PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Tau - HELP! It doesn't make sense!

Odin
05-12-2005, 07:49
I have borrowed a copy of the current Tau Codex to try to write up a few army lists. However, I'm having difficulty as it seems to have been thrown together in about half an hour, and nothing seems to make sense. No wonder they're re-doing it.

Anyway, these are the problems I have. Can anyone help point me to the appropriate bit?

1) Where does it say which battlesuits have jetpacks? All I can find is the bit which states that Broadsides don't have them.

2) What is going on with Commander's equipment options? They have prices listed in their entry for things like the Multitracker and target-lock, but there is also the armoury, which has a different price list. :confused:

3) Where are the rules for Gun Drones and Shield Drones?

There's lots of other stuff which has me prtty confused, like how exactly markerlights work. How do you Tau players cope with this gibberish?

RampagingRavener
05-12-2005, 08:09
The armoury is for Hard Wired upgrdes, which do not take up a hardpoint.

So, if your 3 Shas'o hardpoints were Sheild Generator/Plasma rifle/missile pod, you could then choose up to 3 more systems from the armoury.

Aurelien
05-12-2005, 08:39
Most of us cope by taking the time to read the rules:p

Given that there are three types of battlesuit, and it says specifically that Broadsides dont have a jetpack, what option does that leave you?

Markerlights are detailed on page 19. Drones on page 18.

Odin
05-12-2005, 09:35

Given that there are three types of battlesuit, and it says specifically that Broadsides dont have a jetpack, what option does that leave you?

But does it at any stage say that Crisis or Stealth suits DO have jetpacks? I mean, the rules don't specifically state that terminators DON'T have jetpacks, doesn't mean I can assume they do.

Aurelien
05-12-2005, 09:40
*sigh*

Page 16. Battlesuit Systems.

TheSaint
05-12-2005, 09:42
I believe Crisis suits have Jetpacks, stealth suits don't. Would have to check it though. Since Tau is not my thing (yet :evilgrin: )

A neutral shade of black.
05-12-2005, 10:31
FFS, of course Stealth suits have jetpacks. Read Jack Sparrow's, I mean Aurelien's, post. :rolleyes: Anyway.

Page 16, top left (battlesuit bonus profiles) for who has jetpacks.

Pages 18 and 22 for the hard-wired gear.

Page 18 for the drones.

In conclusion, I would like to do this:

QFT. :P Codex: Tau is one of the clearer ones out there.

Aurelien
05-12-2005, 10:37
What is QFT?

Odin
05-12-2005, 10:57
Cheers guys, it's all looking a lot clearer now.

Still, could be much improved, and hopefully will be.

05-12-2005, 12:10
What is QFT?

Quoted For Truth.

Or Quite ********** True, depending on which company you're in.

Still, could be much improved, and hopefully will be.

New 'dex in two-three months, so...

Odin
05-12-2005, 12:22
Quoted For Truth.

Or Quite ********** True, depending on which company you're in.

New 'dex in two-three months, so...

Yep, that's why I'm getting interested in them suddenly. Never played against Tau before yesterday. And the person I played against yesterday had never used Tau (well, he's basically new to 40K).

devolutionary
05-12-2005, 12:29
Wait... you can have 3 Hard Wired systems and 3 hardpoints?

Holy crap on a stick how the hell did I miss that? No wonder I thought they were underpowered, I didnt know you could deck them out with 3 of each *beams proudly* Me so stupid.

Shinzui
05-12-2005, 12:37
No only the commander can have 3 hard wired, Team leaders, Shas'vre and shas'ui can only have 1 hard wired piece of equipment.

devolutionary
05-12-2005, 12:38
Who cares? It's still better than I thought! I thought it was three things, and even four is much better :D

Odin
05-12-2005, 12:48
I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't work it out!:p

05-12-2005, 14:36
Who cares? It's still better than I thought! I thought it was three things, and even four is much better :D

Ohmygods!

Like, having a hard-wired multi-tracker and blacksun filter when you're an IC and not playing night fight is so über! :P

And the person I played against yesterday had never used Tau (well, he's basically new to 40K).

I'm guessing he played static Tau?

Gupp
05-12-2005, 20:00
Also, i beleive drones have jetpacks.

Lafeel Abriel
05-12-2005, 23:03
They do. Gun drones, at least.

onlainari
06-12-2005, 02:25
Hehe, funny topic :). It's true, it's not a codex for beginners. They've stuck all the important stuff in one area, those few pages before the army list, but haven't made it look important. Some people have a problem reading it.

Good work to those that don't (Aurelien, ANSOB).

2 SidED DiE
06-12-2005, 07:03
tau codex quite simple. read carefully.

drones get their jetpacks on page 18 in "Special rules" right under the states.
suits get their jetpacks and other gear on page 16 in "battlesuit systems".

there are no ways to imagine shas in termie armour with jetpack on back.
just read carefully

devolutionary
06-12-2005, 07:35
Hell, my problem was that I had it in my hands for maybe 10 minutes about 4 years ago. Ehhh no biggie, I'm awaiting the new one anyway.

Odin
06-12-2005, 07:43
I'm guessing he played static Tau?

Not particularly - he used Crisis suits, and we knew they had Jetpacks from reading battle reports. He didn't take Stealth Suits, so we didn't have to worry about whether they had Jetpacks or not. We didn't spot the Recoil Absorption rule, so his Plasma Rifles were only firing 12", which we thought was a bit dodgy!

He also moved his Firewarriors about a bit, and made good use of the new Rapid Fire rules.

06-12-2005, 18:37
Statitc Tau is anything that has every Fire warrior squad on foot. Check the link in my sig.

They do. Gun drones, at least.

So do shield drones. Under the drones stats, p18 (I think).

Good work to those that don't (Aurelien, ANSOB).

Heh, thanks. I would like to dedicate this award to... What do you mean, it's not an Emmy?

trendkill
07-12-2005, 02:01
i must admit as much as the codex was well structured, info for weapons such as markerlights would have been nice in the unit profile rather than having all the items in one section.

anybody else think this?

Ja'ei'makiir
07-12-2005, 02:10
Strange, it seems all quite clear to me.

07-12-2005, 12:50
anybody else think this?

Given that bolter profiles are in the wargear section and not under the tacsquad entires, why? Anyway, you always have the possibility of buying Wargear...