PDA

View Full Version : Slann shooting?

RiTides Nids
09-02-2009, 16:29
Hi,

So the new codex says a Slann's line of sight is worked out "as if" he was a large target (but he is not one). My only problem is, I'm just learning the rules to fantasy and on pg 28 of the rulebook the only thing mentioned about large targets it +1 to shoot at them.

Where do I find out what being a large target means for the Slann's magic-casting purposes? He can shoot out of his own unit of temple guard, certainly, but can he shoot over other friendly squads? Can he shoot over enemy squads?

It also specifically says that as long as he is not in base-to-base contact, he can still fire magic missiles while his unit of temple guard are in combat. Does that mean he can shoot over the enemy squad in combat with them?

Last question, if he casts The Burning Head (which hits each model in a direct path for 18" resolved much in the same way as a bouncing cannonball) while in combat, would it hit the enemy unit right in front of him on its way to another squad? Would it even (doesn't seem to make sense since he's a large target so basically on a hill?) hit one of his own temple guard right in front of him?

My last question is unrelated- does it say somewhere in the rules that a Carnosaur is a "monster" and so cannot join a unit of saurus calvary? I've been looking and looking, and I don't see it... and since he is no longer a large target, it seems like a good idea if it was allowed, but doesn't seem like it should be legal.

Thanks!!!

theunwantedbeing
09-02-2009, 16:34
1. page 9
2. page 110
3. page 112
4. page 58

nickdahkwik
09-02-2009, 16:42
i know this is the total wrong spot to place this but.....how am i able to post a NEW THREAD? i posted 2 or more and checked out FAQ stuff do i need permission of some sort to post a Thread??? please help thanks!

Asmodiseus
09-02-2009, 16:50
i know this is the total wrong spot to place this but.....how am i able to post a NEW THREAD? i posted 2 or more and checked out FAQ stuff do i need permission of some sort to post a Thread??? please help thanks!

The server doesnt update automatically so you may have to wait a couple hours for it to register that you do indeed meet the 2 post minimum.

RiTides Nids
09-02-2009, 17:15
Theunwantedbeing- thanks for the references, that gets most of it.

RiTides Nids
09-02-2009, 17:26
I have an unrelated question that I'll piggyback onto this, since you answered most of mine already- on page 122 of the rulebook, it says "in a similar way to scrolls" it is possible for a wizard to carry more than one powerstone, in addition to one other arcane item.

Can I take powerstone, scrolls, AND one other arcane item? (I'm thinking no, since powerstone and scrolls are separate arcane items). The thing that gives me pause is that under scrolls it says (page 121) that a wizard can have one other arcane item as well as carry several scrolls. But I guess the powerstone is still another arcane item ;). Confirmation on this?

Dokushin
09-02-2009, 17:33
I've never really thought about it that way, but I'm sure anyone would play you can take scrolls, stones, and another arcane.

The logic as I see it works like this: I have a scroll, so I can have another item. That item is a Power stone. That power stone says I can have another item. That item is a zapstick, or whatever.

Neckutter
09-02-2009, 19:41
ive always read it to mean that scrolls/power stones are arcane items that dont count toward your arcane item limit since they say that you can carry one other arcane item.

which i hope is the way its worded, since i have been playing my vamp lord for about a year with 3 power stones. :)

so yeah, i read it the same way as dokushin.

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 01:59
ive always read it to mean that scrolls/power stones are arcane items that dont count toward your arcane item limit since they say that you can carry one other arcane item.

which i hope is the way its worded, since i have been playing my vamp lord for about a year with 3 power stones. :)

so yeah, i read it the same way as dokushin.

Hmmmm....reading it scolls allow multiple scrolls, and of different types, to be taken by a wizard and allows another arcane item to be taken. Power Stones do the same.

So by the looks of things, if you have some scrolls and then a power stone, that's it, no more arcane items. Each allows one other arcane item to be taken and by taking both you satisify this condition.

Lord Dan
10-02-2009, 02:11
1. page 9
2. page 110
3. page 112
4. page 58

I like that format. We should make it official.

-Ask your question(s) with numbered points
-We answer with page numbers corresponding to those numbers

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 03:09
that would be fine, but in the future we would haveta also include WHICH BOOKS correspond to those pages. :P

example:
1. page 9, BRB.
2. page 10, LM armybook

and so on.

RiTides Nids
10-02-2009, 05:30
Hmmmm, well that's two different opinions on the scroll/power stone question. I was planning to take a Slann with an arcane item, several power stones, and a dispel scroll... any other opinions on this, or links to somewhere where it has been addressed already?

I guess most people might have a second wizard to carry the scrolls, but I wasn't planning to, so I wanted to see if both could be included on the slann along with another arcane item. If they can't... I'll probably just go with the power stones.

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 05:42
The wording of each item is "May take one other arcane item". Neither item say that they do not use up the arcane item choice.

Because of this wording, you can take a scroll and then a stone, which is another arcane item....or you can take a stone and a scroll, which is another arcane item. There's no way in the wording to get a third arcane item.

Remember, that while you can have multiple types of scrolls, plus an additional arcane item, Power Stones are not class as scrolls and therefor can't be classed as a single arcane choice with scrolls.

havoc626
10-02-2009, 06:07
Many people play it that you can have, say 1 Dispel Scoll and as many Power Stones as you can take, or 1 power stone and as many Dispel Scolls as you can take. That is, you can take multiple of one 'scroll' item, and just one more arcane item, reguarless of what it is.

Personally, I go with the 'it doesn't count as an arcane item' approach, mostly because it really doesn't make that much of a difference as a min. of 45pts are used for the PS and DS, so it isn't like it is game changing if you ask me. Plus, I mostly just play for fun, so I'm not bothered by that. I don't think GW has ever taken an official ruling on it, so until that happens, you really just need to agree to how it's played.

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 06:38
You can have as many scrolls and as many powerstones as you want, that's allowed in the rules. You jsut can't take a third arcane item.

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 06:46
i beg to differ. if taking a scroll lets you take another arcane item, and taking a power stone lets you take another arcane item, then taking another arcane item(diadem of power, lets say) would be another arcane item.

kinda like this:
you only get to use one shirt at a time.
"wife beater" taking this shirt, lets you take another shirt
"plain white tee" taking this shirt, lets you take another shirt
"button-up dress shirt" counts as a shirt.

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 07:20
I think I screwed up the wording from the BSB. From page 121:

"Wizards can have one arcane item as well as carry several scrolls"

And the power stone on page 122:

...in addition to one other arcane item"

I guess this goes both ways. Well done we have another perfectly grey area in the rules. So, does this mean:

Scrolls and stones grant an additional arcane item selections, meaning you can have 3 arcane item choices?

OR

Scrolls and stones can be paired with an arcane item, meaning that if taken together they are a pair of arcane items?

I'm with the last one. Scrolls let you have an additional arcane item, so I take a power stone. A power stone lets me have an additional arcane item, which I already have (the scrolls).

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 07:53
well if we ever play, my vamp lord carries 3 power stones, so get over it. :)