PDA

View Full Version : GW lowered prices??!

Mireadur
11-02-2009, 09:40
Im sorry as this may be old news, but i just noticed retail prices are like half a pound lower than they used to be?

Thanks in advance for confirming.

Korras
11-02-2009, 09:43
I believe this is due to the VAT drop, a few months ago. or, do you mean they dropped again?

Grubthegrot
11-02-2009, 09:48
Its the VAT reduction, from 17.5% to 15%. Arranged by the government, passed on by Games Workshop to customers.

Mireadur
11-02-2009, 10:01
oh thanks =). Last time i bought something was in november and didnt realize until now.

I find funny how the pound devaluation didnt affect prices in Euros so you pay almost double for minis in Spain, for example, than if you order them from England.

Nicha11
11-02-2009, 10:02
passed on by Games Workshop to customers.

Thats sounds like a lie, GW never help us, I'm going to lead an army on Nottingham for this atrocity.

warhammergrimace
11-02-2009, 21:47
Yeah the VAT reduction was compulsory for all retail companies...They had to pass on the saving for 12 months then VAT goes back to 18-20%, they haven't decided the definite amount yet, though it will be more than 17.5%.

So we will save this year and pay it back next, crafty government thinking..

scarletsquig
12-02-2009, 07:23
Expect VAT to go to 20% and stay there after the next general election, along with a 5% rise in income tax. Doesn't matter who gets in power, it has to happen, too much government debt.

So... yeah. Any big GW purchases, definitely get them this year. And don't get a mortgage, low rates are for Christmas, not for life.

- Your friendly economic squig. ;)

Jedi152
12-02-2009, 08:27
Yeah the VAT reduction was compulsory for all retail companies...They had to pass on the saving for 12 months then VAT goes back to 18-20%, they haven't decided the definite amount yet, though it will be more than 17.5%.
Bear in mind it only applies to VAT added products. Books are exempt, which is why you won't get army books any cheaper.

And bear in mind that GW have dropped prices before on odd products a few times - but it always seems to pass without comment.

Son of the Lion
12-02-2009, 08:43

So we will save this year and pay it back next, crafty government thinking..

Actually, we're already paying it back - see fuel duty rise.

Not to mention the fact that the 18-20% rise is permanent.

Korras
12-02-2009, 09:07
hm, I didn't know about the rise next year.. so, that'll just mean I'll have to buy more stuff this year. ;)

as a side note, I am always wondering why governments want to increase taxes. if the taxes are lower, people will spend more. that money isn't just used once: GW employees will get paid, perhaps another one hired, who will then proceed to shop for groceries, etc, etc, etc.

then again, I am pretty sure that higher economics isn't something I've studied, so I'll always be in the dark with that.

dark_angel
12-02-2009, 09:08
Gotta love our government!

Brimstone
12-02-2009, 09:24
This has already been discussed numerous times and is now getting various spammy comments.

Because of that I'm going to close this thread.

The Warseer Inquisition