PDA

View Full Version : Swarms and skirmish

Elannion
05-12-2005, 00:18
right this is just a small thing that has been bothering me (i just always think it looks abit weird mainly but i think theres more) i don't have a clue why and it makes not very much difference. If i remember my rules correct a skirmishing unit is one that models are 1" appart however swarms in this edition seem to be made up of tons and tons of tiny lil creatures who are seperated from each other naturally so i don't think the 1 inch rule should have to apply i think these should be place side by side but the fact that theres lots of seperate cratures on one base shows that they are skirmishing and so still benifit from the rules of skirmish. Ok as i write this im reconsidering my stance but i might aswell post it anyway.

Atzcapotzalco
05-12-2005, 00:39
It's a lot easier on opponents unfamiliar with a given army list if skirmishers are easily visibly distinguished from ranked up troops, which is as good a reason as any to keep the 1" rule in place.

adbower
05-12-2005, 01:13
I think it make sense to keep them skirmished. Having them spread out a bit makes it clear to your opponent that they can turn in any direction at any given moment.

nurgle_boy
05-12-2005, 09:13
also remember, that a swarm represents a swarm, not 5 lizards, or nurglings, a FRIKKIN THOUSEND of the buggers. like the rat swarm, but just b'cause you can see them (like your casualties crawling back off the battlefield and the like) doesnt mean theyre not there.

Festus
05-12-2005, 10:08
Hi

And by far not every Swarm skirmishes, they need to have *skirmish* as one of their special rules (or *flying*, which incorporates *skirmish* already) to be able to do so.

Greetings
Festus

Elannion
05-12-2005, 19:51
I do understand it from a visibility point of view i dunno just for some reason this has always annoyed me, i dont really know why.

that a swarm represents a swarm, not 5 lizards, or nurglings, a FRIKKIN THOUSEND of the buggers

I know thats what i meant, they are all seperate creatures on the base and thusly are not the same as one creature on a base lined up.

Hideous Loon
05-12-2005, 20:31
But this is all rules lawyering, is it not? Does it even matter? Yes, Swarms consist of millions of happy Nurglings/Bats/Snotties/plague-infested Rats and so forth. But it'd be impossible and unwieldy (and, I suspect, outright THICK) to have a swarm as large as a computer screen on a battlefield. Therefore, they are split up in different units, and to simulate that, the "one-inch-apart"-rule is in effect, to represent the fact that they can move in all directions, and being actual Skirmishers. So there.

Elannion
05-12-2005, 21:14
a swarm as large as a computer screen on a battlefield. Therefore, they are split up in different units
They are already split up into diffferent units on the model

But this is all rules lawyering, is it not? Does it even matter?
Yes as i stated it doesn't matter much i was just stating that it kinda bugged me but i also stated that i was recoonsidering but still. This is a forum, in forums you share your views, feelings, musings and idea on matters so saying such a statement as your above is abit silly.

Mad Makz
06-12-2005, 05:55
Uhm, from memory don't skirmishers have to be placed UP TO 1" apart.

If YOU want to keep YOUR swarm bases touching, then I think you can.

Hal
09-12-2005, 02:15
That is correct.

They do have to be not touching, but if you can fit a piece of paper between their bases, they aren't touching ;)

~Hal~

mageith
09-12-2005, 05:20
Uhm, from memory don't skirmishers have to be placed UP TO 1" apart.

If YOU want to keep YOUR swarm bases touching, then I think you can.
Your half right. Skirmishers cannot be touching unless they are in close combat. "Models in a skirmishing unit are positioned up to 1 inch apart so that they are not touching each other." (115)

Mage Ith

Izram
09-12-2005, 16:15
Models or bases not touching?:p

mageith
10-12-2005, 01:57
Models or bases not touching?:p
:) Cute and original rules lawyering. One point for you.

Mage Ith