PDA

View Full Version : tyranid warp travel?

genestealer_baldric
12-02-2009, 12:49
Reading the cain novel about the tyranid invasion, it says that the navy was waiting for the nids to drop out of the warp so they could shoot them.

Does this means that the nids travel through space in the warp?:confused:

if so how do they get in and out of the warp seeing as the shadow blankets the warp. Despite how powerfull the hive mind is i doubt it could hold out against the warp due to not using things like gellar feilds.

They wouldn't be a threat without warp travel due to the millions of years it would take to travel to diffrent areas. I reckon that they need to use they warp to move, otherwise the hive fleet can move stupidly fast outside the warp.

i can't find anything that explains this does anyone else know what goes on?

any help will be very helpfull :)

i can't find if this as another thread but if it is i will promptley close this one;)

Iracundus
12-02-2009, 12:53
Does this means that the nids travel through space in the warp?:confused:

Of course. The Tyranids have always used the warp for travel.

if so how do they get in and out of the warp seeing as the shadow blankets the warp.

The shadow is the sum total of the individual creatures making up the fleet.

Despite how powerfull the hive mind is i doubt it could hold out against the warp due to not using things like gellar feilds.

Your doubts are disproven by the fact that in the Tyranid codices it has stated the Tyranids do get by just fine without gellar fields. Their gestalt consciousness makes them more than a match for any random daemon.

i can't find anything that explains this does anyone else know what goes on?

I suggest your read your Tyranid codices and other Tyranid background sources more carefully. The answers you were looking for were all there from the beginning.

genestealer_baldric
12-02-2009, 13:02
Your doubts are disproven by the fact that in the Tyranid codices it has stated the Tyranids do get by just fine without gellar fields. Their gestalt consciousness makes them more than a match for any random daemon.

i have read the current codex and alot of fluff many times i dont remember it explaing their warp travel, ok the hive mind may be able to deter small demons but iam fairly sure if any big chaos creatures rock up to the fleet in the warp then bye bye nids.

how do they get into the warp and navigate in it and get out again? ;)

as you may of guessed by now i like nids and whant to expand my knowlage of them.:)

NeonDante
12-02-2009, 13:10

That's an interesting thought... imagine Demons fighting nids in the middle of warp space.

genestealer_baldric
12-02-2009, 13:20
that would be kool fight to witness ;)

Souleater
12-02-2009, 14:09
The Nids do travel through the warp...how they do this is not explained.

Sometimes we just have to except the fluff :D

noobzor
12-02-2009, 14:36
I was under the impression that they drifted in real-space, hibernating between food sources. Maybe this is just for "short" journeys.

Besides, we all know the amazing accuracy of the BL books :p

ryng_sting
12-02-2009, 14:46
i have read the current codex and alot of fluff many times i dont remember it explaing their warp travel, ok the hive mind may be able to deter small demons but iam fairly sure if any big chaos creatures rock up to the fleet in the warp then bye bye nids.

how do they get into the warp and navigate in it and get out again? ;)

as you may of guessed by now i like nids and whant to expand my knowlage of them.:)

Tyranids have nothing that daemons want. No emotions, no souls. Pickings are easier elsewhere.

MvS
12-02-2009, 15:20
Also, in a sense the 'shadow in the Warp' is the Hive Mind. It is the collective consciousness of every Tyranid creature. So, although this isn't exactly the same as a god, the effect on the Warp is similar. The Hive Mind is the ultimate consciousness of the Tyranids and the 'part' of the Warp it occupies at any given time 'belongs' entirely to it.

A random daemon could no more penetrate the Shadow than it could penetrate into the heart of a Chaos Gods domain, bearing in mind that the domain of the Chaos Gods and the very person of the Chaos gods are much the same thing. It's not entirely impossible, but very, very difficult and risky.

The asset the the Tyranids have is that they are the Hive Mind and the Hive Mind is them. It is not a separate entity which they worship or which tries to win their souls. So when the Tyranids enter the Warp, they aren't doing what humans do - enter into the Warp and then all the gods and daemons who fancy a piece of them come a running over for a look-see - instead the Tyranids enter the Warp on top of the Hive Mind, or perhaps even within the shadow of the Hive Mind.

They take the mind wherever they go, or maybe the mind takes the fleshy mortal bits of its existence with it wherever it wants to go - it's much the same thing. It would be like a human stepping into the bubble his own Warp-shadow whenever he enters the Warp and travelling around within it.

Or so I would suggest.

genestealer_baldric
13-02-2009, 06:53
yeah i surpose even the lowlest genesteler must be imuine, due to there fondness of floating about on space hulks without the hive mind to protect them must mean they have absolultey nothing chaos need, want or have.

If a small brood of genestealer do have a hive mind it must be amazingling powerfull to protect them

Asi the Red
13-02-2009, 17:05
Well, I imagine that there's two methods of tyranid warp transit - one for genestealers and one for everything else.

Genestealers don't really travel the warp, they lurk aboard warp capable vessels and hitch a ride. On hulks they have cultists put them in cryostasis/they go into a state of suspended animation, then when the hulk eventually drops back into warpspace there's really nothing there that attracts daemons. When it eventually drops back into realspace and gets found, the genestealers are brought out of cryostasis by alarms hidden by the cultists/come out of suspended animation when they sense nearby prey. On active vessels they just stow away growing their cult, protected by the vessel's gellar field.

Then there's everything else. Keep in mind here that when the tyranids travel the warp it's not "Wow, the hive mind is so strong in each gaunt that it protects them". It's that the hive ship carrying those 1000's of gaunts/warriors/every other tyranid creature is forming an island of Hive Mind in the warp (The Shadow in The Warp) And keep in mind that those hive ships are all traveling in a pack, so they're bunching their shadows into one big Shadow . Daemons are really nothing but little whirlpools of collected emotion, and where the Shadow passes these pools are either rendered quiescent or destroyed outright - only to reform when the Shadow has passed, much like eddies in the wake of a ship.