PDA

View Full Version : silver helms to dragon princes

isidril93
11-02-2009, 20:40
my current 2.5k army need some speed and i dont have any models for dragon princes (proxy silver helms)

but im about to strip and repaint all my high elves and silverhelms are included.

since they costed quite a bit i dont want to leave them out so anyone has any ideas to make them in DP...im thinking 5 with a drakemaster (my high elf prince on horse will count as the drakemaster)

any thoughts?

Steef
11-02-2009, 22:03
hay isidril93,

as a matter of fact, my wife ran into the same issue.
she has 16 silver helms, and no dragon princes yet. so she has to proxy them as well.
i kinda looked into the visual difference of the two, and have a couple of ideas you can maybe use;

to my opinion, there are 3 features that significantly distinguish SH's from DP's,
1-the DP horse armor on the head of the horse.
2-the ropes by which the rider of a DP steers the horse
3-the helmet of the DP rider

these 3 features, are all in the lines of 'dragon-based' stuff., so the armor bits are dragonwings, scales, etc. im sure there are more smaller features that differ, but in my opinion, if you'd add those 3 features to your normal silver helms, they'd come pretty darn close to dragon princes.

on how you could do it;
-obviously greenstuff. though some skill might be needed to shape it nicely, as well as a good example fig, to copy it from. (maybe borrow a fig at the shop, or get one from a friend)
-use leftovers from the HE dragon kit, as it leaves a full tail, some armorpieces as well as additional scales/spikes/tusks which you can obviously glue on it directly. (plastic kit)
-see if you can get your hands on some old lizardmen figs. if you cut them up a bit, you could manage to use their scaly scin, to form some sort of dragon-ish armor.

these just from the top of my head, so don't hold me to it ;)

hope it helps, good luck!

Condottiere
11-02-2009, 22:19
The cheap method would be an appropriate shield and scaly wings on the helmet. Plus a convincing paint job.

Neckutter
11-02-2009, 22:36
if you look at the HE Plogs, there is a guy who uses silver helms as dragon princes. he uses the champion's feathered head bit to all his silver helms which makes them look different, for the dragon prince "conversion"

you should search it out. i think its called something like "high elf project log and catchall" or something like that. he has a great looking army.

ChaosVC
12-02-2009, 01:25
Or you can buy them, it will make your army collection looks so much more interesting, great models, trust me its worth it.;)

Just incase, I too have 16 silver helms of which 5 were converted to reavers and 1 made into bsb, the other 10 I use as normal silver helms.:)

Condottiere
12-02-2009, 01:41
That must have been quite a shock to most HE players to find their prized Silver Helms had been rendered impotent at one blow with the release of HEAB7. :D

Angelust
12-02-2009, 01:54
I guess I'm just lazy. I just paint the silver helms more dragonesque and call them Dragon princes.

Duke Georgal
12-02-2009, 04:06
Or you can buy them, it will make your army collection looks so much more interesting, great models, trust me its worth it.

Yes, I agree. The Dragon Princes models are absolutely worth it.

It is amazing how a couple of special bits really make a huge difference.

In this case, buy the correct models.

WhiteKnight
12-02-2009, 04:46
What I saw once was a guy that took the head piece from the prince on dragon and found about 15 of them and then put them on his silver helms, then he did the same thing again but chopped the dragon part and attached it to the horses. Best conversion I've seen.

Urgat
12-02-2009, 08:30
I've got one very silly question:
despite the fact that DP are obviously so cool and great and all, are SH so bad now that one would not use them?

Neckutter
12-02-2009, 09:33
i dont use any HE cavalry, because i play a swordmasters army.

personally i dont like the dragon prince models, and i hate their S3 attacks.

Panzer MkIV
12-02-2009, 10:11
I've got one very silly question:
despite the fact that DP are obviously so cool and great and all, are SH so bad now that one would not use them?

The Silver Helms are identical compared to the 6th edition book. The problem is that Silver Helms became a Special choice and compete for the slots with things like Swordmasters and, indeed, Dragon Princes. When you have 2 Heavy Cavalry choices in the Special section you almost always go for the better deal: in this case Dragon Princes.

Condottiere
12-02-2009, 11:05
personally i dont like the dragon prince models, and i hate their S3 attacks.Then you probably not utilizing their potential.

Desert Rain
12-02-2009, 15:02
I'm having the same problem, lots of left-over silver helms that I use ad DP proxys. As they are already nicely painted I don't want to convert them so that I will have to repaint them afterwards.

Preacher
12-02-2009, 15:15
i dont use any HE cavalry, because i play a swordmasters army.

personally i dont like the dragon prince models, and i hate their S3 attacks.

^^ You do know they have lances right? And they should NEVER get charged. So they shouldn't ever actually be attacking at S3...unless they get stuck in a prolonged combat, which again, should never really happen. If you can't break it, don't charge it!!!

sroblin
12-02-2009, 15:49
I kind of think the paint scheme and tall helms as the most distinguishing features of Dragon Princes compared to Silver Helms. Paint-wise, I tend to think of Dragon Princes having a darker look than the Helms; and yes, the big flowing dragon helms are another tell tale features. I don't own any of plastic silver helm sprues, but sticking to any tall helms contained therein would be a good way to dinstiguish them.

Arguleon-veq
12-02-2009, 16:14
I would just give them a scaley looking paint job. You could always try to get hold of some Sauros Shields.

They could have solved the whole useless Silver Helm debacle by simply making Dragon Princes 0-1 unless you took a Prince on Dragon. Then at least if you wanted Cav heavy without a Dragon, you would run Helms.

Braad
12-02-2009, 16:22
Well, actually there is no-one who can say that you 'must' use the appropriate models for the right thing. Ofcourse, something mounted should be mounted, and it is quite normal for an elf to look like an elf, but a quick glance at the silverhelms and dragon princes reveals to me that are not really that difficult.

Therefore I say: if you convert one of them a bit, and/or give them a different paintjob to set them apart, it should work fine, and I don't think anyone should have troubles there.

So, it mainly what you wish/want to do to them. I think giving the dragon princes a big banner with a nice freehand banner on it would already be nice. Individual models could be given indeed things like dragon wings on the helm. Or just something paintwise.

Kronos
12-02-2009, 16:34
You could also get a a box of grave guard (or find some one whom has spares) and cut off all the dragon looking winged helm bits and attach the where appropriate to the silver helms and their horses.

Don't think you need to buy a box of metal cavalry when you can jjust convert some plastic you already have.

isidril93
12-02-2009, 19:10
i think im gonna use the noble on horse as a cmahp (convincing enough i would think) and [I]try[/I to green stuff some dragony parts on them

i said try cos i've never used GS before but i really want to try so this will be a good opportunity

ill paint them like my bloodletter, red & gold them baal red everything. comes nice and it would make them stankd out from my normal blue elves...