PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elf Assassin Question

themandudeperson
11-02-2009, 17:32
I'm trying to find a good way to counter a dark elf assassin with my army and I need some clarification on something:
When is an assassin revealed? once a unit charges(end of movement phase) or once close combat begins(start of close combat phase)?

EvC
11-02-2009, 17:38
Start of combat phase, generally :)

Can also be revealed at the start of the turn if they want.

Neckutter
11-02-2009, 19:56
are you asking if chariot impact hits could hit the assassin? because they cant.

generally, you are going to haveta weather the assassin's attacks, but he doesnt have any armor to speak of and is kinda squishy. :)

Necromancy Black
12-02-2009, 01:56
If you can work out what unit's he's in before hand you can usualy smash that unit pretty easily.

Empire can do this with that crystal ball of theres, and Lizardmen have Chakax. Don't think there's much else that can do it and there's no way of targeting or hitting the assassin specifically without the DE first revealing him.

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 02:09
or you could just not charge DE infantry. :P

Necromancy Black
12-02-2009, 02:36
Not always the best move. I find DE can not take a hit at all and they rely on the ability to hit first, use that hatred to get a ton of damage in and hopefully have a flank charge as well thanks to M5.

On the other hand, if your the one charging them they seem to quite easily crumble. The assassin is the real anti-charge weapons that the DE have.

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 03:31
i wouldnt know, i have an all cav DE army, with 2 hydras. :)

themandudeperson
12-02-2009, 03:48
I had some spell combo worked out earlier (I forget now) with my slann. I was going to charge unit X with my saurus warriors, then when he plunked down his assasin (if he was revealed at the end of the magic spell) I had some spell that could be targeted at a single model, even if in combat.. but I forgot what it was and I don't feel like digging out the rule book again and searching for it..

Suspicions
12-02-2009, 04:04
That would have been a useful combo (using something like Unseen Lurker to move the saurus and then the Bound Blood Statuette of Spite to kill the Assassin) if only the Assassin was revealed once connected...

fortunately for us DE players, that isn't how it works! :) There are still plenty of aforementioned ways to deal with our Assassins, however, and I still enjoy the fact that the fear and paranoia generated by the possibility of running into one hidden inside a unit has players coming up with specific stratagems to avoid them! Just for fun, it is always a blast to line up a bunch of painted assassins just off the board edge to remind your opponent what -could- be coming...hehehe!

Necromancy Black
12-02-2009, 04:41
Plenty of unit champions to keep challanging the assassin helps. Sure, he might get overkill but it leaves alot of my models alive to hit back.

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 08:01
Just for fun, it is always a blast to line up a bunch of painted assassins just off the board edge to remind your opponent what -could- be coming...hehehe!

OoOo you're a dirty DE player!!!

:)

xragg
12-02-2009, 12:02
fortunately for us DE players, that isn't how it works! :) There are still plenty of aforementioned ways to deal with our Assassins, however, and I still enjoy the fact that the fear and paranoia generated by the possibility of running into one hidden inside a unit has players coming up with specific stratagems to avoid them! Just for fun, it is always a blast to line up a bunch of painted assassins just off the board edge to remind your opponent what -could- be coming...hehehe!

Cant wait till later this year to when the rats will give the DE assassins a run for their money. Cmon, we will stab you with a weapon using our tail! Not to mention everyone knows Deathmaster Snitch is the true king of assassins, not that poor excuse known as Shadowblade. Haha, just teasing, but I do hope they make skaven assassins as playable as the DE ones.

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 12:06
i wish they would make the cathay/nippon assassins where the skaven learned their trade. :)

but alas, GW's last effort to come up with a truly "new" army was ogre kingdoms.

Asmodiseus
12-02-2009, 12:40
Me and my friend were talking about this yesterday, I really wish they would make some kind of heaven themed army with angels and the like. I mean it seems like in every game demons are allowed to spill forth into the world and do whatever they want but heaven isnt allowed to interfear. Give me an army of Arch Angels to whoop some demon ass with.

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 12:54
unfortunatly that currently isnt in the GW fluff, however they can always change it willy-nilly.(ie WoC fluff)