PDA

View Full Version : Tau Help

bagobitz
12-02-2009, 05:30
I was wondering if I should get a Hammerhead or a Broadside as my first Heavy Support unit. Right now im kinda leaning towards the Hammerhead. I already have an HQ, 3 Elites, 2 Troops so I dont want anybody telling me to forget about heavy support for now. Any suggestions?:confused:

kabum
12-02-2009, 07:04
In my opinion hammerhead.

Alx_152
12-02-2009, 07:27
A hammerhead is more versatile than a broadside.
It also depends on how much points you can spend on your heavy support slot.

garth40k
12-02-2009, 07:33
i actually prefer broadsides ATM. (i field both in my army) they are twin linked with a 2+ save. put a shield drone on them and they can take a few hits before they go down.
true they only have the solid shot from the rail guns which is a downer but i find they last longer and if you use them right they can do more damage then a hammerhead.
but maybe thats just my experience with them.
lol
garth
xxx

Hicks
12-02-2009, 07:40
If you're talking about a lone broadside, go with the Hammerhead all the way. It's much more versatile and moneywise a better investment too.

Sholto
12-02-2009, 09:41
While I love my Broadsides, I would have to say Hammerhead here. Not only is a vehicle more survivable, it is much more maneuverable, plus you get the submunitions option with the Hammerhead.

Fielding both works well, but if was only to field one, it would probably be the Railhead unless I was playing an all-infantry list or something like that.

If you do go for a Hammerhead, buy a Skyray kit. You get all (and I do mean all) the pieces for the Hammerhead in there, as well as the Skyray sprues. With a bit of care, you get two vehicles (three if you count the Ionhead!) for the price of one.

If you are going to buy a Broadside, save up a bit more for the Forgeworld version. They look so much better. Also, get some shield drones - I always take two.

Sholto

mughi3
12-02-2009, 13:27
As a former tau mechanised player i got a couple suggestions-

Assuming your elites are crisis suits move 3 over to the second HQ slot for a commander with bodyguard so you can give them all access to wargear upgrades (improved BS for the win)

On the matter of heavy support.
with 5th edition you basically need almost every upgrade on a hammerhead for it to truely work(and survive). personally i always skipped the sensor spines and black sun filter, but all the other upgrades are mandatory.

The sub munition does have it's appeal for versatility. however if your only bringing one HH you have a bit of a problem. in 40K bringing one big scary long ranged tank in your list means that every single AT weapon in your enemies army will kill it in short order. a rule of thumb is to always bring at least 2 to spread the return fire.

Given that, at this point your actualy better off with a couple broadsides instead of a HH to get the AT work done and survive. for the points of a base HH with rail you can get 2 broadsides, if you had points left over to upgrade you can make the 2 broadsides single units(squad leaders) with access to the armory.

The Orange
12-02-2009, 16:05
For a starting army I too would suggest going for the hammerhead tank. It's more versatile and fun to use. Broadsides are great but they fit only one specific role and usually spend the game sitting in one position (admittedly laying down the hurt). Also the HH is more expensive then a Broadside, thus allows you to filed a larger army.

carldooley
12-02-2009, 16:28
if you do get a hammerhead\skyray DO NOT glue the defensive weapon mounts, top mount and the traversing mount on the chassis. In this I agree with Sholto that it is much better if you can use the tank as a railhead\ionhead\skyray\devilfish as the need arises. And as I can attest - don't lose or trash the defensive weapons or the gun drones on account that it is wonderful being able to mix & match - on that note if you don't want the defensive burst cannons, id' be glad to trade a squad of FWs for 3 pairs of them.

xibo
12-02-2009, 16:30
since 2 broadsides go for the points of one hammerhead i guess the compare should be 2 on 1. the hammerhead is more mobile while the broadsides are more painful . while the hammerhead looks better against infantry on paper the broadsides aren't that bad either since they have more smart missiles .

if your playstyle favours mobility go with the hammerhead ( even with the move and shoot update broadsides still are the least mobile tau unit ) - if you need to get a static area where the opponent thinks twice before he moves his armoured vehicles in, take the broadsides instead.

can anyone who actually did this a few times give some comment on equipping the HH with an ion cannon instead of a railgun?