PDA

View Full Version : 2250 skaven vs. new lizards

Foegnasher
11-02-2009, 01:57
had a game today vs a nasty lizard list:

he had
space frog: bsb, 2+ wd vs shooting, knows all spells, +1 die to each spell cast, with the lore of fire, reroll miscasts
saurus hero, great weapon & ?
skink, ancient steggie, engine of the gods, spell was the 1st one, reroll hits and misses, diadem of screw your magic phase
sking hero, lance of bonus inpact hits, regular steggie
19 saurus, spears, full command
14 temple gaurd, full command
2 x 10 skinks, posion blowpipes
1 x 10 cameleon skinks, posion blowpipes
2 razerdons, 6 skinks.

i brought my new and improved skaven tourney list
warlord, heavy armor, shield
2 x warlock, full kit, no spistol, dispel scroll
chief, bsb, war banner

4 x 20 slaves
5 x 25 clanrats, banner, mu
2 x 24 giant rats, 4 packmasters
4 x 6 nightrunners, xhw
2 x 6 jezzails
2 x 10 plague monks
2 x 6 plague censer bearers.

the field
(lizard side)
---------------------(rocks)-
------woods----------------
----------------------------
-lake------------tower------
----------------------------
---house--------------woods
--------------hill------------
(skaven side)

deployment:
Lizards:
razordons (to the side of the woods), skinks in woods, templegaurd w/slann, ancient steg, saurus w/ saurus hero, stegadon, skinks behind the tower, cameleon skinks in the corner of the woods near my DZ.
Skaven:
plaguemonks, PCBS, nightrunners, house, nightrunners, giant rats(back at an angle)slaves, slaves (w/ three units of clanrats, (bsb, warlord, warlock) behind them, hill w/2 units of jezzails, 2 units of slaves, with two units of clanrats behind, giant rats (at an angle) ,pcbs, w/ plague monks behind, 2 units of nightrunners behind the woods.

skaven turn 1
Brian won, and let me go first. (?)
from the left flank:
the outside nightraunners stretch in a line, and screen the pcbs and amonks as they turn. the other nightrunners head out to the other side of the house, the slaves all move up and angle varios ways to screw up his advance, the clanrats and giant rats move up , basically makeing a large semicircle. the monks on the right skirt the forest with the PCBs slideing between the two slave units. the nightrunners enter the forest, makeing sure to stay out of the line of sight of the cameleon skinks.
magic.
he dispelled both blasts of warplightning, they were directed at his ancient stegadon.
shooting.
the jezzails unleash hell. 4 wounds and a dead crew member on the ancient stegadon.

Lizard turn one 1

from (my left flank

the razordonks angle, and move to the edge of the lake. the skinks move through the forest and peek out. the temple gaurd, ancient steggie, and saurdus all keep pace moveing up together, the setgan=don w/ skink hero tries to angle a bit. the skinks ovccupy the tower. the camelons, sensing danger fall back.

magic:
engine of the goss gives the 5+ ward save (i am reminded of the big dinosaur things the gungans had in teh phantom menace, since it only works outside of 12 ")
fire magic goes everywhere, i dispel scroll the worst and use my dice on the rest, thank god his missed the casting cost on one spell! no damage.

shooting. razordons eat three handlers and kill 1 nightrunner. ooh. scarey. the skinks in the left forest kill 2 giant rats.

skaven 2.

Charges:
the leftmost giant rats charge the skinks peeking out from the woods. they flee and the charge is failed.
moves:
the monks turn and move up between the lake and the house, the nightrunners that were screening move across the lake into a flanking postion on the razerdons, the pcb's say screw it, and move into the lake, spread wide. the other nightrunners move up. so that they are in the gap between the lake and the forest. the clanrats jocky, but mainly hold postion, the slaves move even close and turn this way and that. the giant rats on the right fall in behind the monks, with the pcbs in front of the monks close to the tower. teh nightrunners break cover, moveing to the edge of the forest where they can see out.
magic:
he uses his only scroll, and shuts me down again.
shooting:
the jezzails came to play today, they put a wound on the priest, and kill the ancient steggie, 5+ wd save be damned. *booyah!*

Lizard 2

charges! the temple gaurd charge a unit of slaves, (who flee, duh) the saurus charge a unit of slaves, (who flee)

moves:
the razordons back up, teh skinks rally, the shaman heads into the woods, the stegggie gets into terror range of another unit of slaves. the skinks in the tower hold, the cameleons back up further.
magic: he miscasts, and i get a free warplightning, be blows his despel roll, and the steggie gets 2 wounds and a wound on the hero!
shooting:
the razordons eat 2 more handlers, and kill another nightrunner from the same unit. still no panic., the skinks maange to kill a censer bearer.

skaven 3.
the slaves on the right fail their terror check and leg it to the base of the hill with the jezzails.

charges, both nightrunner units try to charge the razordons(the left one fails the fear test, and the right one makes it.)the giant rats and a unit of slaves hti the temple gaurd in the front and flank.the censer bearers charge the tower, the skinks flee and get away, the censers stop just short.

moves:
the pcb's are out of range, and move to flank the razordons, the monks make the turn into the gap formerly held by the nightrunners.the clanrats move up, but hold ranks on the left, on the right they spread out a bit, the nightrunners on the right adavance on the skinks, with the monsk moveing up to support.
magic:
i miscast, and he launches a fire spell, but only gets one jezzail
shooting:
the first unit of jezzails takes down the stegadon! the other shoots 2 sauruses (saurii?)

cc,

the nightrunners kill the last handler (the razordons go stupid) but they kill 2 back, lost combat, but INSANE COURAGE!!!woot! the slaves kill 1 temple gaurd, and they kill a bunch of rats. we lose combat by a lot. the slaves break and fleei into the sauruses (dead) and the giant rats flee to withing 1' of the clanrats line, with the gaurd hot on thier heels.

lizard 3.

the skinks rally

charges, the rallied skinks charge the engaed nightunners in the flank. the temple gaurd charge and catch the giant rats, overrunning into 2 units of clanrats, the bsb adn general's unit.

moves:the saurus warriors position for the killer charge., the cameleons fall back into the rocks. the wounded hero tiptoes behind the lines headed for the woods.

magic, with the slaan in cc, and pivoted, he can't cast, the priest (whoi has his nose out of th ewoods) tries to cast the rerolls, but i kill it.

shooting, some nightrunners eat it on the right flank.

in cc, he kills a few rats, but the general kills a few temple gaurd back, combat is a draw. the razordon and skins finish off the nightrunners, the skinks restrain.

skaven 4.

the slaves rally in front of the hill

cumpolsory: the frenzied pcbs charge the saurus in the flank, only 2 get into cc. the other pcbs charge the skinks, who flee, but don't escape. the monks charge straight into the razordons. (i think he forgot to stand and shoot) the third clanrat unit charges the temple gaurd in the flank. got em. the far right unit, in a fit of stupidity, tries to charge into the sarus front to help the plague censers with static res. (it didnt work) the rightmost nightrunners charge the cameleons, but lose 2 to a stand and shoot, and pass thier panic.

moves
night runners move behind teh combat (they were str 4 , and it woulldnt matter anyway. the other nightrunners move up screening the monks from the skinks. the giant rats turn, ready for a flank charge if things go bad.

magic,

i get off a warpstone assisted bolt of warplightning and send the skink hero to meet the old ones in person.

shooting

the jezzails shoot at the priest in teh woods, but none hit (note to self, big stuff, ok, close stuff, ok, little stuff far away in the woods? no.)

cc. the temple gaurd lose 1, we lose 5, we win. they stay. teh saurus butcher the clanrats, and the censer beaers kill 3 ogf thier own number, the lizards kill another. they overrun into the clanrats with the warlock. catching the ones they beat. themonks break the razordons and run them down, the nigthrunners kill a single cameleon and are beaten, and flee back behind the monks, with skinks in hot persuit.

Lizard 4.

charges:
the cameleons run down the fleeing nightrunners,

moves, the priest moves out of the woods.

magic, i dispel the preists spell.

shooting the skink skirmishers panic the nightrunners, who flee to 1" in front of the monks.

cc:
we kill 2 temple gaurd, they kill 7 clanrats, draw. teh sarus butcher the clanrats, run them down and overrun into a jezzail unit. the nearby slaves freak out and flee.

skaven 5.
the nightrunners rally. ****. the are stuck in front of the monks

charges. the giant rats charge the saurus in the flank. shoulda waited a turn, dammit. :(

moves: the censer bearers break outta the woods, the warlock leaves the temple gaurd combat. (i just now remember he picked up a wound from a warplightning somewhere...)the monks of both groups about face and move 2 1/2" the other jezzails move off the hill to keep from being paniced.

magic: goodbye, skink preist.

shooting, none.

CC
the clanrats kill some more temple gaurd, start putting on the pain. my general is laying them low, they are down to teh the front rank. they lose, but stay. the sarus with the hero mincemeats the jezzails, which gives them enough ct to overcome the giantrats flank charge, they flee away, and wont rally.

Lizard 5

the saurus turn to face the rear of the flanking clanrats. ugh.

magic, none.

shooring, 4 monks and 2 nighrunners die to various skink shooting. the nightrunners pass thier panic check

cc. the temple gaurd are down to 4. they stay.

skaven 6

the pcbs charge the frog in the back of the temple gaurd unit.

moves: the last nightrunner hides in the building, the monks turn to face teh cameleons.

magic and shooting targets the saruii juggarnaut, but it is dispelled, and the jezzails only kill 1 saurus, another jezzail explodes from the tension.

cc. the monks kill more of thier own, (2) and only put one wound on the frog. the temple gaurd are down to 2 men. not enough.

lizard 6.

charge of the mighty saurus.

the skinks leg it to the left most table qaurter to contest,

the cameleons shoot the monks down to 1.

in cc. the sarus kill 7. i finish off the temple garud and put 1 wound on the frog. he wins, but only the unit he charged in the rear breaks.

result
DRAW.

damn. thought i had him

at the end of the game he had.
space frog
sarus hero
sarus unit
skink unit
cameleon unit
3 banners
1 board quarter

i had
general
bsb
1/2 warlock
clanrat unit
pcb unit
1/2 clanrat unit (rellay only 4 left. those temple gaurd are tough)
1 nightrunner unit
1 monk unit
1/2 nightrunner unit (1 guy on the tower)
1/2 monk unit (1 pissed off lonley monk)

he won by about 270.

fun game. and bloody, he killed tons of skaven.

thoughts:

the sarus blocks are bad ass. the temple gaurd may be able to take a punch, but the sarus can dish out the hurt. i was unimpressed by the razordons, but i think they had a bad game. skinks are as annoying as ever. jezzails fix the stegadon problem.

From somewhere benath your feet, foegnasher.... OUT!

Malorian
11-02-2009, 03:03
You sure outnumbered him by a great deal.

Those spear saurus fully ranked up are scary indeed, but you did very well and came pretty close.

Keep it up :)

hawo0313
11-02-2009, 09:03
I'm sure if you'd kept on going you could have drowned him in skaven (how many more men did you have) anyway great battle.

TroyJPerez
11-02-2009, 09:17
Wow I'm impressed that you played a lizardmen player who didn't cover half the feild in water, lol.

Famder
11-02-2009, 10:06
You got lucky that he forgot his Razordons had to stand and shoot, it probably would have hurt those units that charged them. Those casualties could have either stopped the charge or kept the numbers low enough to assist in winning the combat.

Foegnasher
11-02-2009, 11:46
You got lucky that he forgot his Razordons had to stand and shoot, it probably would have hurt those units that charged them. Those casualties could have either stopped the charge or kept the numbers low enough to assist in winning the combat.

i forgot too. i dont like forgetting stuff like that.

SevenSins
11-02-2009, 19:53
good grief not much left at the end!
Some pics would be great, foegnasher, both to show of your massive army and to better show of the movements (can get confusing when there is 21 units.... and thats just your army :D )

Foegnasher
11-02-2009, 20:30
you are one pesky Norwiegan!

OK! OK!

I'll bring the camera to the next game, yeesh.

w3rm
12-02-2009, 01:00
Nice batrep foegnasher I always look forward to you reps:P

Feefait
12-02-2009, 02:26
no ratling guns or warpfire throwers? kudos to you. i like your arrangement and you played really well. i'm surpirsed at some of his choices with the stegadons, but maybe it was different in person. good game, actualy surprised he got a draw.

Foegnasher
12-02-2009, 02:41
Nice batrep foegnasher I always look forward to you reps:P

nice to have a fan, W3rm.

no ratling guns or warpfire throwers? kudos to you. i like your arrangement and you played really well. i'm surpirsed at some of his choices with the stegadons, but maybe it was different in person. good game, actualy surprised he got a draw.

i actually don't favor weapons teams that often anymore.

and i'f i hadn't been an idiot, and charged teh saurus in the flank with the giant rats until AFTER he finish chewing up the jezzails, i would have beaten him.

so close.

Golden Lion
12-02-2009, 09:27
Very tense report Foegnasher! Thanks for putting it up. You really were forcing his hand in the early game with the slaves and then toppling the two dinosaurs. But as you said, those combat blocks took and dished pain like there was no tomorrow.

Don't flame yourself about that premature giant rat charge, in a battle that tense and full of chaos, it is all a lot less logical. Only afterwards eh?

By the way, I have a small point of constructive(!) criticism: put your reports through a spelling check, there were quite a lot of small errors that sometimes make reading a tad more difficult. This is not to detract from the excellent report, I enjoyed it regardless!

Cheers

Foegnasher
12-02-2009, 12:16
Very tense report Foegnasher! Thanks for putting it up. You really were forcing his hand in the early game with the slaves and then toppling the two dinosaurs. But as you said, those combat blocks took and dished pain like there was no tomorrow.

Don't flame yourself about that premature giant rat charge, in a battle that tense and full of chaos, it is all a lot less logical. Only afterwards eh?

By the way, I have a small point of constructive(!) criticism: put your reports through a spelling check, there were quite a lot of small errors that sometimes make reading a tad more difficult. This is not to detract from the excellent report, I enjoyed it regardless!

Cheers

i reserve the right to misspell anything at any tmie.:D

Dungeon_Lawyer
14-02-2009, 00:56
clarification:

Was the Slann really in close combat? Or was his unit merely in close combat? Where was he positioned? Do not Slann still have the ability to cast spells when they are in a unit of TG engaged in CC?

Foegnasher
14-02-2009, 04:57
clarification:

Was the Slann really in close combat? Or was his unit merely in close combat? Where was he positioned? Do not Slann still have the ability to cast spells when they are in a unit of TG engaged in CC?

they can, but he was postioned in such a way as he couldn't SEE anything. there was nothing to shoot missles at behind the clanrats. he got into combat late, when he was down to two temple gaurd and i had him flanked and reared.

Dungeon_Lawyer
14-02-2009, 17:59
Great report---thanks 4 the clarification...

Foegnasher
17-02-2009, 05:35
no prob, btw i massacred a local with a tough Dark Elf list with this build, there is a tourney in march, i guess i'll try to take this and see how i do!

Spirit
19-02-2009, 23:58
they can, but he was postioned in such a way as he couldn't SEE anything. there was nothing to shoot missles at behind the clanrats. he got into combat late, when he was down to two temple gaurd and i had him flanked and reared.

The slann can channel a magic missile through a skink priest, thus using the skink as line of sight. Im also fairly sure that spells 5 and 6 on fire do not require line of sight.

Think he forgot that.

you said on one turn that skinks rallied and then charged, i thought this was illegal?

Why on earth he gave you first turn when he could have bubbled your magic and jezzails ill never know!

But well done, nicely played, good to draw against a new army, takes some time to work out the good counters.

Foegnasher
20-02-2009, 04:11
The slann can channel a magic missile through a skink priest, thus using the skink as line of sight. Im also fairly sure that spells 5 and 6 on fire do not require line of sight.

Think he forgot that.

you said on one turn that skinks rallied and then charged, i thought this was illegal?

Why on earth he gave you first turn when he could have bubbled your magic and jezzails ill never know!

But well done, nicely played, good to draw against a new army, takes some time to work out the good counters.

the skinks rallied one turn and charged the next. my mistake.

he could have, the priest was hideing in the woods and couldn't see anybody for most of the game.

garythewargamer
20-02-2009, 13:37
Thanks for the report. I have yet to play against a skaven therefore that is why I read these reports. I guess I will just have to go looking for a skaven player to play against at our local gaming place. My daughter plays HE 6w/3d/6l
Brits 5w/0d/4l

Foegnasher
20-02-2009, 19:43
Thanks for the report. I have yet to play against a skaven therefore that is why I read these reports. I guess I will just have to go looking for a skaven player to play against at our local gaming place. My daughter plays HE 6w/3d/6l
Brits 5w/0d/4l

i actually play tame lists next to some skaven players, some will hit you with 13 magic dice and 4 ratlinguns.

i am not "that guy".