PDA

View Full Version : BSB as General?

TroyJPerez
11-02-2009, 08:46
Can a battle standard bearer be the general if he is the only character in your army? Rule book says that bsb may not normally be the general. But what does that normally mean? Is it cause most lords have higher leadership? Opinions?

Sifal
11-02-2009, 08:50
I think it means the the bsb may not be the general unless otherwise specifically stated in the army book. like a how a slann can be general and bsb.

narrativium
11-02-2009, 09:44
If you want a BSB, and your army book forbids him from being the general, you'll have to purchase a second character who can be a general.

Braad
11-02-2009, 10:15
I can only agree to this. A second character or a special ruling is required to allow a BSB.

@ narrativium
Discworld reader?

TroyJPerez
11-02-2009, 10:51
Ok think I may have found my answer. Warriors of Chaos book is either written really poorly or they forgot the put down that an exalted BSB cannot be the army general. Which kinda leads me to think that he can. Every other book I have looked up specifically says that they can not be the General. Warriors of Chaos does not have this claim in its book.

Oberon
11-02-2009, 10:57
They will put it in in the errata, however. Slann is specifically allowed to hold the BSB and lead the army, I think no other (non-special)character has this. WoC is simply an omission, which *might* get corrected when the FAQ eventually arrives.

The Red Scourge
11-02-2009, 10:59
Quite right.

But as already said, slann doesn't have this restriction either. For all other army books I've read, it is true that the BSB can't be the general. I wouldn't expect a GW FAQ to change this, they do have a tendency to write go RAW on these things – and it isn't really that important (WoC banners are made for mopping floors not fighting) ;)

Changes do happen in the game. You'll also notice that 6th ed. BSBs can't use shields and fancy weapons, while 7th ed. BSBs come with an extra set of arms and hands, as they do not have this problem :)

nosferatu1001
11-02-2009, 11:19
On the BSB / General issue GW have consistently ADDED the line in in the errata; eg Skaven. I believe they will add this into the errata, as they have done for all other warmies where theyve forgotten this.

Slaan has a specific addition in their rules to allow them to be both the general and the BSB; note that the scarvet / skink chief entry forbids them. Historically the Slaan is the only exception to the BSB /= General rule :)

As for 6th / 7th - its also true for some 7th ed armies, such as Empire and (I think) O&G, who can't use extra weapons.

stripsteak
11-02-2009, 14:49
Ok think I may have found my answer. Warriors of Chaos book is either written really poorly or they forgot the put down that an exalted BSB cannot be the army general. Which kinda leads me to think that he can. Every other book I have looked up specifically says that they can not be the General. Warriors of Chaos does not have this claim in its book.

the skaven book left this out too, and it was erratad in.

EvC
11-02-2009, 17:12
If the army book explicitly allows a BSB to be the general, e.g. a Slann, then they can. However, they must actively spell this out- you can't just take an Exalted Hero BSB as your general on the basis that there is nothing that says you can't... because there is, in the main rulebook :)

Neckutter
11-02-2009, 19:41
As for 6th / 7th - its also true for some 7th ed armies, such as Empire and (I think) O&G, who can't use extra weapons.

black orc BSBs, however, are armed to tha teef and can use that rule to have GW or 2HWs. :)

The Red Scourge
12-02-2009, 09:45
.. because there is, in the main rulebook :)

The wording is 'not normally'. As all other army books has the rule that he can't this seems to 'normal'. That the same rule is 'missing' from the exalted BSB suggests that he is 'abnormal', and so is able to be the general at least untill an errata clears this up, along with all the other stuff.

With a bit of luck, they just might give up on answering all the questions from the WoC and make a decent book instead :p

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 11:06
With a bit of luck, they just might give up on answering all the questions from the WoC and make a decent book instead :p

yeah, right.
sorry for the sarcasm, but the whole book needs a rewrite. the FAQ/errata for the book is going to be a minimum of 5 pages if they want to cover all the bases. undoubtedly they will make the faq smaller than needed, and will miss some things.

that being said, they will most likely catch the BSB thing, and errata it that you cant be a BSB and the general.

but as it stands now, i guess you can have a BSB general if you really really want to.

The Red Scourge
12-02-2009, 13:38
but as it stands now, i guess you can have a BSB general if you really really want to.

Yup. T4 and 2 Wounds worth 300+ VP, thats practically giving it away ;)

Shamfrit
12-02-2009, 14:37
Worth a bare minimum of 335, that's with no items, marks or defences in any way shape or form.

Neckutter
13-02-2009, 01:34
ok, who wants to have a BSB general... lets play! i always bring 3 nurgle sorcs... :)

Necromancy Black
13-02-2009, 02:50
ok, who wants to have a BSB general... lets play! i always bring 3 nurgle sorcs... :)

My MR3 Slann accepts :p

Neckutter
13-02-2009, 03:31
LAME!

well at least you dont have the "enemy wizard gets rid of 6s" thing. that nerfs chaos sorc lord horribly bad.

Nurgling Chieftain
13-02-2009, 04:51
He could potentially have both. :cool:

EvC
13-02-2009, 11:57
The wording is 'not normally'. As all other army books has the rule that he can't this seems to 'normal'. That the same rule is 'missing' from the exalted BSB suggests that he is 'abnormal', and so is able to be the general at least untill an errata clears this up, along with all the other stuff.

No, you've got ir backwards. The NORMAL state is that the BSB cannot be the general. the ABNORMAL state is that the army book allows the BSB to be the general- and the new army books do not state it one way or the other. Thus, they follow the "norm", and may not become the general if they are already the BSB. As stated, the exception would take the form of the wording for a Slann, who is explicitly allowed to go against the normal rules.

NB this is a fun topic because I once suggested in 6th edition that a Necrarch with a level 1 magic upgrade could become the general and also be the Battle Standard Bearer at the same time. From the way people reacted, you'd think I had slaughtered a sacred cow :o

The Red Scourge
13-02-2009, 13:25
You do know that we're both right, don't you EvC. So I'll pull my ace from the sleeve and proudly throw in my final argument that is undisputable my dad can beat up your dad :mad:

;)

EvC
13-02-2009, 14:07
Well, what's important, is that either I was right back in the day (when the masses disagreed with me), or I'm right now (when the masses also seem to disagree with me) :D

Condottiere
14-02-2009, 10:13
Skaven could be full armed and armoured and still carry a standard - that's what a tail is for.