PDA

View Full Version : 1K of beardy Vampires needed to beat 1k of beardy skaven

jo_momma
11-02-2009, 18:31
Hi, I'm in need of help. For many reasons but mainly to do with a very beardy skaven army. My friend claims he has the beardiest 1k skaven army and I have laid down the gauntlet with my vampires. There are two main problems here: first I normally play 2 to 3k almost exclusively, only going to 1.5k in team battles so have really no experience at small games. Secondly my Vampires are themed on the Vlads conquest of the Empire so isn't designed to crush all oponents but to eminate Vlad's army. This is what I have in my collection:
Vlad
Mannfred
Isabel
Konrad
5 Misc Vamps
20 Skeletons
20 Grave Guard
10 Ghouls
Corpsecart
Varguhlf
5 Blood Knights
100+ Zombies
10 Wolves.

Normally I use lots of zombies to represent Vlads newly risen victims and no Necros as they didn't form part of Vlads army. I was hoping you could suggest a 1k list with a decent strategy to stand up to a very beardy skryre army probably packing many many nasty guns which IS designed to reap pwnage on anything stupid enough to come up against it :(.
Thanks

madival
11-02-2009, 18:43
field a 100 strong zombie wall to protect from guns, 5 deep 20 wide. corpes cart behind it. field vlad and konrad (frenzy wont suck because he cant actually see anything. vaghulf and such from machine hunting. ghouls or skeletons (ghouls toughness might be better then the skeletons armor.)
so vlad konrad 20gg and skeletons/ghouls eithe way, your 100 strong zombie wall, vaghulf and corpse cart should have everything you need in 1500 pts

jo_momma
11-02-2009, 18:56
I can't field Vlad as he is a lord choice and I only have 1k

Lord Dan
11-02-2009, 19:15
Small games are where necros really shine, as often you don't have the points to gear up on decked-out vampires. Here's what I have in mind:

Teh Skaven Crushas!

Vampire-----------------------------------------------195
Walachs Bloody Hauberk, Dark Acolyte, Lord of the Dead

Necromancer------------------------------------------55
Necromancer------------------------------------------55

(What's that? You have 2 dispel dice? That's cool, I have 6 powerdice, sucka.)

10 Skeletons------------------------------------------100
Full command
10 Skeletons------------------------------------------100
Full command

Corpse Cart-------------------------------------------100
Lodestone

5 Dire Wolves-----------------------------------------50
Doom Wolf
5 Dire Wolves-----------------------------------------50
Doom Wolf

5 Black Knights----------------------------------------120

Vargulf------------------------------------------------175

Total: 1,000

I wouldn't normally recommend you take doom wolves, but in this case you had 20 points left over, so I thought "what the heck?". The Black Knights are supposed to die, which is why they have no upgrades. Run them off on a flank with the wolves and the vargulf on the opposite flank. He probably won't consider the wolves much of a threat next to the knights, so he'll just pop them off and your wolves can get a 2nd turn charge into his guns. The vargulf might die, but who cares? Get your line forward as fast as possible, and only focus on raising one unit. In fact, screen your "raising unit" with the other unit of skeletons, and keep all your characters together. The necros should be casting vanhels each turn to keep your line moving.

dal9ll
11-02-2009, 22:12
If he says his army is beardy, here are some things to watch out for:

-Jezzials --> youll need something good at warmachine hunting for this

-Warlock Engineers --> try to out-Magic him? He'll kit them out to have an extra Power Dice available and also allow the Engineer to cast with the extra power dice, plus he'll be able to cast it on you (and himself) when in combat.

-small Nightrunner units protecting his combat units' flanks --> Almost all skaven units rely heavily on their Rank Bonus not only to up their Leadership but also give them their Combat Rez. Flank them and they get jacked.

-Ratling Guns, maybe a Warpfire Thrower --> Ratling Guns can really hurt you (or anyone for that matter), but fortunately you can pick them off with shooting and Magic.

-hidden Assassins --> if he hides an Assassing with Weeping Blades (does D6 wounds per wound I think), aka the character-killer, and hides them in a Tunnelling Team, youre going to have a rough time keeping those oh-so-important charcters alive while he kamikazees your characters from inside your deployment zone.

Hope this helps!

W0lf
11-02-2009, 22:49
My best friends 1K skaven is;

3 warlock engineers

30 odd clan rats with fc
ratling gun

2 PWG

Warp lightning cannon + some jezzails.

Have fun raising :wtf:

Best way to do it in 'beardy' style would be;

2x 20 zombies (table quaters)

Vampire
Dread knight, walking death
150 pts

Vampire BSB
Dread knight, walking death, warbanner
200 pts

2x 20 zombies
160 pts

15 Black knights
FC, Banner of dead legion.

That one unit will decimate him. Even if he flanks you all skaven have is CR. That one unit is looking at 4 Cr from the 2 vamps and standard with likely outnumber for the black knights (US 60!)

With a static of 6 that matches a skaven flank charge. They are in deep trouble.

Lord Dan
11-02-2009, 23:40
I disagree, Wolf. The Skaven army is going to be loaded up on Jezzails and a WLC. Giving him one hyper-expensive unit that isn't going to have much of an armor save would be a mistake. You need to spread out your points in this case.

W0lf
11-02-2009, 23:42
drop the magic banner on the black knights and like 2 knights for blood keep then.

sorted.

Lord Dan
11-02-2009, 23:51
It depends on how much fire they're going to be taking. 15-20 jezzails for at least 2 turns? The blood keep banner certainly evens the odds a bit, but that's still banking a lot on that unit passing a bunch of 4+ saves.

Perhaps I'm just too anti-deathstar (even on a small scale!) to allow it.