PDA

View Full Version : Damnatus Discussion

scarletsquig
10-02-2009, 08:04
DISCLAIMER: I just saw this movie, and it was brilliant, however, I get the impression that this is one topic that has to be tread lightly on, so it would be best if there is absolutely no mention of the legal issues that have already been discussed at length in threads that are now locked.

Also, having searched all previous topics for moderator policy towards it, I have to assume that this:

Please don't post links to downloads of Damnatus.

is still in effect. Any requests, hints, pms, or anything remotely related to the acquisition of the Damnatus movie is best not mentioned.

Would just like to chat about the movie itself, if that's okay... it's a small masterpiece, flat-out the best fan made movie I've ever seen. :)

Loved the overbearing darkness of the entire film, the German language was a perfect fit for the narration and daemonic scenes, it's one of the most genuinely disturbing horror films I've seen in a while, purely due to the content... very little gore, but plenty of psychological stuff and raw daemonic imagery... One to watch at night with the lights out. Would seriously NOT recommend it to anyone Christian, it really is "one of those" films.

As for the acting, it got better over the course of the film, was most impressed with the fat adept and the tech priest.

Soundtrack is great, they really went to town on it with a full orchestral score. End credits track is great, too.

Special effects and 3D work is excellent considering the low budget, as an animator I'm well aware of the sheer level of work that went into it, and the even greater level of work that goes into the effects on proper feature films, so for them to pull off convincingly rendered 3d environments for the majority of the film was impressive, even if they could have used a little more attention to detail in some parts.

I was particularly impressed with the panning across the daemon world, that scene really messes with your head, as it should!

Definitely recommended.. what the film lacks in production quality, it throughly makes up for in sheer atmosphere and dedication to the 40k "grim darkness" mythos. It does a fantastic job of communicating the brutality and bleakness of the Imperium. I even found the low production quality to be quite charming... felt like I was watching an 80's video cassette.

ankara halla
10-02-2009, 08:22
Hmm, while I agree with everything you said, I wasn't quite as charmed by it. Still, a very, very good watch and for an amateur flick, the production was quite good.

I don't really have anything to add to your review, except my personal star rating, which would be 3/5.

Good, but not great :)

The Ape
10-02-2009, 10:38
As a story I didnt enjoy it and found it tedious. Not sure what somebody's religion has to do with it though-it was hardly a shocking film!

On the other hand, I dont want to detract from all the effort that went into making this film and considering it is an amateur film, I thought that the makers did a good job with the special effects, music etc.

Bregalad
10-02-2009, 16:41
It is a bit of "Blair Witch project" meets "Dark Heresy RPG/Eisenhorn", so don't expect a big battle between Space Marines and some Xenos. While acting and special effects are obviously not on a professional level, they are exceptional high for a fan movie and fun to watch. Can't comment on the German language daemonic effect, as it is my native language ;). My personal favorites in the movie are the servitor skull, the Sentinel lifter and the AdMech (played by several people).

BTW, "The Gamers" is still my favorite fan-made movie, but this one comes next.

Hicks
10-02-2009, 17:50
Lucky gits, you bunch go to see this legend of a movie. I wanted to know if the movie was subtitled in other languages for the non german speakers?

ankara halla
10-02-2009, 18:12
Lucky gits, you bunch go to see this legend of a movie. I wanted to know if the movie was subtitled in other languages for the non german speakers?

Yes, it is :)

BaloOrk
10-02-2009, 21:12
Its decent, good animations considering it`s fan made.
My only complain is a little stiff acting, in the action scenes, but i couldn`t have done better myself.
Kudos to everyone involved in the making of the movie, im sure there is a couple lurking around this forum ;)

TheBigBadWolf
10-02-2009, 23:41
It was ok, I personally prefered the Inquisiter films that GW made years ago, now they were great :D

chromedog
11-02-2009, 00:13
The subtitling packs work fine with VLC (videoLanClient) or Media Player Classic (NOT WMP).

You amy have to alter rendering settings for MPC to play it properly, and you can load the subtitle pack separately to the film (or even have it with german subs, if you need to brush up).

Not as good a fan film as "Star Wreck: In the Pirkinning" (my favourite fanfilm of all time) but probably the best 40k one I've seen.

Satan
11-02-2009, 10:16
I liked it. It was great for an amateur production, and the CGI was good. Unfortunately some of the bad acting made it lose part of its charm, I think you could've easily gotten amatuer actors to do a better job. The first few minutes of the film are gold though.

slayerofmen
11-02-2009, 10:23
GW made a film? what the hell was that called

Inquisitor S.
11-02-2009, 10:27
GW made a film? what the hell was that called

"Inquisitor". Though it should be classified as short movie. The other stuff wasn't more than trailers and the sequences for PC games.

Ward.
11-02-2009, 10:40
I didn't hate it, the inqs massive collar had a bit of a comedic effect on me and searching for a player that could load swf. subtitle files under my current settings drove me nuts.

Was worth the wait.

Wintertooth
11-02-2009, 11:47
The 3D is okay. The rest is bloody awful.

t-tauri
11-02-2009, 19:52
Two posts removed and one warning issued. Please don't ask for or give links to downloads of material which breaches copyright. The thread is living on borrowed time. Any more and the thread will be removed.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition

Satan
11-02-2009, 19:58
Not that I care, but the link was for satirical purposes and not to any copyrighted material. ;)

OT: I agree with Ward on the collars having something of a comical effect, especially that guy who was supposed to look like some kind of naval officer in the beginning of the film. And the catachan guy... brrr.

Shallowain
11-02-2009, 21:38
Not that I care, but the link was for satirical purposes and not to any copyrighted material. ;)

OT: I agree with Ward on the collars having something of a comical effect, especially that guy who was supposed to look like some kind of naval officer in the beginning of the film. And the catachan guy... brrr.

But you have to admit, the acting of the "Catachan Guy" got much better over time. you really could see the improvements on his acting skills.

Tyron
11-02-2009, 21:40
Just watched it, did anyone notice that Inquisitor guard with an eyebrow piercing? Plus where was that Marine and Ork I saw in the trailer?

Amnar
12-02-2009, 06:23
No wonder GW didn't want it released. It was really, really budget.

ankara halla
12-02-2009, 06:32
No wonder GW didn't want it released. It was really, really budget.

Not that that had anything to do with it, but yes, it's was an amateur film that's only resources were from the people, mostly students, who made it.

It should be viewed with this in mind, it had no budget and really, for that, it's quite impressive.

Tommygun
12-02-2009, 06:37
I watched it a month ago. It was an entertaining show.
It looked as good as a lot of the shows shown on the SciFi channel on Saturday night.
The part I liked best was when someone took a shot at the AD Mech and the gun misfired.
The Ad Mech says "Mechina empathy".

Templar Ben
16-02-2009, 21:37
Tommygun, that is a good comparison but these guys had less of a budget.

Charax
16-02-2009, 21:49
It was very impressive - I'm a fan of the Inquisitor short film and nobody can reasonably argue that Damnatus doesn't beat Inquisitor in pretty much every way.

It wasn't perfect - the subtitles weren't 100% (I remember a scene with the team climbing down a ladder that had no english subs whatsoever) but for the most part the subs were understandable.

I actually didn't like the whole "machine empathy" thing as it seemed a bit too much like hanging a lampshade on a game mechanic, like if one of them had landed a great shot and celebrated by yelling "critical hit!"

wonder if they'd consider selling off the props? that Eldar amulet or the bionic eye would be a fun piece to have on a shelf somewhere (and absolutely not for 40K cosplay, because that would be silly...)

ehlijen
16-02-2009, 23:38
My guess is, given that they liked 40k so much that they went to the trouble to make this movie (including all those props) that they'll also like to props enough to want to hang on to them.

Angelwing
16-02-2009, 23:43
Watched it, but couldn't get the subs working. Still I got the gist of it. Quite impressive overall. I did laugh at the naval officers collar. The poor fellow must be choking!

Inquisitor S.
17-02-2009, 08:52
My guess is, given that they liked 40k so much that they went to the trouble to make this movie (including all those props) that they'll also like to props enough to want to hang on to them.

AFAIK one or maybe two lasgun props were auctioned off, the rest very probably remains with the people who built them (as there is no "company" or anything that actually would own the costumes and stuff). And if I would have put the effort to build something I would surely not just sell them to anybody ;)