PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Wight of ya: Arming Wight Kings

Major_Blackhart
11-02-2009, 22:34
Hey guys. Quick question for all of you: How do you arm your Wight Kings for your VC armies?
I've noticed a few things: very durable hero level characters, killing blow.
The positives: Any normal weapon you give them still lets them keep the KB special rule, high ld, can move as if ethereal and if that plus barding, they have a great armor save. Incredibly tough and durable. Cheap as is.
Negatives: Low WS, undead but not vamp so they can be affected by crumbling, no vampiric powers (reason to choose a vamp over most anything else), and KB is lost with all but one magic weapon, and the Black Axe of Krell, while nasty, seems almost wasted on a model with only mediocre chance to hit at best against those characters it's really intended for (and monsters).
Now, the low WS can be counterbalanced if he can be targeted by a vamp using the Helm of Commandment.
Other than that, he is devastating. As a bsb, he's still dangerous due to KB, and if you want him for more offensive capabilities, then load him up with a lance, a steed with barding, and/or the Sword of Kings. A 1/3 chance for KB with that weapon can definitely level the playing field against most things.
Now personally, I'm unsure how to really equip one if I were going to field the sucker. So I was wondering how you VC players and players-to-be might do so.

W0lf
11-02-2009, 22:38
Theres a few set-ups that seem very common

Wight king
BSB, Gem of blood, sword of kings

Popular in both editions.

In new edition T6 armour instead of gem of blood and helm nearby is possibly more favourable.

Wight king
BSB, Drakenhof banner, great weapon

best holder of the banner due to resiliance.

Wight king
Skeletal steed (to join knights), BSB, Lance, Shield,

Carrying ether 'always march' or 'barrows' with the unit having the other.

ScottyFargo
11-02-2009, 22:42
No characters crumble, Necromancers or Wight Kings included.

Most everybody loves making the WK BSB. With the nice armor save and T, it's pretty versatile to give the WK Sword of Kings and make him into a unit challenger to attempt to max out on the overkill thru 5+ Killing Blow.

W0lf
11-02-2009, 22:54
killing blow wont help overkill unless its a multi-wound model.

People tend to not send them at wight kings for some reason :P

Neknoh
11-02-2009, 23:04
Well, I've been thinking to and fro, and I've come to the conclusion that should I ever create a Vampire Counts army, it would be barrow themed.

As such, I would use two Wight Kings and the required Vampire, giving me something allong the lines of:

Vampire with Helmet and some other shinies
- Going into a unit of Skeletons most likely

Wight King with Sword of Kings and Armour of +1 Toughness
- He would go in a unit of Grave Guard

Wight King BsB with a Shield, the Hauberk a Lance and a Steed
- He would go in a unit of Black Knights

Units would likely be armed with spears wherever possible whilst the Black Knights would sport no barding. And, to add some level of fun, I'd be tempted to use Batswarms to go with the barrow theme.... deffinately unsure of whether to use the Cairn Wraiths though, might well be overkill in 1000 points.

sulla
12-02-2009, 03:17
So I was wondering how you VC players and players-to-be might do so.

Best equipment is the regen banner... Try killing a t5 3wound knight with regen with anything short of killing blow. It's not easy.

Spirit
12-02-2009, 12:01
My personal Favourite

Barded steed, T6 armour, Gem of blood, lance, bsb.

Put him in a unit of skeletons and throw him at the nearest enemy general, as long as you can roll 2+ you have 4 wounds, 2+ save. t6 and killing blow and they probably only have 2 wounds, because your gem removes one :D

MY second favourite: Hand of dust + great weapon + bsb

No one expects 2d6 S5 hits from a wight lord, they all expect 5+ killing blow, so when they lose 2 ranks before the combat begins, which usually ensures you outnumber, they are in for a shocker.

The Red Scourge
12-02-2009, 12:44
MY second favourite: Hand of dust + great weapon + bsb

Nice one. Though I'm going for the T6, 5+ KB wight just because ;)

Asmodiseus
12-02-2009, 12:59
Last game I had great success using Sword of Kings/Gem of blood combo. My Vampire Lord used the lore of death and sniped out champions with steal soul so that when the unit engaged my Grave Guard unit the character had to accept the challenge from the wight. I then used helm of command on my lord giving the wight king WS7 and the banner of barrows meaning he was hitting everything on a 3+ and some heros on a 2+ with a 173 chance of getting a KB.

Arguleon-veq
12-02-2009, 15:29
Sword of Kings, Gem of Blood, Shield, Barded Steed, Heavy Armour, BSB.

2+ Save, T5, 3 Wounds [really 4 and -1 for any character he fights]. Killing blow on a 5+ and +1 Combat Res.

madival
12-02-2009, 16:05
Why isnt the most durable one up here yet O_O?
A wight king with barderd nightmare enchanted shield and crown of damned?
-1 cc save and a 4+ save (make him bsb for the hell of it).
that or the usual nightshroud sword of kings bsb to protect the general from charecter killers.

Neknoh
12-02-2009, 20:45
That is a 1+/4++ save, not a -1+/4++

T6 and a 2+ save is generally more survivable unless going up against greatweapons, but then again, the Gem of Blood is likely to deal with that first of the three enemy attacks.

Spirit
13-02-2009, 14:51
that or the usual nightshroud sword of kings bsb to protect the general from charecter killers.

The nightshroud wont protect your general, if the enemy is allocating hits on your general, the vampire will need to have the nightshourd for your idea to work, as it only makes the enemy strike last if they attack the bearer of the nightshroud.

As for crown of the dammed, his LD isnt enough to justify giving him stupidity and i dont keep my vampire near my wight, so T6 and gem of blood is my choice, with a great weapon.

madival
13-02-2009, 16:57
The nightshroud wont protect your general, if the enemy is allocating hits on your general, the vampire will need to have the nightshourd for your idea to work, as it only makes the enemy strike last if they attack the bearer of the nightshroud.

As for crown of the dammed, his LD isnt enough to justify giving him stupidity and i dont keep my vampire near my wight, so T6 and gem of blood is my choice, with a great weapon.

from challenges is what i mean, I always run that and flayerdhaulbrek on general. How is his ld not worth doing that? he is second highest in the whole army. my math sucks for the armor value, but thats a 1+(0+cc) and a 4+ ward with t5 and 3 wounds. Almost no one can get through that short of tooled up fighty lords.

Sifal
13-02-2009, 17:51
is worth toughness 6 if he will become weapon skill 1?

W0lf
13-02-2009, 19:18
you use helm of commandment on a lord to make him WS4.

Otherwise id say no.

Sifal
13-02-2009, 19:49

It was this statement made me question why have T6 if no vampire is kept nearby with the helm of commandment.

Also, if the helm is on a lord and used to boost the WS of a T6 wight king the wight will become and stay at WS7 not WS4.

Whitesox
14-02-2009, 23:12
The ws and helm vs the armour is clarified in the VC FAQ,.. the wight is ws 6/7 depending on the character with the helm and toughness 6... a wise combo if you ask me :)

W0lf
14-02-2009, 23:15
Thats just stupid....

geez good job GW... *sigh*

Baron Von Rotten
23-02-2009, 04:45
Wight King with barded steed and the Hand of Dust(2d6 Str5 hits). Nobody expects the big dope to be carrying a bound item.

It is a game-changer.

TiechoNortheal
23-02-2009, 17:27
I run him with a Battle Standard and the Black Axe of Krell.

He's simply too deadly. One of my biggest beefs with the old book is that we never had a weapon that multiplied wounds. I'm a little miffed that Vampires can't take the weapon anymore, as if they could my general would have the thing in a heartbeat, but it's still plenty good on a Wight King.

The low WS never really comes into play much, imo. About 90 percent of the time he and his unit of Grave Guard are WS 6 from the Vampire I have with the Helm. Stack that on top of the Banner of the Barrows, and my Wight King, Mort, is hitting the vast majority of his opponents on 2's. Heck, he (and his unit) even hit a Bloodthirster on 3's.

I send Mort after anything and everything with more than one wound on its profile. Hitting a Giant on 2's and wounding on 3's, with wounds becoming D3 per, when combined with the rest of his unit's str 6 attacks is almost a guaranteed dead Monster.

Heck, one of my favorite tactics is to edge my Grave Guard forward into charge range of an enemy unit, let them charge it, and most likely win combat by a few points. Next turn, a pair of Invocations pretty much heals the worst of the damage, and a casting of either the Danse or Miasma of Deathly Vigor well and truly turns the tables on the unit that charged, as now all of the Wights are Always Striking First with Str 6, Killing Blow, Magical Attacks, sporting WS 6 and being at +1 to hit, re-rolling misses if it was the Danse that was cast, Mort and his Axe leading the way. Doesn't work against High Elves, of course, but it's made Chaos Players curse and whine on several occasions.

madival
23-02-2009, 18:42

oh and I forgot one thing that makes him even more powerful. Combine him with regen banner and banner of barrows. he lasted 3 rounds against grimgor ironhide and didnt make a single ward/regen save. if he had, then he would have easily killed grimgor (damn ward save caught my killing blow)

E-616
23-02-2009, 21:36
I've ran a Wight king as BSB with the War banner in a unit of Black knights with the Banner of the dead legion.

Great on the charge with S6 killing blow lances and even a unit of 6 plus the Wight king, has a unit strength of 28 with +3 to combat resolution from both standards before wounds are caused and with a high chance of outnumbering too.

madival
23-02-2009, 21:42
I've ran a Wight king as BSB with the War banner in a unit of Black knights with the Banner of the dead legion.

Great on the charge with S6 killing blow lances and even a unit of 6 plus the Wight king, has a unit strength of 28 with +3 to combat resolution from both standards before wounds are caused and with a high chance of outnumbering too.

If I was running that, i would take a vamp with the +1 CR power. amazing 5+ to Cr before combat starts

Neckutter
23-02-2009, 22:44
best title of a thread.... ever!