PDA

View Full Version : Howling Banshees or Striking Scorpions?

ruttman15
10-02-2009, 18:02
which have you found to be better in general?? id say banshees vs. armored units, but scorpions can pump out so many attacks with their CC...
I dunno Im torn between the two.

Lord Damocles
10-02-2009, 18:05
Like most Aspect units it depends almost totally on what other units are in the Eldar army in question, and which areas need buffing: Having trouble with hoards? Scorpions with some Chainsabres. Struggling against Marines? Banshees with Executioner.

Seth the Dark
10-02-2009, 18:15
I'd choose Scorpions over Banshees because they can outflank and have a better armor save. Also, I think more attacks are better and at a higher strength.

trigger
10-02-2009, 18:16
Get both its easyer , 1st buy the ones you like the look of then when you have the money get the others. :)

Xardian
10-02-2009, 18:17
Which of the two you go for depends heavily on the context of your army and your playstyle.

I use Banshees. But I'm fielding a mech eldar force that includes a doom-ing jetbike farseer. Fleet helps the banshees still reach assault even after piling out of a serpent that the enemy has had a turn to move away from. Meanwhile, the farseer helps overcome thier lower strength and attack volume with Doom (and possible softening up from the other shooty units like warwalkers and dire avengers). And the Banshee Masks are gold against enemies with good Initiative (most mean nids, slaanesh anything, other eldar / dark eldar)

If I was fielding a more foot-slogging army I would favor striking scorpions as they won't as easily out-pace the rest of my army and get stuck with little support. Or I could use them in small squads to infilitrate or out-flank in a serpent. They may not be scoring, but they're pretty sturdy and nasty enough in combat to readily contest an objective or two of your opponents.

So for me, Banshees seem to work better when I've got more support from the rest of the army. They hit like a ton of bricks but shatter like glass. Scorpions can handle themselves better without as much support, making them good disruption units, or anti-horde melee combatants, but they don't have quite as nasty a bite against most foes.

ruttman15
10-02-2009, 18:38
hmm...im thinking some banshees as a striking unit, and then 1 or two units of scorpions (biel tan :) )

Aegius
10-02-2009, 18:58
Which of the two you go for depends heavily on the context of your army and your playstyle.

I use Banshees. But I'm fielding a mech eldar force that includes a doom-ing jetbike farseer. Fleet helps the banshees still reach assault even after piling out of a serpent that the enemy has had a turn to move away from. Meanwhile, the farseer helps overcome thier lower strength and attack volume with Doom (and possible softening up from the other shooty units like warwalkers and dire avengers). And the Banshee Masks are gold against enemies with good Initiative (most mean nids, slaanesh anything, other eldar / dark eldar)

If I was fielding a more foot-slogging army I would favor striking scorpions as they won't as easily out-pace the rest of my army and get stuck with little support. Or I could use them in small squads to infilitrate or out-flank in a serpent. They may not be scoring, but they're pretty sturdy and nasty enough in combat to readily contest an objective or two of your opponents.

So for me, Banshees seem to work better when I've got more support from the rest of the army. They hit like a ton of bricks but shatter like glass. Scorpions can handle themselves better without as much support, making them good disruption units, or anti-horde melee combatants, but they don't have quite as nasty a bite against most foes.

This explains it perfectly.

Splata
11-02-2009, 02:40
which have you found to be better in general?? id say banshees vs. armored units, but scorpions can pump out so many attacks with their CC...
I dunno Im torn between the two.

wyches!

OT: I agree with go with the ones you like more, I'm a scorpion fan so I go with scorpions.

Reflex
11-02-2009, 04:05
fluff wise i like scorps better, but game wise banshee's always seem to do more smashy smashy. just my 1 and a bit cents.

kikkoman
11-02-2009, 04:44
Trouble with hordes? Scorpions
Trouble with power armor? Scorpions with a power klaw Exarch.

higher strength, more attacks, better armor.
Even if the odds can favor banshees in certain situations, a banshee can never kill 4 targets in one round, y'know?

ruttman15
11-02-2009, 05:33
lol kikkoman, i think i can tell which you prefer by your sig :D

Righteous
31-03-2009, 02:39
haha... "And if youz looks at me funny, dakka comes outta my face"

ahhh... Scorpions are my new favorite aspect.

sabre4190
31-03-2009, 02:43
Depends on the rest of your army. If you already have a ton of dire avengers or things that can dish out mass firepower, then you probably wont need help with hordes. In that case, Banshees will give you hand in taking apart some chunkier stuff, and add some mobility.

If your army has smaller numbers, then go with scorps. They can hold their own against bigger armies, and add more resilience to your army that banshees. You get a bit more staying power, even if the potential lack of mobility can pose a problem.

So, all im adding i guess is that it depends on your army.

Hellebore
31-03-2009, 02:48
Scorpions, because scorpions are better. They sting and stab and claw and tear until you DIE IN A POOL OF LIQUEFIED AGONY while a banshee just screams YOU DON'T THINK I'M PRETTY ANY MORE! until you slit your wrists.

Hellebore

holmcross
31-03-2009, 03:08
Scorpians murder non-MEQ hordy units, and can be used in such a way that they'll be decent against MEQ.

Banshees are pretty good against MEQs, but thier advantages are very underemployed against horde units.

So all things equal (ignoring army synergy, which in truth is significant), I think scorpians are more helpful more of the time.

Filthy O'Bedlam
31-03-2009, 03:43
Banshees are scary, but Scorpions are just nasty in the newest Codex. It's very rare that my playing partner doesn't take 2 Scorpion Squads and at least one Banshee Squad, so I see alot of both of them; and I would rather face Banshees. It's the extra point of strength that does it for the Scorpions.

Cheers, Filthy

Axis
31-03-2009, 08:41
Both can dish out a lot of pain. The banshees probably need doom more though.

Banshees are faster (fleet) and are far scarier to try assault since they have counter attack and will strike first (but well, who would assault banshees when you can shoot them up).
Scorpions can outflank and are more resilient but have a lot more trouble against armour. They put out a lot of attacks but you still get saves.

If you already have alot of low-mid strength power (e.g. a few squads of dire avengers) then go for banshees. If you think you might want a bit more low-mid strength power then get scorpions.

Both are good.

mughi3
31-03-2009, 11:06
3+ save + strength 4 + infiltrate >>>>>>banshee S3 power weapon.

Irisado
31-03-2009, 11:19
This question comes around once every few months, but my answer doesn't ever really change very much.

The choice depends on the following factors:

1a. The type of Eldar army you are using (i.e. all infantry, mixed or mechanised).

1b. The other units you plan to use in your army.

2. The strategy you plan to use.

3. Whether you are building a tailored list or a take on all comers list.

These, in my opinion, are the most significant points to bear in mind when making the decision.

In general, Striking Scorpions are more durable, and can last for longer in protracted combats, making them the better choice for counter assault duties and for being used on foot. Howling Banshees, on the other hand, are a precision strike unit, which needs to be mechanised, and used with more care, as they are vulnerable to reprisals, but they have the potential to be more devastating against heavily armoured opponents (note that this is not to say Scorpions are not effective against MEQs).

For a more detailed analysis of the two units, feel free to look them up in the Eldar Guide (link via my signature).

Axis
31-03-2009, 11:49
3+ save + strength 4 + infiltrate >>>>>>banshee S3 power weapon.

I'm not sure that is fair. You missed several key points.

Scorpions: 3+ save, S4, infiltrate.
Banshees: Power Weapons, Strike first, fleet.

striking first is pretty useful but since scorpions are initiative 5 it isn't as good as it could be. So scorpions are probably better (by your analysis) than banshees but i think you are overstating the degree to which they are better.

Captain Micha
31-03-2009, 12:47
I'd say they are equal right now it just depends on what you are dealing with.

Vs Crons, and such Banshees win this hands down.

Vs Meqs again Banshees

Vs Geq (Orks, Guard and Nids) go Scorpions

Orks are so disgusting in my opinion they count as two army types. So they are tied.

Misha
31-03-2009, 13:32
I do field both on my regular list. Outflanking Scorpions and Banshees in Wave Serpent. Banshees have one big major drawback - they dont start the game in close combat :D - what I mean is that gettim them to assault is a big problem when you are facing a marine player that shakes in fear from Banshees.

Outflanking Scorpions on the other hand are waaaaay easier to get to assault. I use them with Warp Spiders and more often than not those two squads with some long range fire support cleans up one half of the table while my opponents are busy taking down fortuned Wave Serpent with 4+ cover (from speeding Vypers)

Banshees and Fire Dragons are such a great decoy :D

gitburna
31-03-2009, 14:25
Scorps will always be my faves.
Strength 4 lets them tackle vehicles, multiple attacks, high initiative and plasma grenades (fairly rare that a Banshee mask will be better), infiltrators, better armour. They are one of the few units you can sort of leave to their own devices (to a certain extent).

Plus the exarch has many of the hallmarks of The Predator, you know, dreadlocks, sweeping helmet, flared mandibles etc.

kikkoman
31-03-2009, 16:29
what situation is a banshee mask actually better?

Genestealers? Wyches? Archons? In those situations a scorpion's s4 and multitude of attacks will be more useful than a s3 power weapon.

Captain Micha
31-03-2009, 16:32
what situation is a banshee mask actually better?

Genestealers? Wyches? Archons? In those situations a scorpion's s4 and multitude of attacks will be more useful than a s3 power weapon.

Wraiths, Warriors, (heaven forbid someone else actually use them) Ravenors etc. Banshees are better for higher T units that also rely on their armor saves. Banshees are great for popping the 3+ club. Also I'd trust banshees to take out Plague Marines long before I'd trust Scorpions to do the job.

Banshees also get greater synergy with Doom, and have Warshout. (which is occasionally useful).

It really just depends on your local metagame and your army list as to which is better.

freddieyu
31-03-2009, 16:37
How about harlequins with the H kisses? With doom they can get a lot of rending attacks, so with harleys you get a balance of both the banshees and scorpions.

Oh never mind that harleys can die quickly, but the models are drop dead gorgeous...

Meriwether
31-03-2009, 16:37
It really just depends on your local metagame and your army list as to which is better.

Amen. Anyone who regularly faces Blood Angels will bring a squad of banshees in a waveserpent, backed up by a doomseer, to take on Death Company.

Death company murder striking scorpions, what with all the power weapons and all that. Banshees murder death company. (With doom support).

Meri

Grazzy
31-03-2009, 16:41
I would go with banshees in a transport if you have doom as it is a great combo.

Scorpions are better overall though as they can handle most stuff.

Captain Micha
31-03-2009, 16:41
Doom.. probably the best Psychic power ever.

Is there a turn that goes by that an Eldar -doesn't- use this power?

... save maybe 4e's Fear Of Darkness Librarian power. That's about the only one more powerful to me. Oh sure Lash is good.. but it only really helps you nail things with Oblits and heavy blast guns.

I'm not sure about Harlies, our Dars don't use em. (I was going to start using Dar and Harlies though) they look promising enough. Given the new Transport rules.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
31-03-2009, 19:25

I use fortune/Guide and Eldritch Storm/Mind War usually

It really depends on what armies you play against:
Ones that are really tough-Striking Scorpions

Ones that have a lot of elite units- Howling Banshees

If you use a table with a lot of terrain (especially difficult) or if you need a lot of attacks- Harlequins (but get a Shadowseer, if not they will get slaughtered before they get anywhere near, as well as another unit to hold the Harlies hands, and stop them getting killed)

Also Harlequins if the army has quite high initiative, or if you like clowns :)

Amen. Anyone who regularly faces Blood Angels will bring a squad of banshees in a waveserpent, backed up by a doomseer, to take on Death Company.

Doomseer?

Meriwether
31-03-2009, 19:53
Doomseer?

Sorry. 40K net lingo for "Farseer with doom".

Meri

samiens
01-04-2009, 01:56
The thing is, scorpions are much easier to avoid but banshees are easier to neutralise- any enemy with sense won't allow you an outflanking charge if possible and if you get the worng side you can be totally out of the game. Statistically scorpions are more versatile but I would go with:

a) The unit you can invisage pulling off an insertion method for
b) the unit that works best with your list- if you need a tough distraction, scorpions are best, if you need shock troops to knock out an enemies strongest unit then banshies are better.
c) The other thing to remember is that banshees need more support than scorpions- doom is a must really. That said, banshees are faster so can react better if you're a shooting player and can be the focus of a force- I've yet to see scorpions pull that off
d) Oh, and scorpions look nicer IMO!

Brucopeloso
01-04-2009, 08:46
Banshees are nasty but need a farseer to perform well and are more restricted in terms of targets, i.e. they excel at slaughtering MEQ and terminators (unless they come with storm shield). They will give stealers and harlequins a run for their money as well.

Scorpions on the other hand are sick against hordes and with S4, plenty of attacks, infiltrate, power armour and the scorpion claw need much less support and are way more flexible.

A unit of infiltrating scorpions will give many guard and tau players a lot to worry about and will make an excellent countercharge unit when facing more cc oriented armies.

Captain Micha
01-04-2009, 12:46
Brucopeloso: actually scorpions don't scare me any more than Banshees do as Tau or Ig. When your fighting effectiveness is that of a scared little girl, a dedicated assault unit is going to rape your face anyway. Either one is going to wipe a squad. In probably the first assault phase.

Brucopeloso
01-04-2009, 12:58
Brucopeloso: actually scorpions don't scare me any more than Banshees do as Tau or Ig. When your fighting effectiveness is that of a scared little girl, a dedicated assault unit is going to rape your face anyway. Either one is going to wipe a squad. In probably the first assault phase.

True but the scorpions can infiltrate and while banshees are as good at slaughtering Tau or IG infantry as the scorpions, the scorpions are pretty good at popping tanks in close combat as well (S4 and the claw), plus with power armour they are less allergic to heavy bolter fire than the banshees.

Captain Micha
01-04-2009, 13:04
I would never field the Claw with Scorpions. I is too important. (though the Claw looks cool it's not as good as a Biting Blade)

I've found that Banshees very rarely if ever Foot Slog. most of the time they have Serpes Disease.

mchmr6677
01-04-2009, 13:46
I would never field the Claw with Scorpions. I is too important. (though the Claw looks cool it's not as good as a Biting Blade)

I've found that Banshees very rarely if ever Foot Slog. most of the time they have Serpes Disease.

Why not field them both?

Captain Micha
01-04-2009, 13:48
Two squads of Scorps? Grant it in my local metagame that might not be a terrible idea (Gunline City out here, even the Nid guy does it!) but I doubt it'd be a solution for everyone :D

Banshees and Scorps together make a nasty force too. And you still have an Elite left for the obligatory Fire Dragons.

Irisado
01-04-2009, 13:49

I take the opposite view, in that I would nearly always take the Scorpion's Claw, since it makes the unit far more effective against MEQs (which I face more than GEQs).

The Claw makes the Scorpions more effective against a wider variety of opposing units, and given that the high number of attacks from the regular Scorpions will usually kill quite a few members of the opposing squad, the reduced initiative of the Exarch shouldn't be a factor in my experience.

scarletsquig
01-04-2009, 14:39
With all the ork armies floating around these days, I would go for scorpions.

Not needing to take a transport for them and their higher durability is a major bonus.

Plus, they can still put up a pretty decent fight against marines, they're not bad at all.

Maxtermynd
01-04-2009, 20:19
I mostly favor scorps because of the first time that I used them. It was in an impromptu 4k game of Neo-Eldar (Tau and Eldar) and Marines. I sent my scorps in a wave serpent (didn't know about this "outflanking" nonsense at the time... yay being a n00b!) to the rear of the marine lines. My transport got shot to hell and my scorps were assaulted by assault marines. I killed 5 of them, they killed 2 of me, and I sweeping advanced them to death. Consolidated 6 inches, assaulted a group of attack bikes, slaughtered them. It took a squad of terminators, a devastator squad, and a rapid fire squad of marines to eliminate my boys at range because nobody wanted to get close, by which time the rest of our armies had mopped everything else up.

As for claw vs blade... still not sure. I almost prefer the blade because it makes a better tank hunting weapon (3 S7 hits on rear armor vs S6? Yes please!). Plus, Scorps don't really want to win combat too quickly; two rounds is pretty much perfect for them.

*edit* Gah! Stupid mandiblasters making scorps even MORE awesome...

mchmr6677
02-04-2009, 04:02
Remember though, one doesn't have to pick between the biting blade or the claw, you can just take both.

And don't forget the 4th attack for charging puts that up to 4 S8 attacks...

Ravenous
02-04-2009, 04:04
Biting blade all the way, you really only get 3 attacks that will kill marines but do bugger all against tanks.

The biting blade is cheaper and against tanks you can get an easy S8 on the charge especially if it doesnt move.

Or as mentioned above, take both :p

holmcross
02-04-2009, 05:32

It always cracks me up that its "Till the Eldar player's next turn"

Eldar have the funniest codex, especially if you're used to reading other ones.

Irisado
02-04-2009, 10:17
Neither Striking Scorpions nor Howling Banshees are really anti-tank units, so I feel that the discussion on the Biting Blade is missing the point.

The more valid comparison, in my opinion, is to discuss the merits of the two units against infantry, against whom it has already been established that they are quite close in performance.

It is also important to point out that there are a lot of MEQ squads out there, so the Scorpion's Claw really is essential for the Striking Scorpion Exarch as far as I am concerned.

In addition, if the Scorpions do end up in a position whereby they can make an opportunistic assault against a tank, don't forget that close assault attacks strike the rear armour in fifth edition, thus the Scorpion's Claw is usually strong enough to cause damage. As I say, however, assaulting tanks really is not the primary concern for Striking Scorpions in my opinion.

mughi3
02-04-2009, 10:30
I killed 5 of them, they killed 2 of me, and I sweeping advanced them to death.
Maxtermynd
Just a little P.S. to the noob...you cannot sweeping advance marines they have ATKNF. they just turn around and keep fighting you after taking some additional armor saves(they count as fearless in that case).

Razarael
02-04-2009, 14:10
Neither Striking Scorpions nor Howling Banshees are really anti-tank units, so I feel that the discussion on the Biting Blade is missing the point.

The more valid comparison, in my opinion, is to discuss the merits of the two units against infantry, against whom it has already been established that they are quite close in performance.

It is also important to point out that there are a lot of MEQ squads out there, so the Scorpion's Claw really is essential for the Striking Scorpion Exarch as far as I am concerned.

In addition, if the Scorpions do end up in a position whereby they can make an opportunistic assault against a tank, don't forget that close assault attacks strike the rear armour in fifth edition, thus the Scorpion's Claw is usually strong enough to cause damage. As I say, however, assaulting tanks really is not the primary concern for Striking Scorpions in my opinion.

I don't think it's fair to eliminate a units capability even if it's not it's primary function. There are plenty of situations when it would be fesible, if not the best option, for the Scorpions to assault a tank, and it's an option that Banshees do not even remotely share.

If there's an unfortunate outflank roll, and they come on the board where you would rather them, and there's the option between a well entrenched tank (any number of the new IG artillery pieces that can fire indirect) and their bodyguard unit. A tank that if not destroyed or at least shaken could knock out the entire scorpion squad with a well placed ordnance blast. I would go for the tank every time. Against an imobile tank, the biting blade is guaranteed to be 4 S8 hits versus AV10 (against the utter majority of tanks).

That is of course, just one situation, but there are plenty like it. Scorpions are good because they are a catch-all. Infiltrating into a place alone, they need to be able to do everything to some degree (most of which, they actually do exceedingly well). I think taking the biting blade certainly does have its merits. And what's this I hear about taking both the Claw and the Biting Blade. For a mere 5 points extra, why not! When I first read this, I double checked the 'ole codex, and sure enough, it's possible.

Anyhow, that all said, I use Banshees. When it comes to close combat, I like to bring back a bit of chivalry- the Ladies always go first in my games. Get it? The pun? Go first/strike first. Haha. I slay me. :)

Brucopeloso
02-04-2009, 15:35

Exactly my point. With the fact that close assault attacks strike the rear armour in fifth edition scorpions can (and with infiltrate often do) tank hunt, they can kill hordes, handle MEQ and terminators and absorb some damage.

Banshees, while very strong and terrifying against the right target have less flexibility.

Having said that is really a matter of what else is in the list and how you want to play as both units like most eldar stuff, are very good when used properly and utterly useless if misused.

Maxtermynd
02-04-2009, 16:51
Huh... marines are cheesier than I thought. Oh well, not my fault that my opponent didn't know the rules for his own army...

Irisado
02-04-2009, 18:24
I don't think it's fair to eliminate a units capability even if it's not it's primary function. There are plenty of situations when it would be fesible, if not the best option, for the Scorpions to assault a tank, and it's an option that Banshees do not even remotely share.

If the Howling Banshee Exarch is equipped with the Executioner, it can be argued that Banshees can take vehicles with AV10 rear armour in close combat.

My point, however, is not to argue that Striking Scorpions must never be used for tank hunting, rather that this is not what most players are going to be using them for, so why equip them to be used in a role to which they are not particularly well suited?

If they are primarily used to deal with infantry, then I feel this is how they should be equipped, and the Scorpion's Claw makes the unit more effective against a wider variety of infantry units than the Biting Blade does in my opinion.

If there's an unfortunate outflank roll, and they come on the board where you would rather them, and there's the option between a well entrenched tank (any number of the new IG artillery pieces that can fire indirect) and their bodyguard unit. A tank that if not destroyed or at least shaken could knock out the entire scorpion squad with a well placed ordnance blast. I would go for the tank every time. Against an imobile tank, the biting blade is guaranteed to be 4 S8 hits versus AV10 (against the utter majority of tanks).

I would argue that outflanking with the Striking Scorpions isn't usually the best way to use them, and it's better to either run them as a counter assault unit or infiltrate them, but that's perhaps a debate for another thread, as I don't want to go off at a tangent into discussing the merits of outflanking here :).

Scorpions are good because they are a catch-all.

Agreed, but I don't personally include tanks in their 'catch all' status, so I think this is where we differ.

And what's this I hear about taking both the Claw and the Biting Blade. For a mere 5 points extra, why not! When I first read this, I double checked the 'ole codex, and sure enough, it's possible.

It's possible, but I don't recommend it. I feel that spending those points on Stalker is more useful. Having two weapons and having to choose between them is unnecessary in my view if you use the Striking Scorpions to engage infantry, and if they do have to assault a tank, then three strength six attacks from the Scorpion's Claw should be sufficient against tanks with poor rear armour. Even if they had the Biting Blade, I wouldn't recommend using them to assault a vehicle with AV14 all round, such as the Land Raider, so I don't really see the need to take it.

Anyhow, that all said, I use Banshees. When it comes to close combat, I like to bring back a bit of chivalry- the Ladies always go first in my games. Get it? The pun? Go first/strike first. Haha. I slay me. :)

Oh dear, I think my puns must be contagious ;).

mchmr6677
02-04-2009, 20:20
My point, however, is not to argue that Striking Scorpions must never be used for tank hunting, rather that this is not what most players are going to be using them for, so why equip them to be used in a role to which they are not particularly well suited?

I think it is wrong to think of the biting blade as a anti-armor only weapon however. It is only a 5pt upgrade to give the exarch both the blade and the claw, and against orks, the blade may be of better use. Sometimes, the claw going last gives you a chance to finish off the nob and not bother needing them to fail leadership, however against many of the horde units that the scorps go after, the claw is unneeded.

Case 1.) Scorps are charged by or charge a large ork boy squad. It is better to strike first then the strike harder in this case because the scorps need to neutralize the amount of attacks that come there way. Thus use the blade.

Case 2.) Scorps are charged by or charge a tyranid gaunt squad. In this case the claw is utterly unneeded and the exarch should use the blade to strike first.

Case 3.) Scorps are charged by or charge a space marine squad. In this case having the claw is invaluable because it allows you to pick off one or two marines after the scorps wounds have been distributed and saved.

Irisado
02-04-2009, 20:35
With regard to case one, are there really that many Ork Mobs which are not led by a Nob in some form of heavy armour though? (I haven't faced Orks since their new Codex came out, so I'm asking because I'm genuinely uncertain)

I agree with you about case two, so that's a fair point.

I naturally completely agree with you about case three, and since I face MEQs practically all of the time when I play, this does affect my judgement on this issue to a certain extent, but I still feel that the Claw is the more useful of the two against a wider variety of squads.

Tarquinn
02-04-2009, 20:45
Re: Banshees

I'm an Eldar player since 1995. I own two beautifully painted Banshee squads.
I haven't used Banshees since my group stopped playing 2nd Edition.

I think there is a point in that anecdote.

Remember though, one doesn't have to pick between the biting blade or the claw, you can just take both.

And don't forget the 4th attack for charging puts that up to 4 S8 attacks...

Wait, shouldn't that be S6? :eyebrows:

mchmr6677
02-04-2009, 20:57
Wait, shouldn't that be S6? :eyebrows:

No, the biting blade's strength is worked out as follows:

Take the S3 exarch and add 1 for having the blade just like a scorp chainsword and then add 1 to the strength for each hit scored. Thus against an immobile vehicle with auto-hits, the exarch with blade will by getting 4 S8 hits.

With regard to case one, are there really that many Ork Mobs which are not led by a Nob in some form of heavy armour though? (I haven't faced Orks since their new Codex came out, so I'm asking because I'm genuinely uncertain)

Most players that I face do not put the 'Evy armor on the nobs as the squad is far better armor then a 4+ save provides. Afterall, armor upgrades just mean that the nob will have 1 or 2 less boyz to take the wound in the first place.

Maxtermynd
02-04-2009, 20:58
He's using the biting blade in that example, as it adds +1 S for each hit that the exarch makes.

I will say that it depends on your metagame which you take- MEQs are the majority, claw will probably win out, and even in some other places the claw will be fine, as he still has the scorpion blade to strike first with.

I just personally prefer the blade as it's cheaper and more useful in the "everyone let's do mech!" group that I play with, where I need AT everywhere. I am also in love with outflanking, perhaps a bit too much, which might also be clouding my vision.

edit: my first ninja'd. Aww.

borithan
02-04-2009, 20:59
S3 basic eldar. +1 for Biting blade as a base. Then +1 for every hit you get. Base of 2 attacks, +1 for mandiblasters and +1 for charging. If they all hit you strike 4 times with s8 as the Biting Blade is S= 3+1+(+1 for every hit).

Beaten to it.

Tarquinn
02-04-2009, 21:01
No, the biting blade's strength is worked out as follows:

Take the S3 exarch and add 1 for having the blade just like a scorp chainsword and then add 1 to the strength for each hit scored. Thus against an immobile vehicle with auto-hits, the exarch with blade will by getting 4 S8 hits.
Yes, you're absolutely correct. Thought you were talking about the claw. My bad.