PDA

View Full Version : so, what's it like?

carldooley
10-02-2009, 00:46
with all the Dawn of War flamers on the boards, I have a question to ask; has anyone ever played a game against someone who played Dawn of War (the videogame) and then proceeded to build a 40k list without reading the relevant codexes? examples I suppose would be a tau player spamming broadsides thinking that he could use them as troops, or someone trying to field a SM captain thinking he can lay out an orbital bombardment.

it hasn't happened to me, I don't play enough, but has it happened to anyone on here?

ZOMGBBQ
10-02-2009, 00:54
Well, not exactly, but I have had some idiotic players.

I had one guy (the Local Clubs owners nephew no less) scream at me for 15 solid minutes that his kroot had Meltabombs because he had modelled it on them.

He Then tried to move and shoot Broadsides. I explained to him he couldn't, then ranted on about how Suits can move and shoot.

And THEN he tried to fire some sort of missle that needed Markerlight lock (cant remember then name) without one. I explained yet again why he couldn't, and he screamed (literally scream, high pitch whining) "But I don't have any markerlights in my Army!" then threw his Hammerhead at a wall.

I decided it wasn't worth doing it for free any more and told the owner likewise. Now I get free Tanks for coming down once a week so overall, +1 for me :)

Sidstyler
10-02-2009, 01:38
someone trying to field a SM captain thinking he can lay out an orbital bombardment.

Haven't read the new SM codex have you? :p

To be fair I think it's the chapter master, but still...pretty stupid regardless.

I had one guy (the Local Clubs owners nephew no less) scream at me for 15 solid minutes that his kroot had Meltabombs because he had modelled it on them.

He Then tried to move and shoot Broadsides. I explained to him he couldn't, then ranted on about how Suits can move and shoot.

And THEN he tried to fire some sort of missle that needed Markerlight lock (cant remember then name) without one. I explained yet again why he couldn't, and he screamed (literally scream, high pitch whining) "But I don't have any markerlights in my Army!" then threw his Hammerhead at a wall.

...that's...I dunno. Wow.

carldooley
10-02-2009, 01:48
I know that a chapter master CAN fire off a bombardment, but a captain cannot. I chose a couple of differences that I remembered from when I played through DoW.

I was posting to see if anyone had actually encountered someone that didn't realize that there are differences between the computer game and the tabletop version.

Silverbullet5774
10-02-2009, 02:03
I haven't experienced this, being fairly new to the game and all, but if I did, I think I'd log onto my DoW account and destroy them with there comp game rules.

vampires are cool!
10-02-2009, 02:09
A kid tried to claim that all the Boyz in his army were free because he had all the nessisary upgrades in his Tech tree...

SimonL
10-02-2009, 02:29
Wait wait wait, so you're saying a Krootox really isn't tougher than a Dreadnought or Tank? ;)

WildWeasel
10-02-2009, 04:09
... then threw his Hammerhead at a wall.

This (substituting whatever model for "Hammerhead") should be how every good 40K story ends.

TrojanWolf
10-02-2009, 05:27
No, but now I have fears of meeting someone who tries to field 1,000pts of Dreadnoughts.

blackroyal
10-02-2009, 05:35
No, but now I have fears of meeting someone who tries to field 1,000pts of Dreadnoughts.

I've done 2,000pts of Dreadnoughts... Nothing like 11 models in 2K.

But to be fair, it was an apoc game.

sing Sang a song
10-02-2009, 05:36
I havent encountered DOW mayhem, but i did faced some idiots during game... My friend when he got his 1st IG army he said all of his platoon members had sniper, cause they got sharpshooter+some other random doctrine. AND he gave other squad members either meltagun/flamer/plasmagun. So it was like this
"i will shoot you with this squad... 1..2...3 melta gun..1...2..3..plasma....1..2..3..flamers to your CSM squad"
"dude.. you can't have that much special weapon in one squad"
"But book said i can get 3 of any Special Weapons in the squad."
"ummmm.. can you read?"
and thats only one of the MANY incidents regarding his stupidity

Reflex
10-02-2009, 05:43
i know of one incident where someone thought that the assault cannons and hvy bolters were twin linked on land speeders. not really funny, just sad really.

CrownAxe
10-02-2009, 05:57
i'm going to be the closest to the actual topic

I was talking about how some tau units are ok (don't remember, longish time ago) when a person chimed in "But aren't they really good? They're good in DoW after all..."

ruttman15
10-02-2009, 06:38
lol crownaxe, thats hilarious...

oh and vampires are cool, "A kid tried to claim that all the Boyz in his army were free because he had all the nessisary upgrades in his Tech tree..."

THATS AWESOME :p

lol i wouldn't be very happy with that kid :D

Remoah
10-02-2009, 07:59
Actually, one of my mates started 40k by going and buying Marines and then complained because they didnt come with 5 heavy bolters per squad... had to explain to him how massacred DoW actually was.

genestealer_baldric
10-02-2009, 08:07
I remember a kid claiming you couldnt see his eldar because they were invisable and after a while we worked out that he thought eldar could be made invisable like on DOW :)

this caused quite a few laughs...

Remoah
10-02-2009, 08:45
I've heard of the same with chaos marines. A kid paid something like 75pt assuming it was like Requisition Resource and said all his chaos were invisible.

Dezmord
10-02-2009, 10:46
I'm running a games-club with some friends and a few weeks after DoW some kids came by to start playing 40k. My favourite question was "Why are there tyranids available? Is this games workshop allowed to produce them? They are no part of the DoW-universe!"
It was hard work for us older players to show them how a force organisation chart works and to make them realise that they can't produce reinforcements.
It took some time, but by now all these kids are regular players in our gaming club with nice, balanced, painted armies and all know the rules very well now.

Born Again
10-02-2009, 11:21

I was going to make a witty remark, but...

This (substituting whatever model for "Hammerhead") should be how every good 40K story ends.

That took care of it.

loveless
10-02-2009, 14:27
I honestly don't know anyone who's gone from Dawn of War to 40K. I, however, love Dawn of War...mainly because it's a quick way for me to make up a simple colour-scheme and throw down a battle in a 40K setting in under an hour.

They are very different games...I wish I had a good example that you all could use to better explain this to the DoWers (although with II coming out and the game shifting focus a bit, you'll have a whole new slew of problems).

Ah! But to the OP: Spamming Broadsides? Really? I tend to find that a weak tactic with the Tau in DoW - or at least boring :p

genestealer_baldric
10-02-2009, 14:39
Not wanting to go to far off topic but i reckon with DOW 2 you will not have same problems due to its seems to be a fluff game rather than a re skined C&C.

marines are realy hard, carnifexs are amazing, banshees are a bit broken but fagile orks are cheap inaccurate and in "large" numbers, its good how they are repsenting them, so hopefully people will be used to meat sheild gaunts, expensive but gd SM. so you do get a small more balanced "strike force" rather than a whole army.