PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Terrain

w3rm
10-02-2009, 01:06
Hello my name is w3rm and I have a terrain problem. My local gaming club is mainly 40k peeps(silly round basers!). So all the terrain we use is buildings and crashed ships and the like. I would really like to get us 6 fantasy player some good terrain. There are TK,DE,O&G,Lizzies,Dwarfs(some people play multiple armies and we have 2 lizards). I was looking for some terrain that could:
A-Look cool

B- Function gamewise

C- Fit Fluff

D- Be affordable

I was also looking at the GW mansion and it is pretty sick. For my DE friends B-Day i made him a sacrificial alter. I also have an unpainted tower-like thing and an unpainted hill. I was thinking if everyone chipped in 10 bucks we could get some foam and paints and have a terrain making day. We could get alot of faom and trees and stuff for 10 bucks I think. Our battle are getting pretty boring and I could use you guy's help and links to good terrain making threads.

Thanks

Master Stark
10-02-2009, 01:21
GW terrain is awesome. Functional, and pretty.

Malarowski
10-02-2009, 01:25
Try this http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 02:19
foam hills and cut-out green felt for forests work great for starters. GW sells plastic hills, and you should be able to find green cloth in most artsy stores and just cut out misshapen circles and viola! 2 dimensional trees!

i dont much like the buildings. they look great, but arent functional.

ChaosVC
10-02-2009, 02:29
One thing about fantasy is that most units other than skirmishers does not really interact well with terrian. Simply make 2 set of forest, 2 hills with gentle slopes and 2 other terrian from Huts to Brick building or fallen logs will make the terrian looks good. With these and a GW battle matt and you will have a nice scenic battle field. ;)

mweaver
10-02-2009, 05:33
ChaosVC makes a good point - too much terrain can be a hassle with Warhammer, since most units move as blocks. Making some hills (with gentle slopes) is a good idea - looks nice, and changes the tactical situation. Maybe a stand or two of trees?

The modular hill GW released a couple of years back is quite nice, by the way.

One thing you can do enhance the aesthetics of your game is make a nice terrain board. Flat doesn't mean ugly!

snurl
10-02-2009, 06:30
The thing of it is, when you make or buy your hills, woods, bridges or what have you, make sure that they are large enough to have room for at least one movement trays worth of figures. Anything else is just an obsticle.
Also-
Don't make your hills sides too steep, or figures will fall over.

Woods are best when they have removeable or repositionable trees, so you can actually put your regiment into the woods without taking them off of the tray.

The Red Scourge
10-02-2009, 06:44
There are a few basic kinds of terrain to consider, that have tactical implications.

Passable and blocking LOS – like hills

Difficult/impassable not blocking LOS – swamps, bottomless pits, lakes

Difficult/impassable and blocking LOS – forest, jungle, thick forest, big obelisks, huge rocks etc.

Buildings.

A couple of each should make for varied games.

Check out the the terrain projects here on warseer to get some ideas on how to do your own :)

larabic
10-02-2009, 08:05
Don't forget the ash tray bunker...oh wait that's 40k...

Green felt for trees, grey for swamp and brown for buildings is ver y easy and effective though not to easy on the eyes, Hills are a bit trickier but there are some good alternatives out there on the cheap to be sure.

Braad
10-02-2009, 08:30
Indeed. There are quite few good logs in the terrain section. Also check the thread 'building the medieval city' (I think that was the name). They sell great buildings.

The Red Scourge
10-02-2009, 08:37
Those medieval city guys are bonkers. Too much patience, too much dedication and too much skill. Can't be healthy I tell you ;)

Bregalad
10-02-2009, 09:17
I made a list of good Fantasy terrain less than a month ago in this thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178663
The best inspiration for race specific terrain is material for the Warhammer online game http://www.war-europe.com/#/conceptart/?lang=de , e.g. this Dark Elf tower, i want to build some time http://img.war-europe.com/syndic_img/conceptart/de/CncArt0907_17.jpg .

w3rm
11-02-2009, 01:20
I don't really just want to use felt IMO that's kinda boring.

Bregalad
11-02-2009, 10:43
I don't find this felt mat boring:
http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_1-euro_field.html
http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_gallery_euro.html
(available without hexes, other side green).

Griefbringer
11-02-2009, 11:08
I take it that this terrain will be for the club use - so to make most of it, you could try to go for something that is also useable for 40K players, so you might get them to chip in a bit.

Things like forests, jungles, hills and swamps are pretty useful in both settings. For the trees, I would recommend taking a visit to a railway model store and looking for those big bags of trees they have at moderate prices. You can then glue these to painted metal washers to enable them to stand on their own, allowing you to move them around within a forest to make room for the models.

Decent buildings can be made out of spare cardboard (looted from cornflake and cookie packacing) with a little bit of practice and patience. It can be finely glued with ordinary PVA glue.

lybban
11-02-2009, 12:50
I think making terrain is one of the best aspects of Warhammer gaming. I actually got quite good at it after a few years of practice.

If you buy a sheet of 2" thick foam insulation board, wall paint similar to goblin green and some citadel green flock you can make at least 5 or 6 hills for a small amount of money. I usually make one two step hill that can be put anywhere on the table and a few corner or sidehills. I make them in steps to avoid units sliding off them or falling over, just like the ones GW used to make.

The GW trees are nice and if you buy 2 sets you can make 2 forests on small cardboard bases with green paint and flock. Or you can put the trees individually on a base each för mor flexibility.

For houses I buy 5 mm foamboard, 1 or 2 mm cardboard and balsawood for basic constrution and whatever doors, windows and other bits I can get my hands on for decoration and cereal boxes cut into small tiles for roofing. I drw a construction plan and the cut out all the card, foam card etc and then glue it alla together with pva glue, decorate and paint. Mount it on cardboard and flock. It actually is pretty cheap but a little time consuming but its worth it.

w3rm
11-02-2009, 22:28
lybban and Greifbringer thanks that is more what I'm looking for. Our club is at a hobby town so I can buy the trees from them and make some hills and forests. I like swamps that's were Fimir live so if anyone knows a quick way to make a swamp that would be great.

Stuffburger
11-02-2009, 22:38
I second the pink board ideas as well. In addition to hills it can (with a little fussing) be used to make rock outcrops, walls, the "ring" around a swamp or lake, buildings. In fact, with a cheap sheet of particleboard/hardboard, a sheet of pink foam, some sand, rocks, bark, wire, flock, balsa and sticks (and sculpy and modeling water, if you're feeling fancy) you can have boardfuls of terrain for nothing more than $30 and some time. My sig has a link with a pretty good guide.

w3rm
11-02-2009, 22:48
So if everyone pitches in $5 that should be enough to get plenty of terrain?