PDA

View Full Version : 1500 High Elves Building Towards

Drifter00
10-02-2009, 03:30
so this is the army im planning on building towards for my first 1500 of both high elves and fantasy altogether. Let me know what you guys think. Right now the only thing i actually own is the swordmasters but i plan on buying the spearmen next and then some phoenix guard. The plan is to have the one mage with sacred incense with the swordmasters also casting shield of saphery so they don't die to shooting as easily and the other mage will likely take the lore of fire or maybe also high magic. Is it better to take units with 6 models/rank or 5 like I am currently in this list?

Heroes - 540
Caradryan
Mage (w/ Phoenix Guard)
-Level 2 Wizard, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury
Mage (w/ Swordmasters)
-Level 2 Wizard, Jewel of the Dusk, Sacred Incense

Core - 195
20 Spearmen
-Musician, Standard Bearer

Special - 658
13 Phoenix Guard (w/ Cardryan and Ring Mage)
-Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Sorcery
14 Swordmaster of Hoeth (w/ Incense Mage)
-Musician, Standard Bearer, Bladelord, Amulet of Light
Lion Chariot of Chrace

Rare - 100
Repeater Bolt Thrower

Total:1493
Models:52

Power Dice: 7+D3
Dispel Dice: 7
Spells: 5 + Fury of Khaine (item)

Gabacho Mk.II
10-02-2009, 04:15
I like the list and give it a 7 out of 10 in the realm of being 'solid'.

While I dont know how you game in your group, I do have a few suggestion/opinions.

>> I love Caradryan! As much as I despise SC's in Warhammer, if you intend to bolster the fighting prowess of your foot infantry, this guy will do you good.
[I played it twice, once against Ogres at 2.5K, and once against Tomb Kings and did very well with him]

>> I think that 2 mages might be too much for 1,500pts. I would take one mage, and use the points from the other one for some cavalry.*

>> I have yet to have any real success with BOTH Swordmasters and Phoenix Guard. I strongly prefer to have more spearmen and a large contingent of an elite (PG's, SM's or WL's) on the field.

>> You should consider at least a lone Eagle. You would sorely miss their inclusion if you go up against fanatics, as well as having a 50pt unit to march-block, charge lone wizards in the open, etc...

>> I would most likely push for the inclusion of a Tiranoc chariot/cavalry unit, but you would need to find the points for that...

[[a special character, 2 mages and 2 elite units, plus a plethora of magical items, might be too much of a burden if they are not engaged/used properly]]

I would assume that you are planning on a 'semi-defensive' force, waiting for the enemy to close (all the while throwing spells and bolts at their formations, etc) so that you can charge and finish the battle. But again, I would rather have a cavalry unit and an additional spearmen unit instead of two elite units out on the field....

Just some opinions.... Good luck with the HE's. They are worthy of good commanders nowadays. ;)

Preacher
10-02-2009, 13:01
I personally dont think the Lion Chariot is worth it. But I do see how people do. I prefer Tiranoc Chariots. Putting 140 pts into a T4 model just doesn't do it for me. I play Wood Elves as well, if the chariot gets anywhere near Glade Guard, the Str 4 shooting will most likely make a mess of it. In a game before, my Glade guard got to shoot it twice at short range(sure not the best general to allow this but still), the Guard took it down.

I would also think about putting your mage with the spears instead of with the Sword Masters and Drop Sacred Insense from him. The last place you want your mage is in combat and the only place you want your Swordmasters...is in Combat. You have a fairly high number of them and if you use your bolt thrower to target missle troops first they just might stick around.

I also really like the C man. He always performs well but at 1500 points, I might actually think of dropping him. You have 2 characters already. If you dropped him and the Lion Chariot(well, changed it to a Tiranoc) you would have enough points to add a unit of Dragon Princes and an eagle, which will probably do more then the previous set up. Plus you should have some points left over.

If you do take the mage out of the Swordmasters, drop the Insense and maybe add a scroll.

Since our Elves are already so expense I like to try to keep characters some what cheap and pump up the specials and rare choices.

Just my .02

P

Drifter00
10-02-2009, 22:30
Wow thanks for the pointers guys those actually make a lot of sense to me and you're right i was planning on a defensive list. I usually don't use special characters either (about 1/10 or so games) but caradryan is just so cool being the chosen of asuryan and all and I really like the phoenix guard and their models so i thought i'd include him. Here's the modified list now after reading your posts:

Heroes - 360
Caradryan (w/ Phoenix Guard)
Mage (w/ Spearmen)
-Level 2 Wizard, Silver Wand, Ring of Fury

Core - 195
20 Spearmen (w/ Mage)
-Musician, Standard Bearer

Special - 793
17 Phoenix Guard (w/ Cardryan)
-Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Sorcery
15 Swordmaster of Hoeth
-Musician, Standard Bearer, Bladelord, Amulet of Light
6 Dragon Princes of Caledor
-Standard Bearer

Rare - 150
Repeater Bolt Thrower
Great Eagle

Total:1498
Models:62

Power Dice: 3+D3
Dispel Dice: 3
Spells: 3 + Fury of Khaine (item)

The dragon princes have a standard bearer because i had extra points left over although from what I've heard about them they win most fights on the charge. Also they seem very suitable for my army since I am painting my models in a caledor theme (greens). The mage will most likely cast a shield of saphery on the swordmasters then use his remaining power dice for some offensive spell like fury of khaine and also use the ring of fury for a second magic missile (hopefully). The eagle was a good idea for blocking a charge or hunting down some war machine/mage.

Thanks guys for the help so far, any more suggestions?

Drifter00
12-02-2009, 00:20
oops it should be 4+d3 power dice, 3 dispel dice, and 3 spells + fury of khaine(item)

Gabacho Mk.II
13-02-2009, 16:00
Something that I witnessed last night-

There was a "newbie tournament" at the local club last night when I walked in to purchase some paint. Well, the tournament was being played with 1,000pt armies, on 6' X 4' tables, and all of the battles were fought using the Meeting Engagement rules with terrain already set up.

Out of the ten (9?) players, there was a single HE player. He had put together the following force:

1 unit of 18 spearmen, 1 unit of 10 archers, 1 unit of Phoenix Guard (16-18?), 1 unit of 5 Dragon Princes, a unit of 5 Shadow Warriors, with Caradryan leading the army (the one and only character in the whole army).

I watched all of the games for nearly 2 hours total, mostly watching the High Elf player gaming. During this time, he played 2 battles (his first battle was ending when I had come into the shop), both of which he did rather good, despite his continual need to run the Shadow Warriors out of cover on the first turn of each game...

Against Orcs and Goblins, he had a draw --- against Daemons he ended up with another draw, with the Dragon Princes actually wiping out a unit of Bloodletters singlehandedly! His spearmen and archers took the brunt of the losses, with Caradryan and the Phoenix Guard dishing out the damage against the enemy units.

While this might not be a great example, the similar army used by this kid (I think he said that he was 14) was impressive. If only his tactics and placement were a little better he could have had a better showing.

Hope this helps you Drifter.

garythewargamer
13-02-2009, 19:51
I liked your mage which you took out. I love the lion chariot and I am working on how I can increase this to two. I am playing at 2250 therefore it is easier to play with points.
But you know what the bottom line is, are you happy.
dragon princes are nearly the best cavalry around for the price. I am sure to get some arguments about that but that is okay because everyone is entitled to be wrong. Try to find the 15 points to give them the banner of ellyrion.
Some thing to use in the future type full command vice listing the three upgrades.