PDA

View Full Version : Mounts in Units

vamp
12-02-2009, 22:24
I love the Count Manfredd model mounted on a nightmare. I really wanna stick him in a unit of graveguard. Is their any disadvantages of sticking a mounted hero in the middle of a unit of infantry? Asumming you can do it and you should be able to as I see no rules saying you cannot.

Tae
12-02-2009, 22:54
A mounted hero gets an additional bonus to his armour save, plus his mount will also participate in any challenges he (or indeed she) is in.

Plus you could always charge the character out by themselves if you wished (for example to chase an already fleeing enemy nereby whilst the unit turn to face another enemy).

Only thing to remember is that the character can never join a unit if his mount is a flying one.

As for disadvantages, other than increasing his price cost and making him look a bit awkward, not that I can think of no.

Lord Dan
12-02-2009, 23:05
GW are only +1S.

...yeah, that's all I got.

Necromancy Black
12-02-2009, 23:07
The unit can be target'd by some calvary spells. The one of note is Beat's Cowers, which will force the entire unit to not move.

vamp
12-02-2009, 23:07
Can he still benefit from the look out sir rule?

Necromancy Black
12-02-2009, 23:15
Yes. You have to be US5 or higher to not get a look out sir (unless there are less then 5 non-champion models in the unit with him)

Lord Dan
12-02-2009, 23:58
You mean "non-character" models. Unit champions are counted when determining whether or not a unit is over US5.

Felworth
13-02-2009, 00:15
You mean "non-character" models. Unit champions are counted when determining whether or not a unit is over US5.

Not according to the new FAQ...

Command Groups
Q. Does a unit champion count towards the 5
rank-and-file models needed to provide a Look Out
Sir! roll to a character in the same unit?

A. No, because when the unit is targeted by ranged
attacks, they count as Characters and not as rankand-
file models (see the last paragraph on page 81).

Necromancy Black
13-02-2009, 00:16

Ah, ninja'd above to the new FAQ :p

Also, doesn't make a damn differnce what the US of a unit is. Look Out Sir! does not use US in any way, shape or form.

Lord Dan
13-02-2009, 01:22
Who wrote the new FAQ? They deserve a good beating.

Neckutter
13-02-2009, 01:49
who writes all the new GW FAQs?
im with you, lord dan, blanket party for those people!

Necromancy Black
13-02-2009, 02:46
It's because in the rulebook it says that Unit Champions are treat as Characters for Look Out Sir!

Therefor they don't count as a rank-and-file model.

nosferatu1001
13-02-2009, 05:31
US does matter - US5 or above models cannot take look out sir...

Necromancy Black
13-02-2009, 05:44
Of a model yes, but I said unit. The entire units US does not matter, just the US of the individual model in question. Lord Dan was saying Unit Champions contribute to the US of the unit, which was on the wrong track.