PDA

View Full Version : Non Imperial Humans Inspiration Required?

Hrw-Amen
09-02-2009, 18:39
I was considering another guard army, (In fact I still am.) but then had the idea of doing a human non Imperial army. Not a lost and the damned but just humans who are not in the Imperium. Now I realise that some people may consider humans who are not in the Imperium to be lost and damned, but I do not want any chaos powers or any of that stuff. Niether do I want an army that has decided to go its own way and leave the Imperium. I figured that with all the stars out there in the galaxy there has to be somewhere a planet settled aeons ago that the crusade never rediscovered. One that has only now come back into contact with its human ancestors, maybe through contact with a rougue trader or something.

But I don't just want it to be an Imperial Guard army without the imperial symbols. Now fairly obviously humans are humans and with the current availability of plastics from all manufacturer's it will not be hard to find something to represent different uniforms, but I was thinking about heavier weapons, tanks or the like. Anyone got any good ideas on what I could use? I was considering some type of techno blimps, like the things you see in those technologically advanced Victorian era sets of films like the 'Golden Compass.' But I am not sure, anyone got any other unique or unusual ideas?

DarkMatter2
09-02-2009, 18:59
Doing a steampunk style army would be a great idea and help set your faction apart.

There was a bit from the BOLS Macharius Campaign book about the planet of Adrantis Five, which were superadvanced humans which used the Tau codex. Might be something to look into...or maybe not.

The biggest thing you would have to do is explain why these particular humans are both in conflict with the Imperium and not crushed. And it can't be because they are teh uber hard.

Chem-Dog
09-02-2009, 19:00
Pick any army. Seriously.

The rest is simply how you pitch it. If you're running with a unique army that's got it's own fluff (like a previously undiscovered pre Imperial human settlement) then you can pretty much pick what you like, cruel Slave masters in biological war suits driving legions of fearful clone creatures ahead of them, Technologically advanced mercenaries who value nothing but cold hard currency or even a Collective of well armed stable psykers on a holy crusade to the cradle of humanity.

Pick a theme you like and run with it, choose a Codex that closely fits they style you want to use (or that can be bent to your purpose), pick the pertinent units and ignore the rest.

Just be prepared to spend extra on this unique army and consider your own staying power when picking units and designing them, 30 robed human warriors standing in for a squad of Termagants might sound fantastic, but will you feel the same after buying 15 boxes of plastic squads/regiments to get all the necessary bits? Will you feel that way after you realise you need another 2 identical squads??

Doppleskanger
09-02-2009, 19:01
Got this from Lexicanium. Have been thinking it was an interesting piece of background. Maybe you could use the Tau Codex and leave out the crisis suits and gun drones and stuff?

The Interex were a highly advanced Human civilisation during the time of the Great Crusade.

Overview
The Interex maintained a close alliance with alien races such as the Kinebrach. They were encountered by the Luna Wolves during the Great Crusade. The technology of the Interex was in many ways more advanced than that of the Imperium's, but was not as strongly focused on the waging of war. Devoted to fighting chaos, they regarded the 63rd expedition sceptically, as they thought they might be tainted by it. As Horus halted his attacks on the Interex, and the Heresy began shortly after, it's unknown if they were ever destroyed.

EvisRaptor
09-02-2009, 19:04
for the techno blimp thing you may want to check japanese cartoon "the last exile" as that will give you some ideas for the look of the things

theimp
09-02-2009, 19:18
The current expectations for tactical advancements in reality focus on integrating communications technologies better, upgrading weapon systems, and replacing humans with advanced drones in every role possible. Here's an interesting article from the Brookings Institute (http://www.brookings.edu/articles/2008/0502_iron_man_singer.aspx) that might give you some points of departure to work from.

Back in the day there was a poster on Portent that had some great concept art for bulky powered armor suits with sonic weaponry that he was developing for an alternate human faction. I have no idea how you would find them but they were really cool.

kikkoman
09-02-2009, 20:15
Anyone got any good ideas on what I could use? I was considering some type of techno blimps, like the things you see in those technologically advanced Victorian era sets of films like the 'Golden Compass.' But I am not sure, anyone got any other unique or unusual ideas?

A different aesthetic would be rounded armor and a heavy industrial sort of look. Like 60's military vehicles but with legs.

Junk Tank Rock series of models:
http://thenewcaferacersociety.blogspot.com/2008/02/junk-tank-rocks-monobike.html

http://members.ytv.home.ne.jp/j.t.r/

There's also the Maschinen Krieger line, power armor, robots, flyers.
http://www.maschinenkrueger.com/

These are larger than 40k scale though, but an idea of an aesthetic difference possible for guardsmen vehicles.

waiyuren
09-02-2009, 21:38
I was just thinking this the other day..... :)

The idea i came up with was a kind of tau/marines/guard mix, using the aesthetic look of the "heavy Gear" world. Grunts and tanks, huge humaniod armoured walkers... It wouldn't be too hard to make a Crisis suit look like a 'gear... With Dreadnought rules.

Kyrios
09-02-2009, 22:56
Thats a broken army if I ever saw one...

Killgore
09-02-2009, 22:57
Siege of Vraks renegade list in IA 5 or 6 could be of interest to you

good mix of human guardsmen (trator but you can ignore that) and numerous other chaosie units that can be renamed/ remodeled to a more apropiate non chaos theme

Moriarty
09-02-2009, 23:23
Combination of 'primitive' humans as mercenaries/janissaries with more 'advanced' aliens providing the interstellar transport?

waiyuren
10-02-2009, 20:31
Thats a broken army if I ever saw one...

Only if you make it broken.... The force organisation would be roughly one transport for every squad of 12, two squads in a platoon, ten platoons in a company.
Each company has a number of 'Gears available to it depending on its role, but no more than 3 could be fielded (due to being elite).
(And a 'Gear would have to be nearly twice the price of a Dread' as it has the option of both "walker" and "Vehicle" movement.)

What would REALLY be broken, is if you included Landships... A giant skimmer several hundred meters long fitted out with dozens of high-yeild kill toys?

That would be over 1k on its own...

Hrw-Amen
11-02-2009, 13:13
Thanks for all the input. I like the idea of rounded armour, I was thinking of grav tanks but wanted something different to Elder or Tau, something that looke more like a 'tank' but without tracks or wheels as that would still betray a more human origin.

I have seriously considered the blimp idea and although i like the look i've seen in serveral films, (Not to mention Dr Who.) it just somehow seams a little bit Squat like and done befre. (Then I guess most things have been by someone.)

A steam / pink idea may be good but having something that can stand up well against a modern, (40K) army and look the part of still being steam(?) I'm not sure it would be that obvious it was steam at all?

Anyway there are a few things to think of.

Thanks.