PDA

View Full Version : unwritten rule? vampire casting

Gharof von Carstein
11-02-2009, 09:51
i have a vampire casting question. would it be tournament legal if i debate the following.

i have a vampire lord lvl 4 so he gets to roll for 4 spells. for example i roll 1,1,5,6, i should get a reroll for the second 1 seeing as raise dead = necromancy and thus having 2 would be stupid. right? this is generally oke where im from. but. i roll a 4 instead but i really really want vanhels. seeing as i always have the option to substitute any roll for a 1, would it be ethical to keep replacing one spell for a 1, and get to reroll it? (due to necromancy = multicasting so double the 1 spell would be useless) just as long as i get the spells i want? there really is no ruling for this i know. the ruling in the BRB is tough cookies if you roll 4 times 1 you stick with it. but for a vampire this is just not practical and no one half sportsmanship like would force you to play with that.

this of course i know is another aspect of unsportsmanship like behaviour but its still kinda legal. isnt it?

Braad
11-02-2009, 10:01
Page 111 of the BRB says: no wizard can have the same spell twice. So re-roll until you have 4 different. I am currently unaware of the VC having a rule that allows to have double spells on one wizard, and since they already can cast spells several times, as you stated, I don't expect it to be there. So, any double result must be re-rolled until 4 different spells are rolled.

When you roll a 1, you cannot select another spell to become 1, since you already got it, and cannot therefore choose this option, as this will immediately violate the rule I stated above, even if you wish to re-roll it for another. You cannot choose to purposefully violate rules (well, you can, but then you go to prison immidiately, don't pass start and don't collect any money).

Also, the book gives me the impression that the rolling of the first spell is done after rolling all your spells, since the rolling is done simultaneously, or re-rolled until the result is valid (= 4 different spells). Then you pick a single spell to be the first, if you haven't got it already. So no rolling after the hand-picking.

Also, I expect people to either walk away or just become plain angry if you try to pull it of. Remember its a game for fun, not an exercise for finding loopholes.

Lordmonkey
11-02-2009, 10:04
You can only reroll a spell that you have rolled twice. Swapping a spell for no.1 doesn't count as a dice roll.

it isn't legal, and it certainly isn't sporting!

Gharof von Carstein
11-02-2009, 10:05
i was unaware of the rule on page 111, it does make sense. the reason i ask is that i can definetly remember people in my environment having several of the same spell with armies like orcs and goblins etc. which i now know is illegal. in this case based on my question what i suspected is true. i have a 1/3 chance of NOT rolling vanhels with a lvl 4 mage. thats pretty good :)

theunwantedbeing
11-02-2009, 10:09
If you can alwyas swap a spell for a 1....then why wouldnt you just keep swapping your spells for spell 1 untill you got the spell you wanted?

2 spells.
You want spell 6.
Swap both for a 1...oh no, I have 2 spells 1's, I'll re-roll one of them.
Wrong spell, I swap it for spell 1....oh no, I have 2 spell 1's, I'll re-roll one of them.
Dammit....re-roll.
Grrrrr...re-roll
6...woo, I'm keeping this ^_^

Doesnt really work if your allowed to swap them for spell 1 and then re-roll it.
Your basically just picking the spells you want if you do that.

Braad
11-02-2009, 10:14
In friendly games, you can easily agree that you're allowed to choose spells, instead of rolling them, if it would suit you better? Just need to agree with opponents on that. And ofcourse, they can do the same then, which isn't always a good thing.

Harwammer
11-02-2009, 10:28
Not quite on topic but i feel not different enough to warrant a new topic;

If you roll the same spell twice can you roll again on both dice?

The Red Scourge
11-02-2009, 10:44

Now look into your heart. If it is dark and twisted and made from obsidian and brimstone, then yes it is okay just like beating your opponents with steel chairs, whenever your units break from combat. Sheesh! :eyebrows:

Spirit
11-02-2009, 11:38
Not quite on topic but i feel not different enough to warrant a new topic;

No, you only re roll the duplicate.

And no, they do not both count as duplicates of oneanother.