PDA

View Full Version : Army cases

The Red Scourge
10-02-2009, 11:27
I'm looking for a new army case to carry around my horde of the undead.

So what do you guys prefer for lugging around your armies.

I started out getting a GW plastic case for my WoC, and it works fine, but carrying around an ugly black plastic case with a big double headed eagle on the side and only a handgrip isn't really something that goes well with the rest of my attire.

So for my Wood Elves I got a nice Kaiserrushforth aluminum case. A nice anonymous look, a practical shoulder strap, a lot of options for foam pads. A great product all round.

And now I need something for my upcoming VC, so is there any products out there to compete with KR e.g. sturdy, customizable and not designed with 12 year olds as a target group?

Ozorik
10-02-2009, 12:06
http://http://www.figurecase.com/index.php?cat=c10_Feldherr-MAXI.html (http://www.figurecase.com/index.php?cat=c10_Feldherr-MAXI.html)

Its big enough to fit 2 2k armies (one of which is O&G), its comfortable to carry and customisable. The only downside is that it isnt rigid, although unless you intend to drop your case down stairs I dont see how this is a problem, Ive not had anything break during normal use.

Chaos Mortal
10-02-2009, 12:15
hmmm..... i cant get that kink to work ozorik

spud75
10-02-2009, 12:16
so is there any products out there to compete with KR

Not really, the KR aluminium case and foam is the best you will find.

I've used everything from the KR range, Figures in Comfort, Sobol, Charon Battlepack(when it was available in UK) and GW cases.

KR is the best all round product.

Ozorik
10-02-2009, 12:18
Fixed the link

Gazak Blacktoof
10-02-2009, 12:26
I've never had the need for a case as I don't do tournaments. The D6 generation podcast seemed to rate these guys highly though. http://www.battlefoam.com/

They sell inserts for any case. Take a look at the pictures in the gallery.

Quetzl
10-02-2009, 12:50
Feldherr are really nice cases - as Ozorik has linked. I've got the Maxi bag with like 180 slots for my Dwarfs and it's really comfy and easy to use.

It's pretty tough and durable and it always feels pretty stable :) They're not rock hard though which is a bit of a problem if your gonna be bashing it about a bit - but for just lugging on a train/car there perfect! So yeah Feldherr for the win!!! :D

The Red Scourge
10-02-2009, 13:01
Feldherr seems okay, but I think, I'll prefer a more rigid case as it would double as storage for the army.

Braad
10-02-2009, 13:13
I've got a Sabol Armytransport.
Very nice, they are quite big, and they can hold a horde of models (O&G player here...).

But the main advantage over most others is this:
With games workshop cases, you put it on its side, put the models in, and then flip it back up, tossing all the models around! While for small plastic models this is not really a problem, it can cause quite severe damage to the bigger metal ones (seen it with a friends' case).
With the sabol ones, you put the models in the trays, and you stack the trays top-up in the suitcase. Way better, if you ask me.

Feefait
10-02-2009, 13:49
we use gun cases here. the chessex cases and the rest are just to expensive.

zak
10-02-2009, 14:20
The GW cases do have a problem with a bit too much movement within the case allowing models to move about. This often causes pieces of the models ro fall off and superglue is my constant companion when unpacking. I don't have the Sabol case, but have seen a friends and was very impressed with it.

Malarowski
10-02-2009, 14:36
Any tips/recommendations for a case to transport TK? I'll have skellies, chariots, cavalry and the big Ushabti, Giant, and Chariots. Seems to be quite hard to find a case for all of them, since they vary in size quite a lot.

guillaume
10-02-2009, 15:03
I use KR cases. Right now they are cheap since the british pounds is doing so poorly, plus their shipping is free.

http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/index.html

Individual cases are small, 15.5' x 10.5 x 5, which is why I would consider 2 of them. But with free shipping it is worth it. For you in denmark, they are 22BP each, so 2 of those would make roughly 370DKK.

Their KRMN4 has room for 160models....They also have a range of foam sizes.

The foam is really soft. A cardboard box may sound flimsy, but they are really sturdy, and they work well for storage.

semersonp
10-02-2009, 15:17
interesting...

i personally lug my green machine around via an ancient (small) gw case + a laptop bag full of tupperware...

and my empire, etc each have their own shoulder bag stuffed with tupperware...

the tupperware is of course chock full of models separated by various soft bits...

:)

Rick Blaine
10-02-2009, 16:58
What luck, I was just about to start a thread about this.

I own a Sabol Motorpool but now I'm looking for something new. The KR Aluminum looks great, except for one thing: the handle is on the side, not on the lid. That means you have to turn the case on the side, tumbling the minis inside. What's more, the weight of the minis shifts from the bottom of the tray to one of the side walls, which can be very thin and weak in the case of pick&pluck trays. I'm afraid a large metal model will just tear through a pick&pluck wall and mash the minis in the next compartment.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem?

Braad
10-02-2009, 16:59
Any tips/recommendations for a case to transport TK? I'll have skellies, chariots, cavalry and the big Ushabti, Giant, and Chariots. Seems to be quite hard to find a case for all of them, since they vary in size quite a lot.

With Sabol you can easily order the size (thick, thin, whatever) of foam-trays you need, and you pluck out little squares of foam to put the mini's in, so you can easily customize for anything you got.

dwarfhold13
10-02-2009, 17:42
what we do around here is get magnetic sheets and cut it to fit the bases.. then put them in a steel toolbox (craftsman, kobalt etc.) it holds well enough for the model to not move in normal transport and the models don't ever touch each other

DTimbro
10-02-2009, 18:26
Sabol trays are excellent for both storage and moving your armies about. Also each model can have a spot made specifically for it which is nice with things such as chariots and large character models.

Kerill
10-02-2009, 18:58
One person in the group I play with uses a modified toolbox something like this:

http://www.pycomall.com/images/P/toolbox.jpg

Works really really well, I was surprised.

TheWarSmith
10-02-2009, 22:52
Why is this topic not stickied? Seriously, it should be.

I use Sabol army transport. http://www.saboldesigns.net/home.html

But I suggest buying it cheaper at www.thewarstore.net

Gillburg
11-02-2009, 01:03
KR Cases are the best

selone
11-02-2009, 09:48
I actually like the GW case :o

The Red Scourge
11-02-2009, 09:59
I actually like the GW case :o

Yeah its okay. It works.

Its just ugly. It doesn't have a shoulder strap. And ABS plastic isn't really my thing ;)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think, I'll stick with 'der kaiser'. I did have a look at some guncases, and there are some nice ones out there with better looks than the aluminum kaiser could consider getting one for my hardball M41A Pulse Rifle :p

march10k
11-02-2009, 10:11
Why is this topic not stickied? Seriously, it should be.

Seconded. I keep seeing a new one created every 10-15 days...sticky it and be done with it.

I use Army Transport Motor Pool. Big enough for just about any army. I have about 6x as many trays as fit inside, but I can often fit two 1750 point armies in the case to have options when I get to the FLGS.

turrens
11-02-2009, 15:46
wow, great suggestions here, army cases are allways my sore point!

Kerill
11-02-2009, 16:07
The biggest problem with the GW cases and bags are the names they have been given.
Tactical backpack?
Heavy Support Bag?
Fast Attack bag?

It's painful.

Malarowski
11-02-2009, 16:33
The biggest problem with the GW cases and bags are the names they have been given.
Tactical backpack?
Heavy Support Bag?
Fast Attack bag?

It's painful.

Yeah, it's like putting a blinky 'Nerd' hat on.

Rick Blaine
11-02-2009, 19:09
Are you ashamed of your hobby? You shouldn't do stuff that makes you feel bad about yourself.

Kerill
12-02-2009, 05:41
Ashamed of the hobby? No.
Would I be ashamed of carrying a GW "heavy support bag", yes. Even if no-one knew that's what it was called I would shrivel up inside every time I used it.

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 09:41
i use both the sabol army transports and platoon transports, and the GW cases depending on the army. obviously the better transport is the sabol one, since it is larger than the GW case, and it is highly customizable.

The Red Scourge
12-02-2009, 10:03
Are you ashamed of your hobby? You shouldn't do stuff that makes you feel bad about yourself.

Feel free to wear your greasy Dungeons&Dragons/Iron Maiden/Order of the Stick/"My other car is a Land Raider" t-shirt if you like, as long as you do not smell like you've gone the past month without a shower, thats okay by me, I'll even talk to you in public, if you've got a decent personality.

Me, I'm over that (okay, I've always enjoyed regular showers, but I've worn the t-shirts). Yet I prefer to pick and choose the parts of the hobby I like, going all in is best reserved for playing poker and extreme sports :)

Malarowski
12-02-2009, 15:29

I would be ashamed of such a bag, yes. My hobby is nothing to be ashamed of, but I like to present myself professional anyway. There is enough screaming, 'nerdy' kids in black tshirts with weird stuff on them playing war games already, and yes, of those I am kind of ashamed. I have a group here of people 30-55 which includes lawyers, attorneys, and other professionals. There it just does not fit to come in GW fan attire. We kind of grew out of that.

selone
12-02-2009, 17:16
Err how is the GW case that bad/illicit some nerd rage ? Granted it has no shoulder strap which is a fair point, and you can probably buy more customisable/sturdy cases, but I can't believe someone would feel ashamed of something that may have a slightly silly name but that no one who wasn't into the hobby would know its name.
I actually took the GW case into work and no one was like wow thats nerdy or even knew what it was, its only after I stopped joking with them by saying it had various illegal things in and actually had miniatures in that they knew what it was, they didn't even really know what GW was.

I'm also fairly amazed that there are some people who are so worried about looking nerdy that they won't use it and that the idea is if you are carrying one you probably have a nerdy T-shirt on ! I only wear my waagh T shirt once a week ;)

Finally we have the- I actually like a hobby that some people find nerdy which clearly bothers me so I'll come onto the internet and boast that I do lots of un-nerdy activities! I even know people that have professional jobs, wow ! And may have even met a girl even !

its not just limited to GW though, i have a friend who is a police detective who won't tell any of his 'RL friends' he plays WoW for fear of being ridiculed.

I completly understand why you wouldn't want to be associated with the stereotype of GW regulars- you know that are always in the shop, wearing predominantly motifed black attire but you can go too far you know.

Malarowski
12-02-2009, 17:43
I don't even mean the suitcase with the eagle, I am referring to those weird 'Heavy Support' bags that have enormous arrows all over them.

Rick Blaine
12-02-2009, 17:54
Hm, my group also has people 30-55 which includes lawyers, attorneys, and other professionals, and nobody seems to mind using GW cases. Nobody has the backpack, but that's because it's retarded to buy a suitcase and then a backpack to put that suitcase in, not because it has a big scary arrow on it.

Malarowski
12-02-2009, 18:22
I don't know if anybody in my group 'minds' it, but no one does use it, whatever the reason might be.

selone
12-02-2009, 18:38
Ah hah I can understand that re: bag and its weird putting a carrier inside a carrier. So the bag has massive arrows on it ehy? Not seen it. Hilarously someones buying me it for my birthday. Then I'll be able to sling it over my shoulder just as if I had a case with a shoudler strap on ;)

Coolhand
12-02-2009, 18:48
Sabol army transport case for me, they are excellent!

Foegnasher
12-02-2009, 19:41
2 tackleboxes.

i used all the little soft foam inserts to line the trays, and put the ranked units in the bottom in thier movement trays.

in this manner i am able to bring my entire skaven army (600+ models) tucked neatly away. and easy to deploy for battle.

GWINDI
12-02-2009, 22:30
Feldherr seems okay, but I think, I'll prefer a more rigid case as it would double as storage for the army.

We also have hard cases with 5 years warranty.

http://www.figurecase.com/index.php?cat=c6_Feldherr-HARD-CASE.html

The Red Scourge
13-02-2009, 06:50
We also have hard cases with 5 years warranty.

http://www.figurecase.com/index.php?cat=c6_Feldherr-HARD-CASE.html

Sorry to say this, but your hard cases flunks in aestethics just as much as the GW eagle does. Your bags seems nice and okay, but I want something hard to double for storage :)

Nope KR it will be. It has a nice clean look, some decent foam options, while being cheaper and more practical than a 'civilian' flight case.

Ben@BadDice.co.uk
13-02-2009, 11:24
figures in comfort and battlefoam. google them for some good cases.

Railgunner
13-02-2009, 11:46
Got a KR aluminium case a few months ago and thats what i'm sticking with from now on.

Ive also got the standard GW case (ended up with grey knights with pinned arms breaking off and paint chipping) and the big grey one (ended up with praetorians with chipped paint that magically went from their slots into the cavity around the sides of the case), i just found the trays moved around way too much. Whereas the KR trays fit nice and snug inside the case, also the customisable tray option is great!

My praetorian army is now in the KR case, which is actually smaller than a GW black one, and the whole army fits in there (130 models approx, including heavy weapons and rough riders), unlike the standard GW one. Also being cheaper works out a big bonus, especially when over here a GW case is costing around 50 and the double size ones 70.

RG

RCgothic
13-02-2009, 11:54
I have 3 GW large hard cases, and they definitely have their plusses. They're very durable and I can cycle while carrying three of them using the shoulder strap.

They don't use space very efficiently however, particularly for vehicles, and the pluck n pick vehicle foam is useless, I swapped to cutting up infantry trays a while ago.

Battlefoam do more efficient foam trays, and I'm about to upgrade one of my cases.
Current capacity: 6 rhinos, 2 predators, 144 troops.
Upgraded capacity: 10 rhinos, 2 Land Raiders, 100 troops.

Dropping 44 troops to get 2 extra rhino hulls and 2 more land raiders seems like a good deal to me. As another matter of comparison, battlefoam can squeeze 6 50 man troop trays into a GW case. That's 300 instead of 108. Awesomeness.