PDA

View Full Version : thousand sons and a dedicated rhino

blood=angels
10-02-2009, 11:27
g'day would you guys be able to give some adivce on my rhino ? if it needs more color etc

all tips would be great

=edit= the symbol on the side is white not yellow ( bad lighting)

holmcross
10-02-2009, 12:10
A big part of making a good transport is to match the units it goes with. It is, afterall, part of the squad. Got a pic of one of your thousand sons laying around?

Right off the bat, I'd say give the model a black ink wash. This is super easy to do and you'll be surprise with how much better it looks. Also, the blue looks a little bit lighter then what I'd expect to see on thousand sons but maybe its just the lighting.

I have very little experience working with that color scheme (blue/yellow/gold), but maybe do a black ink wash on what you have now, then go back and start putting some yellow in there. You could try the alternating blue/yellow pattern that the thousand sons have on their helmets. If you were to do that pattern, DEFINITLY go diagonal at a 45' angle. Maybe on the side hatches and in that recess on the front and back of the rhino?

Also the trim looks way to yellow, but thats probably just the lighting.

Maybe a little boltgun metal drushbush to pick out the corners after you're done with an ink wash.

Oh, and you don't want to ink wash after you've painting yellow, if that is what you're going for.

Its a bit light on ornimatation for a chaos transport. Try added some bits for decoration (trophy racks, magical looking relics as its tzeentch maybe, etc)

Good luck

Askari
10-02-2009, 12:31
Oh, and you don't want to ink wash after you've painting yellow, if that is what you're going for.

That's what I do on Thousand Sons helmets, makes 'em look old. :)

Still, what I do to my Thousand Sons vehicles is paint a thin gold line around all the edges. And then use that bubbly polystyrene you get with HDTVs and stuff, paint it red, orange, yellow and dark grey [i.e. fire and smoke] then stick it to the model in what used to represent Coruscating Warp Flame but now just looks cool.

Bregalad
10-02-2009, 16:49
It still looks like an Ultramarine Rhino. Add lots of bling, esp. golden Egyptian ornaments and stripes (see FW TS Rhino and Land Raider doors as an inspiration http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/CHAOS_VEHICLE_ACCESSORIES.html ). BTW, black and rusty ink plus boltgun drybrushing add age, depth and realism to an otherwise simple painting scheme.

blood=angels
12-02-2009, 07:49
yea it was a thing of the moment its done with enchanted blue mith silver and shining gold
i haven't had a go at the troops yet and thanks for the tips
just got so many projects going at the moment

* salamanders,imperial gaurd and thousand sons