PDA

View Full Version : Engine of the Gods

Axis
10-02-2009, 11:28
Ok. So i play WoC. I've played 3 3k games in the last week. All 3 games i've had huge problems with the engine of the gods. I have had other problems too but that is just me learning my army better, i have ideas how to fix those problems.

But is there anything i can do against the engine. It kills everything. The aoe spell cant be stopped by dispel or anything, has reasonable strength so my toughness isn't brilliant and, the kick in the gonads, it allows no armour saves. All this for only a 15 points more than an ancient stegadon normally and it buffs the skink on top with armour and a wizard level. :wtf:

Ok, i've whinged about it being overpowered or whatever. Now i am over that and i just want to learn the things i can do so i don't have the same problems.

So i am trying to figure out ways to deal with it. The last game i tried sending a character into the steg to kill the skink on top. I sort of fluffed my rolls a bit and my opponent only failed 1 armour save. Is trying to assassinate/kill the skink on top a viable option?

It is hard to get to it because most of the hard stuff tends to get blasted by my opponents slaan with lore of metal, so knights become very squishy (he chooses the know all 6 spells and free power dice disciplines).

I thought of maybe blasting it with magic but lizardmen do have pretty good magic defence. So what tactics do people use against this and i guess other stegadons. I use WoC so any advice specific to them is much appreciated but i figured this could be a more general thread for all armies.

Shamfrit
10-02-2009, 11:34
The fact that it is stubborn is a huge kick in the teeth in addition to this. The only ways I've dealt with it so far are with prolonged fire, and charging one with 10 Knights, 5 of which had Lances...I still failed to break it!

We've only got one reliable solution, and that's a GW armed Shaggoth. Try one of them against it?

vampires are cool!
10-02-2009, 11:35
Dragon? Manitcore? Any big flyer (that survives the Slaans attention) should be ok to duff it over in combat. Or failing that, perhaps take a Slaanesh Giant.

kaimarion
10-02-2009, 11:52
Hmmm I'am not too sure about WoC but for Daemons thats Steg would be meeting Skull Taker and his team of BloodCrushers, bye bye Steggy :evilgrin:. While talking about Deamons I chomped Charax last night with Skull Taker and it was all very easy but it does help when you get killing blow on a 5+.

Anyway if you are playing WoC you could always attempt to suck it into the realm of chaos with a Lv 4 Tzeench Sorcerer lord if you feel like playing that way but you might want to try this with a Lv 2 aswell because LM have some pain in the a** anti-magic but even if you had two Lv 4 this still not be a good idea :(, you could also try attacking it with Dragon Ogres, Shaggoth ect that kind of thing.

Michaelius
10-02-2009, 12:03
Can you use nurgle spell nr . 1 to snipe priest on EoTG ?

UltimateNagash
10-02-2009, 12:19
Can you use nurgle spell nr . 1 to snipe priest on EoTG ?
Er, not sure. Either you choose who it hits or you randomise as normal. Except it's not a missile hit, so I believe you can choose...

grhino
10-02-2009, 14:31
I faced exactly the same problem yesterday! The EotG + Slann combo was killing me, while his troops were surviving the little magic that got through (he had the thing where he could nominate one of my characters to take out 6's on magic casting, making my lvl 4 tzeench lord practically useless!

I've got no idea with WoC on how to take on this army... they'll just use skinks to lure you into charges you do not want or blast you with their magic onslaught! And the Slann is practically impregnable when not in Base-to-base contact! And still, he had plenty of Saurus, saurus cav & temple guard to take on whatever managed to get across (which was nothing!)

galenus
10-02-2009, 16:00
Should I stop procrastinating and get that Hellcannon assembled?

Roxors45
10-02-2009, 16:07
Should I stop procrastinating and get that Hellcannon assembled?

Naw. It'll just be chasing terradons all game. Or get rocks dropped on it and "poof"

Kornath
10-02-2009, 16:27
Naw. It'll just be chasing terradons all game. Or get rocks dropped on it and "poof"

I doubt with T6 and 5 wounds that the thing is gonna go "poof" ;)

Roxors45
10-02-2009, 17:15
I doubt with T6 and 5 wounds that the thing is gonna go "poof" ;)

You'd be surprised. I've seen a Deamon prince go down to Drop rocks and a treeman, numerous Fast Cav units, wrmachines and plenty of level 4 mages and lords. Underrated to be sure.

Zeuy
10-02-2009, 22:02
So far in all of my games using the Engine of the Gods, my opponents have sent a tooled-up character out to kill the skink. Bret knight, dragons, and basically anything that turns the 2+ save into mush really make me worry.

Foegnasher
10-02-2009, 22:22
i killed two stegadons in three phases today.

yes i brought 12 Jezzails, why?

sulla
11-02-2009, 03:26
We've only got one reliable solution, and that's a GW armed Shaggoth. Try one of them against it?

Surely 3 dragon ogres w/GWs wouldn't be too bad either? Even 5 knights with lances to kill the priest quick. Or just to make sure, take Kholek...

Axis
11-02-2009, 03:46
Today i played again and did better. I mostly won the game when his slaan miscast on turn 2 and rolled a 3, my puppet modded that to a 2 and he blew up taking down 11 temple guard with him.

I think my mistake was getting charged by the engine. In a protracted combat or if you get to charge the skink priest dies quite easily.

Desert Rain
11-02-2009, 11:14
Shaggoths, Giants, Dragons, Hellcannon and charging it with knights. All of those might help you in taking it out.