PDA

View Full Version : When were YOU introduced to 40k?

ruttman15
10-02-2009, 06:42
I was introduced when I was like... 8 years old? (im 14 now)
my friend around the block from me saw some eldar at his cousin's house, and promptly bought some. then I promptly bought some :p
from there, i went in and out, never learning the game, but loving every minute of it!!! Last year, I picked up my crumbling 3rd edition codex off the wall, and the flame reignited!! and my wallet has been leaking ever since.

How did you come by this game we call 40k?

Born Again
10-02-2009, 06:50
My older brother got into it from people he knew, and introduced me to it, at the tender age of 8 or 9, I can't remember. Painted badly and played regularly until 13 or 14, when other interests, lack of time and lack of money put it on the backburner. Got into it again a couple of years ago now due more time, more money, and picking up a WD on whim while in the newsagents :D

maelstrom66669
10-02-2009, 06:50
I first saw it in a mall when we went to Indianapolis, there was a GW store and some people were playing a game, the figures looked neat, but I what I really loved was that the people had made their own buildings out of cardboard boxes and such. That was when I was maybe 12-14, somewhere around there, couldnt afford to play at the time, but now Im finally at a point where i can start spending on it regularly, now I just need to get more patience for the painting part of it :D.

Remoah
10-02-2009, 06:52
Was about 11-12 ish.
Just moved to SE Melbourne and we went up to Chaddy where they had a GW. Ages ago one of my mates got a sentinel from his parents (when we were into aeromodelling). Saw the sentinel on the table and went over to have a little look-see. Got rolled into an intro game and basic painting sesh with one of the guys (they werent busy).

Few weeks later mum got the basic 'paint a marine' starter kit and a box of Tanith (wish i still had the Larkin model...). After that i skipped it for a a few years until i was 16 and one of my mates got me into a game. Picked up Guard from then on and here i am now a couple of years later.

CrownAxe
10-02-2009, 07:01
I first heard of 40k from looking through RPG motivational posters that used them as a reference. Googled it and was like "interesting, could be fun"

then later in the month, my group of friends came to me and said they were planning on starting it and asked if i wanted to join

ruttman15
10-02-2009, 07:09
what really drew you to the game?
for me ( i love drawing/art) and the painting drew me in. I hadn't really liked "games" before (other than the video type) but the more I read about it, the more i liked the game. but still, painting and conversion is my true love!

maelstrom66669
10-02-2009, 07:13
Not so big on painting myself, but I do LOVE converting, I think after my chaos army reaches 3000 points Ill have to start on an ork one, gotta love the raggedy, mad maxish look of their vehicles.

DigbyWeapon
10-02-2009, 07:14
About 4 months ago, wanted to try something different from Fantasy, and I am seriously loving it.

I love both systems, 40k is giving me so much fluff to look into, its awesome.

Digby

Alx_152
10-02-2009, 07:26
I bought the WHFB and WH40K rulebooks in 1988 in a bookstore. Some months later I found out where I could by mini's.

Gen.Steiner
10-02-2009, 07:29
When I was nine, in 1996, back in the day of 2nd Edition and Epic 40,000! :) I've been playing 40K for 13 years now... that's over half my life! :eek:

hawo0313
10-02-2009, 07:38
Picked up a friends white dwarf 3 years ago and he lent it to me and I've played the game since

Ronin_eX
10-02-2009, 07:43
When I was 8 I got Heroquest for christmas and ever since minis gaming has been a love of mine. Every week I would go to my LGS and pick up an old Ral Partha D&D figure to paint and add to Heroquest.

Eventually I started noticing the GW stuff in the store and I fell in love. On my 11th birthday I picked up 2nd Edition and that was it. I've been playing ever since but I've fallen out of love with GW so I continue to play the awesome stuff they used to put out and ignore the drek of today and it has served me well.

Sekhmet
10-02-2009, 07:43
In 1995.. I was considering between Epic and 2nd ed 40k. I'm glad I stuck with 40k, epic is kinda.. deadish.

Dude, Heroquest! I played that back in the day! Did you know Heroquest takes place in the WH Fantasy universe?

vman
10-02-2009, 07:45
started 40k when i was 12, and that was in 1996 from memory

collected about 4-5k of chaos space marines, and about 2k of eldar and stopped playing when i was about 16 or 17.

Got sucked back into it at the age of 24 (last year).

Currently sitting on about 5k Eldar, 3k Cadian Guard and about 1.5k Wood Elves (that i want to sell).... would like to start lizardmen but i still need to finish off alot of other projects

invinciblebug
I got into WH40k from my brother when I was seven, now I'm 15 and he's long left the hobby, still I carry the legacy on :D. Come to think of it I've played 40k over half my life too :p.

vman
oh my lord

Heroquest !!!

i had that game!

Marshal Argos
10-02-2009, 07:46
I was introduced in the early 90's, even bought a couple of the books, but didn't actually start playing until 97ish. Been at it ever since in one form or the other.

The Clairvoyant
10-02-2009, 07:48
i started 40k in 1993 at the age of 14. Other friends were getting into it around the same time and there was a weekly gaming club at my school, though it was mostly epic (Space Marine) or Man O'War and a smattering of Dark Future; over the next 4 years at school it became more 40k-oriented.

jeffersonian000
10-02-2009, 08:05
I was 13 or 14 when I was first introduced to 40k. I'm 36, now

SJ

ankara halla
10-02-2009, 08:18
In the late eighties, when I was a wee lad of just a bit over a decade old.

Vaktathi
10-02-2009, 08:25
I first saw 40k and Fantasy back in 1993 (or 94?), when I was in a game store in Old Town in San Diego. I was 7 or 8 years old. I picked up a catalog because the pictures were cool and the painted armies looked totally awesome, and it was apparently right at the dawn of 2nd ed as the catalog was describing a "soon to come" Leman Russ kit (I've still got the catalog). I always thought the setting and visual aspect of the game was awesome, but it took me a while before I started playing, even though I thought of it from time to time.

I didn't actually start playing 40k until a few years ago though (and didn't start Fantasy until late last year), I could never afford the books, mini's, or model kits until I was in college (that and I spent all my money on computer hardware and games, as well as paintball in HS).

IJW
10-02-2009, 08:54
I was about 14 and had just moved into a new class at school, which contained a group of bright kids who played these weird games...

There was this game called Warhammer Fantasy Battle, but it needed loads of figures and everyone already had painted armies - then this new game called Rogue Trader came out and everyone in the group was starting from scratch so I started that as well. Plus it had guns. :)

That was the UK release of RT, making it 21+ years... :eek:

chromedog
10-02-2009, 09:16
I was 18 (it was 1987). I was browsing in a games shop and found the RTB001 box and rulebook. I had read a few White Dwarf issues, but not anything that year - and it wasn't a local printing then, but an import - an expensive one at that.

It seemed to be a wierd melange of Dune, foundation, Starship Troopers, Nemesis and Judge Dredd and Harry Harrison's 'deathworld' books. I was hooked. I started with marines, like most people (it was either marines or orks, back then) and eldar a few months later when I wanted a change from marines v marines games.

Doomseer
10-02-2009, 09:23
When I was 11 years old way back in '88, a few weeks into starting secondary school. A good friend's older brother had the RT book and one look inside was all it took for me to convert untold Airfix tanks into 40k!

buzz631
10-02-2009, 09:32
it was back in 93 when a school friend brought in a leaflet with the citadel minitures on i indtantly fell in love with game 2nd edition i think it was since then ive been hooked

dblaz3r
10-02-2009, 10:28
I played some Heroquest then bought Space Marine (epic) and the titan box game and was loving it. Then I saw some guys at the club playing rogue trader and immediately wanted to play. Bought the 2nd edition box set when it came out and the rest is history.

I did have about a 12 year gap doing other stuff, which started just before the tyranid campaign (damn it). I always had lingering thoughts of the grim darkness and when I saw the terminator chaplain I bought him straight away and haven't looked back.

Filthy O'Bedlam
10-02-2009, 11:01
I was either 16 (I'm 28 now) from a friend I still play 99% of my games against to this day. 12 years of Eldar haunting my dreams

Cheers, Filthy

RoXoR
10-02-2009, 12:02
I was introduced when I was 10 (18 now) read a mates White Dwarf and got into the Eldar and have been playing on and off ever since, only started to get back into it again after a year off because of school.

Whitehorn
10-02-2009, 12:05
Space Hulk / Rogue Trader area, almost 20 years ago.

march10k
10-02-2009, 12:06
I saw a WFB game while doing a MTG booster draft in 1997. Bought the boxed set that night and played brets until I moved the next year...to a place that had a 40k community, but no WFB players at all. Now I'm painting my first WFB army in over 10 years...but not giving up 40k...just doing both.

Eternus
10-02-2009, 12:11
Once again, HeroQuest and Space Crusade in the very early 90's. My first White Dwarf was issue 160 in about '92, which makes it 16 years this year - started with the Space Marine Boxed game, then 40K with Space Marines (Dark Angels, even way back then).

Now completing my 6th 40K army (all different races), and 4th Fantasy army, and getting back into fighting battles after a sizable gap to do things like get a job and get married. Always kept the WD subscription and kept buying models though.

Eryx_UK
10-02-2009, 12:17
1987 at Games Day in London. I had gone with a friend (we were both already playing a number of GW games at the time), and on the day of release I bought my Rogue Trader rulebook, a box of metal space orks and a box of plastic marines. I've been playing 40K on and off ever since.

Sleazy
10-02-2009, 12:35
1989 - I had bought a few fantasy minis from a toy store in town (anyone remember Beatties?) And had got an old white dwarf from somewhere. A lad at school told me there was a shop that only sold minis...... after much searching I discovered GW Newcastle and bought a blister of marines.

A couple of months later it was christmas and my parents bought me the RTB01 plastic marines and the Rogue Trader rulebook.

Ah them was the days....

Justicar Myo
10-02-2009, 12:44
I was introduced when I heard of the coumpter game dawn of war (not a shooter its RTS) I liked the story line so I kept getting the expansions. Then I found at Barns and Noble that there was a bunch of these Wahammer 40k book in the Si-fi section so i started to read them (this was all 3 years ago) now my book shelf is full of warhammer 40k. then my I walked into a gameswork shop store and now I am here:)

Ethan Hunt
10-02-2009, 12:51
For me it was at 1994. In fact, i was introduced into the GW universes at once. I bought the spanish Issue 9 of the WD, then all came after it. Getting codexes, a WFB book, a ton of WDs... and really into the thick of it at 2007, when i bought Battle for Macragge and the 4th ed. Rulebook in special edition. Now i have the normal fifth ed. one. And more Wds... more codexes in the future... blah, blah :D

shabbadoo
10-02-2009, 13:14
Back in 1987 a friend and I wanted to try out a sci-fi miniature based game, so we each picked up a copy or Rogue Trader, a box of RTB01 Space Marines, and three Eldar blister packs. We played small, story driven skirmish level games for the most part- small hit squads of Space Marines/mercenaries vs. our combined 6 packs of Eldar pirates, Zoats, and some other oddball things we havd picked up. When he moved away I went on hiatus from playing the game but continued to pick up the odd blister of miniatures here and there. I picked the game back up when 2e came out and have been going full bore ever since.

The_Outsider
10-02-2009, 13:33
When I discovered fantasy sucked, I moved onto 40k (circa 2002).

Levett
10-02-2009, 13:46
17 years ago now, and loved every moment of it :)

Count de Monet
10-02-2009, 13:54
Played a number of games during RT back at the game store I played at back then. Went to college and got into Epic during the Space Marine/Titan Legions era, but skipped 2nd ed 40K. Back into 40K starting around 2000 through poking around online at Epic stuff and following links to places like (IIRC) The Maelstrom.

Korras
10-02-2009, 13:54
for me, it was in 1996.. around the time the old Codex Chaos came out. I'm not even sure anymore how I got started with it all. I know I played Chaos first, decided I didn't like it after a few years, and moved on to Blood Angels. that also I did not like, and sold again, this time moving to Space Wolves. those I DID like, and they stuck.

I remember when 3rd edition came out, that the FLGS let me paint the boxed set up, in return for a few boxes of miniatures, and the big rulebook. for someone of my age back then, that was quite a lot. ahh, the good times.

laudarkul
10-02-2009, 13:56
2 and a half years ago. One year waist it only on reading books/novel. Finally a year ago I begin to buy some models then paint it and after 4 months I went on the table:D...And enjoyed every second (even when I was beaten to hell:D ).

Bloodknight
10-02-2009, 14:38
At age 17, back in 1996 I got to 40K, and 2003 I went for WFB when the Tomb Kings were new since no other army appealed to me but my buddies wanted to play WFB. I used to play HQ and Space Crusade from 10 years on.

Thrain
10-02-2009, 14:41
It's been 16 years now for me. Space Hulk is what got me started. I was in college and wanted a game that was like the second Alien movie.

Then the same friend who recommended Space Hulk to me played a couple games under Rouge Trader rules with with me. I was sold on it so I went and bought the Second Edition box set.

captainramoz
10-02-2009, 14:43
When I was 6 in Spain.

tuebor
10-02-2009, 14:54
I was introduced to it by a friend of mine in 1994 (I was 12) but I was quite poor and couldn't afford to buy anything. I read some BL books here and there throughout the years and almost forgot there was a game the books were associated with until in 2004 when I got back from Iraq (with lots of money burning a hole in my pocket) happened to notice a game store as I was driving by. I hung around the store for a couple of days, seeing what was what and bought around 1500 points of Guard in one go.

Theola
10-02-2009, 16:15
Wow, a lot of you got into this at a very young age, a long time ago, or both! I only found out 40K existed back when I was midway through high school in 2000, but I didn't actually pick up the game until I was mostly through college. I had pretty much forgotten about 40K until I started playing Dawn of War between classes, and it inspired me to go down to my local store. I've been playing about a year and a half now.

Vesica
10-02-2009, 16:31
Hmm

I was introduced to warhammer, about 10/11 years ago now when i was 10ish lol.

My dad took me there because he new i liked making things, and i liked fantasy/sci-fi and i liked war, so he took me there so that i wasnt spending all my time in the house.

precinctomega
10-02-2009, 16:36
In 1984, on a wet holiday in Swansea, my older brother decided to pass the time by taking my family on a D&D adventure. So he took me (9) to the FLGS to buy the stuff (as he'd only played at school with a friend's books) and there I saw my very first space marine.

It was love at first sight. It was three years before I'd actually try playing the game, though.

R.

Angelwing
10-02-2009, 18:28
Back in 1990 a buddy of mine played rogue trader and I joined in a couple of games. I didn't start collecting myself until about 1994, when I had some money to buy stuff!

the1stpip
10-02-2009, 18:34
My local Toy Store (cos my nearest Gw was an hour and halfs drive away) started stocking the new 2nd ed boxed set, so I bought it back in 1993.

Got to be one of my best decisions.

BLARGAG!!!
10-02-2009, 18:40
I was introduced to 40k when i was in the 4th grade (I'm now a freshman in college). At the time, I couldnt afford it and I forgot about it. 2 years later, I found it again and had a bit more money, and thus the addiction began. I have been playing ever since.

40kdhs
10-02-2009, 18:44
I started to play HE army 4 years ago but I switched to my first 40k army, DH, because i saw a lot of 40k players. Since then, i haven't looked back.

monopeludo
10-02-2009, 18:45
It was 19 years ago. I was in ireland, learning english and bougth an space marine blister and the Roge Trader rulebook. I still remember that I didn't knew what the meaning of the verb "to rally" was. Gamesworkshop has been a great language school for me. But not a cheap one. :D

ruttman15
10-02-2009, 18:50
It seems a lot of people got into it when i did! (age wise) since im about 15, it must have been 7 years ago (since I heard about it) ahh I remember being a little kid (8 y/old)
and pretending to be an eldar ranger, killing off the dastardly mon-keigh! :D
ahh for the days of my even more youthier youth.

Fist of Crimson
10-02-2009, 19:04
Summer of 1995. I was 11.

Went to spend 2 weeks with a friend who had moved out of the area a few months earlier. He had this painted blood angel army. I was fascinated by them. He didn't much feel like showing me how to play, instead we spent much of the 2 weeks working our way through Shadow of the Horned Rat

Anyone remember that game?

Anyway, a year later when I visited again I was still interested in the blood angels so my Mum bought me two paint sets and the 2nd ed boxed set to stop me talking about it for another year.

Voss
10-02-2009, 19:09
A couple months after Rogue Trader came out. I found it in a crappy hobby store in PA and it was, quite frankly, the coolest thing in the place.

Zelotes
10-02-2009, 19:14
I've got nothing to brag about as far as old-timer-ness...I think I first learned of Warhammer in general when I was at my friend's house and he and all his brothers were into it. Then a few years back I got in a serious hankering for a good RTS game with shooty-guns that wasn't just C&C and a friend recommended Dawn of War to me. Played it, loved it, played it some more. Talked to my Warhammer-playing friends about it, looked at their minis, started to peak my interest. Soon I owned 2000 points of Black Templar. :) Hooked.

garth40k
i was introduced about 8 years ago when i was 11. (19 now)
i was taken round to my mates house and "made" to play 40k. i didnt know that i was going to play it haha infact i cant even remember how i got to the house lol. but i rememeber i was given a small force of orcs and i loved it! i remember we won because i was used as cannon fodder haha but i still loved it.
after that i had a necron army (back when the codex was in chapter approved) that had the worst paint job ever but i havent been able to throw em away! i just cnt do it!
then i got into a relationship and kinda stopped playing! (stupid i know)
but now im back into it and playing tau. painting has improved i hope so anyway.

garth
xxx

Hicks
I started playing WHFB on my first year of highschool. Shortly after I found out some new friends I made in highschool also played, so I slowly built a gaming network. We soon took up Necromunda and enjoyed it very much, but WHFB games slowly became more and more boring (it was just a cheeze escalation even the Cold War couldn't rival).

Necromunda got me interrested in GW's futuristic setting and since by that time I had discovered Portent, I started browsing the 40K forums a bit. I was pretty instantly hooked by the fluff. Eventually I decided to try to convince my gaming group to start 40K. It picked up slowly, but after a decade of gaming I can proudly say that we play more than ever and most of use have multiple armies.

blackroyal
10-02-2009, 19:21
Call it 2000ish I was at a friend's house and saw all his stuff. Looked really cool, so I jumped on the internet and had a look-see at the old GW site. Started hanging out at the gamestore that sold/provided gaming space and then got me a combat squad of marines. I still have a few of those guys in a box. I now have 3 playable armies and various random models from other forces.

Griffin
10-02-2009, 19:22
Hmmm Read some warhammer stuff, thought the fluff was cool, Dawn of war came out a bit later, Played that to death, moved to a larger city where there where people actually playing table top - now my wallet hates me. It's been like 4 years or so now I think.

A Chaos Space marine, Eldar, Tyranid, Imperial Guard and Necromunda army later. Now I'm gonna tackle guard again. :)

Spacker
10-02-2009, 19:29
I picked up the rulebook back in 1988 when I was but a mere 16 year old :)

Loopstah
10-02-2009, 19:30
A friend at school brought in some Eldar back in 1992 and I loved the whole idea.

I nagged and nagged my parents until they let me buy the 2nd Edition box set.

Private Ginger
10-02-2009, 21:39
I started 40k when I was twelve, it was still 4th Ed and my uncle and I were in the Palisades Mall in NY(I live in PA), and he bought me the 'dex and a box of tac marines.
Been playing ever since.

Commissar Danilov
10-02-2009, 23:51
My friend across the street played IG for 40k,played a few small games at his house. That was when I was about 13.

Now 4 years later I have somewhere between 5,000-10,000 points of IG, and still going.

Ivellis
11-02-2009, 00:20
1996 at the age of 4. My brother and I were at a comic store buying MTG singles. (Yes I played MTG at 4, my brother taught me to read just to have someone to play with :P)

There was a display for Warhammer Fantasy in there and I was immediately enthralled, I learned a bit about it from the owner and my brother and then went on my way.

But I would go back to that store over the next four years when I could, and just sit there looking at the warhammer displays, sometimes fantasy sometimes 40k, of course I couldn't afford to play, and the painting thing was too much for me.

Eventually we moved away, I got new friends and forgot about warhammer except for the few times I saw the models of my brother's roommate.

Then around two years ago my best friend stumbled across a GW store when visiting his dad and he, his brother and his dad picked up a couple boxes, soon I was dragged back into it and here I am now. :D

NealSmith
11-02-2009, 01:07
Last year at our local miniatures convention...

I was 42 at the time... ;)

tacoo
11-02-2009, 01:30
a few months ago. played dawn of war when it first came out because Computer RTS games were my passion, so i played that, winter assualt, DC, and Soulstorm. me and my friends Kept on talking about getting it, but never had the money, then my friend saved for like a year and i got a job. we now pplay and i still have trouple picking an army, just like in the game on the PC. so far went necrons and now going chaos thousand sons themed.

victorpofa
11-02-2009, 01:46
I was first introduced in 1991 when a fellow gamer at college tried to intro this new miniatures game to us. The expense scared us away at that point in our lives. I was reintroduced to 40K August of 2006, and this is also when I bought my first citadel miniature. Far too many have followed since.

Nakor
11-02-2009, 02:35
13. was given a white dwarf magazine when i was in hospital. im 20 now

Sean
11-02-2009, 02:44
I started 40k when I was 6 years old at the end of 1998 and I'm 16 now

Inquisitor Engel
11-02-2009, 02:55
My friend at school, we were 11 at the time.

He'd been collecting for some time though I don't think he'd played many games.

He was Rozonus on Portent, I'm not sure he rejoined, he even made the 2004 Portent Roadtrip with us!

AngryAngel
11-02-2009, 02:58
Hmmmm about 8 or 9 years ago. I thought it looked sweet for awhile, but I was never good/wanted to put all the stuff together. Though I won some money at the casino one weekend just putting in a 20 into a slot machine. So I was asked by a friend who had alot of stuff at the time if I'd try warhammer then.

Well he offerd to help me put the stuff together and all, so I picked up some models and a rule book and have been doing it ever since. Now however I have a huge collection. Both of fantasy and 40k. 40k will always be my greatest love however. I just like tanks and guns more then swords and axes and block formations.

Oh not to mention my friend had falsely I found out, explained terminators as having a 5+ invulnerable save just because they were bad a**. So thats why I ended up getting marines as my first army. I mean come on, imagine my thoughts "They just shrug off tank shells and anti tank weapons because they are bad ass, sounds pretty cool."

A bit long of an explanation I know, sorry for rambling, go warhammer!!

ruttman15
11-02-2009, 03:44
go warhammer indeed.

Lexington
11-02-2009, 07:52
The summer of '97, myself, during the tail end of 2nd Edition. Having played Fantasy for six months or so, I bugged a friend into getting the 40K boxed set. We were hooked.

I was sixteen at the time. Odd to think that I could've done anything for so very long.

Earthbeard
11-02-2009, 08:50
Via Space Crusade/Heroquest and issue 100ish of Whitedwarf, saw it in a newsagents on the way to school, bought it, and I've never looked back.

Was a defining moment of my life I like to think, still get WD even now, never missed an issue.

Sceleris
11-02-2009, 09:10
Had been picking up WD for years as I was into role-playing (from issue 50 odd probably) and amassed enough figures to get into WFB. Played that from its conception and then started playing Epic at University in 1992.

Having left uni found the local GW store was more into 40K so started playing that regularly (1000 pt Harlequin army with 16 figures! and the various crazy lists you could get from Lost & the Damned and Slaves to Darkness).

Boss Kopstud
11-02-2009, 13:08
September, 1993.... What's REALLY sad is I have models that are OLDER than some of the kids playing now at my FLGS! But; it's good to see new people in the hobby, and most of them are pretty good kids. Long live 40K....

genestealer_baldric
11-02-2009, 15:09
Moved to a new area in 2007 and i thought i would try summit new and allways liked the images and DOW. So i went into the local gw and got on well the guys who worked there and played a few games liked it and the models and got hooked.

commissar hark
11-02-2009, 17:48
Back in 1988 when I was 11. Dabbled in epic for a while before a long break. Now back into 40k in a big way. Looking forward to the upcoming IG Codex

Warpcrafter
11-02-2009, 18:30
When second edition came out. The comic book store where I occasionally bought D&D minis started carrying GW stuff about that same time.

captainramoz
11-02-2009, 18:36
when i was four fife or six (don't now exactly) circa 2000

Sir_Turalyon
11-02-2009, 18:45
You mean 40k setting or 40k game?

My first contact with 40k setting was Space Hulk computer game in 1994. This game brought 40k universe to a lot of computer gamers / Aliens fans; when Dawn of War came out decade later some of my computer gaming friends recognized Space Marines as "guys from Space Hulk". I was 15 by the moment.

At late 2nd / early 3rd edition I was playing WFB, reading White Dwarfs, playing Chaos Gate and slowly learning 40k background.

I started my first 40k army in 2000, mid 3rd edition. Just bought a squad box of Cadians to try painting them in cool urban scheme I saw in Half Life.

ruttman15
11-02-2009, 20:54
One thing I have noticed is most people here of it, then leave it... after the years build up, so does the interest in the hobby. until you just have to buy models :D

Emperor's Grace
11-02-2009, 21:10
August/September 1998 (26). I bought a plastic Falcon kit just to model. I saw Warzone being played and wanted in to TTWG.

I asked the storekeep which game I should play if I wanted to find opponents anywhere (I knew I might be moving to NYC shortly for my job). He sold me a second ed box* of 40K and the "Angels Of Death" Codex.

My very next purchase was second ed space hulk that I got from a store that was going out of business. (Termies on the cheap :) ).

The rest as they say, is history.... 11 years and going, though I definitely have modeled more than played in that time.

*Still just a little bitter about that shopkeep as either 3rd Ed was already out or he had to know that it was due almost immediately. (when was third? 10/98 maybe?) I'm glad that I decided to just get that box at the time. He was trying hard to get me to buy the whole 2nd Ed line of supplements, codices, and everything... Then again, He's probably the only reason that I have a pristine copy of "Angels of Death", so I guess I can't be too mad.

grissom2006
11-02-2009, 23:19
i found it when it first came out hell i'm old lol

Dasike
12-02-2009, 00:49
When my Dad brought back a copy of the WD that covered the Tau for the first time and an attack bike and I couldn't draw myself from the pages (which was ment to be for my younger brother as a display piece, is now in paint stripper to be redone:D)

Fatality
12-02-2009, 02:45
Our gaming store started about a year and a half or so ago.

ruttman15
12-02-2009, 03:15
oh, so fatality, you were playing games before 40k? and your game store only got 40k last year!? whats going on here :p

The Harvester
12-02-2009, 03:16
My friend had one of the fist RT rulebooks in 6th grade. It was a real early run that had all the page numbers messed up (red 000 on every page). That was 1988-89, I think? I',m 31 now so I've been playing (actually more modeling) 40k for about 20 years, off and on.

My first army was Harlequins. They had their own army list back then, released in the compendium, not just a squad in an Eldar army. We used to make Rhinos out of card and even made a couple of those 'grav-tanks' out of deodorant sticks. The instructions were actually in the Rouge Trader rule book how to make them. We used to make a lot of our own vehicles back then.

memories...

-Harvester

visgoth
12-02-2009, 04:26
I went on a class trip to London. On a shopping trip, we found a shop that had a bunch of minis displayed in the window. I'm not sure, but I think it was actually a Games Workshop store.

Anyway, my friends and I, being AD&D players, went in to buy some minis. I mostly bought a bunch of vehicles in the right scale for Car Wars, but also picked up the Rogue Trader hardcover. The Compendium wasn't even out at that point, and White Dwarf still ran articles about non-GW games.

Must have been late '86 or early '87, I think.

(I've since sold my hardcover RT for a stupidly large profit on eBay, but still have the softcover RT and Compendium. I regret selling my Harlequin boxed set, though I got a huge profit on that as well.)

EDIT - I take that back. I didn't buy the hardcover RT on that visit. Now that I think on it, I had moved back to the US and mail ordered it from England, because I remember waiting for it to come in the mail. So I must have gotten it in '87 or '88. It must have been the fantasy boxed set (with the three books) I bought on that trip. Someone stole my backpack containing that set a couple years later. :(

LiMunPai
12-02-2009, 07:40
About 3 years ago now, with Dawn of War. I was playing the RTS and my neighbor came over; turned out there was a table top game associated with it. Not long afterward, I borrowed his rulebook and read the rules portion through, and I loved the whole idea. The LGS turned out to be really competitive, so I spent a while optimizing upgrades on Nids lists to try to beat the top players in the store. It wasn't until I picked up my second and current army, Eldar, that I really fell in love with the models and the hobby as a whole.

destroyerlord
12-02-2009, 10:30
A mate of mine introduced me to the Hobby in 2002, although we only played fantasy for a while. It didn't take long to gain an interest in 40K too once I started reading WD and posting on forums. I've never been to into the gaming (I prefer fantasy) or the painting (I prefer LoTR) but I've got a legal (unpainted) army and play now and then.

Thud
12-02-2009, 10:37
Back when I started middle school (age 12/13) my friend told me about this miniature game his older brother was playing. I thought it was interesting, but his brother advised us to wait a few months as the entire game was about to be revised (3rd edition). Before christmas '98 I bought my first model (a Space Ork Warbiker) and the rest is, as they say, history.