PDA

View Full Version : Censer Bearers against Bretonian Lance Formation

punkoteloco
11-02-2009, 13:12
Hi, i have another question regarding skavens. Lets say a grail Knight unit of 12 ( yeah a lot ) gets engaged in CC with my censer bearers. How many knights are in touch with my censer bearers in that first ( and i must say last ) round of combat? Only the front 3 or all the knight who are able to fight?

nosferatu1001
11-02-2009, 13:20
Unless the Lance formation states "these models count as in base to base with the enemy unit on the turn they charge" then only the models directly in base would count.

An example would be mixed Krox and Skink units - the Krox in the second rank coutn as in base to base, so would therefore take the toughness test

Commissar
11-02-2009, 13:27
It depends on who charged and how many you are. ( Ps. I don't know what a Censer Bearer is).

I would belive it would be like this;

1.a. If you charged the knights, then only the three inn front rank kan fight.

1.b. If you charged with only one model on foot, only two knights would be in base to base.

1.c. If you charged with only one model with a base that is as wide as a knights, or wider, three knights would be in base to base and would be able to fight.

2.a. If the knights charge you, the front rank plus the knights on the outside of the lance formation can fight. That would be 9.

2.b If the knights charge you and you only have one model on foot, only two in the front rank kan fight, pluss three knigts from the side of the formation directly inn front of your model. That would be 5.

2.c If the knights charge you and you only have one model with a base that is as wide, or wider, as a knights, the front rank plus the knights on the outside of the lance formation can fight. That would be 9.

punkoteloco
11-02-2009, 13:35
Ok, thanks a lot. It depends on the player basically. I would have thought the same as you Comissar but it seems that the models behind the front row, even when charging, do not count as beins in Base to base, so the censer will not have any effect. ( i just grabbed a friends Bretonia army book ). Does anyone know if theres a FAQ for this?

nosferatu1001
11-02-2009, 13:42
Just had a quick look at the Bretonnia FAQ - nothing in there states they "count as" being in base to base

Censer bearers cause a toughness test for each model in base to base (including themselves!) before combat occurs - if you fail it you take a wound.

One side effect would be that, if you do kill a knight on the front rank the models behind that model can no longer fight, as teh Lance requires them to be directly behind a model in base to base.

theunwantedbeing
11-02-2009, 13:44
Plague censor
-all models in base contact with the bearer of a plague censor (and the bearer) take a test.

Lance formation
-models on the flanks directly behind a model in base contact with the enemy may fight that enemy.

Thats basically what is said.
So vs the lance formation, they'll be taking 3 tests, so could lose 3 models.

Plague censors just dont work very well vs the lance formation.
It's as simple as that basically.

Unless it states that the models actually count as being in base contact (dont think this is said even with things like spears, pikes or kroxigor fighting over skinks) then they are not in base contact so will not take the test.

Plague censors have other uses anyway.
It doesnt make them any less good vs skinks though...all thouse t2 models taking tests, and the kroxigor are then allowed to be attacked.

punkoteloco
11-02-2009, 14:06
Im gonna field them anyways. They are my favourite unit. About killing and not allowing the back ones to attack, i think its not right, because, although the model that was originally in Base to Base contact dies, another one will be in base to base.

nosferatu1001
11-02-2009, 14:36
The krox / skink unit specifically states they are in b2b, henc ewhy i posted that as an example ;)

You can atack skinks or krox in the mixed unit in any case.