PDA

View Full Version : My First 2k High Elves List

MrWoten
11-02-2009, 06:15
The highest points value game I've played so far is 1k. Not used to having so many.. choices. I can also use all of my models in this army list without breaking into Special Characters..

Lords & Heroes

Prince ( Magic Items: Star Lance, Armor of Protection, Enchanted Shield Mount: Barbed Elven Steed ) - 269pts.

Mage ( Level 2 Wizard, Magic Items: Dispel Scroll x 2, Talisman of Protection, Mount: Barbed Elven Steed ) - 201pts.

Core

[10] Spearmen ( Musician, Sentinel, Standard Bearer ) - 115pts.

Special

[5] Silver Helms ( High Helm, Musician, Battle Standard, Shields ) - 155pts.

[5] Dragon Princes ( Drakemaster: War Banner, Musician, Standard Bearer: Banner of Arcane Protection ) - 250pts.

[5] Dragon Princes ( Drakemaster: War Banner, Musician, Standard Bearer: Banner of Arcane Protection ) - 250pts.

Lion Chariot x 2 - 280pts.

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower x 2 - 200pts.

Total Points: 1998pts.

Desert Rain
11-02-2009, 11:35
If you want to keep the spearmen you should remove the command group, otherwise you could trade them for archers as 10 spears won't do much.
A drakemaster can't have a magic standard and you are only allowed to take a magiv item once. Also drop the command groups on your cavalry and use the points spared to upgrade you Silver Helms to Dragon Princes. I would also remov the talisman of protection from the mage and drop him to a level 2 wizard as he won't be able to cast anything against most armies.

WhiteKnight
11-02-2009, 14:27
Yeah never use only 1 lv 2 mage in 2k. You will see how many times you will be throwing power dice and your opponent will just laugh.

Dosadi
11-02-2009, 14:52
Your Drakemasters can not carry magic banners. Only standard bearers can. Also you can't have more than one of any magic item.

Your Lord is solid, however if close combat goes past the first round you will find him not so hard hitting as the lance only works when he charges.
Lavel 2 mages make poor scroll caddies when you only have a single caster. If you just need the magic protection then I would recomend keeping him level 1 and using the points elsewhere.
Your Silver Helms don't really need command beyond a musician. remember that those banners are worth 100VPs to your opponent if he captures them. Keep these units lean and they will serve you much better IMO. This will free up more points for other things.
I think you need a Battle Standard Bearer. With no static Combat Resolution (ranks) you may not be able to break enemy units on the charge easily. A Battle Banner on a Noble is expensive, but will do more for you than the champions and banners in your units.
Your spearmen are there just get fill your required core slots. If you drop the command from them, you can upgrade them to Seaguard who are dual purposed. once again, those banners are worth 100VPs each and I don't see 10 spearelves lasting long in close combat.

Everything else looks good. I like Lion Chariots even thought I think their armour save should be better (or would like it more if it were). 2 RBTs are a must.

Dosadi

highelfmage
11-02-2009, 15:56
The highest points value game I've played so far is 1k. Not used to having so many.. choices. I can also use all of my models in this army list without breaking into Special Characters..

Lords & Heroes

Prince ( Magic Items: Star Lance, Armor of Protection, Enchanted Shield Mount: Barbed Elven Steed ) - 269pts.

it is ok but you cant have enchanted shield and armor of protection. give him the helmet that gives you +1 armor save and reroll than give 5+ wardsave plus the star lance and the items that lets you reroll hit wound.

so he has 1+ save rerolled and 5+ ward followed by 4 S7 hits which you can reroll. also rember that you still get no armor save in second round but at S4

Mage ( Level 2 Wizard, Magic Items: Dispel Scroll x 2, Talisman of Protection, Mount: Barbed Elven Steed ) - 201pts.

you mage i would drop him to level 1 with 2 scrolls on foot. put mage in a forest so no one can see you. use 1 die to cast 5+ ward and the other 2 for drain magic.

Core

make this into 1 unit and get some archers like 10 of them. you can also make this unit 19 models and stick you mage here

Special

not a fan silver helps. use 2 units of 5 dragon princes with out command for flanking. they will cost you 150 points but have way better stats and immune to fire.

you cant have 2 of the same items unless scrolls or powerstones.
keep 1 unit of dragon princes with standard with war banner and mus. that is it. no the other dragon prince unit is where you general goes have full command. mr2 banner and give the champion the sword that wounds on a 2+ if u have more than 2 wounds. yuor champion will taking challenges.

Lion Chariot x 2 - 280pts.
love this

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower x 2 - 200pts.
cant go wrong

but if u got enough points get a eagle great for warmachine hunting or just march blocking and frenzy units will hate.

i charged my friends vampire block with 3 characters i lost and i hope to never roll doubles 1's when doing this but he had to chase me because he has hatred on his character so he chased me into the forest.

Total Points: 1998pts.

check the bold writing in quotes

MrWoten
11-02-2009, 17:10
If you want to keep the spearmen you should remove the command group, otherwise you could trade them for archers as 10 spears won't do much.
A drakemaster can't have a magic standard and you are only allowed to take a magiv item once. Also drop the command groups on your cavalry and use the points spared to upgrade you Silver Helms to Dragon Princes. I would also remov the talisman of protection from the mage and drop him to a level 2 wizard as he won't be able to cast anything against most armies.

Yeah never use only 1 lv 2 mage in 2k. You will see how many times you will be throwing power dice and your opponent will just laugh.

I was thinking what if I downgraded the Mage then dropped my Silver Helms for an Arch Mage? Also, if I do that what Lores should I draw their spells from? High Magic looks good, I've also heard that Shadow is really nasty. This is my first time at a points value where I can take a big nasty magic user.

Your Drakemasters can not carry magic banners. Only standard bearers can. Also you can't have more than one of any magic item.

Your Lord is solid, however if close combat goes past the first round you will find him not so hard hitting as the lance only works when he charges.
Lavel 2 mages make poor scroll caddies when you only have a single caster. If you just need the magic protection then I would recomend keeping him level 1 and using the points elsewhere.
Your Silver Helms don't really need command beyond a musician. remember that those banners are worth 100VPs to your opponent if he captures them. Keep these units lean and they will serve you much better IMO. This will free up more points for other things.
I think you need a Battle Standard Bearer. With no static Combat Resolution (ranks) you may not be able to break enemy units on the charge easily. A Battle Banner on a Noble is expensive, but will do more for you than the champions and banners in your units.
Your spearmen are there just get fill your required core slots. If you drop the command from them, you can upgrade them to Seaguard who are dual purposed. once again, those banners are worth 100VPs each and I don't see 10 spearelves lasting long in close combat.

Everything else looks good. I like Lion Chariots even thought I think their armour save should be better (or would like it more if it were). 2 RBTs are a must.

Dosadi

I wish someone had told me that about who can take what banners!

First of all, what banner should I take with my barebones Noble? And should he have any sort of equipment beyond the banner?

Ok, so.. how about a 20 man block of Spearmen to hide one of my Mages in and a 10-20 man block of Archers for the other Mage I might take?

Should I take Silver Helms? I was thinking about dropping them to afford an Arch Mage ( see above ).

I would try Sea Guard but I don't have the models and my group is fairly WYSWYG. I could get away with proxying them for a game or two but eventually they'll lean on me about buying the models.

I'm really impressed with Lion Chariots simply because they're fairly fast moving and have Fear. I'm trying to find ways to upgrade that to Terror via Magic so if one of them does get within range it'll cause fits in the opposing army. This is probably too much set up but I've gotten wrecked at lower points games by Fear\Terror causing models and not having proper banners\support to stop them.

check the bold writing in quotes

Ooh, thought you could stack those. My bad. I'm not sure if I can afford a Star Lance ( 40 ), Armor of Protection ( 45 ) and the Helm of Fortune ( 25 iirc ) on the same character. What would you take in place of the helm? Also would it hurt to instead put him on an Eagle or Griffon and give him a magic sword instead? I don't have any Eagles ATM but I do have a Griffon, which is mount-only from what I can tell. Kind of expensive but he'd be great at busting war machines and hunting whimpy units.

Yeah I'm going to downgrade that Mage and hide him in a unit of spearmen\archers I think.

Are archers worth it in only 10 man groups? I know they're just there to fill up points but will they even contribute at all?

I do like my Dragon Princes more. I was thinking of dropping these guys in favor of taking an Arch Mage to give me more magical power. I think it'll be needed because one of my regular opponents plays a Tzeentch dedicated army. The others are Chaos Daemons and Wood Elves /w DoW Ogres ( :wtf:).

Yeah people have been telling me wrong about this.. normally we play at such a small points value I don't have points to buy anything worthwhile, just barebones entries and maybe a Noble with a magical weapon.

I love Lion Chariots. Chariots in general are just cool to me.

The Bolt Throwers haven't done me wrong so far. I'm hoping if I go High Lore I can pick up Curse of Arrow Attraction.. :evilgrin:

I originally wanted to put an Eagle in but the trade I made for my army the guy sent me a Griffon instead. I could proxy it as an Eagle but I was also thinking of mounting a Prince on it. Very expensive for warmachine\etc hunting, tho.