PDA

View Full Version : White Lions - How to best use them?

MrWoten
10-02-2009, 03:02
I really dig the models and special rules for White Lions and their special character\Lord. How do I make the most out of their units?

sulla
10-02-2009, 03:58
With an immune to fear/terror banner and near your BSB gives them the best chance of success.

Personally I like them in a fairly magic heavy list. They lurk in forest while my sorcerors whittle down the enemy force then they can either charge out (into the flank of the enemy if possible) or flee if charged by an overwhelming force, stranding them in the forest for a few more turns of magicking.

Their obvious strength is their high strength strikes first attack and stubbornness so your best match ups make use of one or both of them.

omgadinosaur
10-02-2009, 04:02
I don't like them in really small units, i usually run them in about units of 10-16. Usually they just become a block of awesome that chew through a ton of high armored things. Charging through woods is great fun.

MrWoten
10-02-2009, 04:29
We have one Wood Elf regular and I got a block of them from a trade so I was curious about their performance.

What's BSB mean?

AngryAngel
10-02-2009, 04:31
BSB means Battle Standard Bearer, a hero level character that can carry the armys battle standard.

Sifal
10-02-2009, 11:37
white lions are tremendous speed bumps and i think they work well in units of 7. But that is a bit g*y.

MrWoten
10-02-2009, 15:53
BSB means Battle Standard Bearer, a hero level character that can carry the armys battle standard.

Aha. Thanks, I'm still new to WHFB.

white lions are tremendous speed bumps and i think they work well in units of 7. But that is a bit g*y.

Is that considered beardy? Don't they also fight as Skirmishers? I'll have to check my Army Book again..

Sifal
10-02-2009, 17:53
not beardy no I don't have it a problem with it, by my comment i just meant it doesn't seem right that immortal frail elves are put into speedbump units that will definately (probably) get killed. seems like a suicide tactic to do as much damage as possible from race that his thin on numbers.

W0lf
10-02-2009, 18:02
3 units of 18 is a nice set-up imo.

Im not a fan of MSU High elves tbh. Wood elves and DE both do it better imo

huitzilopochtli
10-02-2009, 18:07
i used to take a unit of 18-20 with the lion standard, then stick a BSB with barded steed and battle banner in the unit. Charge anything, ANYTHING and you will crush it!

Sifal
10-02-2009, 18:14
i used to take a unit of 18-20 with the lion standard, then stick a BSB with barded steed and battle banner in the unit. Charge anything, ANYTHING and you will crush it!

How about cairn wraiths? do those banners give the unit magical attacks?

MrWoten
10-02-2009, 18:19
I'm going to proxy them this weekend in place of my Sword Masters and see how it goes. I'm not sure how they will fare against my normal opponents ( Chaos, Daemons, Ogres ) but It will be interesting to see how they preform against Wood Elves.

huitzilopochtli
10-02-2009, 18:21
How about cairn wraiths? do those banners give the unit magical attacks?

granted they don't have magic weapons, but unless the wraiths can do in excess of 5+d6 wounds they're still gonna crumble. Or just add Korhil for 3 S6 magical attacks and stubborn ld9.

edit, give the unit champion the amulet of light. NOW the unit has magical attacks. :D

Sifal
10-02-2009, 18:34
I'm not debating the power of the unit, it is a strong build. A unit of cairn wraiths to the same points value would prob do 5+d6 wounds. they would be screwed with the amulet of light.

Dead Man Walking
10-02-2009, 22:53
If you get Korhail in your army put him in a unit of spearmen, this makes the spearmen stubborn. Give them elyrion banner so they can move like the white lions through woods (and other diff terrain). The more stubborn units the better, Khorhail will be your general.

Get a BSB, lets you re-roll a failed leadership. Give him the magic sword that gives you +2 str and killing blow, he'll be Khorhails twin. Mount him as well.

The chariots are awesome.

You will need some dispel abilities, get a mage or two.

Immune to fear and terror banner and Magic resitance are your friends.

In the fluff the white lions use Giant eagles a lot, use them to march block and to redirect unwanted marches away from your battle lines (like bloodknights and khorne knights.).

I field 3 units of 15 white lions with a char in the front rank on a horse steed (a white lion model) that are six wide.
WWWWW
WWWWWL
WWWWWL

W=White lion
L=Lion steed (fills first and second rank).

Volker the Mad Fiddler
11-02-2009, 01:27
SNIP
Get a BSB, lets you re-roll a failed leadership. Give him the magic sword that gives you +2 str and killing blow, he'll be Khorhails twin. Mount him as well.

SNIP

Pretty sure the White Sword is for models on foot only. Also, I think Korhil is considered a unit champion so you cannot move him from the White Lions to spearmen. [Sorry, Korhil is a hero and so can be moved. Good idea.]

sulla
11-02-2009, 04:20
I'm going to proxy them this weekend in place of my Sword Masters and see how it goes. I'm not sure how they will fare against my normal opponents ( Chaos, Daemons, Ogres ) but It will be interesting to see how they preform against Wood Elves.

They don't win combats easily, but they will hold up a unit for a turn so they can be hit in the flank by your dragon princes and battlebanner BSB...:evilgrin:

Meanwhile, unleash a couple of eagles from behind your lines to redirect enemy charges away from that combat so you can win and smash your foe without it turning into a gigantic ruck.

isidril93
11-02-2009, 21:14
white sword is only for foot

albefagote
16-02-2009, 06:46
white lions are evil

Your Mum Rang
16-02-2009, 08:30
Korhil is a normal character. Can go wherever he wants. I use a WL heavy army and Korhil is perfect in Spearmen!