PDA

View Full Version : New Stegadon Model

Volker the Mad Fiddler
13-02-2009, 08:26
Is there anyone else who doesn't like this model? There is just something that seems off about it to me [it may be the proportions of the head, frill, and howdah].

ChaosVC
13-02-2009, 08:45
I going to put a hell cannon on my stegi. I'm love it. :D

Embalmed
13-02-2009, 09:57
Overall I like the model a lot, but if you go into details it may be argued that it is 'anatomically incorrect' if you use real life animals as a reference.

I think it looks great on the table and it looks like what it does, so to speak.

Neckutter
13-02-2009, 10:00
the butt looks kinda weird, but im overi t. oh, and his foot being on that cool ruin bit. pfft, im saving that bit!

oh, and i love all the weird little staffs and things. i needed some banners for my skink unit who is going to hang out with my one krox, and there we are.

Griefbringer
13-02-2009, 10:13
Different looks for different people. The old one tried to bear close resemblance to a pre-historic dinosaur (except for the howdah), while the new goes more into the fantasy direction.

I am personally slightly more fond of the style of the old one, but the new one does not look too bad either - and seems to come with a ton of modelling opportunities.

ehlijen
13-02-2009, 10:27
The old one tried to look like a ceratops (the dinosaur it most looks like) while the new one tries to look more like a stegosaurus in build (which is the one its name sounds most like). That's why it looks so much fatter (especially when looking at the head which on a real stegosaurus would be tiny compared to the body).

Then there's also the amputated tail that throws the look off.

I don't like it, but I wasn't going to get one anyway (don't play lizards).

McMullet
13-02-2009, 10:48
I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan. It's not horrible, but it could've been so much better...

However, there's a great potential for a conversion there. :)

Ben@BadDice.co.uk
13-02-2009, 11:18
I love it. Stargate for the win!

zak
13-02-2009, 11:52
Absolutely love it. The new model is much larger than old one, looks more individual (moving away from the Stegasaurus) and is far more imposing on the table top. Oh, and it's cheaper!!

slasher
13-02-2009, 13:44
my issue is two fold - 1) its just so much larger*. and 2) the skinks are smaller.... yep the old skinks are the same size as the skirmishers but the new ones are smaller - which makes changing the arms a tad odd.

* not an issue in its self -just a gaming issue - this large one here is normal steg and so is this small one.

Desert Rain
13-02-2009, 14:13
I love the new one, it look so big and intimidating, especialy when you put it next to some skinks :D

Bac5665
13-02-2009, 15:17
I think the kit is the best plastic kit GW has put out. So many options, and each part is crazy detailed. It has (almost) all the parts to equip skinks with command (why make standard bearer parts but not musician bits?) It is simply phenomenal.

However, the actual sculpt could have been better. I appriciate GW trying to be unique, but I would have preferred a beast that was proportioned a little better and looked a little more like a real ceratopsian.

penguin663
13-02-2009, 15:31
I for one love the new Stegadon model.It's a good size and with a little work can make a great warshrine model. I think one of the resons that people don't like the new one is they keep comparing it to dinosaurs. Now I'm not saying that this is bad but it is a fantasy monster in a fantasy game...

Bregalad
13-02-2009, 19:17
It is fat, has an ugly butt and I love the model. Has tons of bitz including a nice star gate.
It is a highlight of what is possible with plastic kits nowadays. I just bought it for the model (and will try to use it as a mount for a DE blood cauldron).

Earthbeard
13-02-2009, 19:21
I love the kit, I just wish the tail was longer.

Staurikosaurus
13-02-2009, 20:47
Love the new stegadon. Bought four.

Krom The Eternal
01-03-2009, 17:50
I love it im gonna convert it as my chaos warshrine hahaha put some warriors or marauders on it it will look amazing

Sylass
01-03-2009, 18:50
I really like the miniature and bought one of these beasts (I don't collect Lizardmen but used to have an army during 5th edition).

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, it does not really fit into any of my plans for possible amies/conversions at the moment. Maybe I'll just assemble and paint it. :)

fluffystuff
01-03-2009, 19:25
Personally I love the model, and you get a ton of spare bits with it aswell.

zedeyejoe
01-03-2009, 19:31
The tail is the bad point for me.

Feefait
02-03-2009, 03:35
I liked it but didn't think it was that overwhelmingly awesome. till i put it together. brilliantly engineered model, goes together perfect. that alone is enough for me. i have 2 other half put together metal stegs. just could never get that howdah to work right.

someone2040
02-03-2009, 06:58
I have to agree with Feefait. Although, instantly I love the Stegadon. But it just is put together so amazingly well. I think I greenstuffed 2 joins, and one of them was unnecessary (It wasn't huge, and the howdah would probably cover it). It's an amazing model I think, and I am 100% impressed at how large it is (There is no way you could pass off an old Stegadon as an ancient compared to these Behemoths).

Shiodome
02-03-2009, 11:14
looks good from the front, looks odd/stupid from behind... which is unlucky as the owning player is the one that gets to see the poor end, whilst the victim gets to be impressed by the front :P