PDA

View Full Version : What kind of an army do you play with, painted or bare?

ankara halla
09-02-2009, 19:55
So, I see a lot of polls and threads about "do you mind playing against unpainted armies?" and whatnot, but with what kind of an army do you play with?

Is it fully painted, mostly painted, what?

Personally, I play with a fully painted army. A purely personal choice, as I'm narcisstic enough to like the look of my minies as they roam the battlefield, but I have no problems whatsoever in playing against unpainted armies.

EDIT: Yes, the options include basing and stuff as appropriate

EDIT 2: Just to clarify, regarding basing. Some people really stress this, and if done right, it really looks magnificent.

I'm a minimalist myself. After putting texture on I just paint it and drybrush it twice or thrice over the base colour. A bit of flock (or something) and I'm done. For characters and dreads and such, I tend to add a little bit more detail, but too much would break the cohesive look of the army so I try to keep it pretty minimal too.

In short, I added it there not to emphasize the importance of basing in relation to the mini itself, but for a finished base to be considered a part of a fully painted miniature etc. etc.

x-esiv-4c
09-02-2009, 20:00
Fully painted and based.

Aegius
09-02-2009, 20:02
I used to play with fully painted armies, but my regular opponents play with barely painted armies. As a result, I will play with as many painted models as possible, but I won't lose any sleep if my latest list has a partially painted unit or two in it. I'd love to use a fully painted army, but with all the tailoring of lists that goes on amongst my group, I'd be left behind.

If I'm in a GW store or playing against people I don't know, then my armies are fully painted. I have voted unpainted in the poll as a majority of my games are against the same people with unpainted armies.

Ubermensch Commander
09-02-2009, 20:03
Depends on my army. My Dark Eldar are nearly all painted, My Claws of Cthulu 'Nids are fully painted, and my Space Marines are in this eternal limbo of being stuck as primered with one or two squads painted. Took to long to paint them as Ubermenschen and now they are going back to Salamanders with the new codex. And no, I am not taking Vulkan He'stan, simply the new Land Raider Redeemer and other models rekindled my affection for the burny little bastards....also I realized I was playing almost identical traits to Salamanders in 4th so I decided to stop pretending and just go full on Sallies again.

Reaver83
09-02-2009, 20:08
My CSM are fully painted now when they're out, my daemons are not fully painted, but I tend to only field painted units

AdeptusOverton
09-02-2009, 20:08
The one subject that is with me based on a matter of effort.

I love people who paint their armies take time to make that extra effort

But then you have the retards who are just in the hobby for something to do who heap unattractive unpainted half assembled models onto the table nothing grinds me more then a snot nosed 10-18 year old who goes "this is Abaddon he is teh best character I have" and im thinking no its not its a body without head or arms flopping on its base like a impotent swan.

Call me anal call me harsh im like that I like eye candy a focal point for chatting between turns and before and after a battle.

ard boy stu
09-02-2009, 20:09
I try to always paint before battles but with horde armys like orks the numbers of models to paint rack up quickly

Aegius
09-02-2009, 20:15
On a further note, My Imperial guard army has never seen the field of battle outside of 4th edition combat patrols. The reason being, it seems a shame to have such a potentially beautiful army on the table unpainted. One day I may get to use them, but in the meantime, I'll be using my marines and eldar as I have a million billion points of them painted.

Khornies & milk
09-02-2009, 20:26
Voted fully painted....but obviously when I buy new stuff and I have a game coming up and I want to use it, then Ill at least undercoat it.

Basing-wise, I don't go overboard, just some Grit and a painted rim. I used to go all out with pieces of building and such, but it looked bl***y stupid when played on a grass mat, so I'm now a minimalist.

ankara halla
09-02-2009, 20:36
Yeah, regarding basing. Some people really stress this, and if done right, it really looks magnificent.

I'm a minimalist myself too. After putting texture on I just paint it and drybrush it twice or thrice over the base colour. A bit of flock (or something) and I'm done. For characters and dreads and such, I tend to add a little bit more detail, but too much would break the cohesive look of the army so I try to keep it pretty minimal too.

In short, I added it there not to emphasize the importance of basing in relation to the mini itself, but for a finished base to be considered a part of a fully painted miniature etc. etc.

Bloodknight
09-02-2009, 20:51
Depends on the army.

My DeathGuard is 90% painted (I really need to do that last Obliterator ;))
My IG is fully painted when it comes to infantry, but not all my vehicles are done because I have to wait for better weather - I want to redo all of them with an airbrush, so I didn't start painting my recent additions with a brush.
My DE are currently being repainted and have not seen the field since I started with the new paintjob, I don't want two differently painted parts of my army on the table.
My World Eaters have not been played yet, and will only be when they are fully done. I shelled out quite an amount of money to make the army as Forgeworld as possible, and I am not going to spoil my fun by sending them into battle without paint.

As for WFB: I only own two WFB armies currently, and I've got my 4K of TK fully painted except for two tomb swarms which I don't use anyway, and my Dogs of War are painted to 7K, the rest waits for me to have my interest in WFB rekindled...

Theola
09-02-2009, 20:51
When I get around to it, I do like to paint, and I don't think I'm too bad, but I like playing the game much better. I've had my army about 2 months now and painted exactly 2 infantry guys. Most people I play with are in the same mindset, so it's not a big deal. I do have the burning desire to have a fully painted army one day, since our store has very nice terrain. It makes the minis look even worse in comparison.

Deadmetal
09-02-2009, 20:57
Mostly painted, hardly based.
Im basing and finishing about 2500 of 40K Choas atm, so I can reward my self with the Strike Force.

Jadmoroth
09-02-2009, 20:59
I always have to finish a unit before I play it. Bases-not so much

the1stpip
09-02-2009, 21:10
My Dark Eldar, Guard and SM are fully painted.

My Orks are nearly painted, so I have only been playing smaller games with them at the mo.

I put some detail into my bases (I have recently changed my basing technique), but I have no problem facing bare armies. If I used unpainted models, I would never have the motivation to paint them.

AdeptusOverton
09-02-2009, 21:11
Space Marines>>>Fully Painted 1000pts
World Eaters>>>Fully Painted 1000pts
Orks>>>Assembled but not painted am hopefully going to work on them tomorrow
in the army x1 Warboss (AoBR) 5 Nobz (AoBR heavily converted)
x1 Big Mek x3 Units of shoota Boyz x1 Deff Dread x20 Choppa Boyz(AoBR) x2 units of Grots and 2 Runtherds x5 Lootas x5 Burnas x1 Skullhamma

i.e loads to paint will be my largest army

Well when I say work on them tomorrow maybe if I dont have any outstanding wedding planning I have 3 weeks off work am in NYC next week for my Honeymoon but then have 8 days when I get back so if not tomorrow then maybe then. :D

eek107
09-02-2009, 22:04
It varies from week to week, as I make progress with the army I'm playing and depending on how much of it I'm using in any given game.

Generally, it's been less than half of them painted so far, but my armies aren't finished yet. More recently, they've been more than half painted.

Gussy
09-02-2009, 22:09
I will never play with a bare or even partially painted figures.

That's why I'm always limited in the kind of games that I can play! :)

Nym
09-02-2009, 22:16
I love to see my models painted, but you've got to be inhuman to paint 100+ Ork boyz (be it basic boyz or ones wearing fancy weapons). At the moment I have 5 boyz and the AoBR Warboss painted to a pretty high standard (for me), and it was a pain.

I have 3 squads, 3 sentinels and 1 Leman Russ painted in my Guard army, but again it's hard to find the motivation.

I'll probably have a fully painted Ork army by 2010 though, I'm forcing myself to paint at least 5 models a month !

march10k
09-02-2009, 22:33
Painting and basing go hand in hand for me...once a model is painted up to the knees (yeah, I paint them bottom up, to each his own), they get based. For me, there's no such thing as "I'll get around to basing them later"...it's just part of the process

brightblade
09-02-2009, 22:39
My 9000 points of Eldar are fully painted and based apart from one new squad which i won't use until fully painted. However I have been using my new Ork wandering lunatics (2500points or so) with only 75% painted but I am working hard to get it done before the Stompa comes out so I can concentrate on it.;)

The joy of a fully painted battle scenery and all....:)

InquisitorTyrannus
09-02-2009, 22:43
I always try to get fully painted armies out, makes things so much nicer on the table.

SquishySquig
09-02-2009, 22:51
I used to play with fully painted armies, but my regular opponents play with barely painted armies. As a result, I will play with as many painted models as possible, but I won't lose any sleep if my latest list has a partially painted unit or two in it. I'd love to use a fully painted army, but with all the tailoring of lists that goes on amongst my group, I'd be left behind.

If I'm in a GW store or playing against people I don't know, then my armies are fully painted. I have voted unpainted in the poll as a majority of my games are against the same people with unpainted armies.

:skull:This sums me up perfectly.:skull:

Moriarty
09-02-2009, 23:25
Only use painted figures in my games.

AdeptusOverton
09-02-2009, 23:31
Ok if im playing at home then maybe just maybe a unpainted mini will be used at the moment I am playing some stupidly large games against a novice 10 year old player and well come on you cant have everything painted

But smaller games like down GW and Aegius can testify to this I use my fully painted Marines (abeit not Studio standard but they are good neither the less) to play.

marv335
09-02-2009, 23:44
My catachan, tau, necron, are all fully painted and based.
My IG is primered, but in storage. (I might get them out for the next codex for a bit)
My Crimson fists are 75% done, but I have about 3 companies worth so I field fully painted armies on the tabletop.
My Orks (which are the ones in use at the moment) are in the process of getting done.
I painted a looted wagon and 15 stormboys the other day, I'm going to do the Burnas tomorrow.

Corrode
09-02-2009, 23:58
My Orks are maybe halfway painted. There's still a substantial segment of Da Armless Black Tide going on, but the number of painted models is slowly increasing. I'd wait to play until I had them all finished, but if I was going to do that I probably wouldn't play again til summer time and I'd like to get some games in.

victorpofa
10-02-2009, 01:08
I refuse to play an army until I have the force fully painted.

Based is another matter.

Gen.Steiner
10-02-2009, 01:18
Fully painted; based. Occasionally I'll use a mostly-painted model but I never ever use a naked non-undercoated model. At least one, usually three, colours on each model.

Aegius
10-02-2009, 01:28
One thing I've noticed is how liberal everyone seems in this thread compared to the 'would you play against an unpainted army' thread (myself included.). There are a lot of people on there saying that it is their money they have spent and how dare anyone tell them what to do with their models, whereas most of the people that have fully painted armies are being quite liberal, but saying that it would be nice if their opponent did the same thing.

*edit* come to think of it, I was thinking of the wysiwyg thread when I originally typed this post.

Gen.Steiner
10-02-2009, 01:35
That's the thing, though; I want my OWN army painted, or at the very least in the process of being painted - I don't mind about my opponents'. That's their army, their choice. I like seeing fully painted armies having at it, but I won't deny someone a game because of a lack of paint!

Filthy O'Bedlam
10-02-2009, 03:42
My Witch Hunters are 98% fully painted, My CSM are at about 80%. Luckily I play with a regular playing partner, so it's not really an issue. If I play at a store or an event, I make sure that my army is fully painted. Almost none has dynamic finished bases, mainly becuase the black bases contrast very well with our white playing surface, making measuring and templates easier. Plus I suck at basing.

Cheers, Filthy

SanguinaryDan
10-02-2009, 05:02
I always feel like I doing a disservice to my opponent if I put out models that aren't painted and based. Sometimes they may only be base colors (no highlighting or shading) but it's the only way for me.

I'm always happiest playing against a fully painted army. It's just more fun and it doesn't require any extreme additions to my "suspension of disbelief" levels. That's 99.99% filled by my Land Raider having, in scale, a 48 foot maximum range for it's laser cannon. :D

TrojanWolf
10-02-2009, 05:48
In the 1,000pt Ork list I've been using, the only models that aren't painted are Snikrot and his Kommandos (undercoated and base green skin) and the Grots (bare plastic). My 1,000pt Dark Eldar are fully painted, mostly because they've been that way for a good long while.

Unfortunately, I have a whole lot of Orks that are still unpainted. So... many... Orks... :cries:

CrownAxe
10-02-2009, 05:54
I don't care for painting. I'll do it if my group is doing it together because its more enjoyable but i prefer building models.

Usually i'm playing with a primed only army, with a few painted models here and there. I haven't really played at a LGS yet (don't have a car, would have to take a hour long bus ride 1 way to get there from where i live) and its only been with friends so it hasn' really mattered yet

Alx_152
10-02-2009, 05:56
Some of my armies are completely painted, some are bare metal/plastic.
If I play in the GW shop or some other public place, I prefer to play with painted armies.

So no vote from me.

Warpcrafter
10-02-2009, 06:20
I will not play with unpainted models. Because of this, my AoBR Orks are still a work in progress, mostly because I insist on using rubble and static grass on the bases and painting even the Boyz to a standard that I have never bothered with before. I want to quit trying to play at my FLGS because the only opponents I can find there are people who can't seem to get 1,000 points painted and when they do, they don't assemble their vehicles because they want to switch the weapons out. They keep saying they're going to magnetize them, but in the meantime they have a ten minute "Putting the weapons back on the warwalkers/tanks/battlesuits" phase every turn. Gaaah!!!:wtf:

laudarkul
10-02-2009, 06:27
My IG army is mostly painted, cause I did not no anything with the bases. I prefer to play with an painted army vs. an opponent which also has a painted army.I find it more pleasant.
My DH army it is not an army till a finish to assembly and paint them.

starlight
10-02-2009, 06:30
It depends.:p

Some of my armies are painted (I have a hard time with the idea of an army being *done*), and others are in various stages from *mostly painted* to *haven't even bought them yet*.:p

Part of my problem...

*stands*

My name is starlight, and I have a problem...:(

*sits down*

...is that I'll buy an army second hand, then I'll be reluctant to strip the (sometimes) nice paintjobs, even when they don't *fit in*.:( My Grey Knights and Tyranids or prime examples of this...:(

I prefer to have my armies painted, but sometimes there just aren't enough hours in the day...:(

Treadhead_1st
10-02-2009, 07:29
Unpainted - I tend to buy massive amounts of models at a time (I really enjoy converting, and every boxed set I buy gives me new ideas for some project or another).

I really want a painted, based army - for either my Salamanders or Guardsmen - but I only get 1 day off a week, so my painting time is very, very limited :(

Hicks
10-02-2009, 07:45
Depends what army, mine range from fully painted nids to armless GKs right now.

Remoah
10-02-2009, 07:49
Voted fully painted. However i have taken u/coated and even bare models to the table before when stressed to make up the list i'm playing.

Vaktathi
10-02-2009, 07:51
My IG are completely painted, I can field about 2500pts of painted CSM's out of my 4000pts or so, I've got 3 models in my Tau army painted, and my Eldar army is still mostly proxies (can't bring myself to build more Dire Avengers).

Brucopeloso
10-02-2009, 07:59
I have several armies (fully painted) so when I start a new one I will not play until it is fully painted and based as well. :eek:

Ganymene
10-02-2009, 08:35
I have one fully painted and based army, but I haven't used them in a while.

The army I am currently working on is somewhat painted, but I'm working my way to having it fully painted and based.

AdeptusOverton
10-02-2009, 10:17
I will not play with unpainted models. Because of this, my AoBR Orks are still a work in progress, mostly because I insist on using rubble and static grass on the bases and painting even the Boyz to a standard that I have never bothered with before. I want to quit trying to play at my FLGS because the only opponents I can find there are people who can't seem to get 1,000 points painted and when they do, they don't assemble their vehicles because they want to switch the weapons out. They keep saying they're going to magnetize them, but in the meantime they have a ten minute "Putting the weapons back on the warwalkers/tanks/battlesuits" phase every turn. Gaaah!!!:wtf:

I totally agree brings me back to my point about people who plonk down (In a public place of gaming) a mini that ok is clearly supposed to be Abaddon but isnt no head,no arms,no weapons Im like not on your nelly mate get it off the table however that assembled and painted lord use that im very very up on this if im at GW almost to the point of retention its about presentation if you love your army have put the effort in then FFS show it off.

Korras
10-02-2009, 10:25
my main army used to be unpainted, but slowly it's getting painted.. it will just take some time.

Norsehawk
10-02-2009, 10:40
I don't mind what others do, but my personal standards demand that my army look good on the battlefield. So they have to be fully painted to a decent standard or I won't put them on the table. (which means I need to paint: More Tactical squads (with special weapons) assault marines, devastator squads, and more terminators, bikes would be nice too.) The nice thing is that for my marines, I came across a paint scheme that looks decent and doesn't take forever to paint, so I have been cranking out a fair bit of them monthly for the tale of 40k painters.
(Marines just passed 2100 points fully painted, I need to finish a base or two here and there but overall they look decent)

AdeptusOverton
10-02-2009, 10:47
Ok heres another question

What is people oppinion on alternate paint schemes lets say for Orks different skin colours.

Some dude down GW has done quite a good job with that.

adreal
10-02-2009, 10:51
Okay, I can field a fuly painted army, at apoc levels. I'm very proud of this fact, but it isn't going to win any prizes, hell it wont even get full painting marks in a tournie (don't highlight, just drybrush) and some bases have stuff on it, others dont. But at work (ah mindnumbing boring factory work) I think up different lists, and I'm rairly using one list long enough to go 'okay this is my standard army, I can add or take things from this core'

So I'm always building new squads, and after watcing Saw 1,2,3 and 4 and silent hill I now want fun stuff in my rhino's and land raiders (I play emperor's children), So I'll need to re-do 6 rhino's and actually put possession on my vindi and land raider.

But I will happily play against an un painted army, and I will never say someones paint job is crap (a local does that to me and it's annoying to say the least) I mean, at the end of the day, its just warhammer, we all have other things to do why make it into a chore?

AdeptusOverton
10-02-2009, 11:01
(a local does that to me and it's annoying to say the least)

I must admit I got very annoyed when people thought my Crimson Ravens were Blood Angels used to do my head right in and people who rip peoples paint schemes usually cant paint them selves (little s**t that used to go to my local GW was like that)

How im gonna tackle my Orks is killing me its actually brought on a migrane :O arrrrrrgh

Born Again
10-02-2009, 11:09
Unless it's a friendly game in very special circumstances, always fully painted. It doesn't touch the table top until it's done. I don't mind playing against unpainted models, just a rule I set for myself.

Aegius
10-02-2009, 11:19
(little s**t that used to go to my local GW was like that)

Am I thinking of the same annoying little s**t that you are?

chromedog
10-02-2009, 11:20
Mostly painted.
Not expertly, not usually more than an undercoat, base coat and details and some paint on the base, but more than grey plastic. I just don't field unpainted models. It doesn't bother me that much if my opponent has bare plastic, but I don't do it myself.

Sureshot05
10-02-2009, 12:49
I don't field it unless its painted.

Captain Brown
10-02-2009, 15:59
Fully painted, every unit.

CB

Vesica
10-02-2009, 16:34
Mine when i play are fully painted, the main reason being is that i hardly play i prefer painting and building :D.

As for basing, i normally only base my important models, but i might after seeing a few good ideas start basing them all.

Fist of Crimson
10-02-2009, 17:57
All painted. Occaisonnally at home we will let a new squad slide in without paint but almost always all painted. I have been known to let some marines see the table before transfers are added though. I hate transfers!

1800pts Crimson Fists painted
1800pts Witch Hunters painted
1200pts Blood Angels painted
1000pts Biel Tan painted

Still working on Biel Tan army and the Blood Angels mostly need to be repainted.

Angelwing
10-02-2009, 18:36
Fully painted and based. The only stuff that isn't painted are new additions on the painting table or in the queue, and won't get fielded until I've finished them.

Griffin
10-02-2009, 19:29
Fully Painted, nothing less - I don't care if I take a year to finish a army - It will damn well be painted before it gets it's baptism of fire. 40K rocks most when you use fully painted forces - I won't deprive myself or my opponent of that - Besides I'm a slow painter - so it's more like punishing myself :)

Bellygrub
10-02-2009, 19:40
I'll go with mostly painted. The only army I field with unpainted mini's are my orks and that's because I've had them for 10 years. They are not only my main army but were also fully painted at one point but with all the shiny new toys I've fallen behind a bit. Plus I really hate painting lootas.

My Nurgle and Templars won't get fielded until they're fully painted. Which means they'll see a table just in time for a new edition to make them useless :D

40kdhs
10-02-2009, 19:46
Not at all painted or merely primered is a work in progress. :)

TheMuumio
10-02-2009, 19:49
I like assembling the minis and I like gaming, but the part between them - painting is what I really don't like doing. That causes my armies to only field few minis taht are painted but they always contain a few more every time as I finish few new ones.

The Orange
10-02-2009, 20:22
Can never quite get everything painted, but I tend to use a mostly painted army, proxying or using unpainted models rarely. Give's me the proper kick in the bottom to get finished with things.

Azhrarn
10-02-2009, 20:32
Generally fully painted and based.

Not that fussed if my opponents army isn't fully painted, but I find it more enjoyable to see 2 fully painted armies on a table.
When I'm testing out a list or idea I will proxy or use models that aren't painted ofcourse, but that's not very often.

A.S.modai
10-02-2009, 20:42
Fully painted Salamnders lead by vulkan with a bunch of sisters of battle as allies.

Malice313
11-02-2009, 01:20
I have been called many things for insisting on my opponents fielding fully painted armies. It may sound pompous to some, but I think that if I have gone to the trouble of painting a whole army for them to fight; they could do me the same courtesy.

tacoo
11-02-2009, 01:25
mine is somewhat, but thankfully my color scheme for my necrons allow me to field them just primed white and look realy close to done. (im doing white with gold on shoulderpads, and center crest on warrior.)

Godgolden
11-02-2009, 01:42
I dabble with paint.. but my fantasy army fights bare.