PDA

View Full Version : Help vs. Lizardmen

Angelust
10-02-2009, 06:00
Hi guys.

I have three armies: WoC, HE, and Wood Elf.

I am going to end up playing this guy for a league, and I can bring whatever army I'd like. He has played Kroak, 2 engine of the gods w/ skink priest, and a flying skink priest.

He flew the skink priest forward, and then did the protection of itza on a ton of dice.

A few questions

1) What is it that makes SLaan magic so effective? If I went magic heavy with High Elves, is that a wise decision?

2) What can I do to stop a first turn skink priest with cloak of feathers flying into my army and just blasting protection of Itza?

3)What army would be a good match up? He's not a particularly good player, and I could probably grind him down with CHaos if I wanted. A chaos dragon + Lord with Hellfire sword might do wonders...that or Archaon.

Advice would be appreciated. I'm willing to go WAAC a bit on this, as the player's a nice enough guy, but plays very competitively himself.

Nicha11
10-02-2009, 06:22
2) What can I do to stop a first turn skink priest with cloak of feathers flying into my army and just blasting protection of Itza?

point out to him that channeling only allows magic missles to be cast from the priest.
And therefore this is illegal.

Famder
10-02-2009, 07:44
How many points is this game supposed to be? And what level were the priests on EotG? By my quick calculations he's got 1400pts in characters, which means virtually no close combat ability or range.

Kroak's spell is only any good at short range when he can spam it. As pointed out the skink cannot channel this spell so you're safe until he closes the gap. Focused bolt thrower fire on the EotG's is an effective tactic to take them down all you have to do is kill the priest on top and they're left with an expensive ancient.

Angelust
10-02-2009, 17:01
Urgh! I knew he was playing a few things wrong, but that's major. OK. I feel more confident about it now.

huitzilopochtli
10-02-2009, 17:13
If you're going heavy magic high elves, take either the book of hoeth and out-blast him, or take the vortex shard and seriously diminish his initial magic advantage.

isidril93
10-02-2009, 19:32
fight fire with fire
or in this case magic with magic...hehe ;)

teclis
2 lv 2s
noble with radiant gem of hoeth
loads of anti magic and white lions and swordmasters and repeater bolt throwers

sorry his list makes you bring out the big guns

Emissary
10-02-2009, 20:10
if you went magic heavy I would be wary of him trading out Kroak for a normal slann and taking several of the lizardmen magic defense items. Personally, I think they're much better then the HE ones overall.

A couple of things that can help you from your list:

1) The destroy scroll is money against kroak if you can get the destroy effect to work. Kroak has 1 spell and if you destroy it he's effectively neutered for the rest of the game.
2) the banner that makes your unit immune to magic will take out a big part of his list, but it won't effect the engine of the gods.
3) that item that ends the magic phase immediately can really help too.