PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Characters

Asmodiseus
09-02-2009, 17:04
I play VC and recently I have been imposing a personal comp system on myself to try and make the games funner for both me and my opponent. In this comp system I require my character total to be not more than 10% more than my core total for my army. For example if my characters make up 40% of my total army point cost, then my core units have to make up 30%.

The problem is that Vampires cost so much that if I bring a typical array I am forced to bring a large amount of Infantry, which makes it very hard to bring a faster more offensive minded list. The only option I have is to really reduce the point investment in my characters, either under gearing them, or only bringing 2.

The question is can vampires compete on an equal level to most other armies with only 2 well geared or 3/4 minimally geared characters? Should I find another way to try and even the playing field to ensure that both parties have a good time? I am getting a bit tired playing a defensive infantry based list.

RossS
09-02-2009, 17:24
First, I want to commend you for what you are doing. It's a great idea.

And it is also manageable. The most important thing that you need to do is to optimize your Lord choice, and try not to spend the entirety of that over-generous allotment of points GW has given you. Try as hard as you can to bring the bloodline/magical equipment total in at 100 pts. Secondly, while Vampires are ridiculously expensive, Wights and Necromancers are not. Wights are, in my opinion, vastly superior warriors to Vamps, and Necros add the magical support you need, but don't cost a lot.

Really, you just need to exercise discipline.

madival
09-02-2009, 18:15
I do the same thing. If I spend 800 pts on charecter for 2k, I always spend 600 points in core to balance it. We have some of the best core units in the game (for the points) and most are well worth taking.

Asmodiseus
10-02-2009, 08:30
Yeah I agree we got great Core choices, I guess I'll just have to take Ross's advice practice disapline on my character selections if I want to get a more mobile army.