PDA

View Full Version : On the topic of Daemons...

ChaplainVarnus
09-02-2009, 17:51
How are daemons summoned? On DC it has some some sort of whacky ritual involving iron spikes and blood making the 8-pointed star on the floor, in lots of theories they just appear from Warp Rifts from the Daemon Realm/Warp, and some say that they spring from the icons of CSM depending on which god it's the mark of. I'm starting a Daemon army and I want to know if it's ritual or what to make a Sacrificial Pit on my gaming board. :confused: Ideas?

Cygnusmaximus
09-02-2009, 18:39
It's all of the above.

As it's Chaos, I'm sure they don't have a single, set ritual for summoning; so you can use your imagination there.

And sometimes the warp does split open for whatever reason and tons of daemons burst through. This could be a warp-capable ship malfunction, due to some ancient technology, a ritual, or a psyker losing control.

I'm not sure what makes Chaos Marine icons work the way they do, probably some pre-battle ritual. But they do work, and that's all that matters.

AdeptusOverton
09-02-2009, 18:44
It's all of the above.

As it's Chaos, I'm sure they don't have a single, set ritual for summoning; so you can use your imagination there.

And sometimes the warp does split open for whatever reason and tons of daemons burst through. This could be a warp-capable ship malfunction, due to some ancient technology, a ritual, or a psyker losing control.

I'm not sure what makes Chaos Marine icons work the way they do, probably some pre-battle ritual. But they do work, and that's all that matters.

Yep thats pretty much it.One more avenue though cant a Aspiring champion or Lord enter into a Daemonic Pact i.e Daemons summoned as help for a price at a later time??

baphomael
10-02-2009, 03:51
Basically, Daemons enter the material realm when the fabric between the material realm and the warp is weakened or breached. This can be for a number of reasons. Chaos rituals are an obvious example, creating conditions that allow daemons to enter into the physical realm. Possession is another, turning a material object into conduit for warp energy. Psykers, too, can be open doors to the warp - their heads are literally doorways into the warp the psyker has to mentally hold closed. Sometimes they just arnt strong enough or they weaken from mental fatigue.
Natural disaster can account for daemons entering the physical world as well - warp storms can cause all kinds of realspace/warpspace disruption. Likewise, warp related accidents can bring similar effects about (collapsing warp-drives etc).

Sometimes, its just bad luck. A particularly horrifying conflict with chaos forces can naturally weaken the barriers between the warp and realspace. For example, a massive decade long war resulting in billions dead, mass disease etc etc might just attract the eye of the Gods a little too closely. This turbulance of emotions this causes within the warp can end up breaching realspace.

What is necessary, however, is a pyschically saturated environment (through the energy spewed out of warpstorms and other warp breaches) or an 'anchor' to the physical world the daemons can be tied too (a summoning circle, a daemon-host, a consecrated battlefield) - something that saturates the a place or object with enough psychic energy to maintain a daemon's presence.

Of course, this is naturally a short lived affair. The warp's influence on the material realm waxes and wanes and eventually the laws of physical reality reassert themselves. Thus, the most stable way of daemons maintaining a presence in the material world is to be bound into a physical host (be it a living being or an object).

ChaplainVarnus
10-02-2009, 18:06
Thanks for the answers. I'll make some sort of iron-brass-spikey-Guardsman covered-monument for the board. Thank you again.:D

Tonberry
10-02-2009, 18:38
Ooh, I just thought of a pretty metaphor!
Take a piece of paper and hold it out, the space to one side of the paper is the material realm, the other side is the warp.
Pour water onto the paper, the water represents warp energy in the material realm, built up through psykers/rituals/lots of killing/warp drive accidents etc.
When there's too much water (warp energy) in a single place, the paper tears and thus the daemons are able to enter.
It sounded a lot better in my head...

HeraldOfTheFree
10-02-2009, 19:19
Take a piece of paper and hold it out, the space to one side of the paper is the material realm, the other side is the warp.
Pour water onto the paper, the water represents warp energy in the material realm, built up through psykers/rituals/lots of killing/warp drive accidents etc.
When there's too much water (warp energy) in a single place, the paper tears and thus the daemons are able to enter.

Quoted for its excellence :)

TheBigBadWolf
10-02-2009, 22:36
In the old days it partly had to do with numbers, sacred numbers for each of the gods, can't remember what they were now.

baphomael
11-02-2009, 00:25

Thats a pretty good analogy, actually.

In the old days it partly had to do with numbers, sacred numbers for each of the gods, can't remember what they were now.

Each god has a sacred number - Tzeentch is 9, 8 is Khorne, 7 is Nurgle and 6 is Slaanesh. A bit number of the beast 666 (or 616, but it doesnt have the same ring to it :P) style.