PDA

View Full Version : Orc & Goblin Question

Son of Horus
10-02-2009, 22:31
Sorry to dredge up an old topic but I simply cannot find a good answer anywhere.

I am new to Warhammer Fantasy but played way back in 3rd Edition. I have picked up an Orc & Goblin Army and have what I know is an old and silly question.

In this new edition can Orcs & Goblins make use of Ogre's via the Dogs of War Special Rule? If so can anyone direct me to an official answer on the GW site that still works? Or any other site that does? Is it on Warseer?

Thanks for your patience.

Tony

Braad
10-02-2009, 22:37
Well... its a bit difficult to answer it the way you wan't it answered.

The last thing we heard from GW is that you should refer to DOW rules and ogre rules for how to field them in other armies, and since those books give all necessary rules, the rare-slots that used to be in al armybooks is now removed and are not necessary (we had an official quote from Gav Thorpe on this when he was still boss).
This causes a bit of a problem RAW wise, since ogre specifically require this rare slot. However, if we play as intended on that last quote from GW, then you can use those ogres as a single rare choice in an O&G army, and I believe maneaters for two rares, because that's what is required according to ogre armybook.

The problem is, any reference to those rules and the quote given by GW is gone since the update of their website...

On the one hand, they told us we can use them, and never told us that time is over.
On the other hand, they don't actually give us rules right now.

DOW and Ogre mercenaries are a bit walking in the shadow right now. But I say: use them. I would always allow them as long as we don't get any countermessage from GW. Opinions on this might vary though.

Son of Horus
10-02-2009, 22:48
Thank you for the reply.

I kind of figured as much as I was unable to find any link or page that referenced it.

Most of my games are with friends so it is really not that big of an issue. I even emailed GW for an answer and they will not reply back. I can only assume others have as well and like most customer service they just hope you'll go away.

I guess another question would be:

Orc & Goblins can upgrade 1 unit to Big 'Uns. So I can upgrade a unit of normal Orc Boyz and a unit of Savage Orcs both to Big 'Uns? Right?

Neckutter
10-02-2009, 23:30
if you buy the ogre kingdoms book, im pretty sure you can use some of those units in other armies. check it out.

yes, one unit of big uns per army.(normally)

Nuada
10-02-2009, 23:39

I've always thought this as well, but it's not as black and white as it sounds.

There's a bullet point for each relevant unit, so it's also possible to interpret this as meaning ......one orc boy unit per army, one sav orc unit per army.

I'm not sure which is right :confused:

Neckutter
11-02-2009, 00:49
i think what it is trying to say is that one orc unit per army may be big uns. i just read the orc rulebook and the wording is kinda misleading. maybe they can have one of each type of unit be big uns. at any rate, i could see this going either way. since i only use one unit of big uns, it isnt a problem. as long as you paid the points i dont see a big deal with you having orc big uns, boar boy big uns, and savage orc big uns in the same army.

WLBjork
11-02-2009, 05:02
For the big'un question, there was a fairly recent debate here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181502).

(note it's about 10 posts down).

Braad
11-02-2009, 08:26
if you buy the ogre kingdoms book, im pretty sure you can use some of those units in other armies. check it out.

Well, yes you can, but it also requires the receiving armybooks to have the rare-slot for DOW, and they have just been removing those. However, as I said, as far as I understood from what GW said back then it was not meant to exclude any kind of DOW, so also not ogres. Meaning: RAW its not allowed anymore, but intention was that it should be. But its all a bit weird.

What I heard, it differs per tournament, some allow them, some don't, ask beforehand is the best thing to do.
In friendly play, just agree on what to do beforehand.

About that Big 'Un debate, indeed I think everything is said in that other discussion, so no need to do that again. I was in favour of the "1 big 'un per unit type", but others are not, and its a bit up to interpretation, so read what's written, and try to find your answer there.

Son of Horus
11-02-2009, 19:37
Thanks to all for the feedback and the link to the previous discussion.