PDA

View Full Version : what happens when a doom diver......

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
04-12-2005, 18:36
shoots skirmishers? does it only kill the one it lands on? or does it do the d6 hits?

starlight
04-12-2005, 18:41
Always done the d6 due to flailing limbs and busted *aircraft*.:D However we never bothered to back it up, it just seemed right.:D

Tarax
04-12-2005, 18:57
The bigger problem with Skirmishers is: you only hit the unit when it lands on 1 of the models. As Skirmishers stand slightly apart, it's hard to hit them in the first place.

m1s1n
04-12-2005, 20:37
It's funny. I used to play doom divers all the time and this situation has never come up. Partially because my opponents do not play a lot of skirmishers, but also because I have never wasted a doom diver against them. Although now that BoC and WE are big you probably see this happening a lot more.

I say starlight is right.

T10
04-12-2005, 20:39
The unit suffers 1d6 hits. That's clear enough.

As for wether or not it needs to actually hit a model to count as hitting the unit, that is a tougher cookie.

Imagine a skirmishing unit of two models. If the doomdiver hits either model, then both can potentially be killed. It seems unreasonable that if it struck between the two models, neither would be affected.

-T10

NakedFisherman
04-12-2005, 22:26
The unit suffers 1d6 hits. That's clear enough.

As for wether or not it needs to actually hit a model to count as hitting the unit, that is a tougher cookie.

Imagine a skirmishing unit of two models. If the doomdiver hits either model, then both can potentially be killed. It seems unreasonable that if it struck between the two models, neither would be affected.

-T10

Wouldn't it seem equally unreasonable if it was fractions of an inch from the edge of a rank and file unit?

Perhaps he exploded in the air or lost control or plummeted straight into the ground. However, he must hit a skirmisher to do damage. I believe this is stated directly in an FAQ.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
04-12-2005, 23:27
could you post a link to the FAQ?

neXus6
05-12-2005, 01:20
If the doom diver hits a unit it does d6 hits. So to do d6 hits it need to hit the unit, not a gap between models it actually has to hit a member of the unit.

Seems pretty straight forwards to me.

Da GoBBo
05-12-2005, 09:59
Jep, and for ones this is totally logic too (as far as anything involved with gobbos can be logical). Squirmishers would be perfectly able (though not 100%) to jump aside. This can thus be represented by failing to hit the unit, if ye hit ground, and hitting the unit when ye hit a model. Hitting the entire unit instead of one model goes beyond this line of thinking of course. This is also the most simpelest way to interpret the rules, which is often the right one. If ye hit yer lucky, if ye hit ground, bad luck old boy, yer dealing with gobbo's after all.

Tarax
05-12-2005, 14:17
Completely agree with you there. Even the explanation of skirmishers jumping out of the way, was in my mind.