PDA

View Full Version : The Warriors - Remake.

neXus6
05-12-2005, 02:29
Walter Hill's cult classic The Warriors is being remade (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0423512/). :mad:

The director is going to be Tony Scott, brother of Ridley Scott.

According to Scott, (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1509875/09192005/story.jhtml) the only thing the two films will have in common will be the title and name of the gang trying to get home.

This time the film is to be set in LA in the modern day, and will incorporate large, real LA gangs, such as the Bloods and the Cripps; so whereas in the original film the Warriors may have fought 30 or so members in a gang at a time, this time they will be facing off over 3000 member gangs.

The plot so far includes a vast LA riot resulting from the assassination of Cyrus which works as a backdrop for the violence between the gangs as the warriors try to fight their way back home.

I have no hope for this film. Seeing as it is going to be a totally different movie they should have given it a totaly different title and had it "based on The Warriors." I can also invisage a terrible gangsta rap sound track going along with it.

Oh this sucks so badly. :(

Oh yes I did
05-12-2005, 05:52
I feel your pain, because the Warriors is hands down one of the coolest films ever made. But do we really have to let a crappy remake detract from our enjoyment of the first? I mean, (for example) I personally thought that Escape from LA sucked, but that doesn't stop Snake Plissken being one of the baddest stone cold bad asses in film history. Same deal.

And like most things 'retro', the increased publicity will make it that much easier to get my hands on a DVD copy of the original. I mean, I love my dodgy old VHS copy, but still.

Where are the Warriors going to try and get back to, though? And who's going to broadcast the Big Alert? These questions demand answers, and I don't think I'll like them. Fingers crossed that Snoop gets cast as Cyrus ;)

PS - if the original Warirors had been made today, you know it would have a gangsta rap soundtrack. Hell, I can name at least five hip hop songs off the top of my head that owe volumes to that film. You may not like the genre, but it's the natural extension. Shaft would have had one too. Not to mention Superfly...

neXus6
05-12-2005, 07:13
The only acknowledge gangsters not gangstas. :)

I only have a particular dislike for gangsta rap, there is good rap, gangsta rap is a part of it that I have no time at all for.

It's a moot point, those films were not made today, and have their own soundtracks.

Oh I agree it won't take away from my enjoyment of the original. However I can't see the remake being very good, it'll probably be all guns and drivebys, the best thing about the original was that it was an unarmed gang vs a bunch of folk with bats and stuff. Made it a lot more gritty than just "bang your dead."
That said I might actually like the movie if a couple of skinhead and biker gangs are thrown in that just destroy everyone. :cool:

Shadowheart
05-12-2005, 09:27
Yeah, this is dumb. A remake that only uses the title and the very basic plot isn't really a remake. Let them get their own title for their gang movie. Why claim any kind of link to a cult movie that their target audience won't know anyway? (they might know the new game though)

I expect the movie will be good in its own way, though I don't expect that's a way I'll personally enjoy. MTV's idea of cool, especially in combination with the subject matter, isn't one I share. The new Warriors will probably be as silly as the original, but without the charm.

I sure as hell hope they don't include any of the more memorable dialogue in the 'remake'.

Ravening Wh0re
05-12-2005, 10:03
Gah! No Baseball Furies means I have no interest

neXus6
05-12-2005, 14:55
they might know the new game though

That was really the only reason I could come up with, but I didn't know how well the game sold, or if infact is was any good at all.

No Furies = Bad

Edit: Just found out that the movie remake was actually planned since before the computer game so that's not it.

Baggers
05-12-2005, 17:47
I will say this wait for the trailer, Tony Scott is a very good director, not as good as King Ridley and after seeing Domino I reckon he could do a good film with out having to use Gangsta rap at all.

But lets wait and see who he casts and what the trailer looks like.

BTW: I am waiting for someone to try and remake Alien.

Cade
05-12-2005, 18:52
Crap, crap, crappy-crap crap.

This is going to suck major donkey-dick.

What's gonna be next? In fact, what's left that hasn't already been ruined as a "remake"?

de Selby
05-12-2005, 18:52
I had crafted a longer response but the computer ate it. In summary, i think someone should stab Tony Scott in his directin' hand with a flick-knife.

Cpt. Drill
05-12-2005, 18:56
WOW I love the warriors... its so... special...

I like the high hats... and the Orphans.... man.. that film is soo poor quality its funny...

I think a re-make could really work well... as the Dawn of the dead re-make was awesome... even though it was very different to the original... it was really good... I hope this will do the same!

Shadowheart
05-12-2005, 19:52
What's gonna be next? In fact, what's left that hasn't already been ruined as a "remake"?

I'm waiting until someone announces new movies of The A-Team and Happy Days.

I like the high hats... and the Orphans.... man.. that film is soo poor quality its funny...

You think the Orphans ain't with it? You think the Orphans ain't well known? :p

Hlokk
05-12-2005, 20:28
Funnily enough, I didnt like the warriors.

I think the new one sounds like a really good idea though, although I hope we don't see cameo's from the likes of Snoop and 50cent.

Although, to be fair, if rockstar hadn't made the game, no-one would have been interested in making a re-make would they?

marv335
05-12-2005, 21:01
i was under the impression that an a-team movie was in the works.
...shudder.....

Hlokk
05-12-2005, 21:04
I'm waiting until someone announces new movies of The A-Team and Happy Days.

Hang on, there was a happy days film :wtf:

I thought is was just a really naff series

Inquisitor Engel
05-12-2005, 21:16
"Can you dig it?"

No, unfortunately not. :(

neXus6
06-12-2005, 02:41
Although, to be fair, if rockstar hadn't made the game, no-one would have been interested in making a re-make would they?

As far as I know planning for the remake started before the game, so thats not it.

I do think it is possible that the movie could be good, as long as there really are a diversity in the gangs, asian gangs, black gangs, latio gangs, white gangs, mixed gangs, biker gangs, punk/skinhead gangs, etc...

However it should not be released under "The Warriors" it should have a different name and have "based on the The Warriors" in is credits and taglines.

Inquisitor Engel
06-12-2005, 02:53
as long as there really are a diversity in the gangs, asian gangs, black gangs, latio gangs, white gangs, mixed gangs, biker gangs, punk/skinhead gangs, etc...

See below. ;)

However it should not be released under "The Warriors" it should have a different name and have "based on the The Warriors" in is credits and taglines

Would "The Stereotypes" be appropriate? ;)

That's all it'll turn into.

EVIL INC
06-12-2005, 04:06
I will most likely watch the new Warriers. I was a big fan of the original. Remember the Twisted Sister song that swiped tha sound/line at the end? "Come Out and Play" , where they do the glass sound and start softly "Twisted Sister, Come out and Play" over and over? I just hope the new version does it justice even if it isnt identical, it can still be well done.

Strictly Commercial
06-12-2005, 05:20
I can't see it capturing the magic of the first one. The first one is a pretty fun ride as the first timer to the movie gets to wonder what the next gang's "schtick" is all about, which of the Warriors will make it back to Coney Island, what will happen with Ajax and Michael Beck's character (can't remember his name), listening to the pirate DJ chick keep score, it's classic camp early 80s. Plus gangs of the early 80s weren't so much drug running gangsta's as troubled kids looking for acceptance in a violent world. You could get behind tragic heroes like that, the best one can hope for in a modern version is an antihero, which doesn't really seem like it would work. Plus LA just won't work as well as NY, there's a certain dark charm of NY that LA just doesn't have (no offense to those who live there).

After all that, I hope it's a good flick, but it has a lot going against it.

neXus6
06-12-2005, 08:24
Would "The Stereotypes" be appropriate? ;)

That's all it'll turn into.

That's what most fictional films with gangs are anyway Engel, infact 99.9% of fictional film live up to some stereotype or another. You have a knack for stating the obvious.
;)

I'd rather it had a diverse bunch of stereotypes than just "black kids shooting each other" which is the No.1 stereotype of American gangs. :rolleyes:

Ouroboros
06-12-2005, 08:36
Seriously what the ****, The Warriors? They don't have any more well known old movies to dig up and ruin, they've gotten all the way down the list to The Warriors?

According to Scott, the only thing the two films will have in common will be the title and name of the gang trying to get home.

This especially pisses me right off. THEN WHY ARE YOU CALLING IT THE WARRIORS!

All they're going to do is tick off fans of the original movie by pissing on the name. They'd sell just as many tickets if they just called it "insert name here". It's like they want to drag the memory of better movies than they can make these days down out of simple petty spite.

The original movie was cool. It was on here a few days ago and I watched it again. Was nice to see some fighting in a movie that didn't involve either wires, kung-fu ********, or both in nausiating amounts like this remake is sure to have. I can't wait for the kickin' new hip hop soundtrack CD either. I've got my 25$ clutched and ready in hand! I wonder which rap artist turned laughable actor will be headlining this express elevator to the basement of shitsville.

nevermore
06-12-2005, 10:03
Im- a comin for you Scott!!!

I promise on the honour of my cheese slices that if he ****s this up as much as jackson ****ed up LOTR i will kill him, his family, his pets and eat the contents of his fridge while im at it!