PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Mumak

LaevusLevusXIII
11-02-2009, 09:45
Hi all

I have recently got back into LoTR since it died out in our area about 2 years ago and have some quick rules questions?

1. Can a ringwraith compel one of my own models? Namely, can I move with the Mumak and then compel it even further.

2. If a model is lying down and is trampled by the Mumak, do I double my attacks against it? I take it the same would apply for a trapped model.

Thanks

lorelorn
11-02-2009, 11:47
The answer to 1 I don't know. I've always assumed that Command/Compel could only be used against enemy models, but the description refers only to "the victim". The Mumak rules refer to the Cammnder being able to be affected by Command from an enemy caster, but don't mention Compel. From my reading I would say no, but honestly I think this is one for the FAQ.

The answer to 2 is certinaly no. When the Mumak moves it inflicts three strength 9 hits on any model it comes into contact with. That's it. Doubling attacks against prone/trapped models occurs when you win combat against that model, and the trample move is not combat.

Baggers
11-02-2009, 12:59
I think that the Command/Compel spell is used as an offensive spell. I don't have the rulebook handy. But I don't think you can use the spell to target someone on your own team.

David.

Joewrightgm
11-02-2009, 13:14
You cannot compel one of your own models. A model trampled by the Mumak is not fighting in close combat, so he/she/it would only take three strikes from the Mumak.

LaevusLevusXIII
11-02-2009, 13:52
Why can't I compel my own models? No is not an answer, I could have gotten that from the 10 year olds at our local store.

Nowhere in the book does it say I can only target enemies. It makes reference to "victim" and "model", however it says nothing about "enemy model". The only restrictions are me needing to see the target.

Thought so much about the trapped rule.

Thanks

Haarketh_of_Naggarond
11-02-2009, 15:40
I believe you can only cast spells that do direct damage on the Mumak (this was certainly in its rules at some point), so you wouldn't be able to compel it in any case.

More generally, I recall an FAQ ruling for some previous version of the rules about casting offensive spells on your own units, but I'm not sure if that also applies to command/compel. I don't have my rulebook with me, unfortunately.

Hope that helps a little!

(p.s. hi to everyone at Warseer, decided to sign up when I realised I might have a helpful, if partial, answer to a question)

CasperTheGhost
11-02-2009, 16:18
Why can't I compel my own models? No is not an answer, I could have gotten that from the 10 year olds at our local store.

Nowhere in the book does it say I can only target enemies. It makes reference to "victim" and "model", however it says nothing about "enemy model". The only restrictions are me needing to see the target.

Thought so much about the trapped rule.

Thanks

The Rules answer is basically yes you can. It does not state anywhere (that I can see) that the victim has to be an enemy model. So I think tha answer is yes.

The Tatical answer is why would you want to :confused:? It cannot be used to move a model out of combat and as such it has no point. On top of that it only allows you to move half a move and you count as transfix. The only tatical warrent I can see is if you want to move the model a bit further so use it then. But still its pretty pointless.

Casper

Baggers
11-02-2009, 16:53
Why can't I compel my own models?

I'll have to double check when I get home as I don't have the rulebook handy at work. I am sure that it does state that once you have moved a model. Then it can not move again*. Command or compel are designed to inhibit someone moving not allowing something to move again.

Another example of this is when you use a heroic move to move before your opponent. Once you've moved your hero and any accompanying friends. You can't move them again when its your movement phase.

I shall double check when I get home.

David.

*This does not take into account, movement in combat, whether being pushed back or by heroic combat.

jaws900
12-02-2009, 09:56
The Compel and Immobolise spells can ONLY be used of foe. Only a few spells can be used on allies E.G. Renew