PDA

View Full Version : any teachers on here that run school based clubs

Simo429
12-02-2009, 15:02
we've got one at our school but it isnt well run, im a trainee teacher who will be there for another 10 weeks and id really like to get them going on a long term project for the next couple of weeks

any advice would be appreciated!

also did games workshop provide anything for you to start up with, some of our kids have stuff but id like to give others the chance

Isambard
12-02-2009, 15:30
Did the same thing during my PGCE year. I ran a club for 2 months, in which I worked with the students making a 8'*4' gaming table with some scenery. It was really nice, the students got to develop some handicraft skills, and they had something useful left over when I moved on.

ozzyboy
12-02-2009, 16:08
Im not a teacher, but seven of the students at my school are interested in playing. Some of them have already started their armies!

Simo429
12-02-2009, 19:10
even if your not a teacher and you've got some ideas about what we could do with about 10 hours over the next few weeks would be great

noodle-j
12-02-2009, 19:29
we had a club at our school for a bit, but we didn't get anything from GW to help us, it quickly turned into a D+D club, as it was "easier to get into".
it probably is, but it was a shame that warhammer was dismissed so quickly. if i were you, i'd get black reach and/or skull pass asap, just so people who are without any models, and are interested in the game can play, whilst you do other things like making gaming boards or organising a campaign if enough people have armies already, as projects. keep everyone involved as best you can really :)

Grotsnik
12-02-2009, 19:56
Am a custodian at a grade school. For the past 3 years I have been running a 40K "class" for 5th/6th graders as part of the After School Program. Class is 1 hour two days a week, normally running in 9 week cycles.
Start w/ teaching them the basic rules and how to play the game. Then we move on to building/painting figures and how to build up an army. Once a month we have a "40K Saturday", set up some tables in the cafeteria & let them play full games using either thier armies or some of my numerous ones. :D

Even had a couple students go to some local tournies w/ me and finish in the top half. Not bad for 10-11 year olds playing against adults/teens. :D

ASP(after school program) pays for the models the kids build & paint, the rest basicly comes out of my pocket(glue,paint, brushes, models to play w/). I have been playing since around '93 so had tons of old stuff that I used to build up enough units of marines so each player could run 1 HQ, 1 sqd, and a dread. AoBR has allowed me to add mobz of Orks for little of nothing. :D

We usually go thru the same cycle; learn the basic rules, learn to use vehicles, build/paint models, build terrain (simple ruined building, bunkers). Anything the kids build & paint they get to keep so they love that part.;)

Hauled out the old Gorka-Morka last month and and the kids are going nutz playing it as a running campaign type game. Teeth they earn from capturing scrap in one game gives them more boyz/wpns in the next game.

Don't look for any help from GW. I was able to work out a discount for my kids at my local game store when they or thier folks purchase stuff. Mainly because I build most of thier terrain & they were happy for the new players/business. :D

Simo429
12-02-2009, 20:02
thanks for sharing your experiences

we have about 5 lads that regularly turn up

we only meet for an hour a week and they all turn up with upwards of 2500 points although of course they have no chance of using any of them! there all very poorly painted as well none of them know about army lists or points and very few of them have read the rule book

im certainly not a expert ive only been collecting for about 6 months and ive only had a few small skirmishes but something needs doing with these kids

im thinking about talkng to our head and using the 'it would be very good for literacy route' to try and get some money to as suggested by a couple of black reach sets so they can set them up

Bodysnatcher
12-02-2009, 20:04
We started a blood-bowl club during my first year of Secondary school - we'd club together and buy a team between two or three people and we played a league. All self organised.
There was a club later on, but it did become a bit raucous. Start with small games and work up.

jedimasterwiggy
12-02-2009, 21:49
Heya,
I was working as a assistant in a school where one of the teachers ran a successful Warhammer club after school once a week, age range 8-11. The age can make a difference to how much you run the club and how much they can get on with things themselves.
You can get in contact with a lady called Bek Hawkby at Games workshop HQ who co-ordinates school and library clubs. I remember they used to do a starter pack with dice, templates and a few other bits.
Number is 0115 9004821 but it might need to go through a member of staff to maintain the contact after you move on.
Linked to this I read a nice bit of random research that promoted war games and roleplaying games as helpful for young boys education in terms of reading, mental arithmatic, probability and creative writing.

Aegius
12-02-2009, 23:31
Go to your local GW store and ask them for a contact in GWHQ that deals with school clubs. There is one and they should be able to help you. If the full timer at the till doesn't know what you are talking about, ask the manager. If the manager doesn't know what you are talking about, ask them to get the regional manager to find out.

I'm an ex-GW employee and I had access to a telephone number of the schools dude when I was working for them. But its not as if I'd remember a telephone number like that after 3 years. sorry.

sonsoftherock
13-02-2009, 01:50
Hi

I am a teacher who runs a club.

As suggested get in touch with Bek Hawkby from GW she will send you the school clubs newsletter and let you know what they can do to help.

GW run a schools league which has area competitons in March and a grand final in Warhammer world at the start of July. This is relatively recent, set up in the last 3 - 5 years, but it is growing and well worth taking part in.

The schools league uses the 40k in 40 minutes rules/ combat patrol, border patrol for fantasy and a similar small size game for LOTR. This works well in a school setting.

Talk to your local GW they will give you advice and will possibly even donate scenery etc.

I have found the introductory booklet from the starter sets to be a useful thing to give to pupils who are dead keen to get the models but less so to get the rules. It has enough of the rules to give you the basics and has a fair chunk of background as well.

I got several copies by asking round at a GW vets night. A lot of vets have bought the starter sets, they don't need the booklets and were happy to pass them on.

A nice trip for your pupils is to take them along to the Sunday academy at the local GW store. This will let them see the hobby in a different light. Talk to the staff beforehand and they will be delighted to lay on stuff appropriate to your pupils. We usually get starter games for our newer converts and some harder opponents provided for our better players.

As a trainee who is there for 10 weeks some of this might not be achievable, but bear it in mind for when you qualify!

Good luck with the teacher training!

Bunnahabhain
13-02-2009, 02:15
A UK trainee teacher, with time to think about 40k? in PGdEyear , that's impressive.

From what I've heard about teacher training from some of my closest friends, it's hell on wheels and then some, and this is is from people who've done Phds and other challenging things...

Private Ginger
13-02-2009, 03:13
I'm a freshman in high school and want to start a 40k club in my school, but don't know how to approach admins/principal about it. Any tips would be appreciated!

Cheers. Pvt G.

Tyron
13-02-2009, 03:23
Grotsnik what you do is simply amazing, I think I felt a slight feeling in my heart too :p

AlmightyNocturnus
13-02-2009, 05:35
I teach at a private junior high/high school and I have always wanted to start such a club at my school. I have done some painting workshops, but two things have held me back on starting a full-fledged wargaming club: how do I pass it off as educational and how do I get by the whole "in the grim darkness of the far future there is only war", bloodshed, guns, and mass slaughter? I can see my principle coming in to check out the club`s activities, picking up a terminator with assault cannon, shaking his head in disgust and calling me to his office. I`m interested how other teachers have gotten by these two problems.

Almighty Nocturnus

Isambard
13-02-2009, 05:49
A UK trainee teacher, with time to think about 40k? in PGdEyear , that's impressive.

From what I've heard about teacher training from some of my closest friends, it's hell on wheels and then some, and this is is from people who've done Phds and other challenging things...

Heck, I still worked key-time for GW during my PGCE year, and spent all my holiday time travelling (to Finland). It isn't THAT difficult!

starlight
13-02-2009, 06:04
Here's a good place to start: http://www.gamingclubnetwork.org/

misterboff
13-02-2009, 07:56
I'm friends with a teacher who runs a school club, and I'd suggest giving GW or your local stockist a call. We managed to get a paint set, some Moria Goblins and some dice for free, which was great.

I too recommend getting Black Reach/Skull Pass/Mines of Moria along with the Foundation paint set and a few brushes. That way everyone can chip in with getting stuff painted whilst others read the rules.

You can just play on school tables for now, or maybe or ask the Art Department if they could help with terrain or donate any materials.

Good luck, and I hope it goes well for you.

misterboff

Jimbobjeff
13-02-2009, 08:19
I help run a club at my school (at least till I go off to uni next year anyway) just up the road from you in Heanor actually, Its definatly possible to get free stuff (hint: go to gw Derby the guys are great). It might also be worth asking at your local shop, I know there is one in Ripley somewhere and they will probably be thankful for the extra business!

The other thing to remember is that the kids enjoying themselves is more important than playing a strict game in which every rule is adhered to, for example last week we had a game which featured Aragorn and a horde of moria goblins fighting some ultramarines and orks. I dont have a clue what rules they were using (if any) but they were enjoying it so we didnt interfere.

Penitent Engine
13-02-2009, 08:52
Hi,
I'm not a teacher (actually I'm a final year student), but we had a club that was integrated into our school's chess club. The only problem was that it ran in lunch, because afternoons are generally busy here, so we only had 40 minutes to pay. If that.
Generally what we did was play small games-mostly about 400pts for 40k, 700 for Fantasy-with some Mordheim/Necromunda thrown in. This was great fun, cheap and taught us all the rules. Really fun :)

If you have troubles with the principle (we did, being at an Anglican school), try emphasising the arts and craft aspect. Or if that fails, point out that they aren't actually getting into fights like everyone else because they're playing a game about them (well, it worked for us...)!

ashen
13-02-2009, 12:10
I'm a teacher and I run a club at our school. Its been going for about 3 years now and I have 4-10 players turn up once a week at lunch. We play 400 point games. We also occasionaly run holiday sessions and painting comps.
One thing that you could do is ask people in your local gaming area to donate any unwanted terrain. I also used to get local GW shops to come and do painting workshops with the kids, they would usually bring along free minis and mags.
Good luck!

EVIL INC
13-02-2009, 14:00
I am a guidance counselor at a Job Corps campus. We have a gaming group. Some of the kids play various card games and some play 40k. On the weeks the students get paid, I try to take them to a local shop to play on nice tables and participate in a card tourny with the locals.
On the weeks they dont get paid, I try to get them to play on campus. The issue we have is space and bigoted people. Too many discriminate against the gamers and put them down (yes, I mean staff) and do thier best to make sure they dont have space to play or store the board and scenery we use. it is sad that many learning institutions make it so hard on students who are willing to learn and play such educational games.

Grotsnik
18-02-2009, 18:29
For those that have or expect problems due to 40K being a "war game", point out the following.

40K teachs children mathematics, critical thinking, imagination and problem solving. Miniature painting and modeling teaches creativity, color coordination and refinds fine motor skills. They learn sportsmanship, to measure distances, how to interact with others, and that reading is necessary to learning.

Not too many teachers/principles can argue with that. :D

EVIL INC
18-02-2009, 19:13
Your right, but bigotry runs deep. Even pointing out and proving that does not change the mind of someone who has already decided something is "evil".

Grotsnik
19-02-2009, 06:31
That is why they sell the large heavy hard-back rulebook.:evilgrin:

So you can beat some sense into stupid people whenever necessary.:D

Lewis
01-03-2009, 14:36
Hi all,

I'm a secondary school teacher and som pupils have asked me to oversee their warhammer club. I wanted to know if anyone has experience or advice on running a club for 12-14's? Am I right in thinking GW sends out schools packs or something like that? Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated, I'm terrified of letting the little blighters touch my models!

On another note am I right in thinking that the armies in Blackreach are hideously unbalance? I bought it when it came out but have obviously never played with it...To play a decent child vs child rather than GW employee vs child game I'm going to have to bolster the orks an awful lot aren't I?

t-tauri
01-03-2009, 14:46
Merged to the existing thread.

Necrotyr18
01-03-2009, 14:48
Well I am not a school teacher but I am being taught by them. In high school now but learned to play when I was 12. The best way I could see to do it would be to do only 500 points of each army. If the like the game after that then let them get the whole thing. If you can get the school to fund you for supplies, call it an art class after school, then all they have to buy would be the models, which is still pricy for 12 year olds.

Also don't jump straight to models. Teach them the rules and have them come to a game night, tell your buddies first, and have them try to see if they can understand the rules. Just my thoughts.

matH
07-06-2009, 10:23
Sorry about the vague hint of thread necromancy here but this is the first time I noticed this post. I am a school teacher who has been running a gaming club for 5 years now with some success.

People are absolutely right that if you want help contact Bek Hawkby - bek.hawkby@games-workshop.com - she will give you some packs about how to move forward which was written by teachers (inc me) and will generally provide some start up materials such as scenery, paints and sometimes some books.

An additional source of information is on the community section of the games workshop site. Visit
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/articleCategory.jsp?community=true&communityArticleCatId=700001&articleCatId=700001&catId=
and either look at the school section or go to the resources for some information packs.

An final alternative is at Games Day Bek will be there on the community stand along with a few teachers to explain about school clubs.

If any teachers do get questioned about the value of a club by their SMT I have a powerpoint which details the value including data on improved inclusion rates and reading ages which vowed our SMT to the extent that they have considered giving us actual curriculum time to run it.

Finally for the first poster IIRC there is a library club in Ripley called the terror troopers which has very good links with Bek - you could try them.

Mat

u28baylishillo
27-02-2012, 20:07
I'm not a teacher but im an avid collector and i run our schools club and so therefore i have about 4-6 spare armies around depending on the points, we have plenty of room at our place and so we tend to store all of the "club armies" around, we have recently started playing 600 point games with special stipulations, we tend to come up with our own missions to try out as well, we have 3 rooms at my school were we are allowed and about an hour we have been going for about 6 months and we have already built 3 tables as a club which is good fun to do with your friends. Anyway we are playing a serious of battles about 4 games 1 V 1 on 4 separate tables each with separate players obviously so during about 2 months everyone will play everyone we make sure that people finish games by putting a 10 minute time limit on turns and a 1 hour time limit on the games. We are also using my YouTube channel and we have started to make a battle report series on youtube which we can learn form and refine tactics this can also help other people learn and refine their lists. Whenever we go to any tournaments or anything we always ask our opponents if we can record the games and we convince the school to lend us cameras, so we can all come together at the end of the day and watch how each person plays and how to best counter their list.
I hope this helped a bit even though i rambled a lot
P.S. Did you get the starter set which has the paints and all the booklets???
P.P.S. It's a good idea to get your school library to stock black library books, ours now stocks near enough all the warhammer 40k codices
:)
Happy Wargaming

Commander Proteus
29-02-2012, 03:17
I pitched, founded, and helped run a gaming club in my high school when I was a sophomore. We found a willing teacher who played Napoleonic games in his day, and so we basically had a willing teacher, but it was up to myself, and another friend to sell our assistant principal on the club. We showed him some models, and some codexes (Marines and Eldar, I believe, we kept Chaos and Orks out of the picture as much as possible, lest we become rated R)

So, we met up once a week after school for about 2-3 hours. It never really expanded, it was our core of about six gamers, and a few hangers on who showed up with their girlfriends, or some card players, and the occasional chess player who got tired of getting ranked last.

We kept it going till we graduated, and then that was it, because there weren't underclassmen willing to carry on.

My suggestion would be to get the GW starter sets for at least fantasy and 40k. If you have people who like LOTR books or the movies, then you could get something for this as well.

If you only have a few weeks to commit, you can't do very much in terms of a small escalation league or tournament, but if you're running the club for the whole of the semester, then you can really do just about anything. I wouldn't put it past most kids these days to pull off apocalypse size armies in a short space of time, but you could see some real nice 1K armies!

If you provide anything, I would say bring rules and codexes/army books for starters. Paint and brushes, possibly. Start with the paint sets for the various games, that gives you a good base, and then you don't commit to being the supplier to your entire class.

Good luck to any who attempt it!

-Proteus

ctsteel
29-02-2012, 11:19
A friend of mine started up a warhammer club at his school (he's a secondary school teacher). He's talked to the local GW and gotten some stuff from them I think, plus he's negotiated a special larger than usual discount at the local hobby store so that he can purchase on behalf of the kids and get them good value (he dropped $1000 there on a bulk order last weekend).
He also had the school library start a subscription to White Dwarf so the kids (and him ;) ) have access to it - while many think of it as nothing more than advertising there are still interesting and inspiring pictures, articles and information on the new releases (and really as the organiser of a group like this, anything you can do to keep the kids' passion up is good).

Friedrich von Offenbach
01-03-2012, 04:41
At my school club we had a 'club teacher' but he didn't do anything other than let us use his classroom. However we (the students) talked to the school, which is big on extra-curricular stuff, and got some funding which we added to what money club members were prepared to pay. Then we went down to our local GW got a two-for-one deal with them and got a ton of terrain and stuff. We were also really lucky as they were replacing the boards (this was before the days of realms of battle) for their gaming tables so we got their old ones.