PDA

View Full Version : Armies Games Workshop should produce

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
14-02-2009, 16:13
Corsair Eldar, Exodite Eldar, Alien Hunters, can anyone else think of any? :confused:

Mojaco
14-02-2009, 16:15
Mechanicus models. I don't need the rules, as 'count as' goes a long way, but give me the models! Same for Genestealers cult.

Reaver83
14-02-2009, 16:16
the people who know how to use the search function army?

Lost and Damned, Genestealer cult, Ad Mech, Legions, all the 1st founding chapters, squats Zoats yadda yadda yadda

Warforger
14-02-2009, 16:17
Corsair Eldar are probably nothing more then normal eldar, except maybe with more transports.

The whole point of Exodite Eldar is to not fight at all and to be protected by Craftworld Eldar

Mechanicus
Dark Mechanicus

However the most important race THE LOST AND THE DAMNED
Mainly because fluff-wise, your fighting these guys way more often then you fight CSM, and there is a daemons codex, and we need some none cheesy army for Chaos.

Leftenant Gashrog
14-02-2009, 16:45
Lost and the Damned and Genestealer Cults (technically the latter could be folded into the former - originally Genestealers had 3 army lists, back then the Genestealer Cult was by definition a Genestealer Chaos Cult)

Laser guided fanatic
14-02-2009, 16:47
What is a 'Genestealer Cult'?

Hicks
As far as armies that are present in the background but you can't find on the tabletop, I'd say that the LatD and mechanicus are in dire need of a codex and minis.

Inach
None!

Let them make the current armies up-to-date first...

Vesica
14-02-2009, 16:50
Heresy era space marines =p

ehlijen
14-02-2009, 16:51
Space fishmen. Laser grox herds. Servo Skull Liberation Front. Adpetus Janitoris.

There are plenty of forces that would fight in the 40k universe, but not all of them would function on an army level (and thus aren't fitting in the 40k engagment scale) and many just wouldn't make for interesting or different enough armies.

The first category is the likes of alien hunters. Really, you're just looking at the same old inquisitors with a bunch of gear noone'll use and some fancy marines as allies. Sounds a lot like DHs to me. Even WHs were not really that different and if it hadn't been for the fact that the sisters of battle already existed, they wouldn't have been made either.

The second category is exodite and traitor guard. An exodite army would not really have a military that could stand against most other 40k forces (aren't they the 'wild' eldar that are trying to colonise old worlds without the industry base of craftworlds to fall back on?) and would thus not make for interesting armies. Traitor guard just offer little new things when compared to loyal guard. They needed to be buffed with all sorts of mutants and deamons in the past to not make them 'evil' guard (tm) now with new twirly moustaches. And between those and CSM allies, all that was left of the 'guard' component was usually just the tanks and that's changing the guard short and still does not give background compliant battles.

Reflex
14-02-2009, 16:54
NECRONS!!!

oh wait they did that and forgot about them... now they be epic fails... hmpf

MrGiggles
14-02-2009, 17:28
I'm actually with Inach on this one. There are plenty of armies who could use an update in terms of either books or models before we worry on yet another faction.

That being said, I'd love to see something along the lines of Ad Mech or Dark Mech with some nice, crazy models and rules.

Snotteef
14-02-2009, 17:37
What is a 'Genestealer Cult'?

In the olden days, Genestealers had their own army. Genestealers infiltrate human society (now in preparation for Tyranid invasion, but it wasn't always so), since they need hosts in order to breed (think Alien films). Each generation incorporated more and more human DNA, so you started to get hybrids. These genestealers were lead by a Patriarch (think ugly, lumpy Broodlord) who enforced his will psychically through a genestealer Magus (a charismatic, psychic hybrid). Cults would spring up around the Magus, adding human troops to the list. Genestealer cult armies consisted of: The Patriarch, Magus, Hybrids, 'Stealers, and cultists armed with whatever weaponry they could scrap together. They even had their own transport. It was (I am not kidding) a limo.

They had a small list in 2nd edition, but have since quietly died the death of the squat.

Simo429
14-02-2009, 18:16
adeptus custodes although they'd be too powerful

Khornate Fireball (Ork)
14-02-2009, 18:19
Ork Klanz, ov kourse.

chaos0xomega
14-02-2009, 18:24
Admech
Darkmech
Exodite Eldar
Crone World Eldar
Lost and the Damned/Traitor Guard
Grot Rebels

Leftenant Gashrog
14-02-2009, 18:38
..but have since quietly died the death of the squat.

Not quite, Genestealer Cults are not only still mentioned, but are in fact an instrumental part of the timeline advancement in the most recent Tyranid codex, unlike the Squats who GW refuses to even explicitly mention.

tacoo
adeptus custodes, cmon the people with the emperers geneseed is just awsome.
admech
or
darkmech.
i love reading bout the mechicanum and skitarri aremys marching across the firled seem awsome.

Simkin78
I'd like to see a Spartan style, nid carapace armoured dwarf army that has little use for the Emperium after being abandoned to their fate and an extreme hatred of all things bug.

But I'd only like to see that after every existing army gets full updated models and rules. Balance it all out, stop releasing new books and new rules, update all models that are listed in every codex.... then get me some Dwarves!:D

Warboss Antoni
14-02-2009, 18:39
Well, only lost and the damned.
They are drastically different from a regular gaurd army. Considering they need to be able to use deamons and chaos marines ( although it would never happen ), and also are a lot more varied then the gaurd, and not equipped as well.
Honestly though, I didn't like the old LaTD list that much. It was nice, but I think it focused too heavily on mutants.
But then there is the Seige of Vraks, which has a very sexy renegade list in it. But that's the kind of army I would like to play, a more organised renagade army like the Blood Pact. So, GW, bring back LATD!
They are the only major force really needing a codex. Mechanicus would be a distant second, and anything else is just too smal to consider, or easily done with counts as.

Exodites, really? They work perfectly with the current Eldar codex. All you need to do is replace some tanks and jetbikes with reptiles, and your gold.

Radium
14-02-2009, 18:44
None.

They should create more random fluff (not just SM fanfics). You know, short stories about all sorts of races/factions.
And create a load of minis just for the sake of it. Nice minis, that have no game value whatsoever.

GeneralDisaster
14-02-2009, 18:55
I agree with Radium, but I would like to see stats for an Adept. Custodes Army. I COULD use the stats in Rogue Trader, and convert the models.

But who would agree to fight them?

guillaume
14-02-2009, 19:06
I'd say a brand NEW alien. Space is vast, and it is about time that a new threat reaches Imperial Space.

How about something similar to the karmans of AT-43. Large models that cost a lot of points but are fairly tough. So the entire army is on large base.

http://www.at-43.com/images/stories/AT-43/KA/KARE01__03.jpg

Something quite different.

Shield of Freedom
14-02-2009, 19:13
I would like to see a new alien race. Something non bipedal or very alien. A "space Dwarf" army would also be nice to finally fill that gap in 40K.

I don't want anymore Imperial armies.

Lost and the damned would be kinda cool because it represents one of the two most common enemies the Imperium would fight (orks being the other). It has to have more traitors/renegades though, backed up by daemons and mutants. The Chaos marines should be removed from it altogether.

Grindgodgrind
14-02-2009, 19:27
None, I think the armies awaiting updates should be concentrated on first.

BladeWalker
14-02-2009, 19:31
I would like to see a Codex: Rogue Trader that adds a variety of abhumans/aliens like beastmen, ogryns in more detail, Slann, Jokaero, Zoats, and more. Also, reintroducing the Rogue Traders and making the abhuman army available to them along with other Imperial units (SM/IG).

I have always loved the flavor of the Imperial army idea from the Rogue Trader book, I think recapturing part of that in a supplement or army book would be awesome. Just a long time gamers dream... :)

Bookwrak
14-02-2009, 19:34
None.

They should create more random fluff (not just SM fanfics). You know, short stories about all sorts of races/factions.
And create a load of minis just for the sake of it. Nice minis, that have no game value whatsoever.

And that would make money... how?

Grazzy
14-02-2009, 20:06
Has to be lost and the damned. They are so varied and have so many conversion opportunites available to them that they just have to be made someday.

They are the only major force currently missing methinks.

utrotaren
14-02-2009, 20:09
The Umbra or a new alien race from the halo zone.
Some thing that will turn up side down on what we know of the universe. A enteti so powerfull that made the tyranids flee from them. Yes the are fleeing not seeking new feeding ground.

Warforger
14-02-2009, 20:15
So I think the general consensus is that LoTD are in the most dire need of a codex (I hate how there's a codex:Daemons, but no LoTD)

Hrw-Amen
14-02-2009, 20:27
There are plenty of armies that need updating first, but if we are going to have something new then it sould be non-humanoid. That does not mean just another bug race with bioweapons, just becuase something is not humanoid does not mean it can't of evolved technology, it's just knowing what to make it different? I'm not sure. But yes first of all update what we have got.

I would also like to see a range of figures that are non military. They used to make some in the olden days. Things like normal townsfolk, administrators, shopkeepers, people in the bar, ships crewmen. They may not serve much purpose in an actual battle, but would nontheless be good to have. Perhaps they could be used as an objective, rescue the Imperial citizens trapped in the whatever?

DarkMatter2
14-02-2009, 20:37
I think nearly everyone is in agreement that we need a LatD codex.

I heartily second that idea.

wizuriel
14-02-2009, 20:45
I would love to see a Q'orl army.

They would have a good grudge against humanity and Eldar and probaly the Tau empire.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
14-02-2009, 20:56
Gotta go with LaTD. At least they could give Daemons some cross codex rules that allow them to ally with Guard and Chaos Marines so we can accurately portray god specific armies and LaTD armies.

Sideros Peltarion
14-02-2009, 21:00
Hrud would be quite cool, but only if they were as they appeared in the 3rd ed rulebook. The version in Xenology looks stupid.

Lost and the Damned would also be a very good army to bring back

cool0001
14-02-2009, 21:03
I'd like to see the Interex but they would probably be to similar to Tau (have allies + highly advanced) and Eldar (hate chaos + highly advanced)

Earlydawn
14-02-2009, 21:05
Most of the aforementioned armies aren't, fluff-wise, worthy for a regular table deployment. I'm still pushing for an AdMech army, though.

guillaume
14-02-2009, 21:09
I would also like to see a range of figures that are non military. They used to make some in the olden days. Things like normal townsfolk, administrators, shopkeepers, people in the bar, ships crewmen. They may not serve much purpose in an actual battle, but would nontheless be good to have. Perhaps they could be used as an objective, rescue the Imperial citizens trapped in the whatever?

I like the idea. I could see that non-military models could be used with scenarios. I suppose a 40K game add-on, like the warhammer General's compendium of old, with scenario rules such as each side having a "tech team" of non military personnel that one has to get across the field safely to objectives where they can work their tech-knowledge...such as making beacon works or repairing other hardware pieces needed whilst the ennemy is desperatly trying to a) capture the tech people (+200VP), or b) shoot them
(100VP)...

This would open the door for a brand new hobby and gaming experience.

I must say, that whilst LoTD has opportunity, it doesnt take the game to new and uncharted territories. I must say that a brand new Alien would just do that.

DarkMatter2
14-02-2009, 21:16
I must say, that whilst LoTD has opportunity, it doesnt take the game to new and uncharted territories.

At this point it is near impossible to visit "new and uncharted territories" without either compromising the setting and getting the "the C'tan did it" effect, or making the new army insignificant plotwise and thus less appealing to a lot of people.

Juggernaut246
14-02-2009, 21:18
Lost and the damned, Lost and the Damned, and most importantly... Lost and the Damned

Really, Fantasy has three Chaos Armies, why shouldn't 40k. Yes i know you can make a decent LATD army using the Imperial guard Codex using "Counts As" or use the "Heretics" list in the Witch hunters codex, but really, its just not the same as having a dedicated codex.

MrWoten
14-02-2009, 21:21
SQUATS.

Look into your hearts, you know it to be true.

Lord Raneus
14-02-2009, 21:42
Chaos Legions, so they can actually get done justice and the Renegades can sit unloved in their own codex.

TheDarkDuke
14-02-2009, 21:58
mechanicus could be cool. same with those human guys in the heresy book where erebus steals the daggers (i think). cant recall correctly but they sounded sweet with laser bows or something similar.... man i have to re-read that book cant remember it much anymore

Lord Raneus
14-02-2009, 22:01
If I recall correctly they were the Interex.

The Samaritan
14-02-2009, 22:19
Gungans!!! Yeah!! With king jar-jar binks :D

captainramoz
14-02-2009, 22:24
adeptus custodes although they'd be too powerful
the imperium needs a chessy army:)

Sideros Peltarion
14-02-2009, 22:41
Just because they would be individually very powerful doesn't mean the army would be beardy. Just look at Grey Knight armies

Thylacine
15-02-2009, 01:58
Same old question, same answer.

Rats in Space, give us the Space Scaven we long for. Little critters riding on the coat tails of the Imperium, hiding in the shadows (hmm sounds a bit like Codex Space Roach) coming out to borrow or steal the technology that mankind has lost or forgotten.

Just give me the space rats and be damn quick about it!

exMudPuppy
15-02-2009, 07:44
I'd like to see a Spartan style, nid carapace armoured dwarf army that has little use for the Emperium after being abandoned to their fate and an extreme hatred of all things bug.

But I'd only like to see that after every existing army gets full updated models and rules. Balance it all out, stop releasing new books and new rules, update all models that are listed in every codex.... then get me some Dwarves!:D

I gotta agree with this one. This army would probably get me to spend another disgusting amount of money and time on little plastic toys. :evilgrin:

Kettu
15-02-2009, 07:56
Do you know the picture of Sister Sin back in the Rogue Trader rule-book? And the unit option in 2nd edition for the Sisters of Battle?

I propose an army of them.

Think about it, nicely fit between the Horde s3 t3 and the MEQ.
All we need is some plastic minis and a codex.

Codex Sisters of Battle, yeah, it'd be great.

Pity GW won't be adding any new armies into 40K.:cries:

T_55
15-02-2009, 08:27
Lost and the Damned please.

Radium
15-02-2009, 08:33
And that would make money... how?

Basically by doing what GW claims to be doing (we're all about the minis, not the game!). And if they would release something like codex: imperialis (2nd ed...), all of those cool mini's would find a use. People'd need to get off of their tourny chairs to use it, but the game needs a more relaxed approach where everything weird goes.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
15-02-2009, 11:52
What about some sort of mutant army (that is not Chaos). Maybe humans that lived on a very radioactive planet, they mutated, and now the imperium use them as a suicide force, run in smash enemies, die.

kabum
15-02-2009, 11:56
Wothout question ADEPTUS MACHANICUS !!

AntsArmies
15-02-2009, 11:57
I really miss the good old Squats! Also the Orks from the days when they were more fun than angry!! What ever happened to them....

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
15-02-2009, 12:02
Who else wants Squats back? If they do that, there would be a problem. In my Craftworlds history, that I made up we had a massive war with the Squats, and completely wiped them out, so if they come back I would have to change it.

What about a robot army, and before you say it I wouldn't count Necrons as robots. Also maybe a Predator style army, they will be at war with the Tyranids (who look a lot like Xenomorphs)

Snotteef
15-02-2009, 15:25
I realize I never answered the OP's question. Oopsy.

Logically, LatD is the best choice, but I'm gonna go with squats. I miss them. If you take away the silly biker aspect, they were actually pretty cool. Some nice new minis would make them very attractive. I'd want them pretty old school. Ala actual imperial squats with flak armor and lasguns (maybe [I]speshul[I] lasguns to represent how well crafted they are... counts as hellguns or something along those lines).

Also, Hearthguard in exo-armor that DON'T look like walking easter eggs would be nice. :p

Draquenoire
15-02-2009, 21:52
I'm gonna go with Adeptus Mechanicus for my answer. In particular, the fluff piece "The Battle of Gryphonne IV" in the Tyranid codex stirred my nerdy heart to the very core. The whole thing reminded me of the Golden Army in Hellboy II.

p.s. Would I be stoned for wishing the return of Old Ones?

Aegius
15-02-2009, 23:15
Who else wants Squats back? If they do that, there would be a problem. In my Craftworlds history, that I made up we had a massive war with the Squats, and completely wiped them out, so if they come back I would have to change it.

What about a robot army, and before you say it I wouldn't count Necrons as robots. Also maybe a Predator style army, they will be at war with the Tyranids (who look a lot like Xenomorphs)

sorry, but the tyranids beat you to it. They were eaten by a hivefleet.

Pacific
16-02-2009, 00:15
Hrud would be quite cool, but only if they were as they appeared in the 3rd ed rulebook. The version in Xenology looks stupid.

Lost and the Damned would also be a very good army to bring back

I remember once there were rumours going round that Hrud would be a kind of 'space skaven!' Not sure how much truth there was in it though..

Really though.. the 40k universe has gone far, far too long without a good 'dwarf in space' analogue...

Ironmonger
16-02-2009, 04:00
Adeptus mechanicus!!!

mughi3
16-02-2009, 04:14
Well i play gothic so i want to see
.adeptus mechanicus
.dimurg
translated over into 40K

my understanding is that remenants of the squats are still around, they just call themselves the dimurg.
;)

Did i mention they have cool ships in gothic.
:evilgrin:

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
17-02-2009, 12:15
Who are the Adeptus Mechanicus, and the lost and the damned? I am guessing the latter is a Chaos Space Marine legion

Sideros Peltarion
17-02-2009, 12:52
Who are the Adeptus Mechanicus, and the lost and the damned? I am guessing the latter is a Chaos Space Marine legion

The Adeptus Mechanicus is the priesthood of Mars. They build most of the Imperium's special equipment on Forge Worlds. Techpriest Enginseers are their Guard unit.
Lost and the Damned were an army created for the Eye of Terror campaign consisting of traitor Guard, mutants and allied Chaos Space Marines but the list is now not official.
You sound new to the game and don't seem certain areas of its fluff. I suggest you head over to www.lexicanum.com and have a read through there. It is an unnoficial WHFB and WH40K wikipedia type thing and very useful for getting an overview of the settings and factions.

Captain Micha
17-02-2009, 13:03
Dark Eldar? There it was said. Someone had to say it :D

genestealer_baldric
17-02-2009, 15:45
As been said before iam getting a bit board of humanoid creatures in 40k and certainly nothing more from the impeirum. They havent sorted out there current armies and till they sort them out they shouldnt get anymore.

I want a vastley powerfull small advanced alien race thats not humanoid, but not like nids. Maybe giant crystal based lifeforms that use technolgy, or shapeshifters.

pringles978
17-02-2009, 15:50
im going for codex xenohunters to finish off the inquisitors and genestealer cults to fight them. i think some of the "gaps" in the 40k universe need filling in, and LATD, genestealer cults, admech and some alien races would help.

i wouldnt mind seeing something like a 40k "dogs of war" book, with rules for rougue traders, xenos units and the like, with the option to take them in other armies as mercs. it would mean gw could introduce new races without having to fund an entire armies worth of new releases. they could then figure out those with the best consumer reception and maybe expand them to a full codex.

and i honestly liked the biker squat thing. there, i said it.

Emperor's Avenger
17-02-2009, 15:54
Lost and the Damned, Adeptus Mechanicus, and maybe another alien race that has been mentioned in the background, but never on the tabletop (Barghesi, Hrud etc.).

Lost and the Damned being the only ones that really need a codex, but the other two would be nice.

Coragus
17-02-2009, 15:56
It's Fantasy, but there are two skeleton armies, one of which is led by vampires. I'd love to see Lycans in an army, in not a whole army of them.

loveless
17-02-2009, 15:57
The Umbra.

Pull that one off, GW :p

genestealer_baldric
17-02-2009, 15:58
It's Fantasy, but there are two skeleton armies, one of which is led by vampires. I'd love to see Lycans in an army, in not a whole army of them.

Space Wolfs 13th company, there sound like what you whant, space warewolves in powerarmour ;)

dugaal
17-02-2009, 16:25
Squats... Maybe The hive fleets caused them to flee further underground, while the surface was cleaned bare by the tyranids.
This forced them to innovate larger and more destructive machines for boring hard rock and weathering magma and pressure. (huge rock drilling vehicles and Mech suits, lots of AP 2 weapons) Given sufficient time after the Hivefleet passed, they emerge to find new fertile planets to start anew (excuse for conquest and war)

Doppleskanger
17-02-2009, 17:17
Well logically they do need to do Lost and Damned, maybe a codex themed around the Blood Pact, but flexible enough to do other variations. of course I really want Adeptus mechanicus, and its an army that enough people have got custom builds of that i guess it would sell.
As for all the other ideas...i think it would be great to get a army wide version of the VDR's where all these wierd forces could be created, with point costs given for each degree of custimisation used. You'd start with a basic human sized figure with average stats and pay x points to make them larger, x more to make them monstrorous creatures, x more to make them fly, x to equip them with this sort of weapon, x more to increase the weapon strength, x more to make them a lower ap etc etc etc.
Obviously none of them could be 'official lists', but if done right it could be damn cool. Why not, an overpriced hard back, containing all you'd ever need?

Laser guided fanatic
17-02-2009, 17:19
I want to see wood eldar.

Count de Monet
17-02-2009, 17:40
Lost and the Damned/Traitor Guard. Can do it using other books, but it'd be nice to have a regular book.

Adeptus Mechanicus. Given all the Apocalypse stuff I'd be surprised if they aren't actually working on this one at some level.

Alienhunters. Either on its own or re-do the Inquisition as one big book and include all three Ordos.

New Aliens. Maybe an octopoid-like species that levitates around, is psyker heavy and uses a mix of skimmers and bizarre walkers. The game can always use more cool walkers. :D

fantomex
17-02-2009, 19:59
Mechanicus - Because it'll probably be the bst thing about Imperial armies EVER. Also, you could shoehorn Iron Hands in, like Codex: SM shoehorned anything non-Calgar out.

Lost & The Damned - Nobody can have enough of what could be an army with endless options.

Traitor Legions - 10,000 years of being imbued with Chaos power? They are easily going to be the equal of Grey Knights at this point.

Inquisition - It's the first two books, plus some extra bits and bobs like Deathwatch. Not to be sniffed at.

Squats/Demiurg - Whatever is said, so long as they do it right, they'll be cool. Heck, look at ratlings. I'd love them so long as they are more shorty than dwarflike, like halfway up a guardsmans chest, not eye-to-eye with his crotch.

Q'Orl - From the pages of Xenology, a species with some neat concepts, non-humanoid, non-Tyranid looking, big bloody bugs with lots of legs, little gribbly bits, literally spraying liquid technology all round the toilet bowl. And they'd probably be able to control Tau. Whats not to be liked here?

Bunnahabhain
17-02-2009, 23:56
One race with a properly written, playtested, proofread, balanced and errata'd codex.

Once it has been seen that this can be done, they can extend this revolutionary approch to the others, and not taking 3 editions to do it.

Then they can start on these extra races.

Frankly, unless they switch sales modes, and go to on-line documents, and don't rely so much on new codexs to bring out new models, then I can't even see them managing the first part.

laudarkul
18-02-2009, 08:13
-Adeptus/ Dark Adeptus - it is about time, they are a presence in the fluff now so....
-whatever (with the condition that all the existent armies should be up-date to the last Codex)

StarshipBOb
18-02-2009, 09:06
There's only one army that I would be eternally grateful to GW for producing:

AdMech.

genestealer_baldric
18-02-2009, 09:21
When you say lost and the dammed do you mean legion of the dammed?

in which case i would love a legion of the dammed codex

Filthy O'Bedlam
18-02-2009, 11:07
Squats... Maybe The hive fleets caused them to flee further underground, while the surface was cleaned bare by the tyranids.
This forced them to innovate larger and more destructive machines for boring hard rock and weathering magma and pressure. (huge rock drilling vehicles and Mech suits, lots of AP 2 weapons) Given sufficient time after the Hivefleet passed, they emerge to find new fertile planets to start anew (excuse for conquest and war)

That's actually a remarkably feasible way to explain Groups of Squats surviving a Hive Fleet. I like it alot.

Hrafn
18-02-2009, 11:11
Really, Fantasy has three Chaos Armies, why shouldn't 40k. Yes i know you can make a decent LATD army using the Imperial guard Codex using "Counts As" or use the "Heretics" list in the Witch hunters codex, but really, its just not the same as having a dedicated codex.

Not that I disagree that a LatD army would be very nice and quite appropiate both fluff-wise and gane-play. But you do realize that your line of reasoning would mean that we should get Exodites as well? Given that there also three Elven armies in WFB ;)

As to Exodites, I believe they could make a fine stand-alone army. Just to make it clear: Exodites does not spring from Craftworlds and are not dependent of them. Exodites are their own special Eldar culture, totally seperate from both Craftworlders and Dark Eldar. They were the first to abandon the Eldar Empire, well before the Craftworlds, and they were always isolationists by choice rather than neccesity. They set out to stand on their own, and they managed to do so. Even spiritually, they are set apart from their kin. Exodites do have spirit stones, but they are do not have Infinity Circuits, rather they have a spiritual network encompassing their entire world (can't remenber what it's called though;)). Exodites do not have Paths either. The problem with making them an army, though, is that apparently they have zero capacity for space travel and no fleet either...

That being said, I would rather see an Ad-mech army. The Ad-mech are massively present in fluff and already have models in other armies. Heck, Ad-mech armies and warmachinges are even explicitly mentioned in the background material. Also, the army could be quite different from other both in terms of minis and gameplay. In short; Massive gothic warmachines and servitors? Yes, please! :D

Snotteef
18-02-2009, 14:37
When you say lost and the dammed do you mean legion of the dammed?

in which case i would love a legion of the dammed codex

I believe it has been explained, more than once in this thread, that lost and the damned is an army of Cultists/traitor guard with mutants and a tad of Chaos Space Marine support.

Emperor's Avenger
18-02-2009, 15:08

Lost and the Damned is a general term for the majority of the servants of Chaos, which are neither daemons nor Space Marines; instead a collection of traitor Guardsmen, cultists and rebels, human slaves and mutants. And also a few obscure alien races, but they don't really come into it.

Draquenoire
18-02-2009, 15:56
So you're saying the Lost and the Damned are the Legion of the damned?

Just kidding!

Illiterate Scribe
18-02-2009, 16:03
To everyone saying Lost and the Damned - such an army list does already exist in IA 5. Sure, FW stuff isn't accepted everywhere, but since it's very close to existing IG anyway, it would work. They're also releasing more chaos-y stuff as time goes on, eg Hounds of Xaphan.

GeneralDisaster
18-02-2009, 17:52
We NEED the return of the races from Rogue Trader:

Jokaero, Squats, Original Tyranids, Pirate Eldar, and possibly some of the monsters...Bouncers...they used to be SOOOO cute.

guillaume
18-02-2009, 18:07
At this point it is near impossible to visit "new and uncharted territories" without either compromising the setting and getting the "the C'tan did it" effect, or making the new army insignificant plotwise and thus less appealing to a lot of people.

But considering that we are only dealing with one region of space, and one galaxy, how difficult is it to have something completely new arriving from other galaxies.

The evolution of organic life on earth has produced an incredible diversity of life forms over the 500 millions, since the first hard and soft shelled organisms appeared. I don't see why the earth effect can't be repeated outside of the space dominated by the empirium or the c'tan.

I still think an army of monstrous gorilla like warriors 'a la AT-43' would be a total new and experience (and by the way, no i dont play this game, but just find the models interesting, and since I study primate evolution during my day job, it is not surprising i find those models interesting either).

After all, when the ogres came out in fantasy, or the tau in 40K, it had a big impact on player's wanting to game (playing against the new guys) and old players getting back in, and getting new players in...

So i think brand new army it should be.

Ubermensch Commander
18-02-2009, 18:42
Actually I just want to see the existing armies updated and redone.
As for brand new codices, the only one I see actually happening is the Mechanicus and Squats. The rest could be done simply be adding in unit options to existing codices or are really tricky to try and justify with their own codex(without going back to the 3rd edition strategy of redundant/ duplicate units saying *see codex: XXXXX for this unit*.

Exodites in the Craftworld Eldar book(ala 2nd edition).
Genestealer Cult would likely be doable with some unit options in the Tyranid codex (Magus for example, or some cultys) The issue being that if you mixed main Tyranid units(Gaunts, Tyrants, etc) it would be very dodgy in terms of fluff. After all, I am pretty sure the Cultists are first on the menu when the Hive Fleet lands. After all that space travel they are bound to be a bit peckish and OH HEY! free food!
LaTD...Ok...Chaos Guard. With Mutants. and Maybe Daemons? and Maybe Chaos Space Marines? Wait what? They would have to go with a cohesive idea behind this one, IE a Mutant force or a Traitor guard force, otherwise it would have alot of redudant *check codex: YYYYYY for this unit* which then somewhat reduces the purpose or validity of a new codex. Does not mean it cannot/willnot/shouldnot happen, just saying it makes it harder to justify when someone picks it up and goes "I need HOW many other books just to fill in my troops choices? BAH!" or "Wait, they get everything(almost) my army gets and THEN some? BAH!"

Squats would take a complete reimagining and overhaul to fit into the current edition but it could be done. Quite a decent fan effort has been discussed right here on Warseer in the "Death of the Squats" thread. They can be made different enough to warrant their own army.
2 problems I see however: 1) Gameplay niche. What kind of army would they be? Elite small numbers presumably. Check. Now how to make them different from other Elite small numbers army so as not to create a "Short Space Marine" army. Trying to get a "feel" for them would potentially be difficult. Hardly insurmoutnably, but GW would require someone to get the "inspiration" and "feel" for them. Otherwise...it would not get done.
2) Generating Interest in the army amongst buyers. While looking around the forum there is a goodly bit o love for the Squats, it is important to remember, this forum represents an incredibly small number of players. O' and as with any "brand new army/codex" you have those who own existing non updated armies saying "Hey! What about us?" So how does one introduce the Squats into the existing mythos without making them either A) Inconsequential and therefore seemingly redundat or B) As another poster here pointed out, running into the "A C'tan did it!" problem.

Ad mech-blah! Done typing, I pass. Maybe I will get back to them later.

In short, several problems with introducing brand new armies, many of whom it is difficult to justify as a brand new army and who could probably be represented by using existing codices and/or adding new units into them. PDF minidexes may be order here.

Count de Monet
18-02-2009, 19:06
LaTD...Ok...Chaos Guard. With Mutants. and Maybe Daemons? and Maybe Chaos Space Marines? Wait what? They would have to go with a cohesive idea behind this one, IE a Mutant force or a Traitor guard force, otherwise it would have alot of redudant *check codex: YYYYYY for this unit* which then somewhat reduces the purpose or validity of a new codex. Does not mean it cannot/willnot/shouldnot happen, just saying it makes it harder to justify when someone picks it up and goes "I need HOW many other books just to fill in my troops choices? BAH!" or "Wait, they get everything(almost) my army gets and THEN some? BAH!"

Welcome to the Inquisition! ;)

Seriously, this would be a relatively easy way to do LatD - do it as the Chaotic counterpart to WH/DH. Book that can be standalone or combined in limited ways with CSM or Daemons.

Ubermensch Commander
18-02-2009, 20:04
@ Count de Monet
Yeah they pretty much were the Inquistion.
That is what I was trying to get at though; since that design philosophy has been set aside by GW, making it work WITHOUT going back to that 3rd edition format seems somewhat problematic.
Let's hear your ideas though, since I got nothing concrete, please elaborate on how it could be combined effectively with CSM or Daemons?
Also, why should it combined with CSM and Daemons?
Let's say that GW stays with the whole "not referencing other codices" with their books.
How would you go about making a LaTD force? (I am curious cuz I got nothing besides making a mutant horde style force since I am not for a Chaos Guard codex. Mainly because we have a Guard codex! Just slap on them 8 pointed stars and cry out Death to the False Emperor!)

thenamelessdead
18-02-2009, 20:35
My proposal:

A new codex containing four or five new 'armies'. Basically each new 'race' has a list that involves part of one or more main codex. This enables GW to boost the number of armies dramatically without harming existing forces' sellability too much, and possibly even increasing it. It could also open up the potential for some good rules for allies accross the board.

For example, Genestealer Cults get a new list in this book. This requires Codex: Imperial Guard and Codex: Tyranids (maybe just C:IG) in order to work. What you need to field the army is a certain amount of Imperial Guard and a smattering of new Genestealer Cult models (e.g. hybrids and magii).

This is pretty similar to how the campaign book Eye Of Terror works really, in that all GW provide is an official framework for you to use and the rest is down to your imagination.

Another example would be new rules for the Lost and the Damned, Exodites, the Imperial departments (who'd like to see electro priests?!), feral orks, squats... whatever.

elf_hater_7
18-02-2009, 20:53
am i the only one whos thinking about adeptus arbites? even if they werent given a dex i'd love to see some models

Necromancer2
18-02-2009, 20:55
My proposal:

A new codex containing four or five new 'armies'. Basically each new 'race' has a list that involves part of one or more main codex. This enables GW to boost the number of armies dramatically without harming existing forces' sellability too much, and possibly even increasing it. It could also open up the potential for some good rules for allies accross the board.

For example, Genestealer Cults get a new list in this book. This requires Codex: Imperial Guard and Codex: Tyranids (maybe just C:IG) in order to work. What you need to field the army is a certain amount of Imperial Guard and a smattering of new Genestealer Cult models (e.g. hybrids and magii).

This is pretty similar to how the campaign book Eye Of Terror works really, in that all GW provide is an official framework for you to use and the rest is down to your imagination.

Another example would be new rules for the Lost and the Damned, Exodites, the Imperial departments (who'd like to see electro priests?!), feral orks, squats... whatever.

This idea is the best.... It's workable... won't tick too many people off, and this way we don't end up with Space Fish or something.

Though I do think Squats and Demirge could fit in nicely.

pringles978
19-02-2009, 14:44
am i the only one whos thinking about adeptus arbites? even if they werent given a dex i'd love to see some models

check out the minidex on bols. the genestealer cult one is a miss but the arbites one is excellent

Count de Monet
19-02-2009, 15:01

IIRC it's rumored that the upcoming plastic stormtroopers will be able to be built to look like Arbites.

deadpool2345
19-02-2009, 15:22
Squats.
arbites
custodes(YEAH RIGHT! like theyd make them..)
ah well.... a teen can dream.......

DP

Mannimarco
19-02-2009, 15:23
make your own and proxy them as grey knights, thats as close as your going to get im afraid, i to wanna see the return of the squats

Brucopeloso
19-02-2009, 15:32
How about codex "Scum of the galaxy", pirates, mutants, xenos mercenaires and human misfits?

Think about it, this would give GW the chance of doing something like Dogs of War for 40K with cool background, cool minis for lesser races (kroots, hruds, demiurgs etc.), mutants and whatever else they can cram in it.

The codex would have a lot of appeal for modellers and lovers of LaTD and Squats former glories, collectors of bizarre models and xeno lovers but would also enable players with mainstream armies to add a couple of merc units (increasing revenue for GW).

Ok, I know, wishful thinking but what the heck!

Mannimarco
19-02-2009, 16:24
not as wishful thinking as you might think, it sounds like codex rogue trader, that would work

Dr.Clock
19-02-2009, 16:56
Bruco nails it: 40k 'dogs of war'.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Dwarf Supreme
19-02-2009, 17:02
I would like to see a new alien race. Something non bipedal or very alien. A "space Dwarf" army would also be nice to finally fill that gap in 40K.

GW had Space Dwarfs and got rid of them. They were called Squats.

thenamelessdead
19-02-2009, 18:14
Bruco nails it: 40k 'dogs of war'.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

I think the 40k universe is a little too sprawling for this to work, mostly in terms of fluff. The point of DoW is that they fight for any side - I can't see any Eldar teaming up with orks, chaos, tryannids (!) and Necrons, for example.

GeneralDisaster
19-02-2009, 19:06
Squats.
arbites
custodes(YEAH RIGHT! like theyd make them..)
ah well.... a teen can dream.......

DP

Arbites-Models have been produced, and I have a REALLY ancient episode of WD with rules for the Arbites in from before 2nd edition, still with Rogue Trader system.

The custodes would be awesome, but they'd fill the same 'hate spot' as the Marines. Dare I say even the smurfs? Againm i coudl use the rules from RT for them, perhaps as an addition to my SOB.

thenamelessdead
19-02-2009, 19:17
Arbites-Models have been produced, and I have a REALLY ancient episode of WD with rules for the Arbites in from before 2nd edition, still with Rogue Trader system.

The recent Necromunda models could also be used.

GeneralDisaster
19-02-2009, 20:42
The recent Necromunda models could also be used.

Good point. Or you could use the RT rules.

Snotteef
19-02-2009, 22:18
@ Count de Monet
How would you go about making a LaTD force? (I am curious cuz I got nothing besides making a mutant horde style force since I am not for a Chaos Guard codex. Mainly because we have a Guard codex! Just slap on them 8 pointed stars and cry out Death to the False Emperor!)

It really wouldn't be that hard. The dex would focus on Cultists/Traitor guard with some mutants. Then as elites, they may take Chaos Space Marine units (you don't need the C:CSM for this, just reprint the entry in the new book as elites). For fast attack you may take Daemons (again, just lift the entry from C:CSM... cuz they'd get the generic guys, not the speshul 'uns, and put it in the new dex). Add in some vehicles (probably Russes, Rhinos, Chimeras, Defilers and something new), spice up the wargear section with a mix of Imperial, Chaos, and new equipment. There. Now it's all in one codex and it should work fine, while still able to represent several styles of LatD armies.

Grimbad
19-02-2009, 23:39
Space Jellyfish.
The next race should be non-humanoid, and if you're going non-humanoid, why not invertebrate? Of course wearing armor would be pretty hard, so they could specialize in force fields, which could be pretty cool.

TimLeeson
20-02-2009, 00:00
Space Jellyfish.
The next race should be non-humanoid, and if you're going non-humanoid, why not invertebrate? Of course wearing armor would be pretty hard, so they could specialize in force fields, which could be pretty cool.

I completely agree. 40k has slowly become more and more boring due to lack of any new races, and more so the lack of ANY entirely non-humanoid alien race. They are all FAR too conventional, and for a dark nightmarish gothic future - there sure isnt much dark nightmarish aliens out there.

If they did space jellyfish, then Enslavers would be the best bet I think - and you could easily expand them into a pure lovecraftian race, and it would be interesting to see their relationship with Chaos too - maybe they see Chaos as an imperfection of their "warp realm" and thus seek to elliminate it at the source ; us.

That said, it seems we are in the minority as most are either against new-armies (as far as even wanting LESS!), just want sub-factions of existing races- as continously posted on this thread so I doubt itll happen :( but DIY is fun...if you got the time. I always thought it was depressing when I first got into this hobby that after reading books like Xenology, Dark heresy ect that the backround races were c**pton more interesting and exciting than the ones which actual representation and models in the game. I guess GW have to do what sells though.

SimonL
20-02-2009, 00:50
I can't see a non-anthropomorphic major race. It's too "hard sci-fi" and not nearly "dark space fantasy". Tyranids are as close as you're gonna get.

For everyone mention the big monkey guys from AT-43...they have a 40k version....Jokaero! I was toying with the idea of creating a Jokaero army with them and "counts as" SM or something.

TimLeeson
20-02-2009, 01:54
I can't see a non-anthropomorphic major race. It's too "hard sci-fi" and not nearly "dark space fantasy". Tyranids are as close as you're gonna get.

For everyone mention the big monkey guys from AT-43...they have a 40k version....Jokaero! I was toying with the idea of creating a Jokaero army with them and "counts as" SM or something.

I disagree. Things like that are TOTALLY dark space fantasy. You should read some HP Lovecraft or other eldritch fantasy-horror stuff.. dark space fantasy isnt just lord of the rings in space.

GeneralDisaster
20-02-2009, 07:05
I disagree. Things like that are TOTALLY dark space fantasy. You should read some HP Lovecraft or other eldritch fantasy-horror stuff.. dark space fantasy isnt just lord of the rings in space.

Luffcraf rocks.

Cthulu Flargn!

Brucopeloso
20-02-2009, 08:03
not as wishful thinking as you might think, it sounds like codex rogue trader, that would work

Man that would be awesome!:eek:

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
21-02-2009, 17:42
What about a whole seperate army for Harlequins, the only problem is I can't see how GW could add more variety, but the Solitaire as a HQ choice would be awesome!

Putty
21-02-2009, 17:57
Oh this is easy...

1) A Sisters of Battle codex with Plastic Sisters models for the whole range.

2) A Grey Knights codex with Plastic Grey Knight models for the whole range.

Oh my... these two alone will simply fly off the shelves.

These two armies are guaranteed money-makers for GW so WHY don't they make them?

The mysteries of the universe is baffling.

SimonL
21-02-2009, 18:12
I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, which is why I don't think it fits well into 40k (which is Lord of the Rings in Space, 'cept everyone is bad lol). The reason the Lovecraft Mythos is so good is that humans are the protagonists, helpless against the horrors of the "real" universe that they can't possibly understand. In 40k humans are effectively the masters of the galaxy, and the Emperor is the most powerful being. It lacks the unknown quality that predominates Lovecrafts work.

I mean, remember when 40k was mysterious?...like the Heresy in 2nd Ed, it was all legend and superstition. Now by the end of the HH series we'll know what the Emperor takes in his coffee and what color boxers he put on before battling Horus...

Check out CthulhuTech RPG, it's a post apocalyptic/mecha/magic/moster bash is you want "Space-Lovecraft" :)

Brother Enok
21-02-2009, 18:56
Codex: Alien hunters.

Because the ordo Xenos never get the lime-light.

celticsam
21-02-2009, 19:04
With GW loosly allowing 40K to follow Warhammer (Elves to Eldar...even in the names of weapons and such...ect), I would really like to see a 40K version of Goblins as an addition to the Orks. Slightly smarter Orks with Imperial Guard moral, and oddball weapons. Of course, Squats would be nice...but, hey. Thunderers with IG weapons make nice squats. Still, a race of dwarves with weapons based on their mining practices would be very interesting.

Then there's the new Lizardmen. They would be SWEEET in 40K format. My opinion.

susu.exp
21-02-2009, 20:18
If they brought back the Squats, Iīd probably hate them (simply because I donīt think they could beat the Varyngr and Iīm too emotionally attached to them).

A non-humanoid race would be nice - then again, itīd still have to play to the human psyche to work. I could see something based on bivalves, able to really go to the ground (with some additional bonus) - opting each turn for immobile and hrad to kill, or fragile and good offensively.

LatD would be nice - I like the IA stuff and the gorgeous models to go with it, but some plastics would rock.

Something cavallery heavy could also be nice, with spread transport (i.e. each riding beast could transport an aditional infantry model, disembark, ride on...)

The AdMech would be great, simply because I can think of pretty great models for them.

Pacific
21-02-2009, 20:21
I voted 'yes', but I don't want the squats in their previous form to return.

'Space dwarf analogue' would have been a better term (and I think would have got a hell of a lot more 'yes' votes as well!)

volair
21-02-2009, 21:34
I think that they should make space monkeys (as in planet of the apes). In the fluff they could expand upon the religion versus science theme from the movie.

TimLeeson
21-02-2009, 21:35
I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, which is why I don't think it fits well into 40k (which is Lord of the Rings in Space, 'cept everyone is bad lol). The reason the Lovecraft Mythos is so good is that humans are the protagonists, helpless against the horrors of the "real" universe that they can't possibly understand. In 40k humans are effectively the masters of the galaxy, and the Emperor is the most powerful being. It lacks the unknown quality that predominates Lovecrafts work.

I mean, remember when 40k was mysterious?...like the Heresy in 2nd Ed, it was all legend and superstition. Now by the end of the HH series we'll know what the Emperor takes in his coffee and what color boxers he put on before battling Horus...

Check out CthulhuTech RPG, it's a post apocalyptic/mecha/magic/moster bash is you want "Space-Lovecraft" :)

Thats a fair point and a good arguement, I can understand your perspectively clearly - but I still have to respectfully disagree. Everyone has their tastes, but mine and my buddies tastes arent actually represented in the game. We all like weird abstract stuff.

Perhaps if Games workshop allowed 100% scratchbuilds to be played at tournements and in the shops it wouldnt bug me, but since we can only do "friendly" games, which gets a bit boring at times considering its just the five of us, it does bug me. I would be totally happy with a small range like necrons got in 2nd edition and a white-dwarf codex though. My vote would go to Enslavers as previously mentioned, Umbra or Slaughth.

Snotteef
21-02-2009, 23:31
[QUOTE=celticsam;3313325]With GW loosly allowing 40K to follow Warhammer (Elves to Eldar...even in the names of weapons and such...ect), I would really like to see a 40K version of Goblins as an addition to the Orks. Slightly smarter Orks with Imperial Guard moral, and oddball weapons. QUOTE]

So, you want rebel grots? Gretchen ARE 40k goblins. They even used some of the same models back in the RT days.

SimonL
21-02-2009, 23:45
So, you want rebel grots? Gretchen ARE 40k goblins. They even used some of the same models back in the RT days.

Ah the old "Gretchen taking a dump in a Marine helmet" model :D

And Tim, you could always just proxy a bunch of Call of Cthulhu minis :p

Cypher, the Emperor
22-02-2009, 01:05
I think that they should make space monkeys (as in planet of the apes). In the fluff they could expand upon the religion versus science theme from the movie.

At-43 tried this an failed.

And Exodite Eldar, just so we get a second terrible anime army.

Axel
22-02-2009, 06:59
ADEPTUS MACHANICUS

And while we are here, do not drop but expand on:
Inquisition - including Assassins, Adeptus Arbites and other weired inquisitorial stuff
Ecclesiarchy - mainly Adeptus Sororita, but including crusades, priests, Arcos, etc
Grey Knights should get the treatment of a (special) Space Marine order

laudarkul
22-02-2009, 07:11
-Adeptus Mechanicus / Dark Adeptus
-Squats / Demiurg
-Blood Pact / Son's of Sek / Traitor guard

Focalor
22-02-2009, 07:48
I too would like to see the Hrud created. The Lost and Damned would also be nice but what about the Daemon World Army list mixing chaos marine, daemons and the like that they used to have back in what was it - 3rd edition was it ? Surely such a list wouldn't be hard to recreate rather than just have that ability 2 use all three in Apocalypse. Chaos armies don't just consist of either daemons or marines or traitor guard. They pretty much have the miniatures already. just my 2 cents.

Jokubas
22-02-2009, 08:20
Adeptus Mechanicus
I don't know too much about them, but they seem pretty popular.

Squats/Demiurg/Equivalent
I can think of a million ways to avoid the problem that led to them being axed, surely GW can think of at least one of those.

Lost and the Damned
It just seems so obvious. To me it is a gap that is currently not filled.

Others
I'd like to see others, but GW really needs to reorganize the way they do armies before it'll ever be viable, and I hope they do. They need to find a way to support smaller/less popular armies without giving them decade-long update cycles. PDFs on the site and convert-your-own to fill out a lack of models until they get around to it would be fine by me.

fluffstalker
22-02-2009, 12:02
Jokubas summed my choices up pretty much :P.

Lost and the Dammned were like Vampier counts for Sci Fi. They were just fun to play and play against, and offered great conversion opportunities.

Slightly off topic query:

What are the charactersitics of the demiurg? Are they dwarfish like xenos? Ive seen some nice looking BFG ships for their race, they have heavy firepower and tough armour, but are slowish. Should their army be simliar?

Mannimarco
22-02-2009, 13:38
theyre freaky looking klingon dwarf type creatures who IIRC played a big part in the tau hammerhead tanks ion cannon, not sure if they made it and sold it on to the tau when they joined the empire or developed it with the earth caste though

susu.exp
22-02-2009, 14:51
The Demiurg are small Xenos - ask Xisor for more, heīs the walking Demiurg library... I donīt think weīve seen any official art, there were a couple of concept Sketches, but it isnīt clear whether they were for the Demiurg or stem from back in the day when there were Squats. There are some Dwarf-archetype ideas in them, their ships in BFG are called brotherhood ships and we know they are craftspeople.

For the Varyngr, check the tDotS thread. Thereīs cetrainly a lot of D-archetype in there, though in parts more Pratchett than Tolkien (if you want to know the mindset of the Varyngr, Cpt. Carrot is a pretty good match). Itīs all about honesty and - since the bugs came - defiance. A somewhat stoic attitude: "Well, the hold is wrecked and weīre the only survivors? Letīs get a shovel and clean the mess up". With a living ancestor standing around saying "In my day, we didnīt even have shovels. See that tunnel over there? I carved that with my toenails".
Grimdark pitchblack humor. Complaining about the seasoning on the leg of deceased copassengers after an airplane crash out of nowhere...

TimLeeson
22-02-2009, 15:19
My friends doing a space-dwarf miniature-range for this year, called Dwerches. Their way better than anything else iv found because they are more like the germanic dwarves of olde - i.e. made of maggots, turn to stone in daylight and really ugly.

Tymell
22-02-2009, 15:22
NECRONS!!!

oh wait they did that and forgot about them... now they be epic fails... hmpf

Necrons can complain about being forgotten when Dark Eldar get their new codex, and not before :p

With regards to the actual poll attached (which seems a little separate from the OP): I voted no. Reason being that I wouldn't want "Squats" to return, I think they were a mess, and wouldn't fit in with how things are now. Would I like to see them in a new, different form? Yes. But not Squats per se.

Grand Master Raziel
22-02-2009, 16:26
I vote for Lost and the Damned, too. That's a huge tier of the Chaos forces that's missing from the system, and counts-as-IG just doesn't cut it.

Sons of Alaitoc v.2
23-02-2009, 20:38
They should definately produce a non-humanoid army. 2 legs, and 2 arms?Again? ''Shudder'' :(

Easy E
24-02-2009, 00:19
If you look in my sig, you can see that I am all for Varingyr (or a re-envisioning of Squats) that Susu.ex referred to earlier.

I like LaTD alot too.

Sideros Peltarion
24-02-2009, 09:17
Although not a new army, I would really like to see an update of Kroot Mercenaries

Lisiecki
24-02-2009, 09:37
I completely agree. 40k has slowly become more and more boring due to lack of any new races, and more so the lack of ANY entirely non-humanoid alien race. They are all FAR too conventional, and for a dark nightmarish gothic future - there sure isnt much dark nightmarish aliens out there.

You mean like the Necrons and the Tau?

The humanoid body template has a history in the fluff with the Old Ones getting there slimy lill hands in everything back in the long ago

And Exodite Eldar, just so we get a second terrible anime army.

Theres an anime army?
what one is that?
I'm ASSUMING your refering to the Eldar.
The whole "defeating your foes in space, because of your psychic power" thing sounds like Robotech.
or
Space Marines could be seen as an army of Guivers
or
Nids could be seen as any number of disturbing alien antagonist that exist in anime...

holmcross
24-02-2009, 10:14
Theres an anime army?
what one is that?
The whole "defeating your foes in space, because of your psychic power" thing sounds like Robotech.
or
or
Nids could be seen as any number of disturbing alien antagonist that exist in anime...

The Tau Crisis suits are pretty reminiscent of the mecha from robotech, sans the stupid looking chicken legs.

My experience has been that many anime fans go for eldar or tau. Eldar, because most anime features effeminate characters (elves are always the first pick), and I'd guess Tau for the lure of mecha.

Lisiecki
24-02-2009, 10:20
The Tau Crisis suits are pretty reminiscent of the mecha from robotech, sans the stupid looking chicken legs.

Really?

I always thought they were MUCH more reminiscent of elemental battle suits from Battle Tech

than the Mecha from Robotech
but i guess thats all the eye of the beholder and such

My experience has been that many anime fans go for eldar or tau. Eldar, because most anime features effeminate characters (elves are always the first pick), and I'd guess Tau for the lure of mecha.

Wow, You know with 50 years of Manga that's recognizable as manga. with $4.4 BILLION dollar market in japan and $200 million dollar market in America. (by all book seller reports DWARFING the sales of American comics)
it seems pretty silly to say that "most anime features effeminate characters"

zoggin-eck
24-02-2009, 10:55
I honestly like the way it is now. This, even coming from someone who lost an official army list for my Genestealer cult army when 3rd edition rolled out.

Squats to me, even when they were current, seemed out of place. Never took them seriously then, and won't really now. A re-design would be fun, but would have to be done well to make it worth it. I can imagine them dropping or just ignoring them like the Dark Eldar.

I don't think simply adding more "alien/different" races would solve anything. If you want that sort of thing, model your own, proxy or play one of the many other games out there. 40k is mankind's story at heart.

That said, somehow finding a place for the adeptus mechanicus would be cool. Too late for codex imperial guard to have a bit for them, but I really think that there is enough to go by at the moment. I'd rather people focused on the look rather than new rules for them, there's enough imp guard options to make it "feel right".

Lost and the damned just certainly need a go. Fantasy gets three chaos books, and LatD would be a good counter for Beasts of Chaos. Having in the background for the game, mutants and rebel guard, often led by chaos marines as the most common chaos threat and not showing this in the game is just stupid though. Do it properly please, not just an excuse to sell catachan, ork and marauder sprues together :)

To me, Tau look just as much like any other idea of near-future human forces, not just "anime anime anime", we get it. Painted up to look a little grittier with battle damage goes a long way to make them less anime than the bright colours often used.

Again, part of me wants to say make the Genestealer cult again, or any other nostalgic army, but I would rather they focus on the races already there. I like 40k because of what it is, not what I think it should be (and that doesn't just mean I'm a GW fanboy or whatever)

Artois
24-02-2009, 11:51
I would like to see army lists for Ordo Xenos, a Mechanicus army, a non-FW traitor guard army. However, I don't really like the squats. Maybe a single special charachter in some army or something but nothing more.

Also it might be fun to see a totally new army. Something Lizardmenish or something else=)

hugsforthebloodgod
24-02-2009, 16:34
I'd love to see a Xenos Mercinaries' list that incorperated all the old figures, Zoats, Squat Bikers, Hrud, Jokero as mech's. The HQ choices could include Rogue Traders, Ordo Xenos Radicals, Tau Water Caste and even an Orc Bloodaxe Warboss.

It would be a cool way to incorperate a big range of models from diverse sources. I bet they would have a crazy play style as well. GW might do it to. It does have the advantage of monetizing some old intellectual properties that are just lying around..

Wolf Sgt Kirke
24-02-2009, 16:46
I'd like the new guard codex to incorporate rules for PDFs and adeptus arbites as these are the poor souls who usually have to face invading armies till the imperium realises something is up - a lost and the damned list could be incorporated to and a pilgrim/civic militia list would be nice to, add to that a 'stealer cult list and i'd be a very happy gamer - obviously i'd also like to see the Tanith done as a seperate list and finally get some more mini's (plastic preferably) with options for all the regiments they have served alongside and a bloodpact list - chuck in Saint Sabbat and a few named characters (with a chronological limit - i'e no bellaphron characters alongside 'Try Again' Bragg or some such) and i'd spend more of my paycheck on GW stuff!

Cypher, the Emperor
24-02-2009, 22:39
You mean like the Necrons and the Tau?

The humanoid body template has a history in the fluff with the Old Ones getting there slimy lill hands in everything back in the long ago

Theres an anime army?
what one is that?
or
or

nah, I was talking about Tau.

The Exodite backround however is very anime-esque. Because you have these small worlds defended by small squads of "knights" which are single pilot mini-titans that exist to defend their worlds from alien attack without the hassle of having to equip and feild an entire army.

Its very Gundam/Eva in its concept.

Lisiecki
24-02-2009, 23:11
nah, I was talking about Tau.

Thats my bad
Ive never seen an anime about a race of alien conquers who believe them selves to be benevolent dictators

dodo129
25-02-2009, 03:20
But I'm sure you have seen an anime involving a lot of mecha.

I'm going to have to say Harlequins here. There is so little interesting stuff in 40K right now, and Harlies might be able to stay fast, elitist and very hard to play for a few years at least before they're dumbed down like everything else.

Lisiecki
25-02-2009, 03:52
But I'm sure you have seen an anime involving a lot of mecha.

Oh of corse i have, im not going to lie about that.
But Crisis suits are more Power Armour than any thing else, and i don't see any one calling the Tau "a starship troopers ripoff".

If anything Titians are much more Mechaish

loveless
25-02-2009, 03:56
it seems pretty silly to say that "most anime features effeminate characters"

Well...most may not...but most good ones do :p

Lisiecki
25-02-2009, 03:58
Well...most may not...but most good ones do :p

Darn

I have no real argument against that.
Except for FotNS

Those are manly men. and womanly women

holmcross
25-02-2009, 04:30
Darn

I have no real argument against that.
Except for FotNS

Those are manly men. and womanly women

As with all generalizations, outliers do exist... But are you really suggesting that the bulk of anime doesn't feature characters that are both effeminate in appearance and attitude? The more recent the anime, the more my generalization holds true.

My experience has been that when a 'manly' character is featured in anime, they're pretty much an exagerated parody of masculinity, such as in FotNS.

Lisiecki
25-02-2009, 04:37
As with all generalizations, outliers do exist... But are you really suggesting that the bulk of anime doesn't feature characters that are both effeminate in appearance and attitude? The more recent the anime, the more my generalization holds true.

Yes, I am suggesting that the bulk of anime doesn't feature characters that are both effeminate in appearance and attitude.

This year alone, from announced series, the only series that i can think of that have effeminate characters are 07 Ghost and XxxHolic

holmcross
25-02-2009, 05:02
Yes, I am suggesting that the bulk of anime doesn't feature characters that are both effeminate in appearance and attitude.

This year alone, from announced series, the only series that i can think of that have effeminate characters are 07 Ghost and XxxHolic

We have very different defintions of effeminancy and masculinity, then. Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, Samuari Champloo and Inu Yasha are just some examples off the top of my head of popular anime that features what I consider to be extremely effeminate character design.

I'm at a disadvantage because I stopped watching anime many years ago, but I've seen enough to see the commonalities and trends in the style.

Lisiecki
25-02-2009, 05:10
We have very different defintions of effeminancy and masculinity, then. Death Note, Naruto, Bleach, Samuari Champloo and Inu Yasha are just some examples off the top of my head of popular anime that features what I consider to be extremely effeminate character design.

I'm at a disadvantage because I stopped watching anime many years ago, but I've seen enough to see the commonalities and trends in the style.

Well,

This is not me trying to sound like a snob, but I think we can agree that if stopped watching anime years ago, then all your seeing are the commodity and trends, then your not getting a representation of MOST anime.
If your going to say "The majority of anime in America that is popular features effeminate characters" well honestly i have no idea

If i were to judge comics biased only on the merchandise, I would assume that the vast majority of Superheros were named after animals, and have parents who's deaths are directly responsible to there origins.

rooster27
25-02-2009, 05:37
space vampires

Cypher, the Emperor
25-02-2009, 05:41

My experience has been that when a 'manly' character is featured in anime, they're pretty much an exagerated parody of masculinity, such as in FotNS.

I don't know, it seems like modern anime is leaning twoards MORE masculine characters.

Like Bato from ghost in the shell, or Chief Yagami from Deathnote. Even the new Gundam series has a distinct lack of feminine, mask wearing badguys. But when you go back in time, thats when you get lots of crazy stuff like Escaflowne where everyone seems to be in various stages of drag.

And FoTNS is manly? One of the main characters abilities is to shoot exploding rainbow beams :wtf:

And anyone who doesn't think the Tau are anime based is daft. I mean, look at their armor, look at their mechs, look at their guns. If you showed them to someone who didn't play 40k they would assume they were anime figures. And the style is very deliberate, they even carry katana into battle!

Lisiecki
25-02-2009, 05:56
I don't know, it seems like modern anime is leaning twoards MORE masculine characters.

Like Bato from ghost in the shell, or Chief Yagami from Deathnote. Even the new Gundam series has a distinct lack of feminine, mask wearing badguys. But when you go back in time, thats when you get lots of crazy stuff like Escaflowne where everyone seems to be in various stages of drag.

And FoTNS is manly? One of the main characters abilities is to shoot exploding rainbow beams :wtf:

And anyone who doesn't think the Tau are anime based is daft. I mean, look at their armor, look at their mechs, look at their guns. If you showed them to someone who didn't play 40k they would assume they were anime figures. And the style is very deliberate, they even carry katana into battle!

W00T im DAFT

Again, i think that the look of the Tau owes much more to the blocky stocky stout look of Battletech, heavy gear.
WarWalkers and Wraithlords have more the lines that i associate with anime mecha.

Also, the shear scale of the mecha. The typical gundam is 60 or so feet tall, and and eva is assumed to be 130 feet by most fans.
The Crisis suits of The Tau are what some where between 12 and 15 feet tall?
Much more inline with the Powered Armor of Starship Troopers, Battle Tech, and Exo suits of various western science fiction.

Eldar Titians, seem like the exact image of the typical anime mecha...

What crisis suit has a katana on it?

holmcross
25-02-2009, 06:03
Well,

This is not me trying to sound like a snob, but I think we can agree that if stopped watching anime years ago, then all your seeing are the commodity and trends, then your not getting a representation of MOST anime.
If your going to say "The majority of anime in America that is popular features effeminate characters" well honestly i have no idea

I mentioned anime that came after my time which follows the trends I've named. They're some of the most popular anime out there, which suggests that they shape/cater to (chicken or the egg distinction) people's tastes, which leads to my hypothesis that fans of anime tend to like effeminate character design (Elves/Eldar).

Lisiecki
25-02-2009, 06:14
I mentioned anime that came after my time which follows the trends I've named. They're some of the most popular anime out there, which suggests that they shape/cater to (chicken or the egg distinction) people's tastes, which leads to my hypothesis that fans of anime tend to like effeminate character design (Elves/Eldar).

Well...
Detective Conan has been an ongoing tv series for 12 years (nearly 500 eps)
and One Piece holds a manga sales record in Japan, with 2,630,000 units sold in its first printing alone just because as of Volume 46, the series has sold over 140,000,000 copies domestically, and is the fastest manga to reach sales of 100,000,000.

Neither are all that popular over here. One Peice is also the most successful and most critically acclaimed manga from the collection that Naurto is in, so im going to have to disaggre with you.

Naurto and Bleach... Well again i really don't see the effimity of the characters... One is about a prepubescent (later pubescent) ninja.
The other is about an incarnate death god...

do you mean androgynous?

I still disaggre with you but it makes more sence for what you seem to be saying

As for Kenshiro being a paradoy of masculinity, well you may as well say that Superman is as well.

any ways, thats all i really have for this, we've dragged the thread off topic enough, if youd like to talk about this some more, feel free to PM me or to start a thread about the Tau in anime.

ChaosVC
25-02-2009, 06:58
Pig in Space?

Industrial Propaganda
25-02-2009, 10:34
Codex : World Eaters.

Magelite
25-02-2009, 14:38
Lost and the Damned, Exodites, Adeptus Mechicus, and Demiurg.

a squig
25-02-2009, 15:18
Please no more from the impurim, mechanicus or any chaos, it would cause further stagnation in the 40k races. A compleatly new race compleatly diffrent, like nids are from other races. But from this galaxy may give the extra dimesion to the game. how about shapeshifters with very very high energy wepons.

you got the evil chaos forces how about a a balance of superpowerfull good based gods. these could have the equivelent of angles fighting demons etc.

Max_Killfactor
25-02-2009, 15:20
Dark Eldar
Hrud
LatD

GeneralDisaster
25-02-2009, 18:38
Custodes again?

With regards to the suggestions about 'Angels', this is the GRIM future, not a fairy story. Unless it's the original version of the story...*gibbers*

exMudPuppy
26-02-2009, 13:13
you got the evil chaos forces how about a a balance of superpowerfull good based gods. these could have the equivelent of angles fighting demons etc.

ummmmm, wouldn't that be The Emperor? This is what makes The Emperor so important in the 40K universe. And his "angels" are the Angels of Death. The ones that fight demons are called Grey Knights. :)

a squig
26-02-2009, 13:23
ummmmm, wouldn't that be The Emperor? This is what makes The Emperor so important in the 40K universe. And his "angels" are the Angels of Death. The ones that fight demons are called Grey Knights. :)

:rolleyes:;) i was thinking more of warp based creatures that are not realy tied to any race.

basically karma in 40k do bad things slanessh happens, do good things and err nothing happens

we need the oposites of the choas gods.

exMudPuppy
26-02-2009, 13:42
I see what you're saying, but as GeneralDisaster stated, this is the "Grim" future. Having good things happen to you for doing good things doesn't fit the setting. The only good thing that may happen to you, if you do a good thing, is you may live to fight tomorrow. The reason I brought up The Emperor is, according to the fluff, he is the opposite of the Chaos gods. I just personally don't see it as a valid option. But then again, this post is what army you want GW to come out with, so ignore me and keep on asking.:D

boogle
26-02-2009, 13:45
Mechanicus models (but let FW do them)
the Ordos done properly
Hrud
Flesh out the Kroot Merc list and give Tau a couple of extra alien races.
Rouge Trader lists and models