PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs and Stegs: How do you fire yours?

Veloxnex
14-02-2009, 02:30
Just out of interest to see what people are planning on doing

Necromancy Black
14-02-2009, 03:18
Stand and shoot is fine, as it's not a warmachine. For those same reasons, I can't see how the chief can actually join the crew, instead he just rides on the mount.

Plus it takes 2 crew to fire the weapons. Saying the chiefs superior BS makes it easier for them to hit things is exactly the same as saying the crews lower BS makes it harder for them too hit.

sulla
14-02-2009, 03:24
In the case of the bow, it only penetrates ranks like a bolt thrower, so other than this, I would let it shoot in all other ways like a normal missile weapon (including stand and shoot).

In the case of the character, I'm a little less certain but I would lean towards playing that he can't use his BS because nothing says he can even fire the thing and he displaces a crew member rather than replacing him. Kinda nebulous and rules-lawyery but to me, I would expect that if he could actually fire the thing, it would be a skill listed for him, not just something allowed by omission.

Neckutter
14-02-2009, 04:05
it really isnt clear, whether he can shoot the ranged weapon or not. however under the stegadon entry; in bold letters is says "skink crew" and mentions that a chief displaces on crew member.

i would let an opponent shoot the bolt thrower with his BS, but probably not the big blowpipes since it takes two skinks to operate. and yes it can stand and shoot.

Necromancy Black
14-02-2009, 04:17
it really isnt clear, whether he can shoot the ranged weapon or not. however under the stegadon entry; in bold letters is says "skink crew" and mentions that a chief displaces on crew member.

i would let an opponent shoot the bolt thrower with his BS, but probably not the big blowpipes since it takes two skinks to operate. and yes it can stand and shoot.

But it also clearly states that it takes 2 skinks to operate the bolt thrower as well? Why would one BS be used over the other?

Neckutter
14-02-2009, 04:20
the skink chief gets to pull the trigger, while the skink crew loads the thing?

and the fact of how you would split up blowpipe shots, whereas the bolt thrower is a singular thing.

again, this isnt based on RAW, its just how i see it.

Dokushin
14-02-2009, 05:11
I don't like linking across forums, but someone at The Pyramid Vault sent an e-mail to the (newly centralized) rules questions guy, and he stated explicitly that Skink Chiefs can use their BS to fire howdah weapons.

It's not a FAQ, but it's the most official we've got. I've fired off the same question to make sure the ruling is consistent.

Neckutter
14-02-2009, 05:32
well that sure is good then. i guess the skin chief has enough breath to shoot both blowpipes in the shooting phase?

gross.

Veloxnex
14-02-2009, 14:22
yeah, i know its a bit of a messy situation, just was interested to see what people were doing.

nosferatu1001
14-02-2009, 16:40
Why cant one skink use the pipes, the Chief the other? They are clearly seperate items, as the stat line is for 1 giant pipe.

Desert Rain
14-02-2009, 17:13
It's clear in the book that they can Stand and Shoot with the howdah weapons. However, on the skink Chief issue it's unclear, it could be either of the alternatives but i believe that the Chief can shoot with either the bow or one of the blow pipes.

xragg
14-02-2009, 18:29
Give the chief the magic item (venom of the firefly?) that allows rerolls to poisoned weapons and have lots of blowpipe poison fun.

Roxors45
14-02-2009, 18:50
Give the chief the magic item (venom of the firefly?) that allows rerolls to poisoned weapons and have lots of blowpipe poison fun.

That's shady because it only applys to mundane weapons, mundane meaning "worldly" or common. A giant blowpipe isn't very common to the world as a whole and not even the lizardmen race (since there only mounted on Ancients). I'd feel like I'm exploiting and that rubs me the wrong way.
Same goes for the Chief using his BS. I voted for no stand and shoot also just based on the fact it seemed a tad overpowered (ill shoot you 4d6 on my turn and you won't want to charge to stop it nyour turn because ill shoot u again for 4d6.) How can a lizardmen player (and I am one) do this conciously and argue the fact with a straight face. 8d6 people? Really? And at BS 5 for 2d6 of it? No one feels bad about this because everyone knows they're getting away with it based on the fact its not clarified and GW isn't holding our hand in the matter. Or they hate GW so much for their vague wordings that they try to "teach them a lesson" by abusing it. Shame people. Shame on you.

Horus38
14-02-2009, 18:54
Stand and shoot is fine as many sources have said.

Using the skink chiefs BS is another matter which will need an official clarification from GW. My gut says no, but some sources (including an email to the GW customer service people) have said that yes, you can use the characters BS when firing the weapon.

Necromancy Black
14-02-2009, 22:33
That's shady because it only applys to mundane weapons, mundane meaning "worldly" or common. A giant blowpipe isn't very common to the world as a whole and not even the lizardmen race (since there only mounted on Ancients). I'd feel like I'm exploiting and that rubs me the wrong way.

In WH, mundane simply means "non-magical", so if the skink can fire the blowpipes then Firefly Frog vemon will work. Oh man that'll hurt!

And I have no issue standing and shooting at something like, a full unit of Blood Knights and Vampire who has the Red Thirst and a auto-hitting lance.

The rules let me stand and shoot, thus I will.