slaanesh

11 Daemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

12 Horrors, Icon of Sorcery

2 Fiends

Set Up:

The battlefield was littered with small rock formations which could break up a charge, and potentially block line of sight. there were also two small wooded patches.

The Lizards and Undead arrayed, from left to right, Black Coach, wolves, Blow gun skinks behind them, Black Knights with Vampire, Ancient Stegadon, Salamanders, Javelin Skinks, Zombies, Zombies, Teradons, wolves, and the Skink Priest was sulking by a big rock somewhere behind the Stegadon.

The combined forces of chaos lined up: Seekers with BSB, Dogs, Dogs, Knights and Exalted behind the dogs (this was later to be identified as a poor choice,) Forest, Marauders, Horrors, Daemonettes with Herald, both units of Marauder Horse, and the Fiends on the extreme right.

Chaos won the roll to go first, but graciously allowed the Lizards and Vamps to proceed.

The Cunning Plan: OK, I really was unsure of how this was going to play out, especially since I had to deploy both a mortal and Daemon unit each time, and then the Lizards and Vamps each deployed as well. It appeared to me that my left flank was where the game would be made or broken, and fortunately, I had the two hardest hitting units located there. In the center, the infantry would advance slowly since there was no real shooting to fear, at least initially, and the troops would all benefit from a little bit of mutual support, and magical superiority (not dominant, but superior.) The three fast units on the right should be able to take out the dogs and teradons, and then gang up on the few Zombies, inorder to dominate the entire right side.

Briohmar
07-04-2009, 11:34
Turn 1:

The combined Lizard/Vamp forces moved forward, with the Teradons moving off to the right to assist the wolves. the Zombies all shambled forward cery slowly, and the Black Knights, Coach, and Ancient Steg advanced almost on line. This was where the battle would be won or lost, they felt. The Skink Priest and Vamp also tested the winds of magic, and found them to be seriously lacking. OK, the entire game was punctated by a distinctive lack of magical success. I will not waste the electrons saying magic was uneventful, etc, and only mention magic when something actually happens. The forces of Chaos responded forcefully. The Seekers and Herald charged the Vampire and Black Knights. (This was a risky endeavor, as there was one Seekers hanging off the side, exposed to a potential charge from the Coach. If, however, the Seekers suffered a casualty, they would be safe.) One unit of Dogs moved forward to defend the flank of the Seekers, while the other was supposed to charge the Wolves. The Wolves, however, had a funny scent, and the Hounds stayed put. (During the set-up, I mentioned that putting the Knights behind the hounds may have been a mistake, and this was definitely why.) The infantry advanced in the center, and the Fiends and Marauder Horse moved down the Right Flank to get into position to roll up the flank. The Chaos Sorcerer was feeling saucy, and cast Hysterical Frenzy on the Chaos Hounds so that they wouldn't run in terror from the big lizard. The Herald challenged the Vampire, and caused a wound, with no wounds in return. The Seekers wiped out two Black Knights, but took a wound in return (thank the four powers,) and another Black Knight crumbled to dust.

Turn 2

The Wolves on the left moved forward to draw the Chaos Knights out into the open. The Steg charged the frenzied hounds, who were crushed under its giant feet. The Terradons flew over the Fiends and dropped rocks on them, causing a single wound. The Skinks in the central rock formation backed off a bit, worried that Flickering Fire would do them in, or a Daemonette charge would run them down. The zombies again shuffled forward, while the other wolves reformed to face the Fiends. The combat between the Black Knights and Seekers was undecided, nobody wounded anybody, and the Undead had the numbers, but the Seekers had the Banners. Chaos goes forth to conquer. OK, that may be a little premature. The Hounds who had previously failed their fear test, now failed their terror test, and ran for the hills. The Chaos Knights, eager to kill something charged the Wolves, and ran right through them. The Herald and 'Nettes rushed into the waiting arms of the Zombies, and the Fiends went into the other Wolves. Since he was the only mage on the field of battle capable of casting a spell, the Sorcerer unleashed the Frenzy again, this time on the Salamanders. Close combat saw the Herald of Slaanesh finish off the Vampire, and the Seekers killed two more Black Knights, while losing one in return, and three more Knights crumbled away. The 'Nettes and Herald chopped up 8 zombies, and a bunch more fell as well, and the Fiends went through the Wolves like a hot knife through butter. This was my next tactical faux pas of the game, I chose to over-run, and due to an odd twist of the dice, landed directly in between the Marauder Horse and the Zombies. two inches either way would have left me golden.

Turn 3

The now frenzied Salamanders rushed forward to try to eat some marauders, who for whatever reason, opted to flee. The now rapidly crumbling Zombies stumbled into the flank of the Fiends and the Terradons flew into the flank of the Horsemen. Yet more tactical blunders. I don't know why I opted to flee with the Marauders at this point, other than they were now frenzied, and that would be a lot of attacks on my unarmored Marauders, however, I will say, I was not thinking 7th ed. Or I would have chosen to hold and end the spell right then. I also chose to hold against the Teradons, as I didn't think there would be enough room for them to land, thus forcing a failed charge. It truns out there was exactly 41mm of space between my horseman and the rock, and that was enough. The Black Coach and Stegadon lined up to face the Chaos Knights as they re-emerged onto the battlefield, but the Coach was a little further back, so there was a chance that the Knights could survive. The final Black knight fell apart before the eyes of the Seekers, and more zombies returned to the Earth against the 'Nettes. CC saw the Teradons wound a Marauder horseman, but the unit held. The Skinks with Javelins killed three Marauder Horsemen as well. The Zombies wounded the Fiend, but lost three of their own. Tragically, this was enough to take one of the Fiends back to the warp. For whatever reason, the Marauders continued to run, dragging the Sorcerer with them, and the Hounds fled from the battlefield. OK, this was a little too much bad luck, I can understand the Hounds not rallying, but the other unit needed a 9- and still failed. Well, they still had another shot at it, right? The Chaos Knights came back onto the field ready for a brawl. Fortunately, they had just enough distance to make it out of the Black Coach's line of sight, thus they would only have to face the Steg. The Seekers charged the Skinks, and the now depleted Marauder Horsemen spurred into the Javelin Skinks. The Terradons took a wound, but were still able to chase off the Marauder Horsemen. The "Nettes cut down more Zombies, but still had a few to go, and against all odds, the Fiend only killed one Zombie, and was wounded in return, taking yet another wound from Instability, Ouch! The Seekers and Herald chopped up a couple of Skinks, but lost another of their sisters to the riposte, but the Skiinks held on. They were now down to two standards, and nobody else. the Marauder horse however, killed three skinks with no return damage (and yes, that was one skink to flails, two to horses.) These skinks also held.

Normally, when I take my mid-game smoke break, you can tell who is going to win, but this time, the game is really hanging in the balance. What do you think is going to happen now? (Especially you Malorian.)

Malorian
07-04-2009, 13:51
Lol, well first of all with the vampire general dead did you remember to roll for crumbling? (It's not stated and those zombies should be disappearing like crazy because of it.)

Anyway assuming the black coach doesn't crumble away it looks like the vamp/LM pair is about to do a lot of hurt if it and the steg are in range for charges.

In the end though the forces of chaos should have the win.

Briohmar
07-04-2009, 14:33
Well, no takers on the bet. I even took an extended break because I had to go to the induction ceremony for the two new NATO members. On with the report then.

Turn 4

With a wave of his mighty spear, The Skink Chief slammed his Stegadon into the Chaos Knights while the Teradons and Salamanders sandwiched the Horrors. At this point, everyone except the Black Coach was either fighting or fleeing (stupid Marauders.) The Exalted Hero Challenged the Skink Chieftain and slaughtered him without a wound in return (3 wounds total) while the Knights suffered three losses to impact hits. I removed three Knights, not paying attention, and found that I had removed the champion instead of the Musician, but due to that rather careless mistake, the Knights won the combat by one, however, the Steg stood resolute. The Seeker and Herald chopped down another 5 Skinks, and ran the few remaining into the dirt. Likewise, the Marauder Horse killed three more Skinks (again one to the riders, two to the horses) and ran them down as well. The Herald and 'Nettes chopped up the few remaining Zombies, the Teradons and Sallies killed two Horrors, but lost a Teradon, thus the Horrors lost combat, but a low roll ensured their continued existence. Meanwhile, the remaining Fiend killed two Zombies, but rather amazingly, lost his last wound to a lucky Zombie hit. By the way, the Zombies did crumble some more at the start of the turn. Chaos started its phase by watching the Sorcerer and Marauders run off the field of battle, and the Marauder Horsemen were close behind, but still had one more chance to rally. The Herald and 'Nettes reformed to lend their assistance to the embattled Horrors, and the Seekers and Morauder Horsemen began a game of cat and mouse in the forest with the Skink Priest. The Chaos Knights killed all four of the Skinks on the Steggy, but the monster unleashed on the Exalted Hero, killing him outright, even after he had gained. . . Magic Resistance +3 from the Eye of the Gods. The Steg made his monster reaction roll, and held again thanks to being stubborn. The Horrors killed another Terradon, but lost three more of their numbers, they were dwindling fast.

Turn 5

The Black Coach moved towards the fight in the center, and the Skink Priest moved out of charge arc from either fast cav unit. For the first time in the Game, the Skink Priest managed to get a spell off, specifically, IF Uranon's Thunderbolt, killing the final Seeker. The Chaos Knights caused two wounds on the Steg, and took none in return, and again the beast wouldn't budge. Meanwhile, The remaining five Horrors killed another Teradon, giving them the win (because they could no longer claim the rear bonus), and they now outnumbered the Teradons, who fled, and the Salamanders fled as well, with the Horrors in cold pursuit (yep, they rolled snake eyes for their pursuit roll.) The Horrors continued, rather stupidly, to chase the Salamanders, who were just too fast for them. Meanwhile, the Marauder horsemen, finally realizing there was no one near them, decided to rally, scant inches from the edge of the field. The Daemonettes re-formed to face the now fleeing Teradons, and just for good measure, the Herald hit them with Slicing Shards, wounding one of them, but naturally, the spell ended immediately after, without killing one off. The Marauder Horse and Herald on Steed continued to try to catch the slippery little Skink Priest I remember as a boy chasing lizards on the hillside, I swear trying to get this little bugger to stand still was more dificult than catching a real skink in the wild.

Turn 6 and beyond

The Teradons and Salamanders rallied (imagine that. I hate the cold-blooded rule, I really do:( ) The Zombies crumbled down to one last guywho backed up to make sure he couldn't get hit. The Black Coach rammed the Horrors, killing off all but the Banner, who naturally poofed out of existence. and the Coach over-ran, but not far enough. The Knights finally beat the Stegadon bad enough that he chose to wander off (a 5 on his flee roll) and they ran him down. And the skink priest slipped through the grasp of the horsemen and Herald yet again. The Marauder horse and Daemonettes moved to secure table quarters, and thus the battle ended.

After totalling everything up, the combined forces of Chaos pulled off a minor victory.

OK, as you can probably tell, not everything went according to plans this game. I had a blast playing it, but it sometimes is just funny watching things that shouldn't happen, happen. Some of the memorable moments of the game will have to be the Skink priest running just out of line of sight for three full turns, the Horrors, looking like their going to get slaughtered, pulling off the win, only to get flattened by the oncoming Black Coach, and the Frenzied puppies holding ground as the Stagadon steam rolled them. Not to mention the amount of rally tests I failed on 8s or 9s.

Malorian
07-04-2009, 14:37
Well, no takers on the bet. I even took an extended break because I had to go to the induction ceremony for the two new NATO members. On with the report then.

Did you miss my post? :cries:

Anyway, after reading the rest I am now 100% sure the vampire player wasn't rolling for crumbling at the start of each turn (and the end of the phase he died). If he had those zombies would have been gone a LOT sooner and even the coach might have popped.

Something to remember for next time I guess :)

Briohmar
07-04-2009, 14:41
Actually, I was writing while you made your post, so it was true after a fashion that there were no takers. Actually, he did roll his crumble tests, he just rolled a lot of incredibly low numbers. No fails at all for the Coach, and each turn the few Zombies got fewer, but in the end, one still remained.

Malorian
07-04-2009, 14:44
Really? Aren't zombies Ld 2 or 3? But I guess if you roll low you roll low...

Well good report and hopefully you do well in the tournament.

Briohmar
14-04-2009, 19:02
Well, the tournament has come and gone, and, as usual it seems, I lost 2 of 3 games. My son was in Germany with his Grandparents, so was unable to be my partner for this one. The organizer (Lionel) hooked me up with another player from France, who was playing Warriors. He had a Sorcerer of Nurgle with Power Familiar, an Exalted of Khore on Jugger, 5 Nurgle Knights with full command, 5 Nurgle Horsemen (also with full command,) 20 Nurgle Marauders (also with full command.)

The first game was against Andre and my friend with the STank. Andre had two sorcerers on Chariots, 2 units of 5 Horsemen, and a Slaanesh Giant. The Empire Player had a Lvl 2 Mage, two units of 5 Knights, 5 Outriders, 2 Cannons and the Tank. I had the right flank, while my opponent had the left. I collapsed the (very weak) right flank and moved to assist in the center while my partner stayed out of combat. I took out a cannon, a unit of knights, 5 horsmen, the mage and the Outriders. The Tank charged my Daemonettes, who held it for most of the game, but were finally destroyed, and at the end of the game had my Horrors challenging the Tank for a table quarter, and my fiends challenging the knights for a table quarter. My partner had zip, but did manage to kill the other unit of Empire Knights. End result, because of three capture chaos banners, and a general lack of Chaos agressiveness, we lost bad.

The second game was against High elves and Warriors. The HE player had 10 Archers, 5 Shadow Warriors, 5 Dragon Princes, 10 Swordmasters, a Bolt Thrower, a Mage, and a Noble. The Chaos player had a Tzeentch Exalted on Disk, a Tzeentch Sorcerer, 5 Slaanesh Horsemen with Musician, 5 Hounds, 12 Warriors, 10 Marauders of Slaanesh with Flails, and 5 Knights. I tabled all the elves but the Swordmasters with noble, The Marauders with Flails, and the Marauder Horsemen, but again, my Warrior ally suffered from a lack of proper Chaos behavior, and lost everything, giving up all three banners. This game I only gave up the 2 Fiends who wiped out the Marauder horsemen, but had to pursue into the Swordmasters and Noble, the Furies, and half points for the Seekers. End result minor loss.

Final game was against a Dwarf Gunline, paired with mostly Khorne Daemons. The Dwarf had a master engineer, two units of 10 Thunderers, 2 runed up Cannons and a runed up Bolt Thrower, each with an Engineer, and a Gyrocopter. The Daemon player had 2 units of 10 Bloodletters, two Heralds of Khorne on Juggers, and 5 Flamers. On Turn one I managed to make the Gyrocopter Stupid, and it spent the majority of the game wandering around the battlefield (at least when it wasn't fleeing.) The Dwarf player had some really awful rolls, and the copter wasn't even under the influence of my Icon of Despair, he just failed three stupidity tests and two fear tests, but he did finally manage to regain control on turn 6, and was the only Dwarf left alive. For my part, I went with all of the fast stuff on the left flank, and did the Light Brigade thing. His turn one, one Cannon overshot my Daemonettes, the other failed to wound the Exalted of Khorne, and the Bolt Thrower missed a flank shot on my Horrors. The Flamers occupied a building and stayed there the whole game. Total casualties for the game, My Daemons took out Thuderers, one cannon, the bolt Thrower and the master engineer. My partner, finally became Chaotic, and trampled 10 gunners, the Daemon General and his accompanying Bloodletters, and the other cannon. End result they had the BSB, half a unit of Bloodletters, half of the Flamers, and the Gyrocopter left, while we lost my Furies, One Fiend, and the Marauder Horsemen. We had three table quarters ( the foourth was contested by the 'Letters, my Daemonettes, and the Chaos Knights) and a captured banner as well. Massacre to us. It almost felt bad winning the game. The Dwarf shooting killed a grand total of 1 Horror, and 1 Marauder Horseman while the Flamers killed 1 Fiend and 7 Marauders. The Thunderers were both smashed on turn two as was 1 cannon, the other cannon misfired on turn 2, and the bolt thrower killed one Horror, but failed to wound a second. On turn three, The marauder horse destroyed the second cannon, while the Bolt thrower with rune of hits on a 2 missed my Horrors yet again. On his turn three, the Master engineer left the bolt thrower crew, which my seekers charged and slaughtered on turn 4, which resulted in the engineer failing a panic test and running screaming from the battlefield. It was just a bad day for the Dwarves, must have been the inferior quality Beer they were serving at the convention. (Yep the tourney was at a gming convention, and (luckily) had bber available. (After 4 beers early on, I didn't really care that we had lost the first two games, but it sunk in later on.)

Malorian
14-04-2009, 19:10
Those are some odd pairings... (high elves and warriors of chaos??? :wtf:)

Too bad that you didn't get to play with your son. It's never a good thing to be paired up with someone you have no background with and be forced to play against people who know each other well and have a solid battle plan put together beforehand.

At least you won that last game :)

Any pictures?

Briohmar
15-04-2009, 10:54
The wife wouldn't let me bring the good camera, and my little camera's batteries are dead. Sorry.

High Elves and Chaos Warriors, Empire and Warriors, and Dwarves and Daemons were all wierd pairings. The High elf team had an excuse though. The Warriors guy was teamed with his girlfriend. And she was definitely an elf type player.

As for winning the last one, yep, I'm happy. Means my Daemons are still undefeated against Dwarves at least. If my warriors ally had gotten a bit more agressive, we'd have probably won the second one as well, but there it is.

selone
15-04-2009, 14:38
Thanks for the tourny recap, btw how did you handle magic phase and army general/bsb in thta tourny?

Briohmar
15-04-2009, 16:25
Magic was handled very easily. Each team got two casting and two dispel dice respectively. Obviously, Dwarf players got their extra dispel dice, etc.

For generals and BSB's, each player was treated as a separate entity. Meaning my Daemon Herald could only lend her LD to the Daemons, and my BSB was only good for Daemonic re-rolls on break tests. Each general was only worth 50 victory points if killed however and BSBs were still worth 100 if captured.

Briohmar
03-05-2009, 15:32
So after a short hiatus, I managed to get in a game today. I used my 1500 point Warriors list against Lionels Dwarves. We are both playing in a 1500 point tournament next Sunday, and welcomed the opportunity to fine tune the lists. The lists are as follows:

Chaos:

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Mark of Tzeentch, Disk of Tzeentch, Cojoined Homonculous, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Mark of Nurgle, Barded Steed, Book of Secrets, Collar of Khorne

5 Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Flails, Mark of Slaanesh

5 Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Flails, Mark of Slaanesh

5 Hounds

6 Hounds

5 Chaos Knights, Champion, Banner of Rage, Mark of Nurgle

5 Chaos Knights, Champion, Rapturous Standard, Mark of Slaanesh

Giant, Mark of Slaanesh

The Dwarves

Runesmith, Gomril Armor, Shield, Rune of Stone, Dispel rune

Runesmith, Gomril Armor, Rune of Stone, Dispell Rune, rune of something else.

Thane, Heavy Armor, Rne of Gomril, Rune of Challenge, BSB, Oathstone

10 Thunderers

10 Thunderers

18 Clan Warriors with Shields and Great Weapons

19 Iron Breakers, Full Command, Rune of immune to fear

Bolt Thrower, Rune of Fire, Rune of Piercing, Engineer

Grudge Thrower, Engineer

Gyro-Copter

The Warriors were finally back in the invasion. They had been held up by a nasty snowstorm that kept them in place for several long weeks. Finally, the weather broke, and they were on their way again, until the advanced gurad encountered a Dwarven settlement. As Great Lord Briohmar hates dwarves with all of his soul, and to the very core of his being, the cavalry force squared off to slaughter some stunties.

Initial thoughts, and the grand plan:

OK, Lionel had his combat oriented Dwarves back on the table, which meant that if everything went well, it would be a hard fight for me, but if everything went south, I would be hard pressed to even draw. I am trying out some new characters, and adding the Giant, which could be a bad thing against Dwarves. I know that Lionel will deploy pretty much in the center with his army, so the plan is to put the fastest elements out on the flanks and try to double envelope. The hounds sole purpose is to buy the Knights some time to charge, and I would send the giant off to one flank as well, at least he could draw some fire. When he laid out two runesmiths, I knew magic would be pretty limited, but I should be able to get off one spell per turn.

More to follow.

Briohmar
06-05-2009, 05:49
It took longer to get back to this report than I had intended, but I've had a pretty hectic work week.

SET UP

The table was decorated with five pieces of terrain, all of which were on the respective edges of the deployment zone. There was a building and a wood on the Dwarf side, and a wood, hill, and rock formation on my side.

Dwarves:

As extected the Dwarves were pretty closely packed in the center of the deployment zone, with the gyro behind the building, then the warriors with both runesmiths, thunderers, bolt thrower, iron breakers with BSB, grudge thrower behind the forest, and the other thunderers defending the right flank.

Chaos:

I deployed Marauder horse, Tzeentch sorcerer on disk, hounds and Slaanesh Knights, Hounds and Nurgle Knights with sorcerer, Giant and more horsemen.

TURN 1: Advance under fire

The warriors of chaos came out quick, trying to get through the fire that the dwarves would put down. The horsemen on the left flank were safe, and were angling for a flank or rear charge, while everyone else moved forward to try to break through. Magic was nearly uneventful, but drew out both dispel runes, and burned all 6 dispel dice up, leaving buboes unopposed to cause a wound on the BSB. The dwarves responded predictably, the warriors and iron breakers moved forward to engage, while everyone else shot. The gyro steamed the hounds, which succesfully created a really nasty wet-dog smell, the left hand thunderers killed 2 hounds from the group protecting the Nurgle knights who promptly fled, the gurdge thrower killed 1 hound from the unit screening the Slaanesh knights, the bolt thrower caused a single wound on the giant, and the right hand thunderers killed 4 of the marauder horsemen on the right flank.

Turn 2: Holy cats, they're shooting at us, we better get to fighting quick.

OK, this turn was where I discovered the first major flaw with the list as it is set up. The Nurgle knights had to charge the iron breakers, not exactly the ideal position for the Nurgle sorcerer. The Slaaneshi knights charged the warriors, with the hope of killing at least one runesmith. The hounds screening the Slaanesh knights charged the thunderers and were blasted back to hell. The Tzeentch sorcerer moved to try to take out some shooting, the left horsemen moved into flanking position to aid the Slaanesh knights, and the giant closed in on the thunderers while the remaining horseman musician got out of direct fire of the handgunners. The hounds, surprise surprise, failed to rally. Magic saw most everything either fail to cast or dispelled. CC saw the Slaanesh knights wound one runesmith and kill three warriors, while the other refused the challenge and hid behind his warriors resulting in a draw. The Nurgle champion failed to wound the BSB, but the other knights killed 2 iron breakers, and held. The Dwarven handgunners, out of pure audacity, counter charged the Slaanesh knights, while the gyro positioned itself to protect the warriors flank. The handgunners shot at the giant, but failed to wound, and the bolt thrower missed on a 2+ and the grudgethrower clipped the Tzeentch mage, but failed to wound. CC saw the Nurgle Knights kill two more iron breakers, but the champion failed to wound the BSB, and in a horrendous roll, the knights broke and fled. With yet even worse dice, the thunderers hit and killed (I hate snake eyes) 2 Slaanesh knights, who killed two warriors, and failed to wound the runesmith, losing badly, the Knights rolled a one on their breaktest (yeah Rapturous Standard) and held.

I will break here because being at work at 2 an really sucks, and I need a nap. I'll finish up this evening or tomorrow morning early.

Briohmar
07-05-2009, 11:28
Once more into the breach my friends, once more.

Turn 3

The Marauder Horse charged the gyro, and the giant charged the thunderers. Meanwhile, the Nurgle knights and hounds rallied. Magic failed epically, with a miscast from the Tzeentch sorcerer losing a level, along with a wound. The giant crashed through the thunderers and smashed them all, while the horsemen completely whiffed their attacks, and were run down by the pursuing gyro. The Slaanesh knights finally managed to wound the other runesmith, with no wounds in return, and once more the magic of the Rapturous standard held. I rolled a 12 for the break test, double sixes still counts as a double. The dwarf turn saw little actually accomplished. The grudge thrower and bolt thrower both missed the giant, and the Slaaneshi knights again held their ground.

Turn 4

The Dwarf BSB enacted the rune of challenge, and the Tzeentch sorcerer obligingly charged, but so did the Nurgle knights and sorcerer. The remaining horsman charged the grudge thrower, and the giant moved to a position where he could charge either war machine. With both sorcerers locked in combat, no spells were cast. The knights and sorcerers caused a couple of wounds on the iron breakers, but not enough to cause them to break, and the champ couldn't damage the gomril suited BSB. The Slaaneshi knights again killed a couple more warriors, and again held their ground. At this point I feel it necessary to point out an error in the graphic from DW Turn 3. The gyro moved into the center of the board to threaten the Tzeentch sorcerer. The gyro charged the Tzeentch sorcerer. That's it, that was the only dwarven move. The bolt thrower shot at the giant and failed to wound him yet again, but the grudge thrower had a dead on hit on the hounds, killing three and chasing the last one off. The gyro killed the sorcerer, the champion and BSB failed to wound each other in the challenge, and the knights and iron breakers each caused a single unsaved wound, but it was enough to send the Nurgle knights fleeing (again) with the iron breakers in slightly less than hot pursuit. The Slaaneshi knights killed another clan warrior, and again held their ground.

Turn 5

The giant charged the grudge thrower, while the Nurgle knights rallied yet again. The gyro was hit by a fireball amd lost a wound, and buboes took another wound from it. The Slaaneshi champion was finally killed, as was another knight, leaving only the Rpturous standard standing proud and unyielding, while the giant ate a crewman and smashed the machine as the remaining crew fled. The gyro adjusted its position to protect the iron breakers, and washed some slime and muck off the Nurgle knights armor. while the bolt thrower again failed to wound the giant, but the dwarf crew rallied in the woods. The Slaanesh knight failed again to take the last wound from the runesmith, and was finally chased off.

Final Go

The giant no longer had a good charge on the bolt thrower, but felt obligated to do something, so he charged the grudgethrower crew in the wounds, who failed their fear test and ran, but the giant would at least have some cover for the final shot. The Nurgle knights charged the gyro. the Nurgle sorcerer, hanging out on the edge of the fight, decided to risk the miscast and was rewarded with a plague squall killing two warriors, but fireball on the thunderers was dispelled. The knights crushed the gyro, and made a half assed run for the thunderers. really atrocious over-run roll a grand total of 6 inches when I needed an 11 or more to hit them. The clan warriors backed up to claim a table quarter, the thunderers shot at, and failed to wound, the Nurgle knights, and the bolt thrower hit the giant, and caused another single wound. not enough to get any points for the giant thank the lords of misrule.

So with trepidation, we began adding up the points. I was concerned that with quarters and banners I was handing Lionel almost 1200 points, but was shocked to find that he handed me back more than 900. End result a minor victory to the dwarves.

Final Thoughts

Wow! it was closer than I thought. What a great game, and a real nail-biter. a few less whiffed rolls and it might have been a Chaos victory. Some lessons learned (and already incorporated into the list:) 1) Frenzy on Sorcerer= bad! 2) the Rapturous Standard would be a bargain at twice the price. 3) Must remember to threaten to turn the dice into little piles of crystaline dust if they fail me again so horrendously. Otherwise, I don't see how I could have played the game any better, Lionel either. To be honest, Lionel shocked me when he flanked my knights with his thunderers, and even worse was him causing two unsaved wounds. That hurt! something not mentioned above is that for the first three rounds of combat, Lionel refused my Slaanesh champion's challenge, and retired one of his runesmiths each turn, which hindered my ability to cause more than 1 wound to either one.

Briohmar
11-05-2009, 08:58
Well, Yesterday was the big 1500 points, 62 Player tournament. To keep it sort of square, the organiser diveded the players up into three pools based on several criteria. I was in Pool A. I used my Warriors, which I felt was a pretty good option, and it turns out there were more Warriors players than any other army.

My List:

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Barded Steed, Mark of Nurgle, Book of Secrets, Collar of Khorne

Sorcerer, Level 2, Disk of Tzeentch, Mark of Tzeentch, Power Familiar, Dispel Scroll.

2X 5 Marauder Horsemen, Musician, Flails, Mark of Slaanesh

2X 5 Hounds

5 Chaos Knights, Champion, Banner of Rage, Mark of Slaanesh

5 Chaos Knights, Champion, Rapturous Standard, Mark of Nurgle

Giant, Mark of Slaanesh

Game 1, Dwarven Gunline:

OK, When I saw this thing, the only thing I could think of is, Thank the Gods I have all cavalry. He had two runed up master engineers, a rune smith with the rune of sneaky stealin' and a disrel rune, 2X 12 thunderers with shields, 2X 12 quarellers with shields, 4 runed up bolt throwers with engineers, a runed up cannon with engineer, and an organ gun with engineer. He deployed from left to right, quarellers, thunderers, bolt thrower, cannon with General (master engineer), bolt thrower with Master engineer, bolt thrower, organ gun with runesmith, bolt thrower, thunderers, quarellers. I was across from him with horsemen, dogs and Slaanesh knights, Tzeentch sorcerer, giant, dogs and Nurgle knights with sorcerer, and horsemen. He got the first turn and shot the hell out of my left side thunderers, leaving only the musician, his cannon failed to wound a hound, but killed a Slaanesh knight, his other quarellers killed a single marauder horsemanand his bolt throwers killed a hound and wounded the giant once. I moved forward as fast as I could, with magic being not so good. He then shot one more of my hounds, a Nurgle knight, more hounds on the other side, missed the horseman, more Slaanesh knights, and again wounded the giant, the hounds paniced. on my turn two, the depleted horsemen, hounds and remaining Slaanesh knight charged the quarellers, on the other side, the horsemen and Nurgle knights charged the quarrellers, and the Tzeentch sorcerer and Giant attempted to charge the thunderers, the giant was an inch out, and failed, but soaked up the stand and shoot taking only one wound. The Nurgle knights and horseman slaughtered their opponant, and the pursuit brought the Nurgle knights into contact with the thunderers as well, who were in turn slaughtered and run down, leaving my entire right flank off the board in his deployment zone. The left flank didn't fare so well, and only the knight and horseman made it to combat, and both promptly died. the hounds rallied. his turn three killed off my giant, while mine brought my Nurgle knights to within an inch of the first bolt thrower, while my Tzeentch sorcerer and horsemen took cover in the ruins, and my hounds took cover behind the building in the center.

At this point, he was pretty well done for. Only one artillery piece could fire at anything because his guns were deployed on line. The one bolt thrower kindly missed the knight. Then began a series of charges and breaks, which resulted in five of his 6 artillery pieces and all of his characters being killed. End result, draw, but in my favor, so 13 points to 12.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09001.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09002.jpg

Game 2, Warriors of Chaos:

All right, a game of who could fight the hardest, also a challenge kind of like gunfighting, square off and see who blinks first.

He had an exalted champion on stted of Slaanesh with Flail and blood curdling roar,

Exalted on Juggernaut, also with flail

Sorcerer of Slaanesh, Lvl 1 with 2 scrolls

5 marauder horse with flails and musician, MoS

2 X 5 hounds

18 marauders full command, light armor, shields, MoS

5 Khorne knights

5 Khorne knights

He got the first turn, and came forward a bit, and took some solid positioning, but in his magic phase, disaster struck, he rolled 3 dice for Lash against my horsemen, but I scrolled it. He did kill one Slaanesh knight with his roar. In my turn, I magicked him a bit, killing two of his horsemen with a fireball, and three Warriors with flickering fire. My hounds charged his hounds, who fled but were caught, leaving my hounds right in front of his khorne knights and exalted. My horsemen charged wis marauders, and though they killed two marauders, and his Sorcerer, they fled. His horsemen charged mine, and were chased down. Basically, at the strat of turn 3, everything was looking bad for me, but his warriors, who had opted to flee from my knights charge rallied and reformed, blonking his Khorne knights charge on my Slaanesh knights, but his exalted charged them in the flank, and killed the a knight. Then my giant charged his exalted in the flank, but he challenged the knight champion to avoid being killed. The combat ended in a draw. His khorne knights also charged into the fray, but the Giant got first attack, and yelled, causing both the exalted and the knights to run, with the giant chasing the sorcerer, and the knights running down his knights, and hitting the warriors in the rear. on the other side, his other knights and exalted were in contact with my Nurgle knights and horsemen in the flank. well, he killed off the horsemen, but ended up losing, and his Exalted ran and was captured. My Slaanesh knights killed off his warriors and at the end of turn 4, he was down to 16 marauders, and conceided, giving me a superior victory (between solid and massacre.) OK, I was now at 36 points after 2 games. Doing well.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09003.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09004.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09005.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09006.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09007.jpg

I'll write up the final game in a while.

Briohmar
13-05-2009, 13:12
Well, its now three days later, and because of several turns of events, I don't fully remember all that happened the third game. I t was against Daemons, though and the list was Herald of Khorne on Jugger with Obsidian Armor, Herald of Nurgle on Palanquin BSB with Standard of -2 to cast (he chose Lore of Nurgle, which I thought wasn't allowed but, I let it go anyways.) and a Herald of Tzeentch with Vortex and Scroll. His core was a unit of 11 Plaguebearers, with Standard, 11 Bloodletters, also with standard, and 6 Furies. He also had 2 units of 5 Hounds and 5 Flamers. Up until turn 3, everything was going pretty well, his Herald had the most epic miscast I have ever seen, he tried gleen magic on three dice, and rolled a triple 1. For the miscast result, he rolled snake eyes, and his herald vanished into the void. I had a good double charge lined up with the Slaanesh knights and marauder horse against some flesh hounds, and my giant got into a scrap with the bloodletters. both spell casters hit the nurgle troops with everything they had, killing half of them, and wounding the herald, the Khorne herald was also wounded, and the furies were dispatched, but from there it all went downhill. the Giant got killed, the Slaanesh knights were flanked and chased the horsemen got shot to hell, the other unit was down to 2, and a miscast took my Tzeentch sorcerer down a wound, then the furies managed to finish him off. Basically when all was said and done, I was down to the nurgle caster, half a unit of Nurgle knights, and half a unit of marauder horse, while his Characters were both down to half points, his two big units were down to half points, one unit of flesh hounds was dead, but the other was untouched, and his flamers were untouched, but I did have his Tzeentch Herald, one unit of Flesh hounds and his furies. End result, solid loss for me. Damn, I was doing really well, and then the dice let me down. I completely rubber lanced two rounds of combat, coupled with a really un-timely miscast on turn three. I just couldn't recover from it, and it cost me the day. His list was, however, one of those Daemon lists you don't mind playing against. Not too much over powered except maybe two units of Fleshhounds. And with my list, I stood a good chance of beating him, provided I didn't whiff too many hits or armor saves, which of course I did.

So over-all I finished 11 of 22 in my bracket. Right in the middle, which one would expect with a win, a loss and a draw.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09008.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09009.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09010.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09011.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09012.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r181/Briohmar/Warhammer/DogshowBelgium1Mai09013.jpg

Briohmar
16-05-2009, 06:57
So I added the pictures of the final game to the tournament report above.

Tomorrow, I will be playing my Daemons again, but this time, I'll be using the non-Keeper list (most likely) with 4 heralds. Chris wants to use the Warriors at the club. We'll see how he does this time.

selone
16-05-2009, 10:35
Thank you for the battlerep's and grats on finishing middle in the tough bracket. I love the mushroom scnery and your purple dice btw :)

Briohmar
16-05-2009, 13:44
The purple dice (theres a set of pink ones too) have been a fixture of my Slaanesh army since I started playing Chaos. I really liked the miushroom forests. Oddly enough, the tournament organizer actually appologized for them. It somehow seemed appropriate scenery for a battle between Chaos armies, you know, giant mutated mushrooms.

Briohmar
17-05-2009, 19:06
So I managed to get in two games today using my Daemons. The first was against a magic heavy all mounted Warriors of Chaos, and the second against Vampire Counts. I was trying something different with my list today, and made it just about as soft as a Daemon list can be.

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1, Etherblade

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1, Etherblade, BSB, Icon of Despair, Steed of Slaanesh

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1, Siren Song, Alure of Slaanesh

Herald of Tzeentch, Spell Breaker

14 Daemonettes of Slaanesh, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

14 Caemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

17 Horrors, Icon of Sorcery

6 Furies

4 Flamers

2 Fiends

OK, while I was putting this list together, I wanted to use only two gods, and none in opposition. Thus, no Flesh Hounds, or the like. With only 9 Casting dice, its not really magic heavy, more like magic medium, The hardest hitting things in the list are S4, but no armor saves (the two heralds) And it is fast, with just a little bit of shooting support. I'll do up the graphics tomorrow, and the full write ups, but tonight, the lists. First, Warriors of Chaos:

Sorcerer Lord, Lvl 4, Mark of Slaanesh, Bronze Armor, Sword of Might, Golden Eye, Third Eye, Barded Steed, Dispel scroll

Sorcerer, Mark of Tzeentch, Disk of Tzeentch, Power Familiar, Collar of Khorne

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Mark of Nurgle, Book of Secrets, Dispel Scroll

3 X 5 Marauder Horsemen, Musician and Flail, Mark of Slaanesh

2 X 5 Warhounds

5 Knights, Mark of Slaanesh, Champion, Rapturous Standard

5 Knights, Mark of Nurgle, Champion, Banner of Rage

Giant, Mark of Slaanesh

The Vampire Counts list:

Vampire, Dark Acolyte, Great Weapon, General

Vampire, Dark Acolyte, Shield, Staff of D6 wounds, something else

Vampire, Dark Acolyte, Barded Steed, book of Arkhan

19 Skeletons, HW, Shield, Full Command

19 Skeletons, HW, Shield, Full Command

20 Zombies

2 X 5 Dire Wolves

9 Black Knights, Barding, Full command

3 Wraiths with Banshee

That's it for now, just the prelims. As I said I'll start the graphics and write-ups tomorrow.

Briohmar
18-05-2009, 13:00
OK, Chaos Vs Chaos is always a fun game. It often comes down to the gun-slingers facing off in the street, and who will draw first. In this case, The Daemons were out-gunned, but the Warriors had the shorter reach. The Waariors also have more expendables, as the cheaest Daemon unit is 72 points, vs 30 for the Warriors. The Warriors also had magical superiority, though the Daemons do have 7 dispel dice, so magic could be a game breaker, or a dismal failure all around.

Set Up:

There was very little terrain to affect deployment, and the two forests in the middle of the table would definitely be a significant factor to maneuver. The Warriors Player was deployed from left to right, frenzied Nurgle Knights with Sorcerer, two units of Horsemen, the Tzeentch disk Surfer on top of the building, both units of hounds in the center, and the Slaanesh Knights with Sorcerer Lord, Giant and final unit of Horsemen. I set my Daemons up oddly, it would seem. Clearly, his right flank was the strongest, and I set my weakest forces up against them, in the form of the Furies, Flamers, and Horrors. On my left flank, I had the Fiends, and Seekers, and in the Center both units of 'Nettes with heralds.

Turn 1:

I won the roll to go first, but I ever so graciously allowed my opponent to make the first move. The Warriors moved forward rather cautiously, with only the Giant making his full march move. The Tzeentch Sorcerer did move forward enough to range the Flickering Fire. And The Nurgle Sorcerer hit the Fiends with a fireball, but caused no wounds, and botched Buboes. The Slaanesh Sorcerer Lord effectively had only two spells usable this game, Frenzy and Lash, and so didn't bother to cast on turn 1. The Daemons response was also measured, with a feint from the Fiends against the frenzied knights, only to move behind the woods. Magic saw two flickering fires hit the hounds, resulting in a grand total of 1 dead dog. Shooting was a little better, as the entire right flank unit of Marauder Horse was wiped out.

Turn 2, The Warriors Blink, but who'll draw first.

Marauder Horsemen charged the Seekers of Sllanesh, thinking them soft weak and pink; easily tenderised by their whirling flails. Both units of hounds attempted to charge the Daemonettes, but faultered, fearing the musky perfume of the nasty ladies. Meanwhile, the Giant charged the Furies. The Tzeentch went back to the relative safety of the building, and the two units of knights moved further forward, still edgy about getting in to charge range. Magic saw the left hand 'Nettes lose a couple to Flickering Fire, while the Flamers were hit by an in-effective Lash of Slaanesh, and then Frenzy was dispelled using the Daemons only scroll. The Nurgle Sorcerer miscast, and suffered a wound for his troubles. The Seekers let loose with a flury of blows, killing off four Horsemen before they could even attack, The last one fled, and was run down easily, leaving the Seekers free to hit the second unit of Horsemen. The Daemonic response was less subtle. Both units of 'Nettes charged the hounds, who promptly failed their respective fear tests and fled. The Seekers already had someone in which to tend their tender affections, and the Horrors shifted around to blast the Giant. Magic saw two flickering fires launched at the Giant, one of which got through causing a single wound. All other magic was dispelled, or failed to cast. And the Flamers really unleashed on the Giant causing another 4 wounds. Meanwhile, the Seekers killed three more marauder horsemen, losing 1 in return, but chasing the horsemen off the battlefield, even though they got away.

Briohmar
18-05-2009, 14:10
Turn 3: Oops! Frenzy Works.

The Warriors were in a bit of a snit. There was no one to charge. How Horrible. One unit of hounds managed to rally, while the other one just kept on runnin'. The Giant and Slaanesh Knights moved into position against the Flamers, while the Nurgle Knights turned around and headed back towards where the Seekers would re-emerge. The Nurgle Sorcerer tried for Rot-Glorious Rot, and miscast, blowing himself up, and taking two of his Knights with him. The Tzeentch sorcerer zapped another couple of Daemonettes with Flickering fire, while the Slaanesh Sorcerer lashed out (pun intended) at the Horrors, killing one, and then, just for grins and giggles, attempted to frenzy the flamers, one irresistible force later, my flamers were in trouble. So naturally, the frantic flamers rushed the Giant, The Daemonettes charged the recently rallied hounds, who passed their fear test and held, and the seekers re-emerged right in the charge arc of the Frenetic Nurgle Knights (though much reduced.) The Other Daemonettes reformed to face the oncoming threat of the Giant and Slaanesh Knights, and the Fiends did an about face, and headed towards the center of the field. The Horrors and Tzeentch Herald attempted to Flicker the Slaanesh Knights, but failed to even heat up their armor. The remaining Heralds failed to cast their respective spells. The Giant Yelled at the Flamers, who suffered a wound from his incredibly bad breath. The Herald of Slaanesh butchered the remaining 4 hounds, and held in place.

Turn 4, You Never know what might happen.

The Nurgle Knights charged the Seekers, The Slaanesh Knights charged the Flamers, and the Tzeentch Sorcerer stayed put in his building. The Tzeentch Sorcerer Miscast Flickering fire, and ended the magic phase. The Herald BSB challenged the Knight Champion, and cut him down, while the other Seekers killed another kknight, leaving only the standard bearer, who failed to wound, and fled with the Seekers in hot pursuit. Don't ask me how a Frenzied Chaos Knight can fail to wound a T3 creature with 3 S5 and 2 S4 attacks, but somehow it happened. The Giant had another therapeutic yell, or maybe it was a primal scream, whatever it was, the Flamers didn't budge. The Daemons did some strategic maneuvering but failed to do much else. The Horrors tried Gift of Chaos, but didn't get it off, and no-one else really had any spells at this point that seemed worth tempting the mis-cast fates. The Giant Swung with club and caused three unsaved wounds on the flamers, who took another two from the Chaos Knights, and then popped into obscurity.

Turn 5. The Ending Is Just A Beginning.

The Giant and Slaanesh Knights charged up the hill against the Horrors, The final Nurgle Knight fled from the fight, and the Tzeentch caster, now feeling very lonely, attempted flickering fire on the Daemonettes now threatening his very existence. Naturally, with so many worries, he failed to concentrate, and miscast, allowing the Horrors to pop off with a Gift of Chaos. One Slaanesh Knight died, while the Giant suffered two S6 hits, enough to kill him, and wouldn't you know it, he fell over and crushed two more Slaanesh Knights. Combat saw the Knights kill a single horror, and the Horrors do nothing in return, but hold fast. The Daemonettes charged the Tzeentch sorcerer in his building, and chopped him up into little Tzeentchy meatballs, while the horrors held yet again.

At this point, The Warriors player had two Knights and a Sorcerer Lord left, even if we played another turn, the outcome would be the same: Solid Victory To The Daemons!

Briohmar
19-05-2009, 10:45
Onwards to the second game. Two of the 6 fantasy players had to go home, which left Lionel, a VC player, Christopher, and me. The other guy doesn't speak much english, so I asked Lionel if he would play against Chris, while I faced off against the VC. I want to go on record here stating that Chris had his first solo victory against Lionel's Dwarves, who if you check back, had a minor victory against me a couple weeks ago. I was looking forward to playing against the VC, as I've only had a couple games against them since the release of the book, one of which ended in disaster for the Vampire player (who just happened to be Lionel :D ) With this list, I was a little worried, as I have only 2 figures in the whole army with T4, and only 11 figures total with S4, and nothing higher. The benefit to the list is that I could run circles around everything but the Wraiths and Spirit Hosts. (Which I apparently forgot to include in the army list above, guess I should fix that.)

SET-UP

Table: The table, for whatever reason, only had 3 terrain pieces on it, one was a huge hill that was impassable on 3 sides, the second was a forest, right in the middle, and the final was a large church.

Vampires: (From left to right) Dire Wolves, Vampire General with 19 Skeletons, HW, SH, Banner; 3 Spirit Host bases; 20 Zombies; Vampire with the nasty Rod and 19 Skellies with full command; Vampire with Book, mounted on Barded Steed, with 9 Black Knights, full command; Dire Wolves; and hanging out in the back, 2 Wraiths and a Banshee.

Daemons: (Also from left to right) Furies, BSB Herald with 5 Seekers with Siren Standard, Siren Herald with 14 Daemonettes, Tzeentch Herald with 17 Horrors and Icon of Sorcery, General Herald with 14 Daemonettes, 4 Flamers, 2 Fiends.

Turn 1: The Positioning

I won the roll, and opted to go first. I flew the furies up onto the hill, while everyone else moved forward 6-8" except for the Fiends who went full bore towards the dire wolves, and to avoid the Black Knights' charge arc. Magic saw Flickering fire kill a whole 1 skeleton (that's with two castings) Glean magic failed, and no other magic was attempted. The Flamers managed to kill a black knight as well. Th Vamps responded agressively. Both units of Dire Wolves charged their respective opponents, the Spirit host floated towards the forest, but only one base made it into the woods, the Black Knights moved forwards to try to get a charge arc on the Flamers. The General and his skellies moved towards the Furies just a bit, The wraiths drifted over towards the Fiends, and the other skellies and zombies shuffled towards the horrors and 'Nettes. Magic saw raise dead dispelled twice, as well as the rod of D6 hits against the General's 'Nettes, and Curse of Years failed to go off against the Horrors. The Left side Direwolves slaughtered 4 of my Furies, but lost two of their number in, so naturally, the furies popped. The right side wolves scored a single wound against the Fiends, who responded by re-killing everyone of them, with an extra wound to spare. (I hit 7 of 8 and wounded with 6 of 7.)

Turn 2: The Challenge

The BSB and Seekers charged the Vamp General and his skellies, the Siren Herald and her 'Nettes charged the Spirit hosts who were still hanging out of the woods. (Yes I know this is sort of clipping, but, I endeavored to bring as many models into contact as possible, which was all five, but one base of hosts (the ones in the woods, were only corner to corner, and my 5th 'Nette was also only in corner to corner, so even though sort of a clip, everyone was in contact and could fight.) The Horrors started their moonwalk back, while the Generals 'Nettes inched forward. The Flamers took cover in the church, figuring they'd be safe there from the Black Knights, even if it would visit the wrath of Sigmar on them (which didn't happen. Ha ha! Sigmar is a weak God!) Magic saw 4 more Skellies fall to Flickering fire (which now meant when they charged it would be 3 ranks to 3, better for me.) Both Heralds in contact cast Succour of Slaanesh, which meant they got to re-roll misses (they already have ASF.) The Flamers failed to wound the black Knights. The Herald BSB challenged in his fight, and the Vampire General accepted. Each caused a wound on the other, but 4 Skellies were chopped down, which meant I won combat by 1 so down 1 more Skellie. The 'Nettes and Herald caused 2 wounds and won combat so the spirit host was down to a single base. The dire wolves moved around to rear charge my Seekers, the Skellies and Zombies shuffled forward some more, and the Blck knights just shifted position a bit, as did the Wraiths. Magic saw an IF Curse of Years go off on my horrors, killing: . . . 1! two raise deads were dispelled, as was the staff, but the Book suddenly appeared, and the Vamp and Skellies were propelled forward into combat with my General. The Banshee sang a song to my fiends, who offered her a record contract if she'd switch sides. (The Banshee wail rolled a 5, not enough to cause a wound.) The Herald and Vampire General each swung at each other, but both were really just playing around, and jamming to the Banshee song, and failed to wound each other. The remaining Seekers had no hesitation however, and chopped up 4 more skellies. with 4 more crumbling away as combat results. The Herald General challenged, and the Skellie champion accepted, but was easily dismembered (3 wounds.) Two of the Daemonettes took a swipe at the female Vamp, and managed to wound her once. while the rest killed two more skellies, but lost two 'Nettes to the Vamp's attacks. 4 more skellies down. The other Herald killed off the remaining Spirit Host.

Turn 3: It's top of the third, 14 to nothing, no outs, bases loaded, and the pitcher just walked in a run.

The Daemons had no charges to declare, but the fiends re-alligned to possibly back door (Its Slaanesh, I had to say it.) the Black Knights. The Flamers continued to tempt fate by hanging out in the Church. (You know, its possible my taunting of Sigmar last turn was out of line. I was just thinking, what the hell is a Temple of Sigmar doing out in the middle of nowhere? So I must instead conclude that we must be fighting in Mousillon, and we are therefore only desecrating a Grail Chapel. No wonder we weren't smote down.) Magic saw the Horrors try for Gift of Chaos, but it was dispelled, The Tzeentch Herald blasted a couple of zombies, and the BSB cast Succour of Slaanesh again. The Flamers managed to kill off another Black Knight. Combat saw the Challenge continuing, that is until the Herald hit all four times, and wounded three of four on the Vampire General. The Seekers also killed a few more Skellies, but it really didn't matter, as the damage was done. The General Herald challenged again, and this time took the last wound off the Female Vamp, and the rest of the 'Nettes just went to town as well. The crumble tests finished off the Dire Wolves, Zombies, Skellies, and Wraiths. Leaving a very lonely Vampire and some Knights, who decided to quit the field of honor before they joined their comrades back in the grave.

Well, that was brief! I actually kind of felt bad about that one. However, it did give me one advantage, in that it allowed me to watch the rest of Christopher's game, which came out pretty good.

Malorian
20-05-2009, 14:30
Way to go on the two wins.

The vampire list was a little odd (no lord :wtf:) and it doesn't even seem like it would be 2000 points...

Anyway I liked your list and nice to see you kept to ony two 'friendly' gods.

Briohmar
21-05-2009, 06:31
I thought the VC seemed a little light as well, but he insisted it was 2000 points, so we went for it. I was shocked that there wasn't a lord too, but every one is preparing for a tournament next month that doesn't allow lords or special characters, and no more than 3 spell casters. The being said, I need to cut the magic off of two of the Slaanesh heralds, which leaves me 111 points. I don't want to increase the flamers, so do you all think I should add some more furies and daemonettes, or try to squeeze out the points for another unit? I'm thinking if I add another 6 furies (I have the models converted but not yet painted) that give me enough points left for three more Daemons. I could add two more Horrors and a 'Nette, or just make it a unit of 7 furies.

Briohmar
26-05-2009, 10:09
Well, I managed to get in a single game this weekend, against my old friend with the Popemobile and STank (For more on this army, see the following: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180661 http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178278 )

I was using my all mounted Warriors:
Sorcerer Lord, Lvl 4, Barded Steed, Bronze Armor, Collar of Khorne, Dispel scroll, Sword of Might, MoS

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Disk of Tzeentch, Power Familiar, Homonculous, Dispel Scroll, MoT

Sorcerer, Lvl 2, Barded Steed, Book, Dispel scroll, Mark of Nurgle

3 X 5 Marauder Horse

2 X 6 Hounds

5 Knights of Slaanesh, Banner of Rage, Champ

5 Nurgle Knights, Rapturous Standard, Champ

Giant of Slaanesh

The Empire Army:

Popemobile, Van Horstmans, Armor of Meteoric Iron, Sword of +2 S

Captain on Peg, Pistol, Ring of Burning Head

Lvl 2 Mage on foot

Lvl 2 mage on Horse

5 Naked Knights

12 Crossbows

12 Handgunners

6 IC Knights

2 Cannons

5 Outriders

Hellblaster

STank.

This report will not be up to my normal standard with graphics and all the bells and whistles. For whatever reason, I was really focused on the fight, and not so much on what was going on around me, or on the table itself. I basically remember the army lists, and the outcome, and a few highlights. So that's what I'm gonna write up. We didn't even know what turn it was at one point in the game, but we both assumed it was turn 4, and played it forward from there.

The game started with my forces moving up, in some cases cautiously, in others rather brashly. Magic was a wash basically thanks to a miscast followed by a 9 (magic phase ends) by the Tzeentch sorcerer. The giant gets a cannonball in the face, and reduces him to 1 wound, so he goes and hides behind a building. one unit of horsemen and some hounds fail to dent the regular knights, but the hounds hold the first round, allowing the Slaanesh Knights to chage the following turn. The Handgunners run into the building, but then run away from it in terror, thanks to the proximity of the (severly wounded) Giant. The Slaanesh Knights run down the Knights, and the mage frenzies the outriders, forcing them to charge the knights. The Nurgle Sorcerer wipes out two thirds of the IC knights, who had earlier wiped out both other Marauder Horsemen units, with Cloying Quagmire and a Fireball. The Tzeentch sorcerer takes a cannonball to the crotch, and dies, both Empire mages were gone, one charged by hounds. This is a great story: The hounds charged the cannon that the foot mage was attached to, The dogs wound the mage, kill a crewman, and then run them down, and pursue into the crossbowmen. which they hold in place for two more full turns before finally being killed off, but not before they reduce the crossbows to half strength. These were definitely the unit of the game, a 36 point unit that accounted for more than 300 points.) The fleeing handgunners ran a second turn, despite the pressence of the Popemobile, right through the cannon and hellblaster (with horse mage.) The Cannon held firm, but the hellblaster crew ran off the board in panic

After 4 tries, the captain on Peg finally took the Giant's final wound off. On what we later determined was turn 4, the Cannon crew was hit with an IF delusions, which meant on their turn, they'd be charging the Slaanesh Knights, unfortunately, so would the Popemobile. The Handgunners fled the table, The IC knights lost another knight (the standard this time) to Quagmire, and the Tank and Nurgle knights played hide and seek for about 3 turns, which ended when the Tank finally (after 4 tries) managed to cannonball the Nurgle Sorcerer. Just prio to that, however, the Peg Captain was deluded, and forced to fly directly in front of the Nurgle Knights, and he was wiped out on Turn 6. The fight between the Popemobile and the Slaanesh knights went from turn 4 to turn 6, with an ending result of the Knight Champion dead, two wounds on the Sorcerer lord (thank god for the ward save,) and one wound on the chariot.

Thus, at the end of the game, the empire player had his Popemobile, STank, and 5 Crossbowmen left, and 1 table quarter. I in turn had both units of Chaos Knights at just over half strength, my sorcerer lord at half wounds, and one table quarter. We totalled up the points, and shock and horror, it was a draw, with only about 100 points in my favor. Pretty similar to the last outing.

nkicik
04-06-2009, 16:43
Love these reports, they make up for the fact that I very rarely get to play myself.

You managed to make me root for you as well which is some acheivement as I usually want to see Demons lose no matter what!

Also I'm not sure if another unit of furies would really do much for you as they seem to just die without acheiving anything. I'd try and spend the points elsewhere if you can. That's just from reading the impact they've had in your games mind, no other experience of them.

Malorian
04-06-2009, 16:56
Why were you both so distracted? Has warhammer become boring to you? :p

Good job against the stank/pope

Briohmar
05-06-2009, 10:52
Love these reports, they make up for the fact that I very rarely get to play myself.

You managed to make me root for you as well which is some acheivement as I usually want to see Demons lose no matter what!

Also I'm not sure if another unit of furies would really do much for you as they seem to just die without acheiving anything. I'd try and spend the points elsewhere if you can. That's just from reading the impact they've had in your games mind, no other experience of them.

Thanks for the support. As for the impact, I think that furies are a great unit, as they really are the only expendable in the entire army list. As a long time Chaos player, (5th ed, 6th ed Hordes) I rank my units by how expendable they are. In Hordes, and current Warriors, the ubiquitous 30 point unit of hounds is bottom rung, and they are expended rapidly, to the point that if, and thats a big if, they are still alive after turn 3, I will pull them off someplace safe to try to claim a table quarter. Most of the time, they die on turn 2, but that's what they're for. In Daemons, the Furies serve the same purpose, except they cost twice as much. They do however, occasionally cause a big enough distraction that they draw fire, which keeps other, more important units alive longer.

@ Malorian: I don't really think we were distracted, I think it is more that we were both extremely focused on what we were doing tactics wise, that we forgot to pay attention to the mundaniam of the game. I didn't make any notes, or take any pics (I forgot the camera,) and was completely in tune with what my army was doing, and what it had to do to pull off the win. I'm pretty sure he was too, because for both of us, movement phase was slower than usual, with each of us really thinking through the moves, relooking angles, re-aligning etc.

Draconian77
05-06-2009, 11:00
A nice report although I do have one query, you managed to get his warmachine crew to charge?

I didn't think that they could ever charge, even with god of pleasure messing around inside their heads...

Briohmar
05-06-2009, 11:28
A nice report although I do have one query, you managed to get his warmachine crew to charge?

I didn't think that they could ever charge, even with god of pleasure messing around inside their heads...

Ah the subtlety of Slaanesh. It is quite funny that you can frenzy a war machine using the frenzy spell, but that it specifies if a unit can charge, it has to, and a war machine crew rule specifies that they can never willingly charge. This means that with Hysterical frenz, you can't make a cannon crew charge you, however, the Titilating delusions spell specifies that if a unit is between you and the object of your desire, you must charge. Thus a well placed marker, visible to only one member of the cannon crew, can force the crew to charge, whereas frenzying the crew can not.

Draconian77
05-06-2009, 11:39
Ah the subtlety of Slaanesh. It is quite funny that you can frenzy a war machine using the frenzy spell, but that it specifies if a unit can charge, it has to, and a war machine crew rule specifies that they can never willingly charge. This means that with Hysterical frenz, you can't make a cannon crew charge you, however, the Titilating delusions spell specifies that if a unit is between you and the object of your desire, you must charge. Thus a well placed marker, visible to only one member of the cannon crew, can force the crew to charge, whereas frenzying the crew can not.

Are you sure about stuff like that? I would always advocate the "Only if they are allowed to" clause myself, I mean, would a Cold One unit under the effect of Stupidity and Titilating Delusions be able to charge?

I really wish I had a DoC book lying around...

Briohmar
05-06-2009, 11:56
The TitDel spell reads: "Remains in play. Cast on an unengaged enemy unit within 24". Mark a point on the tabletop and within line of sight of that unit. In the 'remaining moves' part of their movement phase, the affected unit must move as directly and quickly as possible towards this point, but will charge and fight any enemy that get in their way." Whereas the Hysterical Frenzy spell specifies, the unit is frenzied, which the rules for frenzy specifically state that if a frenzied unit can declare a charge, it must do so, which a war machine cannot declare a charge. I know its a bit iffy, but by RAW, its the only way to make a gun crew charge (well that and the Waagh spell on a spear chukka crew.) In your other example, the Cold ones would be unable to charge, because they are unable to move in the "remaining moves" phase.

Draconian77
05-06-2009, 12:17
Hmm, I don't know, I'm still interpreting that differently.
I definately wouldn't play it like that, but I'm a big fan of "to each his own."

Totally derailed the thread, sorry about that. :D

Briohmar
08-06-2009, 04:03
So this weeks game is something a little different. The club was open, but because its exams week, only 4 players showed up. We decided to play a 2 on 2 game, each with 2000 points. Each of us rolled a die and the highest two rolls were paired up. Thus we have one of the oddest alliances ever: Dwarves and Chaos Daemons against Daemons and Daemons. Its important to note that three of us had our comp friendly armies for an upcoming tournament which bans special or named characters, lords, more than 3 casters, and no double rares or triple specials. The fourth player had a hard core Bloodthirster of Tzeentch list. It is this player that my shocking roll of a 1 left me allied with.

During the time of the great Chaos incursion, the wastes advanced south, swallowing up huge swaths of land, and engulfing the Dwarven stronghold of Kharag Dum. As the majority of the horde moved south to the siege of Praag, several warlords laid siege to the Dwarves, and many Champions of Chaos and Daemonic forces tried to carve domains out inside the city and mines. It was at this time that a Daemon known only as the Terror rose from the bowels of the mines, and nearly slaughtered every dwarf. Before the Terror became the senior power in the mines, several Daemonic and Mortal warlords opposed him.

Runesmith Lionel of Clan Hellas was worried. The King had sent him out of the hidden clanhold to recover three warmachines from one of the defensive positions. He led about half of the clan out of the hold to recover the guns, and reached them without incident. It was on the way home that he encountered the Daemonic warband of Warlord Briohmar. As the two forces deployed across the great hall, another Daemonic warband entered the hall from behind the Dwarves, while at the other end of the hall, a Great Bloodthirster of Khorne led his troops in. The Terror had come to force the other Daemonic Warband into subservience, while Briohmar had already established a shaky alliance with the Terror.

Lionel heard a voice in his head, saying: "We are not here to fight you, but to oppose the warband of the Terror. We propose a temporary alliance, at least long enough to defeat the Terror and his allies." Lionel had never heard anything so ridiculous, Dwarves allying with Daemons, Hmph! It was then that the Terror let out a chilling roar, and informed those present that he would enslave them all, and feed on their souls. "well," thought Lionel, "I guess maybe just this once..."

The Armies:

Briohmar's Band:

Herald of Slaanesh, Etherblade, BSB, Icon of Despair, Steed of Slaanesh

Herald of Slaanesh, Siren Song, Alure of Slaanesh

14 Daemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

19 Horrors, Icon of Sorcery

6 Furies

7 Furies

4 Flamers

2 Fiends

The Terror:
Bloodthirster Of Khorne, all the usual trappings

Herald of Khorne, Chariot, some gifts I think

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1, Chariot

Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, BSB, Banner of Gift of Chaos

3 X 10 Horrors

5 Fleshhounds

5 Screamers

Clan Hellas
Runesmith, Gomril Armor, Shield, Rune of Stone, Dispel rune

Thane, Rune of CHallenge, Rune of no Armor Saves, Oathstone

Thane, Heavy Armor, Rune of Gomril, Rune of Challenge, BSB, Oathstone

10 Thunderers

10 Thunderers

19 Clan Warriors with Shields and Great Weapons

14 Long Beards, Full Command, Great weapons

19 Iron Breakers, Full Command, Rune of immune to fear

Bolt Thrower, Rune of Fire, Rune of Piercing, Engineer

Grudge Thrower, Engineer

Organ Gun

Gyro-Copter

The Rebel Daemons:
Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, Spell Breaker

Herald of Tzeentch, BSB, Banner of Gift of Chaos

Herald of Slaanesh, Lvl 1, Allure of Slaanesh

Herald of Nurgle, Rod of Corruption,

30 Horrors, Full Command

14 Daemonettes, Full Command

10 Plaguebearers

6 Screamers

5 Fleshhounds

3 Beasts of Nurgle

Briohmar
11-06-2009, 04:17
Well, I offer you all my humblest appologies. It took me a lot longer to get the graphics done than I had anticipated, mostly because I've been working the graveyard this week. That being said, I have finished all the happy snaps, and will now proceed with the write up.

SET UP

Terrain
There were a few scattered pieces of terrain on the 4 X 7 table. The two woods were a little smaller than they appear on the graphic, there were also two buildings, the smaller of which was a ruined building, a hill in the center of the table, and a large rock formation.

Us
Deployment was conducted by each player (in their respective turn,) placed a unit. Thus each side placed two units per turn. We deployed, from left to right, Khorne heralrd on chariot, 7 furies, 19 horrors with herald, 14 daemonettes with siren song herald, flesh hounds with the Tzeentch herald BSB on chariot close behind, 10 horrors, the Slaanesh herald on chariot, with the screamers behind, 14 'nettes with Slaanesh herald (general,) two units of 10 horrors with the bloodthirster behind, 6 furies, 2 fiends, and 5 seekers plus BSB herald.

Them
The enemy forces deployment zone was a little tighter than ours, as they had a forest and a building in their zone. (Also from left to right on the graphic) 10 Thunderers, 19 Clan Warriors with Runesmith, 30 Horrors with herald BSB, and Tzeentch herald on chariot general behind, grudge thrower, gyrocopter, Organgun, plaguebeasts, screamers, 14 'Nettes with herald, iron breakers with thane BSB, 10 plaguebearers with herald, 5 fleshhounds, 14 longbeards with thane, 10 thunderers.

Turn 1
As my daemons had more units by far than anyone else, the roll with plus 1 meant they would go first. The daemons advanced cautiously, not wanting to exceed the support offered by the dwarves. Magic was pretty casual for the first turn, with only two attempts at flickering fire, both dispelled, and a slicing shards directed at the horrors which failed to cast. Shooting saw the grudgethrower have a perfect guess on the left side daemonettes, but a scatter backwards of 10", which the arrow die re-roll sent it almost exactly the same place. The boltthrower took a shot at the bloodthirster, and hit but failed to wound. We responded a bit more aggressively, moving everything closer into position to use a magic barage, and follow up with charges on turn 2. Magic started with a successful casting of acquiessence on the boltthrower, which I reminded Lionel had failed stupidity tests in the past (a little psyop action never hurts.) He responded in agreement, but was willing to risk it, and saved the dice for other things. The three small units of horrors opened up with flickering fires, one failed, and the other two were dispelled, The big unit of horrors hit the clan warriors, and drew out a scroll, while the herald hit the horrors, and was also dispelled. Finally, the Tzeentch banner was also dispelled with the remaining two dice. The flamers opened up on the fleshhounds and caused 3 unsaved wounds which equated to first blood of the match, whoo hoo!

Turn 2
The dwarves started off the turn by failing the stupidity test on the bolt thrower. The Slaanesh herald invoked a charge by the Horrors, the thunderers, having rare luck with shooting, opted instead, to charge the furies. The plaguebeasts charged a small unit of horrors, and the fleshhounds went after the Fiends. Magic was shut down, with the exception of the rod of corruption, which killed 3 'nettes from the generals unit. The grudgethrower mifired, and the other thunderers fired on the seekers, but failed to cause any wounds (two ward saves made, contrary to my usual luck.) Close combat started with the thunderers killing 4 furies (ah my ward save luck was back in force.) The Slaanesh herald challenged the Tzeentch herald and killed him. The remaining 'nettes killed three more horrors, and lost a few more on the test. The plaguebeasts killed some horrors, took a wound, but killed 3 horrors, two more died to instability. Finally, the hounds caused 2 wounds on the fiends, and took to in return, end result was a draw. We responded with the Khorne herald charging the thunderers, who fled, the fleshhounds charging the horrors flank, and the seekers charging the other thunderers who failed their fear test and fled. (Rats! That wasn't supposed to happen. This left my seekers with an exposed flank. Not good.) Most everyone else moved into good positions to support. The magical barrage started with the chariot Slaanesh herald successfully (the only time the entire game) casting Pavane on the iron breakers, only to discover a rune of MR 2. Stupidity was cast on the long beards, and drew out the second and final dispell scroll. The horrors both hit the plague bearers with flickering fire, and the resulting 4 hits, all at S2-3 wow, really crappy rolling here! failed to wound a single guy. Gift of Chaos was cast and dispelled, The banner of gift of chaos was dispelled, and the remaining flickering fire was dispelled. The flamers managed to get a few solid hits in on the daemonettes, and killed three. Close combat saw the Daemonettes and fleshhounds wipe the floor with the horrors. The plaguebeasts knocked the horrors down a little bit, and the Fiends and Hounds each traded one wound, which meant the fiends lost by 1 (number) but held.

I am going to break at this point, as I have some work to do now (the problem with writing these things at work is that they occasionally expect you to accomplish something.) The rest will follow shortly, I promise. Its not too late to place your bets just yet.

Briohmar
11-06-2009, 11:03
Turn 3
The turn started out for the dwarves in a crappy way. The boltthrower failed its second consecutive stupidity test, and moved backalmost to its original position (not sure how to play a stupid warmachine, but since its a skirmish unit, we just rolled a scatter die, and moved that direction.) The Long Beards declared the flank charge on the Seekers, but failed their fear test. The ironbreakers wanted to charge the flank of the 'nettes, but (though I didn't put it on the graphic well, ) they were on the reverse slope of the hill, and we determined they were not in line of sight. The plaguebearers with herald, however, and no dificulty. Both units of thunderers were able to rally however. The clan warriors moved towards the other 'nettes, the screamers drifted casually over the fleshhounds, the Tzeentch herrald moved into a good casting position, relatively safe from charges, and the gyro flew over the building to get a shot at the Slaanesh herald on chariot. magic commenced with the Tzeentch herald failing to cast flickering fire, then the Slaanesh herald failed to cast slicing shards at the flamers, and finally, the banner, which would have done some massive damage, was dispelled. Only the grudge thrower was in any position to shoot, so it launched its rock high and Bam! it hit the ceiling of the chamber and slammed right back down onto the machine, smashing it and all the crew. Close combat saw the plaguebeasts reduce the horrors down to one remaining little blob, who miraculously held his grip on reality. The heralds challenged one another, but it was the Nurgleite, with the gift of T5, who was left standing, however, the Daemonettes chopped up three plaguebearers and took no wounds in return, thus the 'nettes won the combat, and another two bearers returned to the warp. The fight between fleshhounds and fiends was a wash as well, with neither side causing a wound, and the outnumbered fiend easily holding onto reality.

The Bloodthirster roared into battle, hitting the plaguebearers in the flank, while the Daemonettes charged the clan warriors, the fleshhounds charged the screamers, the Khorne herald again charged the thunderers who again opted to flee, but only went 2" and were run down under the flaming wheels of the chariot, and the seekers again charged the other thunderers who again failed their fear test and fled from the battle. The screamers flew over the boltthrower crew, but failed to wound anything but the weapon itself and the flamers moved out of the immediate path of the 'nettes. (Please excuse my for a second, my lovely wife just got back from the store and brought me a whopper with cheese.):D Having basically achieved magical superiority, the mages let fly. Both units of horrors cast flickering fire at the long beards, but both were dispelled. The Horrors unleashed with with Gift of Chaos, and killed a plaguebeast, the gyro copter, an iron breaker and two clan warriors. The chariot mounted herald flickered the other Tzeentch herald and wounded him, and then the banner of change wounded the chariot, two screamers, and the another clan warrior. shooting saw off three more ''nettes. Finally, CC saw the runesmith refuse the challenge against the Slaanesh herald, and so the herald and 'nettes tried to kill some warriors instead. 15 attacks later, one lone warrior fell to their embrace, but the stubborn banner allowed them to hold steady. The fleshhounds finished off the screamers easily. The bloodthirster's flaming blade made short work of the Nurgle herald, and the daemonettes chopped up several more, leaving the last two to fade away in a mist of slime and muck. Finally, the flesh hounds beat up the fiend bad, causing two unanswered wounds, and the fiend popped out of existence in a shower of sparkles and perfume.

Wow, this turn came out pretty decisive for the combined daemons. I will finish soon, but have to relinquish the computer to the wife right now.

Briohmar
11-06-2009, 11:18
Turn 4

For a third straight turn, the boltthrower failed its stupidity test. The iron breakers and long beards both reformed to face the greatest possible challenges. The plaguebeasts turned around and headed for the horrors, the herald of Slaanesh left her unit (I was kind of unsure as to why this happened, but it did, so we'll roll with it.) The Herald on chariot moved to get the best position for Gift of Chaos, and the Fleshhounds turned around and headed for the seekers. Gift of chaos was cast, and it looked good (a 15 for the casting number) I was really hesitant to roll that many dice, but my partner remembered he had a dispell scroll left, so we used that instead. The Organ gun tried to light up the screamers, but misfired. The runesmith finally accepted the challenge from the Slaanesh herald, and was killed outright (rolls of a 2 and 1 for armor saves.) The fleshhounds charged into the flank of the clan warriors while the furies charged the organ gun. We did some maneuvering to line up charges for next turn, or better facilitate magic. Magic saw flickering fires on the Daemonettes and longbeards both dispelled, but a third casting on the plaguebeasts was let through, and reduced them down to one beast with two wounds. The Banner of gift was dispelled, but the horrors got theirs through and finished off the last plaguebeast. this left the Tzeentch herald with line of sight to the Herald of Slaanesh, who got zapped (and killed) with the final spell of the turn. The screamers killed an iron breaker, and the flamers reduce the 'nettes down to 5 (good shooting, bad ward saves.) The furies wiped out the organ gun crew, and the hounds and 'nettes killed a couple of clan warriors, but still they held.

Turn 5

The bolt thrower finally passed its stupidity test, while the 'nettes and long beards charged the horrors, and the two re,aimimg fleshhounds charged the seekers. Magic was completely shut down, so on to shooting. The bolt thrower skewered the bloodthirster for 2 wounds. Close combat saw the BSB herald make short work of the fleshhounds, but the long beards and 'nettes both crushed their respective horror units. and the combined might of herald, 'nettes and fleshhounds did in the remaining clan warriors. The bloodthirster and 'nettes charged the bolt thrower, the herald of Khorne charged the herald of Tzeentch, and the seekers and bsb charged the rear of the long beards, who again failed their fear test, but had the numbers to hold. Magic saw two flickering fires dispelled, as well as the banner of change. The screamers and flamers however eradicated the few remaining 'nettes. The Thane with rune of challenge stepped up to the Slaanesh BSB, and was cut down nastily. the remaining seekers and beasts killed several more long beards who ran just as fast as their tiny little legs could go, but to no avail, as the seekers were waaay faster. The Khorne herald butchered the Tzeentch herald, and the blood thirster and nettes cut down the bolt thrower crew.

There really wasn't much reason to play out the last turn, as all that remained was the iron breakers with BSB which we weren't going to charge. We had cut down both enemy generals, one BSB, one complete army, and the majority of the second. We had three captured banners and three table quarters. we had lost three units of 10 horrors, one unit of 7 furies half a unit of flesh hounds, the Slaanesh General, and 2 fiends. End result: Massacre to the combined Daemon forces.

Lionel's dice really deserted him this game. He failed almost every critical leadership test, most on unmodified 9s (just the one under the influence of the banner of despair.) The least decisive factor of the game was the bloodthirster. His contributions to the fight were the killing of a nurgle herald, he didn't even kill the whole bolt thrower crew, though the daemonettes did finish it off. If he had taken a fourth herald and plussed up the horror units, maybe added something else to his specials, I think his army would have been a lot better. Oh well.

Briohmar
06-07-2009, 01:46
Wow! The Threadomancer strikes again.

OK, after almost a month of vacation, work, and cancelled tournaments, I finally managed to get in a game. This was a game I had been looking forward to for a long time. My first match against the new Lizardmen. Things to date had conspired to block me from fighting the cold-blooded beasts, and it almost looked like yesterday's game was not going to happen either, but, I'm happy to say, it did.

That being said, here are the armies:

Lizardmen

Oldblood on Carnosaur, lots of armor, sword of no armor saves,

Skink Priest on Ancient Steg, Magic item of extra spell and extra power die, dispel scroll, Engine #1

Skink Priest on Ancient Steg, Plaque of extra dispel die, dispel scroll, Engine # 2

3 X 10 Skink Skirmishers with blowguns

5 Terradons

3 Razordons

Briohmar's Daemons of Fluffy non-dairiness:

Herald of Slaanesh, Etherblade, BSB, Icon of Despair, Steed of Slaanesh

Herald of Slaanesh, Siren Song, Alure of Slaanesh

14 Daemonettes, Aluress, Banner of Ecstacy

19 Horrors, Icon of Sorcery

6 Furies

7 Furies

4 Flamers

2 Fiends

Pre-Battle Thoughts:

This is going to be tough, I know I can wipe the floor with his 5 units, especially since I actually outnumber him (how's that for a change, a Daemon army with superior numbers, bet that doesn't happen too often.) What worries me is my lack of hitting power against three dinosaurs. I know I need to sacrifice some lesser minions to kill the priests, but I don't think I can take down any of the big animals, except maybe with the etherblade heralds. If, however, I can get the BSB into contact with a steggie, I can probably break it, as stubborn on a 4 ain't so great. We'll see.

Briohmar
07-07-2009, 07:13
Set Up:

First off, let me say, I had never expected to outnumber the lizards, both by unit and model count. I think this says a lot about how this thing is likely to go. The Lizard player won the side choice, and deployed (from left to right) 10 Skinks, Terradons behind the building, 10 Skinks screening for both Stegs and the Carnosaur, Razordons, and 10 Skinks.

I deployed my gals a little more evenly across the board with 7 Furies and the Fiends on the hill, then the Horrors, 'Nettes with Siren Herald, (more on this a bit later,) General's 'Nettes, 6 Furies, and BSB with Seekers.

Turn 1:

The Lizzies won the roll for starting, pretty much assured as he definitely got the plus 1 for less units. He decided to castle up on the right flank, with only the Skinks and monsters actually advancing very far. The right hand skinks swapped spots with the Razordons, but both actually came about 5" forward, which meant they were at 19" (Charge range for me.) Magic was uneventful, as the Priests tried to doombolt and thunderbolt my Flamers, both were dispelled. He did cast the ward save on the monsters though. The Razordons attempted to shoot the Seekers, but decided they were hungry instead, and ate a couple of Skinks. Everything else was out of range. The Daemons responded less than predictably. Yes, the Seekers declared a charge against the Razordons. (Aha! You've fallen for my trap!" said the Lizardmen. Oh Ho! I have the banner of you can't shoot me! cried the Seekers. Oh Crap! lamented the lizards.) The Furies also decided to charge the Skinks, figuring they had a chance to beat them, and possibly pursue into the Terradons. (This was a spur of the moment decision, as I already had planned to Siren in the Terradons with the Herald and 'Nettes. It sort of worked, and sort of not worked. Magic phase saw the Slaanesh Herald cast stupidity on the Carnosaur, which drew out the first dispel scroll. Then came the Horrors blasting the Skink screen, killing 2, and then the Herald of Tzeentch did the same. (At this point, I was a little confused, he let both Flickering Fires through, without even attempting to dispel. It turns out he was anticipating a lot more magic than I actually had, and so was holding his dice against the really nasty spells, which I didn't have.) Shooting saw the Flamers actually put a wound on the Carnosaur. Finally, close combat saw the Seekers and Herald kill two of the three Razordons, and seriously injure the last one. Thus, with 8 wounds, 2 Banners, and out-number, the skinks took off at a run. The Seekers pursued, but couldn't catch them. (This is called foreshadowing. On three dice for pursuit, I only rolled a 7, thus the Razordons were able to get away. It is foreshadowing because it is the primer for how my dice would start to turn.) The Furies also dispatched a slew of Skinks and pursued them into the Terradons, but not before catching them.

Turn 2

(This is where it all starts to go wrong.) The Lizards had no charges to declare, so went straight into normal moves. The Razordon and Skinks failed their rally test (Gods I love that -2 Ld Banner) and fled the field. The Skink Screen advanced towards the Flamers, with the Monster Mash staying pretty close behind, except for the Carnosaur, who decided to move towards the Seekers. Magic saw both engines flare, killing 1 Flamer and wounding another (Whoo Hoo! I actually made several Ward saves! Maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all. Yeah right.) One of the Priests then let lose with Doombolt, rolling an 8. I can do this, and rolled three dice result in an 8 as well, except of course it was a 6 and two 1's, epic fail. End result, second Flamer gone, and a wound on a third. The Other Skink let fly with Thunderbolt against the 'Nettes, which I promptly used my spell breaker on. Shooting saw the 4 skinks fire on the Flamers, but fail to wound, and the other Skinks fire on the 'Nettes, wounding two. Finally, Close Combat saw the Furies manage a single wound against the Terradons, and losing tragically. The Daemonic response was still surprising to the Lizards. Only one unit charged, which was the furies into the Skinks. He took a close look at the line up, and was happy, as it meant the Furies would be pursuing into his Carnosaur. I looked at the line up and was happy, as it meant my Furioes would be pursuing into his Carnosaur. I know, some would think this was a bad thing, but it would mean that his lord would be held in place for another turn, which would let me get my Seekers into a better position to strike at either a Steg or the Lord. The Other units all moved forward into esthetically pleasing positions (we are primarily Slaaneshi after all.) Magic saw things really go awry. A casting of stupidity drew out the second dispel scroll. The Herald of Tzeentch let go with Flickering Fire, which the Lizards let go through again, and caused 3 S2 hits, with not a wounds amongst them. The Horrors also tried Flickering fire with yet another epic fail, yep Snake Eyes. Of course for the number of Horrors lost to the miscast, a 6. No shooting, saw on to CC. The Furies wiped the floor with their Skink adversaries, and pursued into the Carnosaur.

Turn 3:

The Terradons found themselves lulled into a false sense of security by the swwet song of the Slaanesh Herald, and off they went to charge the 'Nettes. The Carno was already in contact, so no worries there, and the two Stegs moved to where they could cause the most damage to what they saw as their biggest threats, the Flamers and Seekers. The four remaining Skinks also moved to shoot at the Seekers. the Engines Flared, but failed to wound the Flamers, the Seekers were a different story, and 4 of them vanished in a puff of perfume scented smoke. Doombolt failed to cast, and Thunderbolt went off against the General's 'Nettes, killing 3. (Yep, this is the story of my life, I roll 9 ward saves and make 2.) Shooting from the Steg saw 3 hits, all of which wounded, two on the Seeker Standard, and one on the Herald BSB. Naturally, I failed all three wards. Finally, the 4 Skinks fired, needing 6's to hit, three of the four hit, poison taking its toll, and I managed to make one of the three wards here, but the Herald was done for. The Furies managed to wound the Carnosaur, but all but one fell to the riposte, and naturally, I rolled a 9 for the test, and away the last one went. (Ouch! In one turn, 25% of my army just vanished, and I was doing so well up to this point. Not to mention my one real hope of taking down a Steggy just vanished as well.) The one bright spot of the turn was that the Herald and 'Nettes outright killed 4 Terradons, and ran the final one down. The Daemons again had little to do now with the removal of all but the three monsters, and not a lot of chance to harm them. They still moved a bit, to try to get something going. Magic and shooting saw everyone unleash everything they had at the Stegs, with a net result of 1 dead skink.

Malorian
07-07-2009, 22:04
Where is the last half of the report?

Briohmar
08-07-2009, 02:29
Sorry Mal, I am on the crappy work shift again, and it has taken me a while to finish. Here you go.

Turn 4:

The monster mash re-assembled near the center of the batllefield. Both Steggies came back together to provide mutual support, while the Carnosaur also moved towards the apparent main conflict. The 4 remaining Skinks moved to protect the flank of the Carnosaur as well. The engines lashed out at the Horrors and Fiends, but in the end only wounded 1 horror, while the shooting was less effective still. The Fiends recognized an opportunity to cause some significant damage, and charged both Stegs. While both units of 'Nettes and the Flamers drew closer to the main fight as well. The Herald of Tzentch successfully cast gift of chaos, and succeeded in wounding the Carnosaur again, but failed to do any damage to either Steg. Shooting saw the Flamers try to hurt the Carnosaurus as well, but failing to wound. The first Fiend unleashed its 4 attacks on the Thunderbolt Skink Priest, and killing him outright, the second tried as well, but only caused a single unsaved wound on the doombolt Priest. The Stegs responded violently crushing one of the fiends, but the Fiends held together to fight another round.

Turn 5:

The Carnosaur charged the flank of the Fiend, which was a good call on his part, as the fiends were looking like my last hope for victory. The Engine Flared, but failed to wound either the Fiends or the Flamers. The few remaining Skinks fired on the 'Nettes with no discernable results. The Carno crushed the last Fiend, and overran into the Horrors. Uh-Oh! The 'Nettes charged the Skinks, who held, and the Flamers, in a fit of near despondency, charged the rear of the Steggies. Magic Saw the Herald of Tzeentch again cast Gift of Chaos, which wounded a Skink crewman, and killed the Carno, at least his lord was now on foot. The Oldblood challenged the Herald, who retreated to the rear, and then killed 3 Horrors instead, resulting in a draw. The Flamers lashed out at the remaining Priest, and killed him, hooray! The rest of the force only caused a single wound, which I somehow managed to save. The 'Nettes sliced through the skinks, and headed towards the center.

Turn 6:

The Lizards were down to two dinosaurs and a lord on foot, with the two steggies held in combat by the flamers. The Horrors were down to a single rank, so the Herald of Tzeentch accepted the challenged and died. This meant the combat was a draw, and would continue, but the Horrors were down to only 4. The Steggies killed the Flamers, but their job was done anyways, they had held the beasts in place. The Daemons didn't charge, there was no magic, and the Oldblood killed two Horrors, but the two remaining held.

Holy Cats! That was close! I was sure I was doomed in turn three with the loss of my BSB and Seekers. Calculating the results, we discovered I had two quarters, he had 1. No one had captured any banners, as he had none, and my Seekers were blown up rather than sliced up. I had killed 1110 points, and he had killed 1101. Thus end results a draw in my favor by 109 points.

Briohmar
12-07-2009, 08:20
I get to take on Andre with his Dark elves today. I am looking forward to it. We are using the Tournament restirctions that of no lord, no more than 3 spellcasters, no double rares, and no triple specials. This means I should be facing a combat character with the pendant, a BSB with regen in a unit of guard with ASF, a lot of Shades, 1 hydra, and two boltthrowers. Not too bad, but he will definitely use every nasty thing he can. He always does.

Briohmar
18-07-2009, 07:41
well, I did manage to get in two games last week, but do to a healthy dose of reality at work, I didn't get a chance to write either one up. The first was against Andre's Dark Elves, but they weren't quite as hard as I predicted. he ran three units of Dark Riders with RXB's two units of 5 Shades, one with Assassin with throwing Stars and Manbane, three Level 2 Sorceresses, a Noble on Dark Pegasis, 2 chariots, a Hydra and 2 bolt throwers. At the end of the game, I had both units of Daemonettes down to half strength, the horrors still intact, the Herald of Tzeentch, the General, and the Siren Herald still alive, Means I lost the Seekers, both units of Furies, the BSB Herald, and the Fiends. Andre had one unit of Riders, 1 chariot (at half strength,) The Assassin and Shades, one bolt thrower, and two Sorceresses left. We each had one table quarter as well, but I had his general. Thus the end result was 1340 to 1201. Draw in my favor by 139 points. I neutralized his Hydra in the early going, at least keeping it from shooting, and the BSB caused both Chariots to fail stupidity in the early going, resulting in solid charges against both, destoting one, but the other held against the BSB herald, and killed him off. Also, I sirened one unit of Riders, who chose to flee, but were unable to rally in Turn 2, due to the proximity of the BSB, and they headed for the hills. The Herald general managed to finally catch one of the sorceresses on turn 6, and kill her in the final phase of the game. It was close.

The second game, I dusted off my Warriors and went against a Bloodthirster of Tzeentch. I was able to get Gateway off on turn 2 and reduce the Bloddthirster to 1 wound, and on turn 3, I Gatewayed the Herald of Khorne on Chariot, completeely eradicating him. The following magic phase, however, the Tzeentch Herald managed to get off Glean Magic with IF, and killed my Tzeentch Exalted Sorcerer with Gateway. My Giant killed off 6 Screamers, half points for a Herald of Tzeentch BSB on Chariot, at least until he was assisted by the Blood Thirster. The Giant struck first and Chomped the Thirster, but he made his ward, and unleashed killing the Giant, who fell over on top of the Thirster, and dragged him down to hell with him. My unit of Slaanesh Knights was killed on turn three by a combined charge of the Thirster and Khorne Herald on Chariot, leaving only the Slaanesh Sorcerer who fled, and was charged turn 4 by the Thirster, and slaughtered. At the end of the game, I had 1/2 strength Nurgle Knights, 2 Marauder Horsemen, Nurgle Sorcerer, and 1 untouched unit of Marauder Horse left, while he had 1 unit of 10 Horrors, 6 Flamers, and the Herald of Tzeentch BSB on Chariot left. End result, Draw in his favor by 22 points.

The Highlight of the day was the giant falling over on the Thirster, making the 4+ roll to hit, the 4+ roll to wound, and the Thirster Failing his ward Save.It was Awesome.

Club is closed this week, so I may just go down to the Basement and play my Warriors against Daemons at 3999 points tonight. I should hope to achieve a draw.

vinny t
18-07-2009, 16:35
Haha, go giant!!! TThat'll teach your opponent for taking a thirster!

Briohmar
16-08-2009, 20:47
Well, to all of my loyal readers...

First off, haven't had a game in weeks again, so no report.

Second, I am going to let this one slip away, as all of my stuff will be going away for close to three months. (I am moving from Belgium to Alaska, and shipping takes a very long time.) Thus, all of my armies are being packed away in their cases for the trip. Here's hoping they won't suffer too much damage.

I am keeping my old GW case with me, filled with a Flames of war Afrika Korps army that I have had for nearly three years and still haven't gotten around to painting. I am keeping them out because they only required 6 colors to be kept out, so the rest of my paint set can also be shipped.

Once I get established in the new locale (There are two stores that sell GW in Fairbanks) and find some new opponents, I will start a new series of reports.

Thanks for all the support in keeping this going for the better part of a year.

Rob

Kerill
17-08-2009, 04:36
Good luck in Alaska.

Malorian
17-08-2009, 17:57
Hope the move goes well and hope nothing breaks on the way.

I'm sure all of us (your loyal fans) will be here when you're able to make battle reports again ;)