PDA

View Full Version : Rerolling rerolls...

Dooks Dizzo
10-02-2009, 01:20
This came up today in a game and I wonder how people would have ruled it.

Valkia the Bloody is in play.
Chosen roll on EoTG table, roll a 7 and get to reroll.
The next result is not what my opponent wants.

Does he legally get to roll again because of Valkia?

I ruled that yes, they do get to roll again, but must keep whatever they get.

There are actually a number of situations where this might arise, especially if a Warshrine is in play. If they roll a duplicate they must reroll, but of they reroll that and don't like the result...do they reroll again because of Valkia's rule?

Basically I tend to play it in the Chaos players favor since EoTG rolls aren't all that common and are pretty fun.

I think the way it should be ruled is that you roll until you get a valid result and then may choose to reroll off Valkia's special rule.

Sifal
10-02-2009, 01:34
I'm fairly sure somewhere in the rulebook it says you may never re-roll a re-roll in big capitol letters. However, there obviously exceptions like if you kept rolling the same number when rolling for spells. I think the rule of thumb is that if it's a spell list, EoTG or other similar table then you may re-roll as few times as possible until a valid result is gained and then someone like Valkia could use her re-roll just the once. but if it's a mid-game dice-roll such as for hitting, wounding, casting spells etc then a re-roll may never be re-rolled.

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 02:11
the only "reroll of a reroll" that i know of is in the EotG rule, where you must reroll until you get a different result. this is under the EotG rule, though, and not apart of valkia's thing. so i dont think he would be able to do so. however, since the EotG table is worthless i wouldnt ruin a fun pickup game by arguing the point.

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 02:54
Yeah, the EotG rule seems to completely break the rule that you can not re-roll a re-roll. This is bad, as not re-rolling re-rolls is one of the iron clad rules of the game that always apply.

Really shoddy work on the writing. At the very least they could have said: Re-roll duplicates. If the second roll is also a duplicate, treat the result as "The Eye is Closed". Then it abides by the golden rule of re-rolls.

Lord Dan
10-02-2009, 03:08
Let me check my rulebook. Ah yes, here it is:

"Never, never, nevernevernever, NEVER, never, never-ever ever, never re-roll a re-roll."

Verbatim.

Lord 0
10-02-2009, 03:51
Although it doesn't specifically say so in the rules, I have always looked at it that a roll is not complete until a valid result is obtained; otherwise you would not be allowed to use a re-roll to re-roll a dice that, say, fell off the table or was cocked or what-have-you.

Normally a valid result is whatever number is showing on the dice, but in the case of the spells and EotG a valid result is any number that has not already come up.

So, although you are physically re rolling the dice, you are not using a 'Re-Roll' per se until a valid result is obtained. Once you have a valid result you would then have to use a re-roll to alter it.

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 04:06
Really shoddy work on the writing. At the very least they could have said: Re-roll duplicates. If the second roll is also a duplicate, treat the result as "The Eye is Closed". Then it abides by the golden rule of re-rolls.

you arent saying that the WoC book is badly written are you? because i disagree, 4+ it. :p

that being said i cant think of a single other thing wrong with the WoC book. i can think of like 50 other things, but not one single other thing.

Dooks Dizzo
10-02-2009, 05:38
You do reroll spells no matter how many times you come up with the same result, so there is a bit of a presadence there I guess.

Though going with the badly worded thing is about the best bet.

If they really want Chosen to always get something off the chart they should have stated: roll until you get a result other than 2 or 7.

Basically WoC players get to roll on the chart so rarely, I think the wording should favor a favorable result as often as possible.

As an aside...if a Chaos Sorcerer kills a large target with a spell, does he get a roll on the chart? I think he does, but maybe someone knows better?

Necromancy Black
10-02-2009, 05:41
As an aside...if a Chaos Sorcerer kills a large target with a spell, does he get a roll on the chart? I think he does, but maybe someone knows better?

I though you only rolled from killing things in a challange?

Lord Dan
10-02-2009, 06:09
You cannot re-roll the re-roll of a legitimate result. If your dice burst into flame when you roll your dice, yes, you can roll them again.

The Red Scourge
10-02-2009, 06:31

You get re-rolls for winning challenges and killing large targets. The rules doesn't specify that this has to be in CC, so when your sorceror blasts a monster to the other side, then feel free to roll on the chart.

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 07:41
yep, i did it once when i killed a giant with the #1 spell. 6 S6 hits FTW. and i got to roll on the chart, which was.... less than spectacular.

Dooks Dizzo
10-02-2009, 17:11
There's actually 4 or 5 ways to get rolls on the chart if I am remembering correctly.

1. Kill an enemy character in a challenge.
2. Kill a Large Target
3. Warshrine
4. Chosen
5. Mutant Regeneration on Trolls and Throgg

Avian
10-02-2009, 17:40
I've had people bring up the "You can't re-roll a re-roll, EVER." and my usual reply is this:

We are about to play a game and dice off for the first turn. We get a tie, and so we re-roll. Again we get a tie. Are we now supposed to go at the same time because we aren't allowed a second re-roll?" ;)

It isn't *that* unusual to re-roll a re-roll.

Harwammer
10-02-2009, 19:15
I agree with lord 0; I think the rules are you may never reroll a legitimate roll. If the roll is not legitimate (such as in avian's example) it must be redone, which doesn't count as a reroll.

Another example would be when randomising, 1-3 hits a troop, 4 hits the char, 5-6 reroll. If you roll a 5 twice then does the hit just vanish?

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 20:30
I've had people bring up the "You can't re-roll a re-roll, EVER." and my usual reply is this:

We are about to play a game and dice off for the first turn. We get a tie, and so we re-roll. Again we get a tie. Are we now supposed to go at the same time because we aren't allowed a second re-roll?" ;)

It isn't *that* unusual to re-roll a re-roll.

you are correct. the game is a tie, dont bother playing it against that person. :)

cwastoinand
10-02-2009, 20:58
I agree that if you don't role a legitimate that you can re-roll always,