PDA

View Full Version : 2250 points Army of Nagarythe

Captain Galenus
10-02-2009, 21:19
The idea behind this came after reading the Malekith novel. The concept is based around the army Malekith took to the colonies, and loyal forces used to retake Anlec. I also want it to be fairly competitive, hence the addition of Mages. I can also add 2 lion Chariots.

You may notice that I haven't created a Malekith character, any advice on the best way to build him would be most appreciated.

Here's the list, any comments welcome

Prince, 278 pts- Barbed steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, Starlance, Vambraces of Defence

Noble, 216 pts- Barbed steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, BSB Battle Banner, Lance

Mage, 185 pts- Level 2 (High magic), Silver Wand, Dispell scroll

Mage, 185 pts- Level 2 (Lore of Fire), Seer Staff, Dispell scroll

Core

22 x Spearmen, Full Command with Lion Standard 248 pts
22 x Spearmen, Full Command 223 pts
10 x Archers 110 pts

Special

5 x Reavers - Spears and bows 105 pts
5 x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Banner of Sorcery 250 pts
joined by Prince
5 x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Banner of Arcane Protection, Sword of Battle 250 pts
joined by Noble

Rare

2 x Repeater Bolt thrower

WhiteKnight
11-02-2009, 02:21
Wait? Its nagarythe themed and there's no shadow warriors?!!

Captain Galenus
11-02-2009, 21:07
Nagarythe before the sundering. No offense but to quote myself

The idea behind this came after reading the Malekith novel. The concept is based around the army Malekith took to the colonies, and loyal forces used to retake Anlec.

g0ddy
12-02-2009, 18:23
I have not 'read' malekith (yet..)

But im not seeing any particular theme here? Is your prince supposed to represent malekith himself?

Whats with the 22 man spearmen units?

~ zilla

Dragon Prince of Caledor
12-02-2009, 21:29
I have not 'read' malekith (yet..)

But im not seeing any particular theme here? Is your prince supposed to represent malekith himself?

Whats with the 22 man spearmen units?

~ zilla

Coudl you fill us in on special troops mentioned in the book that fit his force then it will be easier for us to tell you that it fits and looks cool!! :)

Captain Galenus
12-02-2009, 22:21
Gav T puts great emphasis on Malekith's use of Knights, Spearmen and Archers. There is some mention of the Raven Heralds (todays Dark Riders). I have tried to find units that best represent an elven army with hundreds of years of battle experience, hence using High Elves (ASF).
I thought about building Malekith, but I can't seem to create a character who can cast spells, has "good" magic armour and sword.
I was hoping for feedback on the army itself, not the theme of the army (already discussed elsewhere).
If anyone can create a viable Malekith, please post it. Thanks

g0ddy
12-02-2009, 23:03
Was he a spell caster in his days amung the highelves? or was that gained later? (again.. not having read the book...)

Gem of Hoeth is always a good option.. if nothing else would represent his "initial" dabblings in magic... or what about the rules for Eltharion?

~ zilla

Captain Galenus
13-02-2009, 20:03
Gav T says Malekith learned magic as he grew up. I considered the Gem of Hoeth, never thought about using Eltharion's rules, I check him out.
Any one else any ideas

KillbotFactory
13-02-2009, 20:34
I was hoping for feedback on the army itself, not the theme of the army (already discussed elsewhere).

Since these 2 things are not mutually exclusive it makes sense that people ask about your theme when considering your army.

As for the army itself, it is decent enough but I see some obvious flaws. I see a clash between two different forces in your army. You have a huge amount of points invested in something that is trying to engage in combat as quickly as possible and yet a high amount of points invested in magic and slower moving blocks.

Currently, your characters in the unit of Dragon Princes are just too small and vulnerable. They get no "look out sir" as you only have 4 RnF and so fully expect a cannonball to take out your bsb in turn 1 and probably your lord in turn 2. Sword of battle is also something I would question as having another S3 attack is hardly a good way to spend 20 points. Items you should consider giving your champion are things like.. Amulet of Light, Dragonhorn for undead/demon armies, or even the Skeinsliver.

I would drop the second unit of spearmen and use those points to beef up both units of dragon princes to something like 8 strong.

Also, having previously used that exact lord combo I made the switch to using: Star Lance, Talisman of Loec, Helm of Fortune and Guardian Phoenix. The talisman guarantees ass whooping on the charge and you still keep a very respectable 1+/5+ save.

Anyways, I hope I gave you some food for though. Good luck building your army.

Captain Galenus
14-02-2009, 21:13
Thanks Killbotfactory, I'll definitely change the Drakemaster's sword for one of your ideas (probably the Skeinsliver unless fighting Daemons/Undead). I'll probably keep the two blocks of spears cos it fits the background of the army, and drop the reavers and use the points to boost the dragon princes to at least 6 each. As for the Lord, I'll try my build first, but keep your idea as a second option, especially when fighting chaos.

Captain Galenus
20-02-2009, 19:41
Right, taken a while but I've got round to re-writing this list (and 2 more which I've posted as well).

Anyway, here it is. Comments etc welcome

Prince, 278 pts- Barbed steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, Starlance, Vambraces of Defence

Noble, 216 pts- Barbed steed, Heavy Armour, Shield, BSB Battle Banner, Lance

Mage, 185 pts- Level 2 (High magic), Silver Wand, Dispell scroll

Mage, 185 pts- Level 2 (Lore of Fire), Seer Staff, Dispell scroll

Core

20 x Spearmen, Full Command 205 pts
20 x Spearmen, Full Command 205 pts
10 x Archers 110 pts

Special

5 x Reavers - Spears and bows 105 pts
6 x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Banner of Sorcery 280 pts
joined by Prince
6 x Dragon Princes, Full Command, Banner of Ellyrion, Skeinsliver (on Drakemaster) joined by Noble 270 pts

Rare

2 x Repeater Bolt thrower